Toast Pick #19: Welcome to Carlton Blaine Boekhorst

Remove this Banner Ad

No, you're missing the point. You've labelled our recruiting manager "a tosser and a coward" because you presume that he (and others unanimously) rated other talents ahead of Boekhorst yet jumped the gun for fear of missing out. All reports are that he rated Boekhorst in the top 5 midfielders in the draft - meaning he didn't jump the gun, he chose the best midfielder available at that pick. Your dig at Shane is based purely on your own opinion of the draft talent and, as a result, believing that was his/ everyone else's opinion of the draft talent.

What I'm saying is maybe wait a little so that Boekhorst and, hence, Shane can prove he was worth the pick 19. You've stated as if it is fact that he is not worth that pick - but all that is based on is a pure speculative opinion. You are entitled to that, but you're not entitled to label someone a "tosser and a coward" based on that opinion. That's just not on.
I dig at Shane because I think he's a bad recruiting manager. I'm sure he doesn't give a **** what I think however.

It's not speculation.

I dig at Shane because I think he's a bad recruiting manager. I'm sure he doesn't give a **** what I think however.

It's not speculation.

You're basing your opinion of him on two drafts (2013 & 2014) - drafts where the talent hasn't even had a chance to prove themselves, nor their worth. Speculative is perhaps the wrong choice of words. Presumptive would be better.

Welcome to Big Footy gandaal

14184.jpg

Who the hell picked this guy? ODN? Aph? Jeremias? Was this the best young poster available? Have a look how old he is, how bitter and twisted he sounds. Not sure what his negativity will bring to the place but time will tell I guess. Welcome gandaal! Here's hoping we get 100K posts out of you and you prove me wrong.

Clubs put more emphasis on external things now, like psych tests. This could be a reason that some fell.

I know of 1 that dropped an heard a rumour about another.

Given the choice you'd rather play with a bloke 8/10 talent and 10/10 mentally strong than 10/10 talent and 5/10 upstairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14184.jpg

Who the hell picked this guy? ODN? Aph? Jeremias? Was this the best young poster available? Have a look how old he is, how bitter and twisted he sounds. Not sure what his negativity will bring to the place but time will tell I guess. Welcome gandaal! Here's hoping we get 100K posts out of you and you prove me wrong.

Funny s**t!! :thumbsu:

Geez, I'm aware highlight reels are just that - highlight reels, but what a bloody good one he has. Quick and deceptive feet you can't teach. Also love his kicking action and of course, his pace. Also like the fact he's been playing against men.

Hoping the only reason he was off radars was due to his age.

Flog him over the pre-season and have him playing by mid-2015. Looks to have enough class to play AFL.

Although I would like to hear from regular Swan Districts viewers.. Anyone?

He is 21. That is considered mature age.

Harry Taylor was 22 when drafted.

Hope he works out well for you guys, plenty of time for development yet.

Sorry but 21 is not mature age. I will concede someone in their mid 20's is mature age for a footballer but not at 21.

14184.jpg

This place is boring when your not posting, :thumbsu:

Welcome gandaal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbs used to get it 25 times in the sanfl and was pretty hopeless his first year in the afl.
Er, no. Opposition coaches were actually tagging him in his first year playing at half-back. On the few occasions he was left to himself he carved teams up.

We're jumping at shadows becuse we have been criticised for our recruiting, best we see how BB evolves may well be a gone.
Menzel was touted as a bold pick, so was yarran if I recall

I reserve my judgement

Just watching his highlights, you can see why we would take Blaine at 19.

*Has excellent vision. He hits teammates with dinky sideways kicks like Steve Johnson and creates things.

*Has a huge turn of speed. He breaks away from packs and splits packs open.

*Has terrific disposal. By hand and foot, he seems to hit targets cleanly and quickly.

*Is the right age. He won't be hanging around in the 2nd for years waiting for a call up. Could well play Rd1.

Did you just copy and paste Chris Judd's draft bio??

has 2 distinct kicking actions from those highlights. his bullet passes are beautiful to watch and has a great action. His lob passes seems to be from a high drop point but to be fair doesnt miss any targets (albeit in a highlights reel). Seems to have good pace and is a good size, club would definitely be hoping to get 12+ games out of him next year i reckon.

For once I'm really happy with our selections. We have picked up kids with elite kicking skills something our team severely lacks. Look at Hawthorn as an example. We have constantly recruited athletes with average kicking skills but are tall athletic types. FWIW Laverdes highlights don't look anything special and in my opinion looks to panic when pressured. The recruiting of Broekhurst is interesting as Murphy is now 27 and Gibbs 25 so it's good to not have an 18 year old midfielder that would of taken 3 or 4 years to hopefully develop. Trust our recruiting department and I wouldn't be suprised if Mick had a say in the decision, very good judge.

has 2 distinct kicking actions from those highlights. his bullet passes are beautiful to watch and has a great action. His lob passes seems to be from a high drop point but to be fair doesnt miss any targets (albeit in a highlights reel). Seems to have good pace and is a good size, club would definitely be hoping to get 12+ games out of him next year i reckon.

Does anyone miss targets in a 'highlights' reel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back