Changes for Boxing Day - In: J.Burns Out: M.Marsh

Remove this Banner Ad

How many blokes can you have in the team for their leadership qualities though when they're not performing? Might not Smith be better off getting a clear run at the captaincy anyway without all these other people giving him advice?

The best thing for Smith's captaincy would be to pick the best players who will actually help the team win instead of leaving him with two black holes like Watson and Haddin who are currently detrimental to the team and only there for their "leadership". The strongest leadership move Watson and Haddin could make would be to step aside and let other players who actually deserve it take their spots.

Smith wasn't even in the side last year, why would you think he doesn't need advice?

I won't debate the fact that Watson and Haddin are batting poorly. Watson was solid with the ball as fourth seamer and Haddin has been good with the gloves, but I understand it isn't enough.

The problem is that we know Haddin is patchy, but when he goes he goes well. He saved us last Ashes and was possibly more responsible than anyone for the whitewash.

Watson I would like to see go, but who is good enough to replace him? Right now, it's just shuffling deckchairs.

And yet they had enough faith in him to give him the captaincy. Advice is a 'nice to have' not a must. I think it's good to have experienced players in the team but they have to be performing.

Edit: I'm not that fussed really as I didn't expect Watson or Haddin to be dropped. Burns for M Marsh seems reasonable. Happy they have persisted with S Marsh. Didn't want to see wholesale changes anyway. Since Haddin and Watson are still there I sincerely hope they pile on the runs this test :thumbsu:

And hold on - since when is 46 over a 5 test series amazing.

Are we so poisened by average cricket these days with the Australian Test team that we are considering an average below 50 in a series to be good.

What's Smith's Average this series? A hundred or so?

We have players averaging over 50 through their entire career, and we used to have an entire top 5 that would average 50+

If a players BEST series is averaging 46 then woe for their down series.

The golden era is well and truly over mate.

Rogers isn't competing with the former greats for a spot he is up against a bunch of ordinary cricketers from the present.

If we had players who could average 50+ then yes rogers watto marsh ect would be out of the side in a heartbeat but this isn't 10-15 years ago.

Johnson's a bowler and Rogers has only been in the side for a couple of years. Watson and Haddin are important in Clarke's absence because they were there when we were good, and they were there when we were bad. They understand what drives this team.

Have you seen how a proffesional cricket team works these days? Data and advice from the coaches are being relayed every time those drinks come out. Bowling coaching are on the sidelines giving bowlers help all game.

Wholesale changes is not the way forward at the moment.

Things are poor in the top seven. But they are not in such a dire state that making 4 or 5 changes is required.

Ironically a couple of injuries might not be the worst thing to happen as it forces us to see a few of the potentials. If Burns performs then it will lead to one of Watson or Marsh getting the ass. If Clarke comes back then both of them will.

Haddin - under huge pressure. But while the team is winning he won't get dropped. At this point I would say after the Ashes he'll either get the boot or he'll retire, or a combination of the two.

How does Haddin keep his spot?

Sick of him and Watson.

IMO what they should have done.

IN: Burns,Abbot/Faulkner, Wade

Out: Watson, Haddin, Marsh

Cowan isn't picked because he's an opener. He played one test as a non opener and did terribly. He's just unlucky atm Rogers and Warner are better than him. I'm sure if Warner doesn't get up for this game he'll be getting a phone call from the selectors.

Sick of him and Watson.

Lol just because Abbott bowled the ball that ended a cricketer's life and we want to all support him doesn't mean he should be anywhere near selection.

He's bowling well but not anywhere near selection as a bowler only, let alone as a top 6/7 bowling allrounder.

Sick of him and Watson.

Abbott and Faulkner aren't worthy number sevens at test level imo. We may see them at eight (maybe nine in Abbotts case) later in their careers but not number seven at this point. Reality is with Marsh injured, Henriques being playing again for roughly a week and a keeper that isn't performing with the bat Watson is still the best option we've got at this point in time if we want to play an all rounder at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good Lord. How many games has Johnson played, Rogers has been around for 100 years, all these guys have lived cricket for most of their lives. If they can't get through a test without advice from those guys then **** me.
Johnson has actually played the most Tests of anyone in the current team.

Lol just because Abbott bowled the ball that ended a cricketer's life and we want to all support him doesn't mean he should be anywhere near selection.

He's bowling well but not anywhere near selection as a bowler only, let alone as a top 6/7 bowling allrounder.

I would rather Abbott then Watson.

Watson is all about himself. Eg going out 3 balls before tea trying to hook someone for six.

Let's be honest. Apart from the game just went Watson's bowling has been woeful. And batting has been horrible for a man of his talent. Maybe he needs a wake up call.

The golden era is well and truly over mate.

Rogers isn't competing with the former greats for a spot he is up against a bunch of ordinary cricketers from the present.

If we had players who could average 50+ then yes rogers watto marsh ect would be out of the side in a heartbeat but this isn't 10-15 years ago.

Just think that if Langer was in this team he would be the no1 batsman. In the golden era he was no5 picked.

Did a hammy or something, but yeah Watson in before Haddin has to be the case. I'd even promote Steve Smith to no.3. Something is wrong with those Marsh boys, one of them sure can't bat for s**t.

With any luck he'll retire after this series. He's pulling a Ponting here...

No doubt.

Surely there's a better opening batsman than Rogers? He's s**t as, looks like a scared little kid out there every time he bats. He has no confidence and it's pretty bloody obvious he doesn't and I think that it translates to a complete lack of confidence nationwide. I could be wrong though.

Say that again?

Watson is all about himself. Eg going out 3 balls before tea trying to hook someone for six.

Let's be honest. Apart from the game just went Watson's bowling has been woeful. And batting has been horrible for a man of his talent. Maybe he needs a wake up call.

Abbott has a first class batting average of 14. There are about 50 guys I'd select ahead of him to replace Watson

Too be completely honest I didn't actually know he his a half century in the second innings - I was at work and missed the early innings.

But still two half centuries against India - India!! I mean Ishant Sharma is their best bowler. I could score a 50 against Ishant.

Maybe you should have watched the chase, was a tricky chase in tough conditions and rogers was the only one to look that comfortable.

The last successful 4th innings chase for us was a year ago at the G and that was another tricky chase this time in a low scoring game and again rogers was the most comfortable out there.

If we bowl well in england we are likely going to have some of those tricky 120-220 chases to win matches so an opener that seems to lift for those is a good asset as far as i can see.

Awesome to see Burns get a gig. If he does well it would be an amazing boost to the side. Really excited to see how he performs. No pressure but.

Abbott makes Watson look like the second coming of the Don...

EDIT: 7,000th post!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back