Opinion What are we becoming (the effects of this saga on us supporters and our values)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen it from both groups on occasion; I'm not going to name names. More from newbies who may not know better.

But still- Occam's Razor. When someone has been on a site for nigh on eight years as a listed Essendon supporter, and have posted as much as that across such a wide spectrum of topics (most of them not related to the saga at all) chances are, they're an Essendon supporter.

Some people need to take the tin foil hats off.
plus, people are allowed to have different opinions to the groupthink, and that's ok, even if you don't hold that opinion. Diversity of opinion is a GOOD THING.

I don't agree with some of what Ogg Cat says, but I agree with a hell of a lot more than I disagree. But more than that, I respect the hell out of his prosecution, if you will, of his unpopular case. It's hard to show that kind of resolve in the face of constant enmity. If anything, our club needs more supporters like him.

plus, people are allowed to have different opinions to the groupthink, and that's ok, even if you don't hold that opinion. Diversity of opinion is a GOOD THING.

I don't agree with some of what Ogg Cat says, but I agree with a hell of a lot more than I disagree. But more than that, I respect the hell out of his prosecution, if you will, of his unpopular case. It's hard to show that kind of resolve in the face of constant enmity. If anything, our club needs more supporters like him.

V well said Lance. And onya Ogg. Essendon, as long as I’ve been associated, has been a place associated with progressive and pluralistic approaches (indigenous issues, multicultural affairs) and space given to individual expression (Sheeds, recently Bomba) … We were always the LAST to adopt ice-vests/IV drips etc. etc. back in the day … There is a reckoning to be had at some point, but for me that’s after the current battle is fought.

I bought my first membership this year (yeah, I’m commitment-phobic), and will renew (though they do it for you now automatically don't they – and a donation …) for next year too. For me as much about finally admitting how red+black I am, as showing solidarity …

The thing I'd say is, nobody should be marginalised for their opinion. If someone's view is opposite to your own, really, so what?

Silly pondering, perhaps. For if humanity as a whole dealt with that better, we wouldn't have had so many wars. But still, it's just the Internet here. And it's just footy.

Vive la difference.

On the same note, again, it's just the Internet. If your experience with a few loud and unpleasant, but ultimately (mostly) anonymous voices are ruining the whole club for you that much, it's possibly time to step back and disengage a tad.

That's sad to hear. It has been so hard for a lot of fans. Constantly reading through the filth in the papers. It breaks you down. I will be a member next year. I will support the club but my passion is different to what it was two years ago. I don't nessessary blame the club, more so the media and industry.

I believe we did the wrong thing but I don't believe we were the only club. The majority of clubs had questionable programs.

There is a pretty strong reason for people getting tetchy at the idea of sacking Hird. It is undeniably possible that he is completely innocent of having done anything wrong. If that turns out to be the case then he becomes a man who has born more for the club on a personal level than anyone else now or in the past. So people who want him sacked before we find out that he has done anything wrong, run the risk of sacking our greatest ever club legend (based on what he has had to deal with in the past two years). No matter what your opinion on the matter, why would you want to take that risk? What would be the effect on the club if two years after he is sacked he is completely exonerated? I can't give you the answer to that, but i can tell you what the effect would be on me. It would be a fatal blow to my love for the club. Fatal in a way that i can't imagine could be induced by any other outcome that is currently imaginable. It would show that the club had no soul.
In summary, you don't put the soul of the club on the table. Putting up with another few months of a media s**t storm is nothing in comparison. So if you don't want to pilloried for your opinion, try to find an opinion that doesn't lay on the line everything we hold dear based on the veracity of the AFL media.

There's a strong reason for people to get tetchy, but people don't need to be so vicious in attacking those who don't conform to that view.

And that goes in both directions. I'm sure Ogg would admit he's said some less than savoury things at times this year.

Don't get caught up in most/many support Hird remaining as coach. The rule in these cases is that the most vocal/passionate dominate club specific fan forums,and this group tend to be the supporters of Hird as coach. The non supporters of Hird as coach and even those who are agnostic will post less often for a variety of reasons. My opinion is that the supporters/members ( and many don't go on social media ) are about evenly divided as to whether Hird should remain as coach. Noise is not always the majority and its like the media - Don't always believe what you hear or read.

Last edited:
I'm cancelling my membership partly because family commitments is making it difficult but also partly because of the complete opposite opinion. I'm angry that the club didn't fight on in August last year and I'm angry that they didn't fight harder regards Ryder trade this year.

Today, I did what I had thought of doing for some months and finally cancelled my membership.

No downgrade, no wait-and-see. Cancelled.

I hated doing it and I wish it wasn't the case, but having read the email sent recently to Rohan Connolly after merely reporting the stance of one of our board candidates (like Rohan had previously done for multiple of other candidates who had a pro-Hird stance), I felt compelled to make my 'stand'.

In truth, I love this football club despite the s**t it can put you through but I don't love being associated as a member of this club anymore when supporters of the club treat each other with such disdain in the name of one man.

No longer are we united by our love for club, rather, it seems the supporters are divided by their thoughts on Hird and his ongoing role as coach of this club.

To support this, look no further than BomberBlitz where those who idolise James Hird have hundreds of posts dedicated to the personal abuse of board nominee Jennings because of his stance on Hird. He's considered vermin (as described by a moderator over there in the thread title), has had every word and description in the dictionary utilised to belittle him, all because of his thoughts on Hird's ongoing employment.

Similarly with myself, I've had the 'pleasure' of having my supporter allegiances questioned upwards of five seperate times on here - all because I don't follow the majority in my views on Hird.

Quite frankly, it's s**t. It's a cultural problem that's ongoing and has continued to fester for sometime.

I've said it before but I feel as though until today, I had become a member of a cult whereby I was being ostracized for not following the leader (Hird) by my fellow members and supporters, rather than being united arm-in-arms in support of our club and all it encompasses.

I want to highlight that this is not Hird's fault. I still feel he should be held accountable by the club for his part in this saga but it's the prevailing attitude and behaviour of a significant portion of the club's membership base in support of him is what has broken and disenfranchised me.

When we have our own members sending those kind of emails and making those comments on Blitz towards fellow Essendon supporters and members all because they haven't placed Hird on a pedestal or haven't done enough to, then what exactly have we become and why should people really want to be associated as a member?

That's a question for each person and there's no right or wrong answer. Obviously I found my answer and solution.

So for the foreseeable future, I won't be a member. I'll wait until I feel like I'm joining a united front in supporting the club as an entity rather than an individual in the club.

I don't expect anyone here to care, but taking a stand for myself at least seems pointless without at least someone noticing or understanding why I am.

Fire away if you so choose, I guess, if you have any thoughts on the issues I see.

Do your self a favour and keep away from idiot fringe that is BB.

Cancel your membership by all means....pretty weak if you ask me.

What are we becoming?

-Best resourced club in the land
- Top 4 contending team
- Exceptional list depth and quality for the first time in 15 years
- Best training facilities in Australia
- Best coaching staff in the AFL
- Exceptional recruitment, development and professional development structures in place
- 60,000 members, making us one of the top 5 memberships in the country, possibly even higher this season
- Highest 'revenue per membership' in Victoria
- Potential Premiership side

But by all means, don't renew your membership. You put your eggs in the Thompson basket, and it didn't pan out. I'm sorry you feel so strongly about the Senior Coach to actually quit on the club.. but that is your choice.

Personally.. even though I am 'pro-Hird' or whatever you want to call it.. even in the height of the sheer stupidity that was the 'sacked/not sacked/maybe sacked' week.. I never even considered removing support for this club.. even if Bomber Thompson would be leading it in 2015. It seems even more baffling to cancel your membership because of what some random people may, or may not, say on an Internet forum.

Good news is there will be plenty of people ready to take your seat and watch the Bombers go for #17 in 2015. Shame you will miss the best season in many years...

I'm not a member. Never have been. Probably never will be. I live in Sydney. It makes no sense whatsoever for me to become a member. As far as I can tell, there's absolutely nothing I gain by becoming a member. Voting rights? Oh wow! Because I can totally make an informed decision on this matter! But Phone, the club needs your support. * off it does. It's just spent millions on legal fees, settlements and paying out contracts. It clearly does not need my financial support. I'm not wasting my money so I can become another digit on the ******* insanely stupid membership count arms race.

I respect the right to do it and I respect some of the reasons behind it, but you know what - nope I don't like the thread about it here pontificating about "you lot". And that an email from a clear feral sent you over the edge - why didn't the similarly disgusting commentary from opposition ferals steel your resolve and have you stick by the club?

We have some hideous fans - we also have some great ones and a great club that has lost its way at the moment. By all means, rejoin when everything feels a bit nicer and more comfortable, but don't make a thread announcing it.

Nope I don't like this at all

I'm not a member. Never have been. Probably never will be. I live in Sydney. It makes no sense whatsoever for me to become a member. As far as I can tell, there's absolutely nothing I gain by becoming a member. Voting rights? Oh wow! Because I can totally make an informed decision on this matter! But Phone, the club needs your support. **** off it does. It's just spent millions on legal fees, settlements and paying out contracts. It clearly does not need my financial support. I'm not wasting my money so I can become another digit on the ******* insanely stupid membership count arms race.

All the more reason to commit to a 'Beyond The Boundary' membership and indeed, any supporter, if they want to make a stand by not renewing their membership should consider at least buying one of these. Now is the most important time in our existence to stick fat - and in a convoluted way, you can make your own 'protest' by getting one of these - or if you live interstate or whatever - it is a small price to pay for being a part of the greatest football club in the land.

All the more reason to commit to a 'Beyond The Boundary' membership and indeed, any supporter, if they want to make a stand by not renewing their membership should consider at least buying one of these. Now is the most important time in our existence to stick fat - and in a convoluted way, you can make your own 'protest' by getting one of these - or if you live interstate or whatever - it is a small price to pay for being a part of the greatest football club in the land.
2015 is my 10th year as member. 6 of those years I lived in WA...

[QUOTE="daffo, post: 36231073, member]

I believe we did the wrong thing but I don't believe we were the only club. The majority of clubs had questionable programs.[/QUOTE]
Only one or two clubs could take the financial hit, let's make an example of Essendon, they're filthy rich,lets brush the rest under the carpet. I've never warmed to Hird, just not my sort of bloke, I grew up with T.D as captain, one of the boys. So I wasn't overly impressed when he was made coach. How's it affected me ? I keep having the constant thought of " we'll never live this down" it is so ******* frustrating. Constant reminders at family gatherings,work,media etc. we really do need a clean slate.
Still getting the membership though, I'd freak out if they ran out in Victoria without me being there, something about being in the blood. (Fully understand Ogg Cat and where he's coming from )

Last edited by a moderator:
What sort of club are we becoming? Any chance if we can become a strip club you'll rejoin Ogg Cat ? :p

I'm not a big fan of the whole extreme views on this matter. It's a sport, membership costs a lot of money and if you don't deem it's worth your while for any reason you choose fit, who am I to judge?

I'm hoping you'll still come to some Tanked sessions and games though buddy.

Peoples opinions on James Hird isnt whats split the membership, its the media driven slandernig of James Hird that has.

And im sure a lot of people who are against James Hird being coach now will change their minds and be happy for him to coach once all the players are found not guilty.

To be honest i couldnt care less what others decide to do with the membership. But I definitely wont be cancelling mine because other dont want James Hird to be coach next year, and im not going to cancel my membership because I dont like a few other supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back