Opinion Knightsight v Hinesight v Hindsight Nov 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Knighta,

Although the thing that I am a bit surprised about is the lack of intent to gain some forward crumbling X factor which we've really lacked since Davis and Krakouer finished. I don't see this being resolved with the current list but hope I'm wrong. Perhaps the recruiters have someone in mind in the rookie draft? Or else there are plans for some of our current brigade of smalls to emerge in that role. Also the apparent lack of a second forward. Not convinced Reid can string more than 2 games together - why the hell not go for McKenzie? Seriously, can he be worse than Gault? Makes no sense to me that one.

Totally agree. We've been dying for some x-factor since those two went. Which is why I was hoping we'd get Pickett.

McKenzie would have dropped IMO because of his inability to listen to team instructions. Eg. In one game the coach sent out a runner to tell him to move up the ground and he replied with "F*** off I'm staying right here" and loud enough for people in the crowd (possibly even recruiters to hear). Another player who at times can crack the sods when not getting good delivery.

In a nutshell he'll fit in well with Jack Riewoldt.

Watched the draft with my Mrs & she said when the Tigers read out McKenzies name that one of their guys at the microphone said to the other "Are you sure". Obviously not a unanimous decision at their table.
Back our recruiting team in. They know a hell of a lot more about these kids strengths weaknesses & potential to work hard & develop than any of us.

Hinesight - who Collingwood went with..
5. De Goey (14 in my power rankings - though with Heeney, Moore and Steele higher on my draft board that would essentially make him 11 of those live available selections on my draft board)
9. Moore (4 in my power rankings)
30. Maynard (32 in my power rankings)
48. Goodyear (63 on my extended power rankings)
75. Pass

Comments regarding our picks:
De Goey is a solid get. Not my best available but he can be a 200 gamer as a midfielder who can rotate forward and take a mark. You can use that.

Moore obviously is an excellent long term piece at 9 and terrific value as a genuine key forward you can build around long term.

Maynard is a strong contested ball winner with some versatility and has a powerful, low, hard kick to him when it's on target. Needs to work on his endurance so he can become a midfielder. I'd class him as someone who may make it if things go right and he can eventually build that midfield game he threatens to develop. In the short term my guess is he starts back until he builds that tank.

Goodyear is useful. It's against the odds he makes it but generally that is the case with the mid draft guys. The positives are his hardness inside as a guy who can win it inside but then also has some explosion by position with some pace. Disposal efficiency needs to improve, seems really rushed and pressured much of the time with ball in hand which is the major issue but if he cleans that up then he has an opportunity to develop given that ball winning ability and burst of acceleration.

Knightsight - In other words who I would have taken.
My locked in picks as per my pre-draft plan in my draft preview were as follows (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...iscussion-to-new-draft-review-thread.1082299/):
5. Jayden Laverde (also considered Langford here long and hard, not much in it but Laverde ever so slightly the pick with a few more tricks)
9. Darcy Moore
30. Connor Blakely
48. Reece McKenzie (had I known he would have been there at 75 I would have taken Dean Gore here and R.McKenzie at 75 but without that knowledge that R.McKenzie would certainly be available at 75 I would have taken him here)
75. Peter Bampton (While I like Gore more and he went to Geelong in the 50s I would still have been stoked with Bampton here who in his own right can ball. The lad shouldn't have gone undrafted and recruiters must have had their beer goggles on during the year to pass this fella up. Though I say the same with R.McKenzie going as late as he did)

Comments regarding my picks:
Laverde I favoured to De Goey because he had more tricks and a bit more special to him. Just that sheer evasive ability but then his power and burst of acceleration to go with his clean skills. I just like him that bit more. Funnily enough both R.McKenzie and Blakely I rate higher on my draft board than Laverde but it's a case of I thought I could get the guys I rated more highly later based on media rumours and that thought proved correct.

Moore again at 9 is a strong get and great long term piece. You'd do that every day of the week.

Blakely at 30 is terrific. He is the most dominant inside player in this draft. Has dominated at WAFL League level. Dominated through the U18 champs. Very tall midfielder but dominant inside game and excellent skillset as one of the rare few dominant inside mids and a tall inside mid at that with the skillset to also play outside. I expect numerous clubs will really regret letting Blakely slip into the 30s. I had him at 7 on my draft board which at 30 I'd naturally be stoked about.

R.McKenzie at 48 I'd be skipping a merry tune to get here and on my draft board I have him at 6 overall on my draft board, but would take him here given the sense that he would be more likely to go late draft. He has the scope to become the most dominant key forward in this draft class. Just such a big guy but so strong overhead, he has the dominant performances on the board but then has the athletic profile to go with it as the guy with the equal best time over 20m with Pickett of those drafted and a top 10 finish in the standing vertical. As a go to forward if things go right Reece could be the best in this draft.
Again had I known R.McKenzie would still be available at 75 I would have taken Dean Gore here as a powerful, well performed SA midfielder who has also dominated at League level. Gore wins his own footy, strong tackler, has an excellent long kick but then has a burst of pace to him and he has the ability to play forward and he later in the draft could be as good as and an excellent alternative to De Goey.

Bampton at 75 is another I went into the draft thinking would be half a chance to be here and I'd be stoked to get him. I have him at 31 on my draft board and the only of the players I consider capable contributors I would want to draft of those overlooked on draft day. Like Gore, Bampton is another incredibly well performed midfielder at SA League level and he has been dominant as that hard contested ball winner at that level for a couple of years now. He missed the second half of the season with injury and the U18 Champs so he hasn't been spoken about as much but he is another at that stage where I just couldn't more quickly get to the microphone to read out his name if there.

Hindsight: (to be determined down the track)
9. Moore (surely?)

--

*Here is last years thread for those interested in how I have performed in years past:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/hinesight-knightsight-and-hindsight.1041937/

I just can't help but be more bullish than usual with my views this year with the talents available at our picks from 30 onwards absolute bargains in each case in my view.
R.McKenzie, Blakely, Gore and Bampton are all just grossly underrated this year and as my pre-draft rankings suggest plainly I think all clubs got the evaluations wrong with these four.
But until we know, to be determined and fun to project ahead how these guys careers will turn out.
Just on Maynard, from what you said it seems like he has a pretty strong game just his endurance is a bit off. Is that not exactly the sort of guy who turns out to be a bargain? Would have thought endurance would be the easiest string to add to a bow as opposed to something like decision making or attitude

Can throw in a Wiz-sight for further interest, from respected track watcher Colin Wisbey's rankings:

Date Posted:23:45 27/11/14 Thu
Author: Colin Wisbey
Author Host/IP: c220-239-50-122.eburwd6.vic.optusnet.com.au / 220.239.50.122
Subject: If anyone is interested, here is my pre-draft top "30"

(Excluding F/S and other pre-determined picks)

1 Christian Petracca
2 Jake Lever
3 Caleb Marchbank
4 Jarrod Pickett
5 Angus Brayshaw
6 Jordan De Goey
7 Liam Duggan
8 Nakia Cockatoo
9 Patrick McCartin
10 Paul Ahern
11 Jayden Laverde
12 Jarrod Garlett
13 Blaine Boekhorst
14 Touk Miller
15 Billy Evans
16 Alex Neal-Bullen
17 Lachlan Weller
18 Hugh Goddard
19 Marc Pittonet
20 Daniel McKenzie
21 Connor Blakely
22 Sam Durdin
23 Brayden Maynard
24 Edward Vickers-Willis
25 Joe Maishman
26 Corey Ellis
27 Daniel Nielson
28 Peter Wright
29 Lukas Webb
30 Harrison Wigg
31 Tom Lamb
32 Daniel Butler
33 Jack Lonie

http://www.voy.com/51976/303652.html

A couple of questions for you Knightmare

I know it's early in the post draft analysis, but how many of the clubs have you identified the weightings of so far? For instance of the traits that the layman could spot ours were, IMO, clearly competitiveness and the ability to hunt the ball.

Also what lessons, if any, have you taken from the draft? I feel like last night was another step further in the direction of potential trumping results. Clubs appear to be increasingly putting faith in their development teams over what they've seen the kids do as jnr's. On the flipside a club like Melbourne who has traditionally struggled to develop players went with high production types.

On McKenzie it may be as simple as we overlooked him because of his coachability. The 4 we took all appear to be guys that will go to great lengths to improve their game and will be strong team men. From there it's very hard to nail our draft without access to interviewing these kids. So while there may have been more talented and higher production types available if they weren't coachable they wouldn't be high on our board.

FWIW I know some have said that we've put a weighting on players that performed in finals I tend to take a different view. The type of player that we liked (inside ball winner) has traditionally performed well in finals so, IMO, that finals performance was more a byproduct than something we targeted.

Last edited:
Disappointed in what?

None of the kids have even played a game yet or does someone have a crystal ball?

I think you will find Knightmare, Snoop and a handful of the other phantom draft guys watch a fair bit of junior football as well. They make the effort to ensure their opinions are informed. And are generous enough to share them with us. I really do not understand your angst at people willing to put their opinions on the line. Sure there is some projection involved but isn't that exactly what our recruiters are doing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you will find Knightmare, Snoop and a handful of the other phantom draft guys watch a fair bit of junior football as well. They make the effort to ensure their opinions are informed. And are generous enough to share them with us. I really do not understand your angst at people willing to put their opinions on the line. Sure there is some projection involved but isn't that exactly what our recruiters are doing?

It's such an Aussie trait to cut down the bloke willing to give it a go, but not get your hands dirty yourself. I don't expect anything else from that particular poster anyway though...

McKenzie would have dropped IMO because of his inability to listen to team instructions. Eg. In one game the coach sent out a runner to tell him to move up the ground and he replied with "F*** off I'm staying right here" and loud enough for people in the crowd (possibly even recruiters to hear). Another player who at times can crack the sods when not getting good delivery.

In a nutshell he'll fit in well with Jack Riewoldt.

This is a good example of things hardly anyone on Bigfooty would know about but would really make recruiters cringe.

If he mentally isn't up to AFL footy he'll be chewed up and spit out within a few years

Good pick up for them. A guy I was hoping we would be looking at.

Roos is quietly strengthening their list with some astute additions like Tyson last season and Frost this time around. Now they've well and truly loaded up their midfield. The improvement wont be rapid, but it will come.

Roos is quietly strengthening their list with some astute additions like Tyson last season and Frost this time around. Now they've well and truly loaded up their midfield. The improvement wont be rapid, but it will come.

372493-melbourne-takes-scully-at-no-1.jpg

Haha. What can I say, call it optimism. Honestly though, their backroom and coaching staff is more promising now than it was a few years back.

But what do I care? The more they suck, the better chance of Petracca at Collingwood in a few years

Interesting that maynard says collingwood interviewed him the most out of anyone. So it sounds like we were always going to draft him. Would i be correct that maynard had a good finals series knightmare? He seems to scream out hard work and competitiveness and usually with those traits and some talent you should turn into a handy player

Can throw in a Wiz-sight for further interest, from respected track watcher Colin Wisbey's rankings:
Don't let Carlton fans see that. It may bring them out of their misery

Boekhorst (spelling) rated 13?

Last edited:
Just on the topic on hindsight, i think we made 1 mistake this trade/draft period. Getting varcoe for lumamba instead of a draft pick. Look how even the draft was this year.

However, Varcoe is a proven AFL player, i guess, and he is now at our great club so i wish him the best.

Just on the topic on hindsight, i think we made 1 mistake this trade/draft period. Getting varcoe for lumamba instead of a draft pick. Look how even the draft was this year.

However, Varcoe is a proven AFL player, i guess, and he is now at our great club so i wish him the best.

I don’t think we would of Gotten a 2nd Rounder for Lumumba

Remove this Banner Ad

Back