2022 WAFL General Discussion & News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Well Peelmantle has made a big statement coming into this week's finals.....shades of 2016 & 17 with their parachuting of AFL aligned players into the WAFL finals series.....obviously less Freo boys will be allowed to play this year compared to in the past.

Should be a cracking contest v SF on Sunday.....for me on paper SF have the height and physicality to provide Peelmantle a sterner contest then SD provided yesterday. Free, Strom x2, Miller, Shaw and Schlensog provide the defensive and forward height, which the other WAFL teams don't have, to test Peelmantle....whilst Florenca(if back), Schloithe, Suban and Ah Chee provide some quality through the midfield.

Be interesting to see which 12 aligned boys Peelmantle use this weekend....15 were selected v SD, only 14 played with Tucker getting injured early, plus Sebit and Western played reserves and Johnson played neither....so whatever 12 Peelmantle settle for, they will be the best credentialed ones available.

Peel Thunder can use as many AFL listed players as they want this week, Fremantle are still in the finals so there is no restriction on AFL aligned players playing in the WAFL.

• Swan Districts have sacked League coach Adam Pickering with one year remaining on his contract. Pickering, who had been the League coach at Swan Districts for five seasons was informed of the club's decision today with Swans to begin looking for their next League coach immediately. The news comes as both Perth and East Perth sacked their League coaches late last month.
  • Former Subiaco coach Peter German and current North Fremantle amateur coach Anthony Rock are the leading candidates to coach Perth after applications for the position closed on Wednesday night.

• Peter Sumich has withdrawn from the East Perth and Perth coaching race, it's believed Sumich reached his decision over the weekend.
  • Peel Thunder will have less AFL listed players to pick from this week with Matt Taberner and Travis Colyer not qualifying for finals as per the current rules with Fremantle no longer in the AFL finals series. The Thunder have also ruled out Jye Amiss for the season after pulling up sore from the weekend's loss to Collingwood in the AFL while Traye Bennell is also out with concussion.

Wow I can now let my breath out, I was like a few others were worried that we would go even further backwards if Sumich came to the club. McQueen is the logical choice and should be handed the keys to the Audi and the coaches office. All we would need then is to let the football department do their assigned tasks without interference from so called mentors and hangers on.

Wow I can now let my breath out, I was like a few others were worried that we would go even further backwards if Sumich came to the club. McQueen is the logical choice and should be handed the keys to the Audi and the coaches office. All we would need then is to let the football department do their assigned tasks without interference from so called mentors and hangers on.
Tony Micale Boogyman?

I’m alittle concerned with this years finals . Peel are going to rob the WAFL grand final again by loading thier side with AFL players . My beloved sharks have a chance to win a premiership since 1998 and no doubt today peel will beat Claremont with the AFL Players now available . I feel it’s cheating

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes the 2000's seem to be a thing the club wants to hang onto and hence we get left further behind, I have that he is on the panel WHY!

• Perth has signed Peter German as coach for the next three seasons. German previously coached Subiaco to two premierships in the 2000's and spent time as an assistant coach in the AFL, including stints with West Coast Eagles and Fremantle. German replaces Garry Moss as coach after he was sacked with two rounds remaining last month.
  • East Perth will become the eighth club to have a WAFLW League side after the Royals were admitted to the League competition for 2023.
  • With East Perth admitted to the WAFLW League competition for 2023, the WAFLW Reserves competition will be put on hiatus for the next two seasons and will be reviewed after the completion of the 2024 season. The decision to suspend the WAFLW Reserves competition was reached by a majority of clubs in order to ensure a sustainable competition and pathway to the state level. The WAFC remains open to bringing the competition back at a later date.

• Swan Districts have announced Andrew Pruyn as their League coach for the next seasons, replacing the recently sacked Adam Pickering. Pruyn was the club's Senior Assistant League Coach for the past three seasons and also spent time as an Assistant Coach under Greg Harding in 2016 and 2017.
  • Mark Hutchings has not been ruled out of West Perth's side for the 2022 Grand Final with his recent hamstring injury assessed as minor. The Falcons remain hopeful Hutchings could take his place in the side for the Grand Final on Saturday, 1 October.

• Perth has signed Peter German as coach for the next three seasons. German previously coached Subiaco to two premierships in the 2000's and spent time as an assistant coach in the AFL, including stints with West Coast Eagles and Fremantle. German replaces Garry Moss as coach after he was sacked with two rounds remaining last month.
  • East Perth will become the eighth club to have a WAFLW League side after the Royals were admitted to the League competition for 2023.
  • With East Perth admitted to the WAFLW League competition for 2023, the WAFLW Reserves competition will be put on hiatus for the next two seasons and will be reviewed after the completion of the 2024 season. The decision to suspend the WAFLW Reserves competition was reached by a majority of clubs in order to ensure a sustainable competition and pathway to the state level. The WAFC remains open to bringing the competition back at a later date.
This concerns me a fair bit. The WAFC has wanted to get rid of the men's ressies in recent times too and this could be case of using the women's comp as a guinea pig to that plan.

Was there anyone inducted to the WA Football Hall of Fame last night apart from Jeff Farmer & the elevation of John Gerovich to Legend (both thoroughly deserving by the way!!)? Can't see any news of it, and the WA Football Hall of Fame Official Website site hasn't been updated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was there anyone inducted to the WA Football Hall of Fame last night apart from Jeff Farmer & the elevation of John Gerovich to Legend (both thoroughly deserving by the way!!)? Can't see any news of it, and the WA Football Hall of Fame Official Website site hasn't been updated.

Wowodin got inducted

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Claremont and Richmond legend Michael Mitchell; former East Fremantle, Melbourne and Collingwood player and Brownlow Medallist, Shane Woewodin; South Fremantle, Melbourne and Fremantle star Jeffery Farmer; and East Perth and Port Adelaide star Stephen Curtis were all inducted into the Hall of Fame.

The WA Football Hall of Fame also elevated to Legend status, South Fremantle champion John Gerovich, an honour truly deserving.

Swan Districts midfielder Max Chipper claimed the Prendergast Medal for the WAFL Reserves Fairest and Best player, while West Perth’s skipper Kane Bevan was crowned Jack Clarke Medallist as the Colts Fairest and Best.

Ryan Lasscock was awarded the JJ Leonard Medal as Coach of the Year, after leading the West Perth Colts to their first Grand Final appearance in 20 years.

Cam Jones was named the Best WAFL Field Umpire in season 2022, winning the Montgomery Medal.

2022 WA FOOTBALL AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE

Prendergast Medal - WAFL Reserves Fairest & Best
Max Chipper (Swan Districts)

Jack Clarke Medal
– Colts Fairest & Best
Kane Bevan (West Perth)

Bernie Naylor Medal – WAFL Leading Goalkicker
Ben Sokol (Subiaco)

JJ Leonard Medal - Coach of the Year (selected from AFL/WAFL/WAFLW Clubs)
Ryan Lasscock (Colts Coach, West Perth)

Montgomery Medal – Best WAFL Field Umpire
Cam Jones

Rodriguez Shield – Champion Club (most H&A games won in all 3 grades – League, Reserves & Colts)
West Perth Football Club

Rio Tinto Volunteer of the Year - Janine Gaskell

WAFL Life Members

Darren Harris (West Perth)
Arthur Ransted (Perth)

WAFC Life Member

Neil Randall

WA Football Hall of Fame

Stephen Curtis
Jeff Farmer
Michael Mitchell
Shane Woewodin

WA Football Hall of Fame – Legend

John Gerovich

Cl started early on the recruiting front as well.....Ex SS Maibaum and ex Hawk Miles suiting up for the Tiges in 23....plus SF have snared ex Adelaide boy Galluci, plus resigned a couple of key players....EF have added Strnadica, Dixon, Joyce and Browne on to their playing list....probably just an admin process, but hopefully all 4 will be wearing the blue n white in 23.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back