Top 10 Crows in relation to BnF top-5 ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Here’s a more “relatively objective” take on who has been the top 10 Crows players to have ever played for AFC. I’ve used data for top-5 BnF results from 1991-2023.

1. Laird - 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 2nd
(3 BnF; 8 top-5; 8 top-3)

2. McLeod - 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 4th, 4th, 4th, 1st
(3 BnF; 8 top-5; 5 top-3)

3. Goodwin - 5th, 1st, 4th, 5th, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd

4. Roo - 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 5th, 3rd, 1st, 1st
(3 BnF; 7 top-5; 6 top-3)

5. Sloane - 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd
(2 BnF; 6 top-5; 6 top-3)

6. Hart - 5th, 4th, 1st, 5th, 3rd, 1st
(2 BnF; 6 top-5; 3 top-3)

7. Thompson - 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 1st (2 BnF; 5 top-5; 5 top-3)

8. Dangerfield - 5th, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 1st (1 BnF; 5 top-5; 4 top-3)

9. Edwards - 4th, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 3rd
(0 BnF; 8 top-5; 4 top-3)

10. Walker - 5th, 5th, 5th, 4th, 4th, 3rd (0 BnF; 6 top-5; 1 top-3)

———————————
Some observations:
  • Dangerfield would likely be a higher ranking had he stayed with us.
  • Laird a great player among an era of rebuild.
  • Edwards a great player, unlucky in an era of champions.
  • Sloane surprisingly consistent in the first half of his career.

Last edited:

Matt Connell > Taylor Walker

Here’s a more “relatively objective” take on who has been the top 10 Crows players to have ever played for AFC. I’ve used data for top-5 BnF results from 1991-2023.

1. Laird - 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 2nd
(3 BnF; 8 top-5; 8 top-3)

2. McLeod - 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 4th, 4th, 4th, 1st

3. Goodwin - 5th, 1st, 4th, 5th, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd

4. Sloane - 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd
(2 BnF; 6 top-5; 6 top-3)

5. Roo - 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 5th, 3rd, 1st
(2 BnF; 6 top-5; 5 top-3)

6. Hart - 5th, 4th, 1st, 5th, 3rd, 1st
(2 BnF; 6 top-5; 3 top-3)

7. Thompson - 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 1st (2 BnF; 5 top-5; 5 top-3)

8. Dangerfield - 5th, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 1st (1 BnF; 5 top-5; 4 top-3)

9. Edwards - 4th, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 3rd
(0 BnF; 8 top-5; 4 top-3)

10. Walker - 5th, 5th, 5th, 4th, 4th, 3rd (0 BnF; 6 top-5; 1 top-3)

———————————
Some observations:
  • Dangerfield would likely be a higher ranking had he stayed with us.
  • Laird a great player among an era of rebuild.
  • Edwards a great player, unlucky in an era of champions.
  • Sloane surprisingly consistent in the first half of his career.

it ignores relative quality of competitors for top few spots. Almost worthless.

This is not really a good reflection of the top 10 players to play for the crows
If we take into account the quality of skills AND the duration of contribution to the club, I don’t think it’s far off the mark.

Do you have an alternative parameter where it’s more reflective of the club’s top 10?

this is a great example of using stats to support your argument wrongly
The stats here is to give some perspective on those who have performed at the highest level at the club with repeated years of excellence. No one can argue a top 10 like it’s a fact. That would be nonsense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be interesting to see how it would change if you rated the top 5 finishes based on ladder position.

Two of Andrew McLeod's top 5 finishes were in Premiership years, one of Rory Laird's was in a wooden spoon year and a further 5 in years we missed finals.

If we take into account the quality of skills AND the duration of contribution to the club, I don’t think it’s far off the mark.

Do you have an alternative parameter where it’s more reflective of the club’s top 10?
In no world is Laird the number 1 player to play for the crows, he'd be lucky to make the top 10.

I think this says it all.

Would be interesting to see how it would change if you rated the top 5 finishes based on ladder position.

Two of Andrew McLeod's top 5 finishes were in Premiership years, one of Rory Laird's was in a wooden spoon year and a further 5 in years we missed finals.
I like your line of thinking! No matter what, it’s going to end up being a subjective process anyway. For example, how would you calibrate a BnF in a premiership year vs PF year vs just making the top 8 vs wooden spoon year?

I think combining the above data with the amount of of AA awards and Brownlow votes maybe a fairer indicator of the rankings. These 2 awards are more reflective of the level of eliteness in a given year, regardless of where the team ends on the ladder.

5. Roo - 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 5th, 3rd, 1st
(2 BnF; 6 top-5; 5 top-3)

Picking one single measurement and then claiming that’s “relatively objective” is just silly.

I think we can all agree that any list that doesn’t have McLeod and Ricciuto at 1 and 2 (then we can debate which way around that goes), is a bad one.

Side note, Roo has 3 BnFs.

Picking one single measurement and then claiming that’s “relatively objective” is just silly.

I think we can all agree that any list that doesn’t have McLeod and Ricciuto at 1 and 2 (then we can debate which way around that goes), is a bad one.

Thanks for the correction with Roo. I’ve edited the first post and adjusted the rankings according to the top-5 BnF ratings.

Technically it is “relatively objective” because I’m not using any subjective emotions to come up with this list, just merely compiling the numbers in an article I came across recently. You can argue that it doesn’t quite meet your expectations, but it should in the least carry some weight to know who the most consistent and best players turn up each season for the Crows?

My guess is Laird doesn’t fit most fan’s expectations as being the top of the list, so probably need to add further parameters according to how you see fit. This isn’t the be all top 10 list, but just to highlight one perspective among many.

Thanks for the correction with Roo. I’ve edited the first post and adjusted the rankings according to the top-5 BnF ratings.

Technically it is “relatively objective” because I’m not using any subjective emotions to come up with this list, just merely compiling the numbers in an article I came across recently. You can argue that it doesn’t quite meet your expectations, but it should in the least carry some weight to know who the most consistent and best players turn up each season for the Crows?

My guess is Laird doesn’t fit most fan’s expectations as being the top of the list, so probably need to add further parameters according to how you see fit. This isn’t the be all top 10 list, but just to highlight one perspective among many.

224 games, 28 goals, 3x BnF, 2x All-Australian

312 games, 294 goals, Premiership player, Brownlow medallist, 3x BnF, 8x All-Australian (twice captain), leading goalkicker

340 games, 275 goals, 2x premiership player, 2x Norm Smith medallist, 3x BnF,
5x All-Australian (once captain)

I agree with you that Laird is treated disrespectfully on here, but let’s not pretend that it’s subjective emotion that leads us to view McLeod and Roo as our two best ever.

I actually don’t mind John’s attempts to use best and fairest data to inform an opinion… and I like other folks suggestions that it provides an incomplete picture and that one could include ladder position/finals wins etc. to add weight to said opinion… and I don’t dispute that Roo and McLeod were two of the all time greats to play the game… and yet despite him not even being on this list, having never won a best and fairest/brownlow/norm smith, I will go to my grave arguing that Darren Jarman is the best footballer I’ve ever seen play the game. Not the most dominant or consistent certainly, but the best? Yep. Hands down the most talented/creative/intelligent footballer I’ve watched. So using the methodology of me watching and enjoying football, Darren Jarman is the best to ever pull on the Crows guernsey. And everyone who disagrees with me is wrong. Why? Because I said so.

I guess I’m also saying that any metric that has Darren Jarman outside the top 10 Crows over the years is pretty flawed… but interesting. I like it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back