Opinion Knightsight v Hinesight v Hindsight Nov 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Hinesight - who Collingwood went with..
5. De Goey (14 in my power rankings - though with Heeney, Moore and Steele higher on my draft board that would essentially make him 11 of those live available selections on my draft board)
9. Moore (4 in my power rankings)
30. Maynard (32 in my power rankings)
48. Goodyear (63 on my extended power rankings)
75. Pass

Rookie draft:
8. Michael Manteit (85 in my extended power rankings)
26. Brenden Abbott (56 in my power rankings)
43. Tony Armstrong (Unrated)
60. Mason Cox (43 in my power rankings)

Comments regarding our picks:
De Goey is a solid get. Not my best available but he can be a 200 gamer as a midfielder who can rotate forward and take a mark. You can use that.

Moore obviously is an excellent long term piece at 9 and terrific value as a genuine key forward you can build around long term.

Maynard is a strong contested ball winner with some versatility and has a powerful, low, hard kick to him when it's on target. Needs to work on his endurance so he can become a midfielder. I'd class him as someone who may make it if things go right and he can eventually build that midfield game he threatens to develop. In the short term my guess is he starts back until he builds that tank.

Goodyear is useful. It's against the odds he makes it but generally that is the case with the mid draft guys. The positives are his hardness inside as a guy who can win it inside but then also has some explosion by position with some pace. Disposal efficiency needs to improve, seems really rushed and pressured much of the time with ball in hand which is the major issue but if he cleans that up then he has an opportunity to develop given that ball winning ability and burst of acceleration.

Manteit is an efficient kicking back flanker and has a high motor. Competes reasonable well but for me lacks an x-factor that really sets him apart which is why I rate him lower rather than higher.

Abbott I really like the selection of. He is a big, strong boy but has some real acceleration and mobility. Good penetrating kick. Exceptionally versatile. He is on the improve. So he ticks the boxes for me. While he is a project player with poor endurance that can be improved in an AFL environment and given the improvement and given the mix of traits I give him a chance to make the grade.

Armstrong having had him last year we know who he is. Given his efficient footskills, some evasiveness, class with ball in hand and the ability to lower his eyes I'd actually be looking to shift him into the front half with that his best chance in my view of having a long term career at AFL level.

Mason Cox as a free hit I love the addition of. Tallest guy ever to be AFL listed, terrific athlete but also a highly intelligent guy which are all ticks. As a rotational ruck/key forward I'm not going to discount his chances of making the grade, even if Grundy and Witts are in my view our long term rucks and likely to become two of the better five or so in the game down the track.

Knightsight - In other words who I would have taken.
My locked in picks as per my pre-draft plan in my draft preview were as follows (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...iscussion-to-new-draft-review-thread.1082299/):
5. Jayden Laverde (also considered Langford here long and hard, not much in it but Laverde ever so slightly the pick with a few more tricks)
9. Darcy Moore
30. Connor Blakely
48. Reece McKenzie (had I known he would have been there at 75 I would have taken Dean Gore here and R.McKenzie at 75 but without that knowledge that R.McKenzie would certainly be available at 75 I would have taken him here)
75. Peter Bampton (While I like Gore more and he went to Geelong in the 50s I would still have been stoked with Bampton here who in his own right can ball. The lad shouldn't have gone undrafted and recruiters must have had their beer goggles on during the year to pass this fella up. Though I say the same with R.McKenzie going as late as he did)

Rookie draft:
8. Will Fordham
26. Nic Newman
43. Mason Cox

Comments regarding my picks:
Laverde I favoured to De Goey because he had more tricks and a bit more special to him. Just that sheer evasive ability but then his power and burst of acceleration to go with his clean skills. I just like him that bit more. Funnily enough both R.McKenzie and Blakely I rate higher on my draft board than Laverde but it's a case of I thought I could get the guys I rated more highly later based on media rumours and that thought proved correct.

Moore again at 9 is a strong get and great long term piece. You'd do that every day of the week.

Blakely at 30 is terrific. He is the most dominant inside player in this draft. Has dominated at WAFL League level. Dominated through the U18 champs. Very tall midfielder but dominant inside game and excellent skillset as one of the rare few dominant inside mids and a tall inside mid at that with the skillset to also play outside. I expect numerous clubs will really regret letting Blakely slip into the 30s. I had him at 7 on my draft board which at 30 I'd naturally be stoked about.

R.McKenzie at 48 I'd be skipping a merry tune to get here and on my draft board I have him at 6 overall on my draft board, but would take him here given the sense that he would be more likely to go late draft. He has the scope to become the most dominant key forward in this draft class. Just such a big guy but so strong overhead, he has the dominant performances on the board but then has the athletic profile to go with it as the guy with the equal best time over 20m with Pickett of those drafted and a top 10 finish in the standing vertical. As a go to forward if things go right Reece could be the best in this draft.
Again had I known R.McKenzie would still be available at 75 I would have taken Dean Gore here as a powerful, well performed SA midfielder who has also dominated at League level. Gore wins his own footy, strong tackler, has an excellent long kick but then has a burst of pace to him and he has the ability to play forward and he later in the draft could be as good as and an excellent alternative to De Goey.

Bampton at 75 is another I went into the draft thinking would be half a chance to be here and I'd be stoked to get him. I have him at 31 on my draft board and the only of the players I consider capable contributors I would want to draft of those overlooked on draft day. Like Gore, Bampton is another incredibly well performed midfielder at SA League level and he has been dominant as that hard contested ball winner at that level for a couple of years now. He missed the second half of the season with injury and the U18 Champs so he hasn't been spoken about as much but he is another at that stage where I just couldn't more quickly get to the microphone to read out his name if there.

Fordham I really liked coming into the rookie draft as a tall midfielder with some real class and an excellent ball user who can also provide some run. He has improved strongly over the second half of the season which is a good indicator of future development with a junior and he would be a perfect list fit given our relative lack of outside types.

Newnam as a mature back flank I really like and I'd take him instead of Armstrong as someone who as a back flanker is more productive, a more damaging kick, a good height at 187cm, younger and more likely to have a career at AFL level than I'd say of Armstrong. He won the Fothergill Round Medal for the VFL's most likely draft prospect.

Then Mason Cox as a free hit I'd do every day of the week.

Further notes:
I just can't help but be more bullish than usual with my views this year with the talents available at our picks from 30 onwards absolute bargains in each case in my view.
R.McKenzie, Blakely, Gore and Bampton are all just grossly underrated this year and as my pre-draft rankings suggest plainly I think all clubs got the evaluations wrong with these four.
But until we know, to be determined and fun to project ahead how these guys careers will turn out.

Summary: Collingwood did great selected De Goey and after 2018 it's hard to see anyone complaining about that in hindsight. Preference between Blakey/Maynard depends in part on values, positional need and is still very much open to interpretation. Newman as a rookie is a pick I like. Laverde who I picked is at a stage in his career where he could go either way - but in hindsight I view it a poor selection with only an ok contested side to his game and not of a level suitable for top 10 selection despite his considerable talent.

Footnote: *In hindsight what I can't understand looking back is why I passed on Peter Wright when I viewed him after Reece McKenzie as the clear best available. Having Wright/Moore/McKenzie hypothetically with the view towards developing them all as key forwards should not have been a problem. Wright going to Gold Coast hasn't developed as hoped but had he gone to a better team he should having seen his first couple of seasons be the clear best from this draft. While McKenzie in hindsight we now know didn't work out, a vision of McKenzie at FF, Wright at CHF and Moore as relieving ruck would have been optimal and if things worked out a real set and forget as per 2006 with Reid/Brown/Dawes with the clubs KPP stocks at that time with Cloke already on the list setting up that 2010 premiership core. My methodology since this draft has changed quite significantly moving towards a pure best available strategy certainly during the national draft if there are any players, particularly from the junior ranks I view as future best 22 players.

Hindsight: (to be determined down the track)
5. *Bid on Harris Andrews. Would Brisbane have matched given he went pick 61? Had they matched, though I thought they would have 5= Jordan De Goey
9. Match bids on Darcy Moore
30. Brayden Maynard
48. Reilly O'Brien
75. Adam Saad
Rookie draft:
8. Tom Papley (drafted 2015)
26. Tim Kelly (drafted 2017)
43. Anthony Tipungwuti (drafted 2015)
60. Mason Cox (cat b)
*With apologies to Liam Ryan (drafted 2017)
*Tom Stewart (drafted 2016) - would be there but left out because was playing local footy at this age/stage.

Summary: Collingwood killed it with JDG/Moore/Maynard. Newman has been reasonable and Fordham is a good state leaguer but Laverde and Blakely have nothing on JDG and Maynard and have been over time comprehensively passed by. Points to Dekka and decisively.

*Here is last years thread for those interested in how I have performed in years past:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/hinesight-knightsight-and-hindsight.1041937/

Last edited:
Good Read.

I am not as down as you are.

De Goey is a Very Solid Player that has Attributes to be a Very Good Player and Maynard could be something really good. Reminds me of Players that the Hawks Take

Mate, you do a superb job every year.

I really appreciate your work as I am sure do many others.

On a personal note, how do you find the time? No real need to answer :)

Interesting that the scum elected to take Foster ahead of McKenzie (son of a premiership player) as a tall forward option late in the draft.

You are either going to be proven very very right with McKenzie or very very wrong.

Still wish we had of used pick 75 on him. Hoping for Keitel in the rookie draft now.

The fact that Geelong took Gore has me thinking we might have missed out on one there, though with De Goey and Maynard the supposed speed of Goodyear might be a better fit.

One wonders if our supposed interest in Cavka was even real now?

Hi Knighta,

De Goey was a player that really grew on me in the lead up to the draft. I like his size and skill set. To me it seems the big thing will be his production but even if he can get his numbers into the 20s you'd think he's going to end up being a real impact player with what he does. Higher than that and he could even be a star.

I also like the focus on ball winning, good sized utilities to really add some positional versatility to our squad. Although the thing that I am a bit surprised about is the lack of intent to gain some forward crumbling X factor which we've really lacked since Davis and Krakouer finished. I don't see this being resolved with the current list but hope I'm wrong. Perhaps the recruiters have someone in mind in the rookie draft? Or else there are plans for some of our current brigade of smalls to emerge in that role. Also the apparent lack of a second forward. Not convinced Reid can string more than 2 games together - why the hell not go for McKenzie? Seriously, can he be worse than Gault? Makes no sense to me that one.

Geelong will now have plenty of X factor with Cockatoo and Motlop. But I'm still happy with our first pick and the rumour is that Geelong had him in their target as well. Love to get that confirmed.

On the surface the other big winners tonight seem to be Essendon (seems kind of perverse that they got two such highly rated kids - cringe) and West Coast with Duggan, Lamb and they got someone else good who I forget.

My son cried when we didn't pick Liam Duggan. Boy footy is an emotional game especially when you are young!

Thanks for all your hard work again KM and for putting yourself out there and giving us all such great context on the new kids.

In hinesight, well competition for spots now is game on and can goodyear be the new late pick diamond like swanny was with simultaneity's ;);)

Hey Knightmare your rating out of 10 for this years draft?

Plus was it better than last years your reckon?

I'm personally pretty disappointed ...

And another q, two years ago people were saying that Hugh Goddard was the best player form this crop. Went at pick 21 ... Do you think he was just over rated, or did his form just go down badly over the years?

And another q, two years ago people were saying that Hugh Goddard was the best player form this crop. Went at pick 21 ... Do you think he was just over rated, or did his form just go down badly over the years?

How can you be disappointed?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if you can't be disappointed then you also can't be excited either. Since we don't know if they will be good or bad. Double standards on this board?

Personally I am ambivalent on this draft.

Surely it is more natural to be excited about new players than to be disappointed?

Surely it is more natural to be excited about new players than to be disappointed?

If he was hoping to get certain players and didn't then its natural to be disappointed. If we got players you like then be excited. Personally I think its more stupid to blindly be excited just because we drafted someone. Lets face it no matter who we drafted some people would be excited.

Good Read.

I am not as down as you are.

De Goey is a Very Solid Player that has Attributes to be a Very Good Player and Maynard could be something really good. Reminds me of Players that the Hawks Take

I'm not so much down as I'm just shruggling my shoulders as if to say "we did ok, but I'm hardly jumping out of my seat with excitement." But with different talent identifications that indifferent feel will happen more years than not and we've just had a lucky run of good drafts these past years where my pre-draft rankings probably aligned a little more closely with who Collingwood liked in those years.

Love the title!

Could you perhaps speculate as to why McKenzie slid so far? Why do you think clubs were hesitant on picking him?

There are a number of reasons R.McKenzie fell.

To summarise:
Is his just beating guys in the u18s based on his size advantage? After all he is 107kg!
He doesn't hit the scoreboard all that much from general play as a mark and goal forward only type at this point.
He doesn't always have the same impact against better opposition (which is a concern playing against better competition at the next level obviously)
He isn't quick changing directions as a guy who is so big and explosive that you won't be seeing him turn on a dime any time soon.
Endurance could be better.
Versatility? He can play some ruck but I'd only be willing to use him at full forward as that go to guy with that where he achieves his best results.
He hasn't had many opportunities against better competition (just the 1 u18 champs game) and no VFL.

So those would be among those reasons R.McKenzie dropped so far.

For me personally. I like him despite all those perceptions and feel his strengths are such dominant strengths that none of that much matters. But talent identification is very individual as you have probably figured based on my rating of McKenzie v the clubs tonight.

Thanks for all your hard work Knightmare. How do you feel about our drafting this year compared to your initial reaction about our drafting last year?

It will be interesting to see how Goodyear turns out compared to the players who were taken after him.

I have liked our drafts in other years more to a large extent. In other years I've just felt more excited about the value we managed to achieve with our selections. This year I'm just not feeling that same value.

Other than Moore it's the least excited I've been since 2007 when we did that horrible Cameron Wood trade, giving up our first round selection. In saying I'm not excited, I'm not disappointed either with many the guys selected not overly surprising to see selected.

Mate, you do a superb job every year.

I really appreciate your work as I am sure do many others.

On a personal note, how do you find the time? No real need to answer :)

When you enjoy things you make time for it. For me it's that simple. And when you've got my mentality wanting to improve in everything I do I just can't not want to come back and make things bigger and better every year.

I'm interested into why Laverde slid to 20

Partly needs. Partly wanting other things. Just those clubs in that range after Collingwood in the most part needed other things more.

Essendon had a ripping draft with Langford and Laverde. They're a real winner this year with both excellent value picks and excellent talents to build with going forward.

Interesting that the scum elected to take Foster ahead of McKenzie (son of a premiership player) as a tall forward option late in the draft.

You are either going to be proven very very right with McKenzie or very very wrong.

Still wish we had of used pick 75 on him. Hoping for Keitel in the rookie draft now.

The fact that Geelong took Gore has me thinking we might have missed out on one there, though with De Goey and Maynard the supposed speed of Goodyear might be a better fit.

One wonders if our supposed interest in Cavka was even real now?

That was very interesting to me also and I was thinking after pick 48 that surely Carlton would take Reece with one of their later picks with a few picks before our pick 75.

Foster can play in his own right and was the leading goalkicker in the TAC Cup. I can only imagine based on that selection that Carlton want someone more immediate than McKenzie and liked what Foster showed.
Just glad not to be a Carlton fan. I'd be tearing my hair out with their selections again this year. Boekhorst I had at 42 in my power rankings, C.Smith at 45 and Viojo-Rainbow and Foster inside my top 70. I'd have gone with Laverde, Blakely, R.McKenzie and Bampton in their situation (curiously the same as I would for the Pies). That might be a fun one to track and see how it goes 6 years from now.

I think we also missed out, passing on Gore at 48 as we did with Blakely at 30. Gore is really terrific and you could just about substitute him for De Goey. He isn't as tall and not dominant on the same level overhead up forward but he does basically all the same things and is a better performed player. I really like Gore's chances long time as I do with Blakely.

With Cavka I get the sense we still liked him and that pick 75 we probably would have used had he slipped, but I imagine we wanted Goodyear more.

Hi Knighta,

De Goey was a player that really grew on me in the lead up to the draft. I like his size and skill set. To me it seems the big thing will be his production but even if he can get his numbers into the 20s you'd think he's going to end up being a real impact player with what he does. Higher than that and he could even be a star.

I also like the focus on ball winning, good sized utilities to really add some positional versatility to our squad. Although the thing that I am a bit surprised about is the lack of intent to gain some forward crumbling X factor which we've really lacked since Davis and Krakouer finished. I don't see this being resolved with the current list but hope I'm wrong. Perhaps the recruiters have someone in mind in the rookie draft? Or else there are plans for some of our current brigade of smalls to emerge in that role. Also the apparent lack of a second forward. Not convinced Reid can string more than 2 games together - why the hell not go for McKenzie? Seriously, can he be worse than Gault? Makes no sense to me that one.

Geelong will now have plenty of X factor with Cockatoo and Motlop. But I'm still happy with our first pick and the rumour is that Geelong had him in their target as well. Love to get that confirmed.

On the surface the other big winners tonight seem to be Essendon (seems kind of perverse that they got two such highly rated kids - cringe) and West Coast with Duggan, Lamb and they got someone else good who I forget.

My son cried when we didn't pick Liam Duggan. Boy footy is an emotional game especially when you are young!

Thanks for all your hard work again KM and for putting yourself out there and giving us all such great context on the new kids.

I'm not going to write off De Goey. He is a tall midfield. Capable inside/outside. Good user of the ball. And a strong marking target forward of centre. He can have a strong career for us. Even without being my preferred option.

For that small forward I half suspect we'll look to the pre season draft and take Ahmed Saad if there. Otherwise we may just not see anyone available. Other than Toby McLean I wasn't myself hugely excited about any of the other small forwards. With the other high end indigenous kids more guys I'd look to play up the field in Pickett, Garlett and Cockatoo as guys who can take on the game like few others.

Essendon were terrific. Melbourne for me were that other big winner. Value at every pick and they've for me got five players who can play at the next level which is pretty much unheard-of in a draft but these guys are that good. It's just up to their player development to make these guys into the pros they look to have the scope to become.

West Coast didn't excite me massively with their picks with Cavka from a value perspective their better one. Duggan I feel will be a strong pro without being the best guy there at 11, in the same way I'd say of De Goey at 5.

PS the late afl.com draft had us with Blakely at 30!

I read that with interest and Blakely throughout the year was linked to us. I had him at our pick 30 for a while there mostly out of hope. Disappointed as anything we missed on him. He is another David Mundy and for me a sure thing and possibly the best mid in the draft.

In hinesight, well competition for spots now is game on and can goodyear be the new late pick diamond like swanny was with simultaneity's ;);)

That's the thing with the draft. Like a lottery ticket, funny things happen and you never quite know for certain when you're going to win.

If he was hoping to get certain players and didn't then its natural to be disappointed. If we got players you like then be excited. Personally I think its more stupid to blindly be excited just because we drafted someone. Lets face it no matter who we drafted some people would be excited.

Being disappointed about a player who is yet to play a game is also pretty stupid. Personally I am happy to trust in the professionals.

Being disappointed about a player who is yet to play a game is also pretty stupid. Personally I am happy to trust in the professionals.

Ill get excited when I see for myself if a player looks good. e.g. in a game VFL or AFL. Until then Im just taking other peoples word for it. Even Hine gets it wrong sometimes.

5/10. Neither excited nor disappointed. Moore is terrific and without him I wouldn't be as happy, but the other selections are more just a feeling of acceptance rather than joy or rage.

With Goddard he was overrated. He was playing key forward and people likes his height/physical attributes and didn't pay enough attention to his footballing ability and I was saying as much coming into this year. His performances up forward just lacked that bit of dominance to it as a guy who could kick 2-3 goals each game without ever feeling like he'd do better. Basically he just wasn't good enough below his knees, lacking some co-ordination down there and he wasn't dominant overhead either. Down back though he looks excellent and like a long term piece after his performance in the back half over the second half of the season so he is better than pick 21 and should have for me anyway gone somewhere closer to pick 10.

He is another David Mundy and for me a sure thing and possibly the best mid in the draft.

You seem to rate a Tall Mid who has gone the last 2 season with Blake Acers last year

Ill get excited when I see for myself if a player looks good. e.g. in a game VFL or AFL. Until then Im just taking other peoples word for it. Even Hine gets it wrong sometimes.

Obviously.

You seem to rate a Tall Mid who has gone the last 2 season with Blake Acers last year

When they're as well performed as Acres and Blakely I feel there is good reason. Both are terrific and long term have the ability to be among the best from their respective drafts.

When they're as well performed as Acres and Blakely I feel there is good reason. Both are terrific and long term have the ability to be among the best from their respective drafts.

But I find it Interesting that ones you rate High have gone back a bit later then you had in your Rankings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back