Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

What regular thing (not an annual or bi-annual special event) beyond football is so "interesting" in Melbourne by comparison?

Adelaide did a far better job of the Grand Prix but its an international event & the OP s view of the World may not go that far.

Does anyone know what parking restrictions there are in North Adelaide during the Test match? I know they introduced a 2-hour "event day" limit for the football but I remember hearing something about it being scrapped. Prior to redevelopment I used to park around Wellington Square on weekend cricket days and it was free and untimed. Cheers.

Does anyone know what parking restrictions there are in North Adelaide during the Test match? I know they introduced a 2-hour "event day" limit for the football but I remember hearing something about it being scrapped. Prior to redevelopment I used to park around Wellington Square on weekend cricket days and it was free and untimed. Cheers.
Now that AO is a stadium, things like parking are controlled for stadium event days, not specific sports etc.
So footy, cricket, soccer...it doesn't matter. Major event = event day parking.

Now that AO is a stadium, things like parking are controlled for stadium event days, not specific sports etc.
So footy, cricket, soccer...it doesn't matter. Major event = event day parking.

According to the signs around North Adelaide the next event that will have the 'event' parking restrictions is the Strikers v Stars match next Thursday.

During weekdays you have the normal parking restrictions around North Adelaide anyway.

According to the signs around North Adelaide the next event that will have the 'event' parking restrictions is the Strikers v Stars match next Thursday.

During weekdays you have the normal parking restrictions around North Adelaide anyway.
Interesting. I have a work carpark in the CBD but people around me yesterday said they couldn't park where they could last year because of the new event parking around the stadium.
Perhaps with re-scheduling and resultant expected crowds they're not worrying. If they were expecting 40K+ each day could have been a different story.

I was asking mostly in regards to Saturday, assuming the Test is still going then. I'll check it out this afternoon as I'm only going to be there for a couple of hours anyway.
Cheers for the response, hitthepost too.

http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/assets/documents/MAP-event-parking-permit-feb-2014.pdf

Inside the orange zone is restricted 2 hour event parking, outside the orange zone usual restrictions apply.

Anyone know what they are building in the South / Western pocket at the moment?

There is a rumour there will be an announcement during the World Tennis Challenge of a Memorial Drive Upgrade which if it goes ahead will improve the surroundings.

There is a rumour there will be an announcement during the World Tennis Challenge of a Memorial Drive Upgrade which if it goes ahead will improve the surroundings.
For some reason they're STILL finishing off around the indoor centre. I'd expect a grass area out the front. Possibly a statue.

Speaking of which, one due to be unveiled today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

24,836 on day 5 beat previous record of Bodyline 1933.
113,009 over 5 days beat previous non-Ashes record vs West Indies in 1961.
27,639 on day 4 beat previous non-Ashes record vs West Indies in 1961.
Day 4 also the 130th anniversary of the first ever Test at Adelaide Oval (this Test was due to start on the 130th anniversary).
Day 1 25,619 beat previous Aus v Ind day 1 record.

It just looked so empty. :D

I guess that's part of the beauty of the new oval, can still get a mid 20s crowd, that basically huddle into the shady spots. Mid 20s at the old oval leaves a lot of sunburnt looking into the sun patrons. Some big BB and World Cup games to come under lights...will look awesome 40k+ warm evening.

It just looked so empty. :D

I guess that's part of the beauty of the new oval, can still get a mid 20s crowd, that basically huddle into the shady spots. Mid 20s at the old oval leaves a lot of sunburnt looking into the sun patrons. Some big BB and World Cup games to come under lights...will look awesome 40k+ warm evening.
Yeah. With it so hot a few of the days that kept the crowds behind the level 1 seats out of the sun.
India v Pakistan is sold out, so that should get a bum on every seat.
BBL games will start off with big crowds I'd expect, then depend on performance.

It's going to be a grassed area in front of the indoor cricket center.
It's inside the Oval boundaries and has nothing to do with the tennis center or rumored upgrades of it.

I'm hoping that we can get around 30,000 tomorrow night for the opening Big Bash game - Strikers v Stars. Its school holidays, great weather 24 C, a lot of people are still working this week, but this shouldn't effect it too much.

We should definitely get close to 40000 for the NYE game.

I'm really hoping that got changed because otherwise I'm looking a bit silly!
Pretty sure it was up there - perhaps for NYE they'll open it up. When they first released the tickets I know it was GA unreserved up there.

You're right in that it's listed as open, however it's definitely closed tonight (Strikers confirmed this on Facebook last night). I guess if the crowd numbers are bigger than expected then they can open up the stand, but the cynic in means sees this as a grab for cash from the Strikers as it will try and force people to purchase the dearer reserved seating.

You're right in that it's listed as open, however it's definitely closed tonight (Strikers confirmed this on Facebook last night). I guess if the crowd numbers are bigger than expected then they can open up the stand, but the cynic in means sees this as a grab for cash from the Strikers as it will try and force people to purchase the dearer reserved seating.
It'd be 50/50 "sell expensive tickets" and "keep the crowd together", I'd say.
Part of me wonders whether it would be better to open level 5 of the eastern and not the southern, but looking at the number up the top tonight, they'd probably be tight for room.

Also on the Strikers games, they told me on a FB photo comment that it's a CA decision not to use the digital advertising along the eastern fence. Dare say Strikers would have liked to have had use of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back