Looking to play next year with no previous experience

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey everyone.

Just thought I'd share my current situation. I'm 21 years old and have never played footy in my life apart from once when I was 14 years old. I was largely overweight for my whole life (and still am slightly overweight) but have recently lost a few kilos and worked on my overall figure and would like to think I am a few kilos off where I need to be.

I am 6'4 and currently 103 kilos. At my heaviest I was 118.

Today I attended my first training session and I was overwhelmed at the amount of running that was involved and the physicality despite doing light physical work. I made it through the session in one piece and am looking forward to the imminent pain and soreness I'm going to feel tomorrow. It was hard keeping up with the pace of the session but I feel like I did well considering it is my first footy training session in just under 10 years. I trained with a pretty good club in a high division, reason being I know a lot of the boys there. My kicking was pretty shocking (probably only hit half my targets) but it felt really good to get out there and try something new.

Dude the running kills you when you are unfit. I'm 25, haven't played since I was 17. Trained a couple times before Christmas and whilst I absolutely loved it, I was also pretty wrecked as I'd forgotten how hard the running is (And it wasn't even training focused on running :l ). 6'1 and currently 97kg so still about 10kg overweight, but have lost 35kg over the past year so slowly getting there.

I might put some updates in here as well if people are interested, we go back on the 19th but I only train one night a week as cricket tues/thurs and work monday nights.

Dude the running kills you when you are unfit. I'm 25, haven't played since I was 17. Trained a couple times before Christmas and whilst I absolutely loved it, I was also pretty wrecked as I'd forgotten how hard the running is (And it wasn't even training focused on running :l ). 6'1 and currently 97kg so still about 10kg overweight, but have lost 35kg over the past year so slowly getting there.

I might put some updates in here as well if people are interested, we go back on the 19th but I only train one night a week as cricket tues/thurs and work monday nights.
Top stuff on the weight loss mate, build up with the running though wouldn't want shin splints etc getting back to it.

Good luck for the season

Just signed up, having only played cricket before. Any tips that will help me pick up the speed? Thanks.

Just signed up, having only played cricket before. Any tips that will help me pick up the speed? Thanks.

Like any sport, you want to be practicing your skills a lot. No idea what level you're at with those but I'd imagine they're just basic considering you haven't played before, so try to be handling a football as much as possible. You can go for a kick by yourself or with others and get used to the ball, the way it moves in the air and bounces etc. That and fitness are the two biggest things you'll want to target early, you don't need to be quick if you're fit because your repeat efforts is what is important in footy.

Reading the game is the other most important skill, but you only get that through games and match simulation at training. Probably the best way to improve that outside of those two mediums is watch the really smart players closely, and try to figure out why they make the decisions they do.

Have really enjoyed reading through this thread. Is there anyone posting/reading in here over 30? I'm coming to this really late.

2015 has been my first real crack at competitive footy.

I'm 23, and have played a bit during school and uni but not for a proper club. Always loved going for a kick with mates though and footy has been a big part of my family (Dad played, Grandfather played for South). So I thought this year I'll join a club and take it seriously.

Basically my skills have been fine leading up to our first practice match this weekend. But it's the game nous and experience that I'm lacking. Still yet to develop that chemistry with my teammates which affects my confidence on the field. Knowing where to run and when to go is what I'm trying to improve on the most.

In terms of positions I thought I'd go alright in a forward pocket or forward flank (wanted to kick goals as any kid does) but have felt at home at half back during the match simulation stuff.

Reading this thread gives me confidence and reinforces that if you put in the hard work, footy can be some of the best times of your life.

hey guys, another case here; i'm 21 and haven't played since under 14s (similar to AFDogs in a way haha). i'm in reasonable shape and fitness having just finished a season of cricket, not the biggest person going around though (about 183cm and 74kg). really want to play next year, i figure this season's a writeoff; i always seem to get interesting in playing around this time every year but never do anything about it the next year haha. might buy a sherrin to have a kick with to work on skills as well

the thing is, while i feel reasonably fit i'm not sure how i'd go running out a match, not to mention i'd probably lose a bit of that fitness seeing as i won't be doing anything until cricket starts around october (i'm largely inactive and lazy during the offseason). what's my best course of action here; running exercises at the park combined with skills work? i don't go to a gym, should i look at joining one? anything people can recommend? thanks!

hey guys, another case here; i'm 21 and haven't played since under 14s (similar to AFDogs in a way haha). i'm in reasonable shape and fitness having just finished a season of cricket, not the biggest person going around though (about 183cm and 74kg). really want to play next year, i figure this season's a writeoff; i always seem to get interesting in playing around this time every year but never do anything about it the next year haha. might buy a sherrin to have a kick with to work on skills as well

the thing is, while i feel reasonably fit i'm not sure how i'd go running out a match, not to mention i'd probably lose a bit of that fitness seeing as i won't be doing anything until cricket starts around october (i'm largely inactive and lazy during the offseason). what's my best course of action here; running exercises at the park combined with skills work? i don't go to a gym, should i look at joining one? anything people can recommend? thanks!
You can do as much running as you like, but until you get a few games under your belt at the start of next season, you won't be fully prepared. However, as long as you're reasonably fit this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Would you say you're skinny? I can't really picture 183cm/74kg.

I'd say buy a footy, kick it around a bit this season, just make sure everything feels fluent, and then next preseason you can start getting it down pat.

You can do as much running as you like, but until you get a few games under your belt at the start of next season, you won't be fully prepared. However, as long as you're reasonably fit this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Would you say you're skinny? I can't really picture 183cm/74kg.

I'd say buy a footy, kick it around a bit this season, just make sure everything feels fluent, and then next preseason you can start getting it down pat.
yeah i don't doubt that, i want to focus on getting a decent enough base fitness wise so i don't feel too out of depth come preseason haha. haven't properly kicked a footy in a few years since finishing year 12 (played pretty often at school) but yeah, having not played properly for about 7 years it'll take a while to get used to it.

yeah pretty skinny, not ribs sticking out skinny but nonetheless skinny haha. pretty broad shouldered though

i'll give that a crack, thanks mate. i'm just sick of saying this to myself every year because i adore the sport but i never do anything about it hahaha.

I started this year after not playing for 10+ years. Was in reasonable shape for your average person, do a little bit of weight lifting for exercise but not a lot of cardio. The first 2 weeks of training killed me, i struggled big time. My advice would be to do plenty of running in the lead up before you start. 3 months before pre season i would start trying to get in three 45min - 1hr running sessions a week just to build a base fitness so you are not out of your depth. If you can throw in a couple of weight lifting days a week in that time too to put a bi of muscle on then even better, but the running is the main thing.

Hi all i'm person that is looking to use this year to prepare for a football next year. i am turning 21 september 194cm and around 91kgs, this is probably the most fit i've been in my life recently as i go swimming two to three days a week although i still am a bit over and have got a pot belly. I've been practising skills such as kicking and have worked out a good technique and with that my confidence has started to grow from thinking i could never play to possibly i could.

I understand that i probably have a lot of work to do to loose weight and bulk up, hopefully some people in this forum can point me in the right direction. I will say i did try out for footy once when i was way overweight (112kgs) and i was not mentally prepared for it and definitely not physically prepared at all. People i've had kick to kicks with and during my time at school people have often said i should play because they reckon i have raw talent for someone who hasn't played (although i don't agree with them). I have planned times before to get ready for footy, and one of my dreams one day is to at least play in a footy game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all i'm person that is looking to use this year to prepare for a football next year. i am turning 21 september 194cm and around 91kgs, this is probably the most fit i've been in my life recently as i go swimming two to three days a week although i still am a bit over and have got a pot belly. I've been practising skills such as kicking and have worked out a good technique and with that my confidence has started to grow from thinking i could never play to possibly i could.

I understand that i probably have a lot of work to do to loose weight and bulk up, hopefully some people in this forum can point me in the right direction. I will say i did try out for footy once when i was way overweight (112kgs) and i was not mentally prepared for it and definitely not physically prepared at all. People i've had kick to kicks with and during my time at school people have often said i should play because they reckon i have raw talent for someone who hasn't played (although i don't agree with them). I have planned times before to get ready for footy, and one of my dreams one day is to at least play in a footy game

I'm in the same boat as you.

Do as much running as you physically can. Footy is all about bursts of fitness so working on sprinting would be ideal. Hit the gym and start using weights. Work out different body parts 3-4-5 times a week (however much you can go). Focus on exercises that work on your legs, core and upper body. Deadlifts, squats, bench press etc.

Keep doing kick-to-kicks as much as you can too. My kicking has improved dramatically from it, and although it still needs work it is much better than what it used to be.

How did you go?

Lost by I think about 5 points in the reserves, and our seniors lost by a similar less than a goal margin :( . Played about 50% of the game, in the ruck for that period swapping with another guy. Had about 14-15 possessions so was happy considering I was on the ground for about half the game, just need to keep getting fitter!

Figured id do a little update.
So i'm fitter now, although my running is still terrible, but i have a better endurance base now i do it more and exercise often. I'll be honest i've never felt so free and full of energy now that i've dropped a tone of weight and am feeling slim and able to move, not so bulky. Pervious post i mentioned kicking, i said i was alright, little did i know then i'd figure out how to get better. kicking has comes in leaps and bounds, accuracy is better from short kicks and i can send the ball way further now. Hand balling a skill i've not practised yet, feel it will bite me on the bum.

Anyways i've finally gained confidence in my body, i trust it and not ashamed of it like years in the past. I feel ready so i've signed up for a club from the next town over which trains in my town (i didn't pick the team from my town because i had bad relations with some people on that team). I'll be having a go at training tomorrow to see how i go. I once attempted training before when i was fat and lazy, i remember it killing me. but the thing i remember most was feeling out of place as a quiet individual. So tips for meeting possible future team mates or trying to fit in would be great, or am i just over thinking it?

Anyway i'm ready to go! had a kick to kick with a friend, i was pretty aggressive for kick to kick, used a bit of speed, was snapping and picking the footy up on the run. it clicked in my head that i was now ready to take the next step. i'm both excited and nervous for tomorrow evening

Figured id do a little update.
So i'm fitter now, although my running is still terrible, but i have a better endurance base now i do it more and exercise often. I'll be honest i've never felt so free and full of energy now that i've dropped a tone of weight and am feeling slim and able to move, not so bulky. Pervious post i mentioned kicking, i said i was alright, little did i know then i'd figure out how to get better. kicking has comes in leaps and bounds, accuracy is better from short kicks and i can send the ball way further now. Hand balling a skill i've not practised yet, feel it will bite me on the bum.

Anyways i've finally gained confidence in my body, i trust it and not ashamed of it like years in the past. I feel ready so i've signed up for a club from the next town over which trains in my town (i didn't pick the team from my town because i had bad relations with some people on that team). I'll be having a go at training tomorrow to see how i go. I once attempted training before when i was fat and lazy, i remember it killing me. but the thing i remember most was feeling out of place as a quiet individual. So tips for meeting possible future team mates or trying to fit in would be great, or am i just over thinking it?

Anyway i'm ready to go! had a kick to kick with a friend, i was pretty aggressive for kick to kick, used a bit of speed, was snapping and picking the footy up on the run. it clicked in my head that i was now ready to take the next step. i'm both excited and nervous for tomorrow evening
Which league mate?

Don't stress about meeting mates or fitting in, it'll come. Just be yourself and you'll be fine. Despite what a lot of people think footy clubs are very welcoming

Which league mate?

Don't stress about meeting mates or fitting in, it'll come. Just be yourself and you'll be fine. Despite what a lot of people think footy clubs are very welcoming
Ovens and King is the league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back