Ballon d'Or 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

You cant use a blanket comparison like that though.

You used the comparison of Arsenal winning 7 FA cups over 20 years to show that its somehow easier to do.

Then why haven't teams like Newcastle won the FA Cup in over 20 years? Because they are not of the same standard as Arsenal.

We have played in one 1 European final because we are not traditionally in the top 5 clubs in Europe.

As i have shown above, certain clubs have made almost as many European Finals in the last 20 years as Arsenal has FA Cups. It is easier for them to do because they are of a higher standard than the rest of the teams.
A lot of teams don't care about the FA Cup anymore. I wish they all tried but they don't. All UCL clubs try and win the comp. Even Wenger didn't care about it in the years he played the kids. Now he's under pressure he takes it seriously.

A lot of teams don't care about the FA Cup anymore. I wish they all tried but they don't. All UCL clubs try and win the comp. Even Wenger didn't care about it in the years he played the kids. Now he's under pressure he takes it seriously.

I think you are confusing Wenger in the Carling Cup with the FA Cup.

We have played in one 1 European final because we are not traditionally in the top 5 clubs in Europe.

As i have shown above, certain clubs have made almost as many European Finals in the last 20 years as Arsenal has FA Cups. It is easier for them to do because they are of a higher standard than the rest of the teams.

Hence why I personally would value a European Cup semifinal appearance higher than I would an FA Cup final win. It demonstrates that you have reached a level where you're going to be considered among an elite handful of clubs not just domestically, but in world football.

You get lucky with the draw, and just about any team can make the FA cup final. The latter stages aren't just restricted to the top level clubs as we've seen over the years with Millwall, West Ham, Portsmouth x2, Cardiff, Stoke, Wigan, Hull (no offence SM!), which on the one hand is great because it gives us that whole 'romance of the cup' idea, but on the other hand you get the situation where people start devaluing the achievement because you've maybe had a fortunate run against a few lower league opponents en route to the final.

End of the day, while I still value the cup and would be thrilled if we won it, for me it's a lower priority and carries less prestige than the top domestic leagues and the European Cup.

You cant use a blanket comparison like that though.

You used the comparison of Arsenal winning 7 FA cups over 20 years to show that its somehow easier to do.

Then why haven't teams like Newcastle won the FA Cup in over 20 years? Because they are not of the same standard as Arsenal.

I think we were discussing different things here coz you just made my point. I guess you mean that winning the FA Cup for an Arsenal fan is like winning the CL for a Barcelona fan? Would still doubt that though but who am I to say?

The Golden Boy shortlist is out, there's a few interesting names on there.

Premier League Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Kurt Zouma (Chelsea), John Stones (Everton), Raheem Sterling, Lazar Markovic, Divock Origi (Liverpool), Adnan Januzaj, Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Nabil Bentaleb, Eric Dier (Tottenham).

La Liga Gerard Deulofeu (Sevilla), Aymeric Laporte (Athletic Bilbao), Sandro Ramirez, Munir El Haddai (Barcelona), Saúl Ñíguez (Atlético Madrid).

Serie A Domenico Berardi (Sassuolo), Bernardeschi Franco (Fiorentina), Kingsley Coman (Juventus), Keita Baldé Diao (Lazio), Mateo Kovacic (Inter).

Bundesliga Hakan Calhanoglu (Bayer Leverkusen), Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Gianluca Gaudino (Bayern Munich), Matthias Ginter (Borussia Dortmund), Julian Green (Hamburg), Maximilian Meyer (Schalke).

Ligue 1 Marquinhos, Adrien Rabiot (Paris Saint-Germain), Benjamin Mendy (Marseille), Lucas Ocampos (Monaco).

Eredivisie Tonny Vilhena (Feyenoord), Jetro Willems (PSV), Arkadiusz Milik (Ajax).

Jupiler League Dennis Praet, Alexander Mitrovic (Anderlecht).

Others Oliver Torres (Porto), Bruma (Galatasaray), Gonzalez (Basel), Nikola Ninkovic (Partizan Belgrade), Luka Zahovic (Maribor).

Good to see Liverpool well represented! Raheem the favourite I would've thought? Kovacic, Torres, Niguez, Berardi & Calhanoglu probably up there too.

some of those are on there just for the sake of it. i have no idea what the criteria is but it must not be too much for some of the names on there.

for me, it would be sterling and then jones/shaw/berardi/laporte/marquinhos/kovacic in no particular order. those guys are consistently playing senior football at a high level. but sterling runs away with it really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

some of those are on there just for the sake of it. i have no idea what the criteria is but it must not be too much for some of the names on there.

for me, it would be sterling and then jones/shaw/berardi/laporte/marquinhos/kovacic in no particular order. those guys are consistently playing senior football at a high level. but sterling runs away with it really.
errrm Calhanoglu? Meyer? i'd take those two over all over them bar sterling who was very impressive this year. Who the heck is jones? Shaw???? give me a break.

errrm Calhanoglu? Meyer? i'd take those two over all over them bar sterling who was very impressive this year. Who the heck is jones? Shaw???? give me a break.

okay they can go into the pit of random names i put in as to who had been impressive and played consistent numbers. like i said, sterling clear number 1 and the others behind. sorry that it affects you so.

and yes i mean john stones. and you can have your break now.

Shaw was a gun last season. Hasn't played as well this season though.

Its generally pretty good though, Rooney, Messi, Aguero and Fabregas have all won it. Only real exceptions (other than Anderson) are Pato and Balotelli, who have both declined significantly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back