Remove this Banner Ad

dinnaz

Club Legend
Dec 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
wafl-retro.png
Where do I even start about this whole dogs breakfast. Personally speaking I attend a few local games each year yet outside of the grand final have never felt any real sense of atmosphere. As somewhat of a neutral observer i'd love to have a reason to be proud of and support my local side each week.
All I hear and see from those in charge are inadequate rule changes, old school rhetoric and the bemoaning of a slow decline thats been in motion for 30 years.

• The standard of football is poor.
  • No support gameday other than those intimately involved. Basically families of players & rusted on powerbrokers from pre 1990's.
  • I can flip a coin and pick the winner each year with great success (either Subiaco or Claremont).
  • AFL affiliated reserve teams are unbalanced. WCE poor, Peel strong.
  • Perth are currently and will be forever noncompetitive.
  • WAFL colts fail to produce talent for the premier competition AFL.

The competition is in dire need of an overhaul. What can be done? What should be done? Where is the aspiration of this once proud football state?

You make some good points, dinnaz, but I don't necessarily think the standard of footy is poor (just my opinion).
I agree with you about Subiaco's dominance, but Claremont hasn't won a flag since 2012.
In that time, Subi has won 5 flags, Peel Thunder and West Perth have won 2 each, and South Fremantle has won once.
I have my fingers crossed that 2023 is East Perth's year.

You make some good points, dinnaz, but I don't necessarily think the standard of footy is poor (just my opinion).
I agree with you about Subiaco's dominance, but Claremont hasn't won a flag since 2012.
In that time, Subi has won 5 flags, Peel Thunder and West Perth have won 2 each, and South Fremantle has won once.
I have my fingers crossed that 2023 is East Perth's year.
It's obviously hard to measure but imagine a boutique comp with all the players who blow through staying. Retiring AFL types could slot in for a year, those who play country footy for $$$ could be enticed, we could attract VFL and SANFL stars from over east.

A period of dominance is usually down to good management but realistically the system has allowed Subiaco/Claremont to thrive while Perth & Peel(unaligned) stand no chance.

I don't know the value of WAFL clubs' salary caps, but I think they'd need to be significantly higher to attract more VFL and SANFL stars to WA.
And that would largely depend on the WAFC opening its purse strings given that most clubs are just "hanging on" financially.
Peel Thunder have at least enjoyed recent premiership success, in 2016 and 2017, assisted by their alignment with the Dockers.
However, I feel for Perth supporters, who in my mind are the most resilient in the WAFL, given that the Demons last won a flag in 1977.
The AFL equivalent is St Kilda, but the Saints have been semi-regular finalists since their one premiership in 1966.
Indeed, they've been dreadfully unlucky, losing grand finals in 1971, 1997, 2009 and 2010, but I'm drifting off-topic.

There is such a gulf between AFL and WAFL in every way I can't see how the WAFL can compete.
Become more of a local competition. Imagine pushing more community events and being involved a lot more in local junior footy. I think it would be great to have friends and family all invested and involved outside of the ages 16-20.
I feel like the general sentiment is that once you are no good - out the door you go, never to see you never again. It's a sheltered old boys club right now.

Become more of a local competition. Imagine pushing more community events and being involved a lot more in local junior footy. I think it would be great to have friends and family all invested and involved outside of the ages 16-20.
I feel like the general sentiment is that once you are no good - out the door you go, never to see you never again. It's a sheltered old boys club right now.
There is a lot of that now. WAFL play games all over the state mainly in the home teams zone. The club's do a lot in the local community. East Fremantle players and explayers are out and about a lot. Even a local fair day.
There are lots of kids at the first training for futures and Colts but yea, plenty drop off quickly.

Not sure if tv coverage is helping. Be good for whoever is the scout for an AFL team.

There is a lot of that now. WAFL play games all over the state mainly in the home teams zone. The club's do a lot in the local community. East Fremantle players and explayers are out and about a lot. Even a local fair day.
There are lots of kids at the first training for futures and Colts but yea, plenty drop off quickly.

Not sure if tv coverage is helping. Be good for whoever is the scout for an AFL team.
TV coverage would be huge. Most kids want to play AFL because it's whats in your face.
Crowd numbers show that there's a distinct lack of community engagement in the city.
I'd love to wander down to Leederville oval for a burger and a beer if it was easy and inviting.

I would think games at Leederville, Claremont and Fremantle would be part of a good day out. Good public transport so anyone can get there.
I realize the AFL is the big draw now but it's not for everyone and there are plenty of people who are not fans or members of the two Perth AFL teams.
Even Bassendean oval is easy enough to get to. Just the bar & facilities are geared towards the members rather than attracting the general public.
They are all over 60🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back