Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to 86 but not 87.
Still kicking myself.
31 degrees that day.
Anyway saw us fix them up two weeks before so could see we had them that year.

I went to both and basically sat in the same spot for the two games, in the top level in front of the main scoreboard. The agony of '86 made the victory of '87 that whole much sweeter.

Richmond lost only 4 games during the 1982 season. They had tall timber in the side and the dry season we had that year suited the tigers. Carlton, with the mosquito fleet back in those years and players such as McConville, Doull and Hunter, were more adaptable and capable of blitzing any opposition in any weather.

We lost to the tigers in the second semi. However during the middle of grand final week it was raining and I was hoping the rain would continue as the tigers would suddenly be top heavy and face virtually the first wet day of the season on grand final day.

It was raining at the G and pelting down with hail at our place when we easily kicked the first 3 goals in the first 3 minutes of the game.

Richmond blaming Helen D'amico for 'stopping their run' is puzzling as it was the blues who actually kicked 2 goals in a row just before she ran on the ground.

Good point on 82 season. I also remember the streaker interrupting our flow and pissing me off at the time. Funny the Tiger supporters try to make it sound the other way around. Important to remember about 1982 finals series was Wayne Johnston got suspended after the Qualifying final we flogged Hawks in. He was out for 2 weeks so if we had not lost to Tigers the next week he would not have been able to play in grand final as it would only be 2 games later. By losing to Tigers in 82 semi-final it meant it was possible he still played a role in premiership campaign. Think Bosustow missing too in semi-final. This meant Johnston 2 game suspension could be served by us needing to play in week before grand final in order for us to have played 2 finals between qualifying final and grand final. It was nervous times as a young Carlton fan of the time. But Johnston was back for grand final after those 2 weeks and he played a big part in our opening 2 goals. Probably my favourite season as a Carlton supporter as first season I started to see most of our games. Did not get to any finals that year but was at most of our home and away games including us beating Richmond at the G in home and away season. I remember it was first season I think of electronic scoreboard at the footy and was novel new thing to be at G watching a replay of our goals soon after we kicked them.

Last edited:
As you can see above I've been watching a bunch of carlton vids lately to help pass some time in the off-season. Came across one of Judd's 2010 brownlow win. Still laugh my head off at this moment...

View attachment 93728

Hey Reg, I think you need to get outside in the sunshine and get some fresh air, maybe even just pop the head phones on and go for a walk.....you are watching a ******* reply of the 2010 Brownlow????? WTF, I would be lucky to watch it on the night....a replay!!! :eek:

Yep, stinking hot that day. Was the only time I ever saw Michael Tuck in short sleeves.

Richard Dennis pretty had the Norm Smith in his pocket at quarter time, until Rhys completed his demolition of Brereton.

Enduring memory of that game is Mark Naley with his little piston legs pumping, go through couple of Hawks, take a bounce, burn off Dipper and slot the goal to seal the win.
Naley's bounce was a left handed bounce too, at full speed. Impressive :)

Hey Reg, I think you need to get outside in the sunshine and get some fresh air, maybe even just pop the head phones on and go for a walk.....you are watching a ******* reply of the 2010 Brownlow????? WTF, I would be lucky to watch it on the night....a replay!!! :eek:

Haha very fair call ! However living in berlin has turned me nocturnal and I need something to kill the time between 12-4am!!

Naley's bounce was a left handed bounce too, at full speed. Impressive :)

Had a funny running style Naley.
Anyway, classy little rover type in the few years he played for us. We needed one. With Ashman, Sheldon and Jimmy Buckley doing the deeds in late 70's and early 80's we were lacking another genuine classy rover to fill some of the void. Naley came at just right time in 1987. A rover that can kicks goals is what you want. It is one thing I like about Marc Murphy. He knows how to snag a goal himself when he gets the chance.

Had a funny running style Naley.
Anyway, classy little rover type in the few years he played for us. We needed one. With Ashman, Sheldon and Jimmy Buckley doing the deeds in late 70's and early 80's we were lacking another genuine classy rover to fill some of the void. Naley came at just right time in 1987. A rover that can kicks goals is what you want. It is one thing I like about Marc Murphy. He knows how to snag a goal himself when he gets the chance.

Naley couldn't get a game with us early in '87, then blitzed in the SoO game in Adelaide with 4/5 goals which kick started his career.

Never lacked self belief, post Second Semi Final win.

Last edited:
Naley couldn't get a game with us early in '87, then blitzed in the SoO game in Adelaide with 4/5 goals which kick started his career.

He played state of origin before that. lol
Strange that he was out of side in early 87 but good they made him earn his way in side.
I do remember him taking his time to find his feet at our club but his class had be shown in state games before that. So knew we had a good one. He probably was in state games in 84 or 85. I distinctly remember as a kid after football training one Tuesday night our club got together and had a barbeque at coaches house. We watched the state game and was hard to stomach losing a close one to SA with Kernahan, Bradley and Naley some of the chief play makers for South Australia. I did not know that night how many of them would end up at Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He played state of origin before that. lol
Strange that he was out of side in early 87 but good they made him earn his way in side.
I do remember him taking his time to find his feet at our club but his class had be shown in state games before that. So knew we had a good one. He probably was in state games in 84 or 85. I distinctly remember as a kid after football training one Tuesday night our club got together and had a barbeque at coaches house. We watched the state game and was hard to stomach losing a close one to SA with Kernahan, Bradley and Naley some of the chief play makers for South Australia. I did not know that night how many of them would end up at Carlton.

After the success we had with Buzz and Hunter, our interstate recruits were expected to perform from day one.

In '82 we got Ditchburn & Montgomery, neither showed much til Ditchburn had that game against St Kilda at VFL Park when he kicked 12. Crazy stuff that day, Harmes was hitting him with 60 metre grass burners, while Ditchburn gave Simon O'Donnell the hiding of his life.

I went to the 87 GF, had MCC members tickets. The most BORING s**t hole in the world. I was the only Carlton supporter in the joint, no one having a go back, no crowd banter.
The only highlight was the lady who was sitting behind me with a very short skirt on and every time I looked back, well............................you know.

After the success we had with Buzz and Hunter, our interstate recruits were expected to perform from day one.

In '82 we got Ditchburn & Montgomery, neither showed much til Ditchburn had that game against St Kilda at VFL Park when he kicked 12. Crazy stuff that day, Harmes was hitting him with 60 metre grass burners, while Ditchburn gave Simon O'Donnell the hiding of his life.

Yeah, the interstate recruits had high standards to keep up after what Buzz produced from day one...lol

I remember Montgomery was handy at best. Good player in time club was strong so not easy to cement a spot unless out and out star. Ditchburn a genuine full forward that was a rarity at Carlton in those times. Still, I also remember being at Waverley Park when Warren Ralph made his debut. Gee, he could kick a ball. Got nine on debut against North from memory. Dominator probably set him up a few on chest and we won by 137 points from memory. Amazingly I think we lost to them at Arden Street year before in game I went to by 111 points. Crazy times. Richard Dennis was another very very handy West Aussie that came to us in 87 I think and played the forward flank. Wayne Blackwell came a few years before that too I think. Brad Shine and someone called Kenny rings a bell too but think they were fringe players like Montgomery and never really got a regular gig in side. Doratich had his moments of maybe not making it but he eventually made a bit of a career for himself. Just thinking about him makes me laugh.

Yeah, the interstate recruits had high standards to keep up after what Buzz produced from day one...lol

Yeah, I remember Montgomery was handy at best. Ditchburn a genuine full forward that was a rarity at Carlton in those times. Still, I also remember being at Waverley Park when Warren Ralph made his debut. Gee, he could kick a ball. Got nine of debut against North from memory. Dominator probably set him up a few on chest and we won by 137 points from memory. Amazingly I think we lost to them at Arden Street year before in game I went to by 111 points. Crazy times. Richard Dennis was another very very handy West Aussie that came to us in 87 I think and played the forward flank. Wayne Blackwell came a few years before that too I think. Brad Shine and someone called Kenny rings a bell too but think they were fringe players like Montgomery and never really got a regular gig in side.

Gonzo Ralph was one of the best kicks I've every seen, saw him kick 8 in a final v Hawthorn in '84.........then again was there the day he missed from the square at VFL Park v Collingwood after the siren. Did his knee in '85, played a final v Sydney at the G in '86 then was out the door. Ended up in the SANFL and the bugger won Tattslotto.

Another one with high expectations was Sartori, that '87 Semi in #1488, he dished out 2 of the best taps of all time.

Gonzo Ralph was one of the best kicks I've every seen, saw him kick 8 in a final v Hawthorn in '84.........then again was there the day he missed from the square at VFL Park v Collingwood after the siren

He did NOT miss. Just the bloody goal umpire gave it a point.
GRRRRR!!!!
I was behind the goals. Certainly a goal from where I was sitting. Stunned it was given a point. Draw from memory because of that. Jimmy Buckley from memory was going nuts about it like myself as I think he was pretty close on other side of goals and would have had a good view.
I think Ralph kicked it so high it was above the level of posts and umpy just got it wrong on what side he guessed it was.
I was spewing.

Those days at Carlton were like Camelot.

We'd recruit players from interstate/other clubs and they just couldn't believe how we worked.

There's a story when we got Greg Wells from Melbourne, he's got 200 odd games under his belt, 30 years old, comes over to our lot and we're 5 goals down at half-time (while Maclure and Buckley are in the toilets with a trans listening in on the 3rd leg of the quaddie.). He leans over to 20 year old Kenny Sheldon and says "Geez, we're in a bit of trouble", Kenny comes back with "Nothing to worry about"........out we go for the 3rd premiership quarter, slam on 9 and have it wrapped up by 3 quarter time.

Those days at Carlton were like Camelot.

We'd recruit players from interstate/other clubs and they just couldn't believe how we worked.

There's a story when we got Greg Wells from Melbourne, he's got 200 odd games under his belt, 30 years old, comes over to our lot and we're 5 goals down at half-time (while Maclure and Buckley are in the toilets with a trans listening in on the 3rd leg of the quaddie.). He leans over to 20 year old Kenny Sheldon and says "Geez, we're in a bit of trouble", Kenny comes back with "Nothing to worry about"........out we go for the 3rd premiership quarter, slam on 9 and have it wrapped up by 3 quarter time.

Thought I would take a gander at what game these alleged events could have happened.
Wells came to us during 1980 season and think played in matches from round 15 onwards.

I can find a game against Essendon where we down by about 3 goals at half time v Essendon and kicked 9 in third quarter at Princes Park. Maybe that was it. The fact Sellers and Bucks were in the toilets checking on horse races on 3UZ suggest the coach must have been clown Percy Jones. Doubt Jezza would have allowed that to have gone on at half time unless he was in the betting syndicate himself ;) With Percy in charge the larrikins of which there were many at the time, would have run amok.

Round: 20 Venue: Princes Park Date: Sat, 16-Aug-1980 2:10 PM Attendance: 27956
Carlton 2.3.15, 8.5.53, 17.10.112, 25.14.164
Essendon 6.0.36, 11.2.68, 12.4.76 , 16.7.103
Qrt margin ES by 21 ES by 15 CA by 36 CA by 61

Sellers kicked 4 goals.
36 MacLure, Mark 16kicks 7marks 11 handballs 4 goals 2 behinds
5 Sheldon, Ken 15 kicks 7marks 6 handballs 3 goals 2 behinds
1 Wells, Greg 18 kicks 7 marks 11 handballs 1 goal 3 behinds
Jimmy himself had a s**t game and only 14 disposals

Actually looking at records of games that season from round 15 to end of home and away.
In third quarter Carlton 6 goals 8 in round 15 v Dees, 7 goals 5 behinds against Bulldogs in round 16, then 7 goals 5 behinds against North Melbourne
then 8 goals 5 behinds against Hawks, then 5 goals 5 v Richmond and then this 9 goals 5 behinds v Essendon in third quarter this day. We then kicked 9 goals 1 the following week in third quarter and then 10 goals 6 behinds in final round v Fitzroy.
Fair effort in third quarters around that time...lol

That was the end of our entertaining football for season though.
We played terrible in both finals and went out in straight sets.
Percy Jones never coached us again. I liked him but always seen him more as a clown.
Hard to take serious as a coach. Might have won 4 premierships in a row if Jezza or Parkin had been in charge that season.

Jezza wasn't the greatest trainer, but considering we had 3 coaches (Thorogood, Stewart & Serge), in literally 7 weeks of football, and the fact that Jezza did it as playing coach, is up there with the greatest turnarounds of all time.

That first time he coached, we copped a rampant Collingwood at Victoria Park........and we had nothing, one win out of the first 6, we were stuffed.

Percy was fat, Swan McKay was leaving for the 15th time, Walls was a pain in the arse and had to go...................so Jezza plonked McKay at CHB, sold off Walls, got Percy fit, and played the kids.

Was a frigging war that day, and we got home, the little fellas got the goals.

One of the most satisfying games of footy I've ever seen.

Ended up winning godknows how many on the trot, going into Round 22 we copped the old Moorabin thugs, and dropped the double chance.

Won the Elimination final v Geelong at VFL Park, and copped the Pies at the MCG, another war.........Phil Carman took us on, we took him on, by then it had taken it's toll on a young list.

1979, we lost 3 games for the year, introduced Francis, Johnston, Marcou, kicked 100 points in EVERY game bar the Footscray game in the slush at VFL Park, 12.20 odd..............and won the GF with our lowest score for the year.

Last edited:
Gonzo Ralph was one of the best kicks I've every seen, saw him kick 8 in a final v Hawthorn in '84.........then again was there the day he missed from the square at VFL Park v Collingwood after the siren. Did his knee in '85, played a final v Sydney at the G in '86 then was out the door. Ended up in the SANFL and the bugger won Tattslotto.

Another one with high expectations was Sartori, that '87 Semi in #1488, he dished out 2 of the best taps of all time.

Saw Sartori have a ripper one day down at the Cattery. pretty sure he kicked 7 or 8 that day in a big win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back