Polo Gill hopes in time to emulate the Sydney soccer rivalry

Remove this Banner Ad

In ten years time we'll be back to 16 teams.

Giants would have folded and two Vic teams would have merged and relocated to Tasmania. :thumbsu:

I'd go as far as saying 4 Vic teams will merge.

North will go under once this spending spree shows them up.
Recruiting washed up players & big money assistant coaches for one big shot at a p'ship.

Fail!

Northern Bulldogs..............very marketable!

Recruiting washed up players & big money assistant coaches for one big shot at a p'ship.

Fail!

That's a gracious attitude from a fan of a club who's last president stated last year that the Swans were a couple of bad seasons from being a bankrupt anchor on the league.

That's a gracious attitude from a fan of a club who's last president stated last year that the Swans were a couple of bad seasons from being a bankrupt anchor on the league.
Oh look!
Another Hawk reply.

Read the earlier post from the Roo supporter & you may get the gist of my comment...............which is the truth by the way. Pokie money is what keeps the Hawks & the Pies from struggle street.

The sooner you guys see the actual reality of our competition, the sooner you may appreciate what other clubs are doing for survival. The wheel will turn.

Do you actually find that statement offensive ?
I personally don't as I am not an immigrant or 1st gen

I'm sure plenty of people would find it offensive

If the Giants target market are the same people you will find at a WSW game then statements like that would alienate them

All very well going on about the atmosphere at big a league games , but only other 20 something single males want to be in the active zones with their peers

I cant comment on what it was like to be there, but the tv concentrating on those areas will simply put off other demographics watching on TV.

And lets not forget victory were flavour of the month a few years back with large crowds but there were many smaller crowds in between, it could be another flash in the pan. Maybe those kids grow up and find a new flavour.

Afl is a family thing and quite unique. Hate to lose that trying to generate some faux atmosphere - im thinking of that liverpool v victory game....quite cringeworthy
image.jpg

Where the Giants can learn and perhaps capitalise on the Wanderers success is:

The Wanderers have single handedly defined Western Sydney as a "place" rather than a collection of suburbs west of the city. It is a vast area represented by 4 of the largest NRL teams. WSW in 2 years have managed to unify a group of football fans previously segregated by ethnic and cultural divides into arguably the most parochial fans in Australian sport let alone the A League. This geographical existence is a massive advantage and apart from the Cats it no longer exists in the AFL in Victoria.

The population growth in Western Sydney is massive and at the epicentre is Parramatta which is fast becoming the capital of a region which will exist in its own right as a city and CBD separate to Sydney's.

If the Giants can find a way to appeal to this fan base in a sport that is played in the off season (difficult concept for insular AFL fans to comprehend) then they may be successful. There is some sense with Gill acknowledging their success and trying to position the Giants to this fan base as a second "off season" team. They are fans who have never adopted the Swans as a team or the AFL as an interest and in that regard are the right people to target.

The on field success of WSW has in no doubt contributed to their immediate success. The Giants need to fire ASAP.

Barely anyone cares about the Swans and even less care about the Giants. Gil is talking bollocks.

I think it's time to wind up the failed GWS experiment.
Swans averaging a higher attendance than North despite not having the advantage of playing home games in VIC against VIC teams?

No way would the AFL lose clubs... TV rights say so, 9 games etc.

20 clubs is the long term plan for sure... "20 for 2020" would be a nice little campaign, but doubt the AFL will be ready to expand again in 5 years. 20 clubs/10 games sounds better than 18 clubs/9 games which just sounds a tad off.

Giants to Canberra. Bring in NT (games in Darwin/Alice) and Tasmania (game in Hobart/Launnie). Every state/territory represented.

Yeah, by scheduling Carlton vs Brisbane there.

It was so easy to replace a game into the date they supposedly were of the understanding the GF would be scheduled - May 10.

Too difficult to move the Bulldogs vs Freo game though on May 17.

AFL is bullshitting, yet some folks just lap it up because the AFL have never been disingenuous. :rolleyes:

I like how the AFL have also scheduled a match at Olympic Park on the same weekend they thought the GF would be on - another possible GF venue if Wanderers make it. AFL use it 3 times a year and choose the weekend they thought the GF was on.

Spare me.

BTW, Swans fans don't like going to the Olympic Stadium for games. Listen to the fans.
Spare me your conspiracy theories :rolleyes:.

It just proves you're talking crap because round 6 is GWS's first home game at Spotless due to the Easter Royal Show commitments and even if WSW (who have lost their first two games btw) make the A-league GF, the match will be played at Allianz next door to an empty SCG that weekend. Add to that there's no AFL game in Sydney on the Sunday. Funny how you conveniently left that piece of info out chasing a imaginary smoking gun :rolleyes:.

The weekend of May 8-10 has 6 Saturday games. More than any other. So the AFL did free up that Sunday. The Carlton vs Brisbane game would be moved to the MCG if the FFA wanted May 10 again. Etihad management oppose moving AFL games to the MCG as they lose revenue and the AFL has a contractual agreement to play so many games at Etihad. However they would agree if the A-league GF was the replacement. Crowd-wise though the Carl vs Bris game is more suited to the 'smaller' Etihad so that would've been at late switch in the fixturing process to Etihad after the FFA said no to May 10. Moving fixtured games from the MCG to Etihad when only one venue is being used is something the AFL has done before at the last minute. They did it to Richmond when a Tiger official leaked to Caro info about scoring an extra MCG home game and the AFL moved that game to Etihad which wasn't being used that day.

The FFA have history when it comes to Etihad of telling the AFL one thing, to which the AFL agrees to, and then the FFA at a later date changes what they want expecting the AFL (and Etihad and Governments) to just fall in line. If the AFL doesn't then the FFA runs to the media sooking about it. I call that disingenuous. Add to that the FFA claimed in their public statement that they don't deal directly with other sporting bodies in relation to venue hire yet Melbourne Victory contacted the AFL about May 10 and the FFA itself contacted the AFL on October 21 about May 17 (albeit too late). Maybe you should critique what the FFA does and says as much as you do the AFL.

There's no doubting the AFL is looking after and protecting its interests but don't come here crying crocodile tears as the FFA only cares about its interests too in dealing with other codes. Sport is a business these days. In this case, the FFA stuffed up itself with the dates.

So soccer crowds arent mainly single males ? I must be hallucinating

I know because i followed soccer in that age group, rarely been back since

Anyway I dont really care. Just concerned that AFL leaders try to develop a faux version of the A league at AFL because A league is jut a faux version of european soccer, even though we compete in asia and could develop our own 'atmosphere!

Good points Pessimistic.

There is a lot of copying with the a-league soccer with their European brethren. If the AFL matches can match soccer with the singing or drum banging or whatever then it rules out any potential advantage soccer could have. Then you are left with a game on game comparision and it is clear that the Australian game offers superior entertainment on the field.

I watched about 10 minutes of a soccer match on the tv last night and in one section the ball pops up and the defender came storming in from behind and I thought "oh ok now we are going to have a contest- one on one", but instead because they have next to no physical contact in this sport the guy just stood behind him and sort of blocked the space.

I know they have "tackles" where a guy slides in with his feet and steals the ball, but that to me isn't a contest one on one. That is just sliding whilst another guy is on his feet. It is at moments like this that you realise that the overall package of Australian football- physical contact, speed, skill, marks, long kicking etc - is far superior to soccer's package. Well it is in my view. Others may relish what soccer has to offer such as the long shots at goal.

Anyway, the singing thing. The Age writer the other day mentioned a special area set aside behind the goals for standing room. That makes sense, try and build a section for the young "cheer squad" crew. Give them a special membership "the Collingwood crew" etc. The problem is when to sing in footy? Scoring is different, the game is so fast in footy. Whoever is in front at half-time sings the club song? If you are up by 30 points in the last quarter sing the song? That happens every so often, but not that often. Why not? That Port Adelaide thing works pretty well. They have come up with a solution in an Australian context and not a "faux version" of something from overseas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matt83f, perfectly said.

I live in western sydney, and the fanatiscm of the wanderers supporters reminds of the fanatical tribal atmosphere i used to feel going to those old suburban grounds in victoria when i was growing up. Glorious morabbin, wonderful vic park, princes park, windy hill!! the cattery!

Fantastic closed in at atmosphere.

The wanderers have that same atmosphere at parramatta stadium,moreso!! People at work have told me it is something amazing to behold.

In the quest for exapansion and power that old vfl/afl small ground atmosphere has been cast into the pit. Replaced by the manufactured corporatised mcdonalds box seat aamerican style atmosphere. The wanderers have been organic, it was born on its own, it grew on its own, it is explodin on its own into a magnificent beast of passion.

The notion the AFl have to intervene to make the giants successful is sad and pathetic. Let the giants grow on their own. The only thing i think they should do is allow free attendance for several games a year. Promote it in all those western sydney schools. I think they should also build small suburban ground in granville or parramatta and let the giantss evolve in a way akin to that of old vic clubs a hundred years ago.

I think everyone needs to relax with regards to GWS. They are a start up club in the toughest competition in Australia. Unlike WSW, GWS have tasted significant success in the short term, as their view is a strategy to deliver a premiership between years 8-12. No let's be honest, do you think that the fans will stay away once the Giants start winning every week?

The xenophobia displayed by the Sydney fraternity that wish to see the end of time will only get louder before GWS are an accepted part of the landscape. In the mean time it would be best for football if those who love the game continue to speak of its merits rather than the $200M it will take to make GWS a success.

The continual rather than occasional singing and chanting may appeal to one demographic but its possibly a turn off for other sections of the crowd, and the AFL crowd is much more diverse

For mine, rather than try and transplant gimmicks the AFL should look at where greed is a affecting the situation.

Im talking about huge swathes of empty seats while GA fans. Are sent up to the top deck of monster stadiums

Im talking about exhorbitant finals ticket prices sectionising the crowd

Im talking about club members shut out of the grand final.

Soccer and NRL do it so much better, they dont take fans for granted

Good points Pessimistic.

There is a lot of copying with the a-league soccer with their European brethren. If the AFL matches can match soccer with the singing or drum banging or whatever then it rules out any potential advantage soccer could have. Then you are left with a game on game comparision and it is clear that the Australian game offers superior entertainment on the field.

I watched about 10 minutes of a soccer match on the tv last night and in one section the ball pops up and the defender came storming in from behind and I thought "oh ok now we are going to have a contest- one on one", but instead because they have next to no physical contact in this sport the guy just stood behind him and sort of blocked the space.

I know they have "tackles" where a guy slides in with his feet and steals the ball, but that to me isn't a contest one on one. That is just sliding whilst another guy is on his feet. It is at moments like this that you realise that the overall package of Australian football- physical contact, speed, skill, marks, long kicking etc - is far superior to soccer's package. Well it is in my view. Others may relish what soccer has to offer such as the long shots at goal.

Anyway, the singing thing. The Age writer the other day mentioned a special area set aside behind the goals for standing room. That makes sense, try and build a section for the young "cheer squad" crew. Give them a special membership "the Collingwood crew" etc. The problem is when to sing in footy? Scoring is different, the game is so fast in footy. Whoever is in front at half-time sings the club song? If you are up by 30 points in the last quarter sing the song? That happens every so often, but not that often. Why not? That Port Adelaide thing works pretty well. They have come up with a solution in an Australian context and not a "faux version" of something from overseas.

When you have your ankle fractured like I have in a slide tackle, come and tell me it's not a contest:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Fail!

Bulldogs are the only team from the West. 3 teams from the north including 2 powerhouse clubs. I hope your not in Marketing. NO mergers. Recruiting 2 players isn't going to be the differance between a team surviving or not.

Spare me your conspiracy theories :rolleyes:.

It just proves you're talking crap because round 6 is GWS's first home game at Spotless due to the Easter Royal Show commitments and even if WSW (who have lost their first two games btw) make the A-league GF, the match will be played at Allianz next door to an empty SCG that weekend. Add to that there's no AFL game in Sydney on the Sunday. Funny how you conveniently left that piece of info out chasing a imaginary smoking gun :rolleyes:.

The weekend of May 8-10 has 6 Saturday games. More than any other. So the AFL did free up that Sunday. The Carlton vs Brisbane game would be moved to the MCG if the FFA wanted May 10 again. Etihad management oppose moving AFL games to the MCG as they lose revenue and the AFL has a contractual agreement to play so many games at Etihad. However they would agree if the A-league GF was the replacement. Crowd-wise though the Carl vs Bris game is more suited to the 'smaller' Etihad so that would've been at late switch in the fixturing process to Etihad after the FFA said no to May 10. Moving fixtured games from the MCG to Etihad when only one venue is being used is something the AFL has done before at the last minute. They did it to Richmond when a Tiger official leaked to Caro info about scoring an extra MCG home game and the AFL moved that game to Etihad which wasn't being used that day.

The FFA have history when it comes to Etihad of telling the AFL one thing, to which the AFL agrees to, and then the FFA at a later date changes what they want expecting the AFL (and Etihad and Governments) to just fall in line. If the AFL doesn't then the FFA runs to the media sooking about it. I call that disingenuous. Add to that the FFA claimed in their public statement that they don't deal directly with other sporting bodies in relation to venue hire yet Melbourne Victory contacted the AFL about May 10 and the FFA itself contacted the AFL on October 21 about May 17 (albeit too late). Maybe you should critique what the FFA does and says as much as you do the AFL.

There's no doubting the AFL is looking after and protecting its interests but don't come here crying crocodile tears as the FFA only cares about its interests too in dealing with other codes. Sport is a business these days. In this case, the FFA stuffed up itself with the dates.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/foo...758543439?nk=618aa9057e242aab92d747458f6dd3d0

AFL have history with this.

No need for the bullshit.

No way would the AFL lose clubs... TV rights say so, 9 games etc.

20 clubs is the long term plan for sure... "20 for 2020" would be a nice little campaign, but doubt the AFL will be ready to expand again in 5 years. 20 clubs/10 games sounds better than 18 clubs/9 games which just sounds a tad off.

Giants to Canberra. Bring in NT (games in Darwin/Alice) and Tasmania (game in Hobart/Launnie). Every state/territory represented.
This, we are more chance of gaining clubs rather than loosing them, especially with the predicted growth of the country in the next 25 years..

Good points Pessimistic.

There is a lot of copying with the a-league soccer with their European brethren. If the AFL matches can match soccer with the singing or drum banging or whatever then it rules out any potential advantage soccer could have.

Not going to happen, the nature of the game means people get distracted too quickly. You see it occasionally when the cheer squad or some other group tries to start a chant, and almost always fails due to something happening on the field distracting everyone. It's no coincidence that it usually only takes off between goals - i.e when nothing is happening on field.

It's actually the same principle in soccer - chants die when something happens like a scoring opportunity. It's just that it happens a lot more infrequently, you can be waiting 5 or 10 minutes for that. So you fill in the gaps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back