Bickley to 5AA

Remove this Banner Ad

I probably listen twice a week, on my days off if I'm out and about in the car. Rowie has become unbareable... Making facts up, patronisingly calling any female callers "good girl" etc, terrible interviews like Greg "funky"Matthews, benny BBQ, sucking up to "skip", flip flopping on key issues like the Essendon saga. Make it stop !Two competent hosts please 5aa!

I probably listen twice a week, on my days off if I'm out and about in the car. Rowie has become unbareable... Making facts up, patronisingly calling any female callers "good girl" etc, terrible interviews like Greg "funky"Matthews, benny BBQ, sucking up to "skip", flip flopping on key issues like the Essendon saga. Make it stop !Two competent hosts please 5aa!

What is old Smokin' Mo Matthews up to these days? When I was young I had a poster of him on my wall, I remember it said he had scored "Two brave Test tons".

The best thing of course, as Mr Birmingham would tell u is his run up ... Left foot first, followed by the right, getting into that familiar left / right combination .... left, right, left right ....

Just heard fragments of 5AA with Rootchi being given a farewell spot before he leaves for his summer vac in Italy. Spin and slant is everywhere. The 2014 top 5 AFL stories were talked about and shuffled around and it was all done to make it appear that Rootchi had broken these stories! Stories included the Essendon drug scandal and Sanderson's sacking. Stories, like many others where Rootchi was a tail-ender.

What I did enjoy was Bickley taking Rootchi to task about using the words 'booze ban' in his recent effort, where no such thing as yet exists. Rootchi just continued on and avoided addressing Bickley's assertion.

Sadly I have to agree. Rowey just needs to shutup a bit - cut it in half! It's not just filling the space up with words Rowey, it's making the words considered and of some value. His tenure.....hmmmmmmm?

Sadly I have to agree. Rowey just needs to shutup a bit - cut it in half! It's not just filling the space up with words Rowey, it's making the words considered and of some value. His tenure.....hmmmmmmm?
Good in theory... But this is rowey, so no hope in practice!

McDermott showed his true colours with the state Guernsey fiasco. "the people have spoken" he bleated. His definition of "people" were port ferals (obviously) an ex SA champion who hasn't lived here for 20 years and a bitter ex-captain. With your sacking Chris the people really have spoken. Karmas a bitch hey mate.

I stopped listening because I got sick of Rowe going 'well done' after every question in an interview. It's cringeworthy after a while.

Bickley has been good because he's not a tool
Bickley, for the parts I have heard, has been great.

not sure how long it will last, because he has clearly and easily defined arguments and questions Roochs stupidity, which leaves rooch speechless more often that not.

they guy appears to have common sense....so I give him 12 months.

I haven't listened to it a ton since i've been on holidays from work, but I do like the fact Bickley has some sort of knowledge of how a modern day club works, as well as having a ton of coaching experience. Plus he's less prone to hyperbole, something that both Rowie (where everything is awesome!) and Bone (where everything sucks!) did/do a bit too much for my liking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The shows improved with Bickley and is far easier to listen to, I think he will be very good once the football season starts and they've got something to talk about. Wasn't an easy time to start right between footy and cricket but he's settled in now.

The only negative is since he has got so much common sense he's making Rowey seem even more unreasonable. But that may just be because he has taken McDermotts role on the draft argument with "if the Crows don't get their man, and that better be ________, _________ or __________ it will be a massive failure and I'm going to go off." Sure disagree with the strategy but don't go listing the three people you want as the pass mark.

I stopped listening because I got sick of Rowe going 'well done' after every question in an interview. It's cringeworthy after a while.

"yeah Rowey my injury will only keep me out for 6 months instead of 12"

"ahh well done"

He also said "congratulations" in some questionable spots.

What I did enjoy was Bickley taking Rootchi to task about using the words 'booze ban' in his recent effort, where no such thing as yet exists. Rootchi just continued on and avoided addressing Bickley's assertion.

Yes I heard that

Rucci is such a tool. First he says there's no difference between calling it a ban or guidelines. Bicks says there's a big difference, one is coach-imposed and the other is player driven. So then Rucci tries to blame his editor who decided that the shorter word "ban" fits the available headline. So then both Bicks and Rowie point out that he used the word ban in his article! So he tried to fudge around it by saying it leads to the same end point of elite standards (which it might but isn't the point you knob) and when Bicks tries to say how a policy would be worded and starts to say "you cannot.." and then retracts that because that sounds like a ban, Rucci tries to use that to say that he supports a ban!

At one stage he tried to wriggle out from it by saying "let's get back to the core issue of elite standards" - if I wasn't driving I was going to text that the core issue of the discussion was actually the lack of elite journalism standards in SA.

Very glad that Bicks continues to call him out on this, wish Bicks was able to pin him down a bit more.

Rucci needs to take more responsibility for what he says or writes. Like when he said the SMA was responsible to no one except the SANFL. Then the CEO comes on and says their report is tabled in parliament. How much more public accountability can there be? Crickets from Rucci.

Didn't get a chance to post last week but I loved him with Caro last week. She was rabbiting on that danger not signing yet looks bad. Bicks was very strong on laying out the facts that danger has always said he wants to commit to a club with the right things in place to achieve success. So on that basis he can't possibly re sign yet with a brand new CEO and coach. That really shut her down. Loved it!

Yes I heard that

Rucci is such a tool. First he says there's no difference between calling it a ban or guidelines. Bicks says there's a big difference, one is coach-imposed and the other is player driven. So then Rucci tries to blame his editor who decided that the shorter word "ban" fits the available headline. So then both Bicks and Rowie point out that he used the word ban in his article! So he tried to fudge around it by saying it leads to the same end point of elite standards (which it might but isn't the point you knob) and when Bicks tries to say how a policy would be worded and starts to say "you cannot.." and then retracts that because that sounds like a ban, Rucci tries to use that to say that he supports a ban!

At one stage he tried to wriggle out from it by saying "let's get back to the core issue of elite standards" - if I wasn't driving I was going to text that the core issue of the discussion was actually the lack of elite journalism standards in SA.

Very glad that Bicks continues to call him out on this, wish Bicks was able to pin him down a bit more.

Rucci needs to take more responsibility for what he says or writes. Like when he said the SMA was responsible to no one except the SANFL. Then the CEO comes on and says their report is tabled in parliament. How much more public accountability can there be? Crickets from Rucci.
rucci "success" if you can call it that is based on his ability to create controversy. This is what his employers want. He is annoying as hell but the only way he will ever go away is if he is completely ignored. He relying on creating interest in himself by creating fake controversy because he is an average journalist in the traditional sense ( I.e. Writing something interesting with the facts)

rucci "success" if you can call it that is based on his ability to create controversy. This is what his employers want. He is annoying as hell but the only way he will ever go away is if he is completely ignored. He relying on creating interest in himself by creating fake controversy because he is an average journalist in the traditional sense ( I.e. Writing something interesting with the facts)
Yeah, pretty much. Exhibit C:

Rooch: "Nigel Smart is kingmaker at Adelaide."
Chapman: "You've said Nigel was our kingmaker."
Rooch: "No I didn't."
Chapman: "Yes you did."
Rooch: "Anyway moving on, Roo is the kingmaker at Adelaide."

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The AFL media is more like wresting coverage than journalism. The sooner you understand that concept, the easier it is to understand Rooch, Ralph, Hutchison, Barrett etc etc.

Real journos pick up scoops like Essendon, Sando's sacking or Fagan's appointment and break them.

The current batch merely give observations from the sidelines in a way that doesn't offend anyone in AFL land but keeps the masses watching.

I get the feeling that having Bicks there will help keep Rooch accountable with what he says.

Rooch just has a back and forth with Dillon when Dillon takes him to task. But Bicks well spoken at direct questions hold him to account.

I think Fagan's straight talking will help reduce the sniping. I'm all for critical analysis and criticism when it is not just a troll.

McDermott showed his true colours with the state Guernsey fiasco. "the people have spoken" he bleated. His definition of "people" were port ferals (obviously) an ex SA champion who hasn't lived here for 20 years and a bitter ex-captain. With your sacking Chris the people really have spoken. Karmas a bitch hey mate.
also with bone and rowey the collective IQ was frustratingly too low. Its refreshing having one member of the panel with some intelligence

also with bone and rowey the collective IQ was frustratingly too low. Its refreshing having one member of the panel with some intelligence

I liked it when they were discussing the changes to the MRP and someone asked Bickley to evaluate his hit on Wakeling under the new rules. He did it well although failed to get Rowie to accept that it was careless rather than intentional!

As it turns out he'd get 6 games today and got 5 at the time. But that 6 was before discounts for a guilty plea and good record

Remove this Banner Ad

Back