Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what would those performance key indicator based contract thingies be that would make you happy with a 2 year extension? Would one of the key indicator thingies have anything to do with something objective like "wins" or "wins against top 4 sides"? Or would you be happy if the performance key indicator based thingies were the MM vibe that "we have crossed the Rubicon" (again) or, now it is February "we are optimistic" or "the list looks so much better going forward now than it did under Ratts" (shame about the lack of wins)?

Why should we offer a 2 year extension before we have had the pleasure of experiencing the 3rd year of the current contract? Or are you uncritically delighted with our performances over the first 2 years of MM's tenure?

And how do you measure statements like this "The playing list camaraderie and chemistry seems as strong and vibrant as it has been years at Carlton" so that they make any sense, other than as an admissions you are an uncritical (i.e. one-eyed) supporter?

Well your opinion to the capability of Carlton's playing list certainly differs to mine.

I don't necessarily agree that a coach should be judged simply on a win-loss ratio (you can't tell me that Paul Roos hasn't had a positive impact on Melbourne already, despite minimal growth in the w column thus far)

We had to take a couple of backwards steps from the Ratten era (and Mick has jettisoned most of those unreliable types who cost a good man like Ratts his job)

I should point out that it was CEO Trigg who made those positive comments about the positive team chemistry of the playing list.

You are right in that the media shouldn't dictate any of our off-field decisions like re-appointing Mick, but certainly it would become a massive distraction for the players (the uncertainty if Mick's coaching next year) the longer it remains unresolved.

It should be said a 2 year performance based contract would make it much easier to sack Mick if things go belly up (unlike that silly white elephant deal we gave Pagan after winning the Wizard

I believe from what the club is telling me, that Mick is likely to be signed up again shortly (before round 1)

Might be a tad premature I admit, but then, hypothetically, if Mick isn't signed up, and we start the season 1-3, then the media are going to come down on the club and Mick like a ton of bricks .. I'd prefer it if we didn't give them the satisfaction.

I do admit, I'm probably not the not most objective person when talking about Mick, but I also think you haven't really given him a fair hearing either. But i suppose that's the beauty of forums, everyone is entitled to their opinions :)

The playing list camaraderie and chemistry seems as strong and vibrant as it has been years at Carlton, which is a big tick for Mick.
Also, I doubt Judd would've played on for another season if he didn't think that team was heading in the right direction or didn't believe in MM's coaching capabilities.

I sincerely hope Mark Stevens is at every Carlton post match presser this year, just so Mick can give him that icy treatment. :)

He might be a grouch at times, but seeing Stevens made to look like a goose-cum-rabbit caught in headlights every week is well and truly worth the price of admission.

I sincerely hope Mark Stevens is at every Carlton post match presser this year, just so Mick can give him that icy treatment. :)

He might be a grouch at times, but seeing Stevens made to look like a goose-cum-rabbit caught in headlights every week is well and truly worth the price of admission.
Are you SURE you go for essendon? You seem so reasonable.

Are you SURE you go for essendon? You seem so reasonable.
I very much do MEB, we can be reasonable occasionally.

I just think Mark Stevens is a goose. If he's going to be humiliated, what better than a bout of grouch from Mick.

#askMickDUMBquestions

Whats the pass mark for Mick?
Will making the 8 guarantee him a contract or will the team's below-par performances be justified by being in the 're-build stage' thus giving him another crack?
Losing Mick, will undo a lot of progress he's made in the last two years. I say give him at least another 2 or 3 years to complete the list that he's been building.

Will making the 8 guarantee him a contract or will the team's below-par performances be justified by being in the 're-build stage' thus giving him another crack?
Losing Mick, will undo a lot of progress he's made in the last two years. I say give him at least another 2 or 3 years to complete the list that he's been building.

I think it's hard to give a pass mark right now but there are a few things I would like to definitely see;

1. A major improvement in all areas of our game; possessions, disposal efficiency, tackling etc
2. Some solid, earned time for some kids in the seniors (partially in Micks control)
3. More consistent football for 4 quarters and no more 15 minute lapses conceding 6 goals
4. A clear, set, defined and functioning game plan that is bought into by everyone, not three-quarters of the team
5. A willingness to swing the axe when needed (admittedly this might be more feasible this year than the last 2)

This season we have;
-A lot less injuries in the pre-season (so far, knock on wood)
-A more forgiving fixture for 2015
-Arguably a better team (with more potential/less underdone players/more experience)

If we can't get more than the 7 wins we did last year than I will be disappointed. I really think if all goes right we can make the 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am loving what mick is bring to the club. However, game day may become an issue. I see nothing wrong with the club trying to adopt the David Parkin/Wayne Britton model of succession. Over what period could be negotiated.

There's no fev this time. So it may work.

Who Wayne Britton is in the scenario is up for debate...

Lingy, Hayes or kirk?

I am no pundit, just a regular hack with an idea/opinion

I am loving what mick is bring to the club. However, game day may become an issue. . I see nothing wrong with the club trying to adopt the David Parkin/Wayne Britton model of succession. . Over what period could be negotiated.

Lingy, Hayes or kirk?

:eek:

I am loving what mick is bring to the club. However, game day may become an issue. I see nothing wrong with the club trying to adopt the David Parkin/Wayne Britton model of succession. Over what period could be negotiated.

Lingy, Hayes or kirk?

Last time MM was involved in a succession plan it didnt end very well.

I get the feeling Mick's contract will extended very early on in the season (possibly before round 1)

Considering about 90% of football media pundits are not tipping us to make finals, there is no way the club are wallies enough to have a 'top eight or bust' stipulation for Mick to earn a new contract.

Surely 2015 is all about player development and the continuing blooding of kids
10 wins would be an excellent result.

Also Judd is talking about going around again in 2016, Mick has to be a massive factor in that.

I get the feeling Mick's contract will extended very early on in the season (possibly before round 1)...
Also Judd is talking about going around again in 2016, Mick has to be a massive factor in that.

Judd and Dangerfield in the same premiership team. You know it's right :D

I think a key aspect of a succession plan is having someone who actually wants to be succeeded!
Agree. The success of a succession plan depends a lot on the successor wanting to be succeeded by a successee, and the readiness of a successee to successfully step up.

Collingwood were probably unsuccessful on both counts.

Agree. The success of a succession plan depends a lot on the successor wanting to be succeeded by a successee, and the readiness of a successee to successfully step up.

Collingwood were probably unsuccessful on both counts.

Sydney lucked out in that Paul Roos was burnt out by then and left the swans at the right time.

Succession plans only work if the king wants to be dethroned.

Reckon many clubs will now look at Collingwood's folly. Buckley clearly is a buffoon out of his depth. Tony Shaw/Mark Neeld hybrid actually:)

I want to see Carlton playing a Carlton brand of football ( whatever that end up being) - which Malthouse and the players develop and execute with increasing success over the year. that will be my pas mark.

Malthouse has : Thomas/Yarran/Menzel/Judd/Murphy/Gibbs/Henderson and Kreuzer - all A graders to do something special at least once a quarter each.
Malthouse has also gone out on a limb to bring Boekhurst into the side along with Jacksh. I suspect these two along with Jones/Casboult/Buckley/Jamison/Rowe/Docherty/Cripps/Simpson/Everitt/Tutt will all be regular starting 22 players. Malthouse has a lot more fire power to draw on a lot more run and lot more skill base to develop a Carlton game - that makes the side far less predictable and difficult to match up on.

There are no excuses for not delivering hope this year - hope for the future based on performances on field.

It all starts round one against Richmond - who believe that they are a far superior list to ours. Smash them for starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back