No one glad to see the back of Grant Dorrington?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
He's finally retired from his position with the WAFC..an absolute clown. Under his watch he changed the name of the league to Westar Rules (i mean what the * is that) and allowed Peel in among other decisions that killed the league in many ways.

One of the many sacred cows of the commission that defined 'jobs for the boys'. It's a shame Robbie West (one of my favourite players) is his son in law.

Well said MB ..but also lets not forget he has given us the pathetic host club crap not once but now twice :mad: & who could forget the Brady Anderson Sandover Medal betting scandal that was traced back to a leak from his office!! :(
And despite all of these complete faaark ups under his watch he still thinks he is some sort of messiah of WAFL footy judging by that report in the West!! :eek:
Hopefully we get someone in the role who can actually come up with at least 1 good idea for the WAFL & not someone who pander's to the 2 AFL clubs in the hope of a free ticket & free lunch at Subi Oval every weekend!

I'm going to take a stance somewhere between the first couple of roast's and Kwality's appreciation of his efforts.

When I was younger I thought he was a complete and utter clown. As you get older you appreciate the efforts, dedication and loyalty that someone demonstrates, notwithstanding that effort is not always reflective of positive outcomes. I've had the chance to meet and talk on a couple of occasions and his heart is certainly in the right place, so thanks to Dorro for his service. :thumbsu:

I do think, however, that this chance should be taken to install someone from a younger generation to keep in touch with what the up and coming viewers of our wonderful game want out of the WAFL. :footy:

From the outside looking in from my grassy knoll, Dorro is a bit of a droppy.

From a personal contact with him in relation to "disabled" people using recreation facilities near his home, I was gobsmacked. I made the comment that he needed to spend an hour with Louise Saviage.

You can be very dedicated, but still be a droppy.

He's finally retired from his position with the WAFC..an absolute clown. Under his watch he changed the name of the league to Westar Rules (i mean what the **** is that) and allowed Peel in among other decisions that killed the league in many ways.

One of the many sacred cows of the commission that defined 'jobs for the boys'. It's a shame Robbie West (one of my favourite players) is his son in law.
Dorrington was a very ordinary player, very ordinary coach and even more ordinary administrator. if westar rules and peel were his doings , how on earth did he last so long in the job.

He's finally retired from his position with the WAFC..an absolute clown. Under his watch he changed the name of the league to Westar Rules (i mean what the **** is that) and allowed Peel in among other decisions that killed the league in many ways.
One oddity I want to note is that I think the newer “WAFL” logo is actually much better than the one in use before the Westar Rules era. I actually laugh at the way the swan holds the ball on the old WA(N)FL logo, and both the lettering and picture on the modern logo is definitely better.

Still, a better logo is a small thing and the change to “Westar Rules”, host clubs, and admission of Peel are questionable at the very best and possibly costly long-term errors.

The worst example of a 'Talking Head' I have ever come across, so far up himself I'm amazed how he didn't disappear. Part of a clique that for far too long has had too much control and influence over football in WA. Should've been given the arse at least 10 years ago.

Dorrington was a very ordinary player, very ordinary coach and even more ordinary administrator. if westar rules and peel were his doings , how on earth did he last so long in the job.
The logical answer is that the AFL teams were generally so profitable with WA's inexhaustible mining boom that the WAFC never had problems with money and saw no need to risk a change.

Although I have read a bit about why “Westar Rules” was changed back to “WAFL”, I have not read much about the rationale for either the change to “Westar Rules” after the 1996 season nor the even more abortive change in the name to the less-“contrived” Western Australia State Football League for the 1990 season. Can any give give me the lowdown on these decisions??

The logical answer is that the AFL teams were generally so profitable with WA's inexhaustible mining boom that the WAFC never had problems with money and saw no need to risk a change.

Although I have read a bit about why "Westar Rules" was changed back to "WAFL", I have not read much about the rationale for either the change to "Westar Rules" after the 1996 season nor the even more abortive change in the name to the less-"contrived" Western Australia State Football League for the 1990 season. Can any give give me the lowdown on these decisions??

In the 90s the Eagles effectively went broke - so profitable :confused: ...folklore

In the 90s the Eagles effectively went broke - so profitable :confused: ...folklore
The economic histories I have of the AFL suggest that the only time either Western Australian club made a loss was Fremantle in 2000 and 2001. When were the Eagles actually losing money and how did they deal with the problem??

Oh great. He's back now was commissioner of the league! Happy days are here again. He might change the name of the league to Superstar Allsorts sponsored by Dulux or something now. Why not bring in a team from Chidlow too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The WAFL is in a malaise currently but the clubs are convinced he can fix them ... good luck

They need to get rid of EP Eagles and Peel Dockers and pray they can get the league on telly (it's a day away from December and a deal still hasn't been rubber stamped LMAO)

No different to 2nd tier footy across the nation - they need to attract bums on seats & accept their finances are in their hands, or the status of 2nd tier footy will follow the VFL model where Geelong have had a reserves team for 20 odd years & the other Melbourne clubs are slowly falling into line.

The economic histories I have of the AFL suggest that the only time either Western Australian club made a loss was Fremantle in 2000 and 2001. When were the Eagles actually losing money and how did they deal with the problem??

Its not as simple as google it, is it mianfei !!
Fairly sure its well covered in the 1997 history of the Eagles first 10 years but my copy is safely (?) packed away somewhere so I cant offer you more.

That it happened here is a link to WA Hall of Famer (good footballer too) Dr Peter Tannock:

Initially filling a vacancy created on the independent WAFL board, Tannock became chairman of the Football Development Trust in 1988 and began implementing the model for junior development that is now the envy of all other states. Football had at that time largely disappeared from the schools and junior development was in a desperate state. In the FDT role, Tannock emerged as a leading player in the formation of an independent Football Commission and in June 1989 he became inaugural WAFC chairman.

The major changes driven by the independent commission under Tannock may be summarised thus:

• The rescue of Indian Pacific Ltd (owner of West Coast Eagles) and restructure to bring WCE under Commission control.
  • The restoration of the financial health of West Australian football through the agency of loan restructure, Government guarantee and development of new income streams.
  • The granting of a 99-year lease of Subiaco Oval to the WAFC though government legislation providing security of tenure and confidence to invest in the asset.
  • The formation of a second AFL club in WA under the control of the Commission.
http://www.wafootballhalloffame.com.au/inductees/5103-peter-tannock

Note the emphasis on the welfare on WA footy at all levels.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back