List Mgmt. 2014 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of extracts from the draft chat the hsun had with champion data:

Hi Champion, Hugh Goddard seems to be a player that confounds critics. Is he a stretch at pick 6 for the Giants? Is he athletic enough to impact aerial contests??

Champion Data
Goddard has the ability to play either key forward or key back, but from what we've seen he is suited to playing as a key defender. At the championships this year he ranked elite for spoils and intercept marks and lost just three of his 13 one-on-one contests, a losing percentage better than the AFL average.

Hi Champion, Jarrod Pickett, is he the real deal or a glorified highlight reel?? Is he more Brad Hill or more Lewis Jetta?? Is pick 4 to high a price for him??

Champion Data
Pickett is more of a comparison to Lewis Jetta than Brad Hill. When he plays midfield he plays as a genuine wingman that has the ability to push forward to impact the scoreboard. At Colts level this season for South Fremantle he averaged 21 disposals, five inside 50s and two goals per game.

Correction:
I had a NIGHTMARE last night that we took De Goey at 4 and the there was a hush in the auditorium!!

I don't mind De Goey, i think he has the style of game that will suit well in senior footy. Like Goddard he has some mongrel in him and you need some blokes like that particularly with so many young blokes.

It's something I love about the Giants is that we don't look up to anybody. Blokes like Buggy, Dev, Greene and Townsend never get intimidated by other players.

I like the idea of putting some more grunt in with the addition of silk with Pickett.

I think if this happened Melbourne would take the two mids...they sure as hell need them!

In many ways it's a dream result for them as they have Hogan who is similar to McCartin.

Would be crazy if he was there at 4 but can't see it.

I look at de goey and I think he plays like jimmy Bartel same height strong grab and most disposals Change a game with a bit of grunt

In my absolute fantasty world this means Petracca slides to us at pick 4

But seriously if its does play out this way then my gut feel is that melb will only go one mid which means either Petracca or Brayshaw could fall our way.

I reckon petracca will go number one with Melbourne taking mccartin and brayshaw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more I see of this kid Hugh Goddard the more I can see why our recruiters love him.

Looks one of the most eloquent, mature and professional kids in the whole draft.

He also looks the most prepared.

This lad won't need a hug from mummy and daddy every night, he's ready for battle.

Really hoping we take him, well and truly won me over.

Last edited:
In my absolute fantasty world this means Petracca slides to us at pick 4

But seriously if its does play out this way then my gut feel is that melb will only go one mid which means either Petracca or Brayshaw could fall our way.

So who would they go with their 2nd pick? Wright, Lever, Goddard?
If we pick Petraca, Pies pick Pickett probably...(tongue twister but true).

Why are we linked to De Gooey? Makes me suspect Green is de going...

My ideal draft:
4) Petraca or Pickett W
6) Goddard KPD
7) Reece McKenzie or Peter Wright KPF
23) Connor Blakely IM
24) Jack Steele HF
85) Finlayson HB/HF

If Twomey is right then that's an outstanding draft for us

Also:
GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
Picks:
4, 6, 7, 23, 24 (Jack Steele academy selection), 72, 80, 85 (Jeremy Finlayson academy selection) The Giants are every chance to have shut their books and finished up by pick 30, but they may use pick No.72, a decision that will be made on the night. If they go down that path, the club might choose to add another local product out of its academy, with defender Michael Mattingly and tall forwards Logan Austin and Dougal Howard the leading contenders. Those three are among the group of academy prospects the club has nominated under the rookie pre-selection rule. The Giants have also shown an interest in talented batsman Pat McKenna, who captained the Australian under-19 cricket team this year but has nominated for the draft. It's unlikely to activate pick No.80.

I think bringing in the two talented young indigenous boys together would be great for both of them, particularly Ahern who is quite introverted.

Add a quality tall and a talented utility and we tick every box.

Make this happen!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back