Australian Open 2015 - Men's final

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone got a sour taste in their mouth after Djokovic's foxing last night? Was a great tournament kinda ruined by it I feel...
yeah, i never got into the final. Jokers foxing in the semi and final is getting annoying as it worked twice.

As well as that, both players defensive work was too good, which resulted in some really long rallies(and 28 odd seconds between points). it really wasnt a classic. it needed a verdasco forehand and an wawrinka backhand, from example from previous classics.

thought the women match was a better match.

yeah, i never got into the final. Jokers foxing in the semi and final is getting annoying as it worked twice.

As well as that, both players defensive work was too good, which resulted in some really long rallies(and 28 odd seconds between points). it really wasnt a classic. it needed a verdasco forehand and an wawrinka backhand, from example from previous classics.

thought the women match was a better match.

I think the slowness of the courts contributes to this too

Both Murray and Djokovic's actions on the night has turned me off them a bit....

I thought Murray had turned a corner in being an absolute campaigner on the court

Ch7 should lock him in 10 year commentator contract as soon as playing career. Love his insights into the game

Agree wholeheartedly, I've been pleasantly surprised listening to Lleyton on commentary the last few years.

Also think he is a great choice for Davis Cup Captain once he hangs up the racquet, I reckon he'll be a great mentor for the three young guys in the next 5 years.

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-2_9-21-43.png
    upload_2015-2-2_9-21-43.png
    57 KB · Views: 8
Anyone got a sour taste in their mouth after Djokovic's foxing last night? Was a great tournament kinda ruined by it I feel...
I was supporting him last night so I have a bias from that point of view, but I thought he was genuinely gone for a bit due to his body and mind just absorbing punishment and also the extreme exertion . It looked like the effort just made him feel very light headed for a bit and his legs locked up. Also most of the moments it occurred in were costly for him at that very point in time, so I think he was genuinely stuffed there for a bit.

I think not having that same base as previous years, coming off an illness, would have also knocked him around.

Even if it was a bit of gamesmanship elite level sport and winning championships, does have a degree of gamesmanship and ruthlessness required.

I don't understand why people consider this a successful tactic?
I feel like any sign of weakness would improve your opponent's play, not confuse him.
Having played tennis quite often I go through stages where I can't hit anything properly and feel exhausted only to recover later to be hitting everything to exactly where I want it.
Now I know my fitness base isn't comparable to somebody's like Djokovic, but I'm not surprised by the ebbing and flowing and how this affects a player both mentally and physically.

Yep, just tank the first game of a crucial set and be even further behind on the scoreboard. Lovely tactics. :rolleyes:

I was supporting him last night so I have a bias from that point of view, but I thought he was genuinely gone for a bit due to his body and mind just absorbing punishment and also the extreme exertion . It looked like the effort just made him feel very light headed for a bit and his legs locked up. Also most of the moments it occurred in were costly for him at that very point in time, so I think he was genuinely stuffed there for a bit.

I think not having that same base as previous years, coming off an illness, would have also knocked him around.

Even if it was a bit of gamesmanship elite level sport and winning championships, does have a degree of gamesmanship and ruthlessness required.
Agree. I had no idea what he was doing on court last night, until he until he explained himself in the interview with Courier, Hewitt and Bruce. Jelly legs. A feeling when your thighs constantly shake and basically just give up on you. Usually happens after strenuous exercise/workouts or anxiety. The only way to get rid of it is to shake it off and get some sugar in your body - hence why he was nibbling on some chocolate and ordering special drinks afterwards.

Then you get the British media trying to make it something that it's not by claiming it was an injury, when Novak himself said there was absolutely not legitimate reason to call the trainer onto the court...

the mens semi finals should be on the same day. channel 7 haven't earn t the right to ask for 2 night semi finals

One after another. Have the womens final, then the first mens semi. Then the 2nd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm very disappointed in the Australian media today. Solely focusing on the negative from last night match. There are so many good things to mention from the final however they keep mention the Murray meltdown and trying desperately to push heavily the djoker "fake injury" conspiracy.

The stupid protestors from last night are also getting air time today doing interviews on radio and getting mentioned lots.

Last night ads to the general negative vibe portrayed from the aussie media this tournament. Other articles portraying Tennis in a bad light this past two weeks include crowd issues Kokki/Gulbis match, Krygios attitude and the Sara Tomic weight accusations.

The past fortnight has had lots of great positive stories for Tennis- it would be great to hear about them instead of sensationalised negative click-bait stories all the time

I'm very disappointed in the Australian media today. Solely focusing on the negative from last night match. There are so many good things to mention from the final however they keep mention the Murray meltdown and trying desperately to push heavily the djoker "fake injury" conspiracy.

The stupid protestors from last night are also getting air time today doing interviews on radio and getting mentioned lots.

Last night ads to the general negative vibe portrayed from the aussie media this tournament. Other articles portraying Tennis in a bad light this past two weeks include crowd issues Kokki/Gulbis match, Krygios attitude and the Sara Tomic weight accusations.

The past fortnight has had lots of great positive stories for Tennis- it would be great to hear about them instead of sensationalised negative click-bait stories all the time

Why are these protesters even getting any air time? They don't deserve that attention, for protesting during an international event.

The first one was always going to be talked about, hoestly just felt Novak was crook this last few days. It would take a lot to play tennis whilst ill let alone win a GS.

Sara Tomic is the only negative story I agree with as she does look a bit on the heavier side this year BUT I'll say this I haven't seen her in 12 months so maybe that is just her.

Why are these protesters even getting any air time? They don't deserve that attention, for protesting during an international event.
Exactly, the less they are mentioned the better.
The first one was always going to be talked about, hoestly just felt Novak was crook this last few days. It would take a lot to play tennis whilst ill let alone win a GS.

Sara Tomic is the only negative story I agree with as she does look a bit on the heavier side this year BUT I'll say this I haven't seen her in 12 months so maybe that is just her.

Just feel it is harsh at her age. Maybe at say 20 if she is struggling then question her fitness/weight

Just feel it is harsh at her age. Maybe at say 20 if she is struggling then question her fitness/weight

I'm the other way, would rather stamp it out right now before she gets to 20 and these 'habits' are harder to break.

the mens semi finals should be on the same day. channel 7 haven't earn t the right to ask for 2 night semi finals

Why?

Its one day extra rest and they both get at least 2 days rest. it hasnt made any difference in the past. Nadal for example only had 2 days rest and both of those games were 5 sets in 09. he won. Novak in '12 was the one with less break. He won in 5 as well. And if u move a semi forward, some men would get stuck with a 1 day or 3 day break in their match up of the semi final.

and they pay enough money to have 2 semi on different nights. what do u want on Thursday or Friday night. You just want that to be an empty day on one of the most popular nights to go out. u gotta remember that night sessions are always the more popular sessions at the Aussie Open. it works well for both the Aus Open and Channel 7.

havent earnt the right? u make it sound like seven didnt show 2 channels of tennis for half a month, all the Aus lead up events, over 12 hours a day. live steams of all the courts, 30 years of coverage. U can slam seven for a lot of things but they show a lot of tennis in Jan and their coverage has improved massively from 5 years ago when they didnt even show the final live in Perth.

I think the US open are changing to 2 x mens friday day semis with the final on sunday day this year?

I think the US open are changing to 2 x mens friday day semis with the final on sunday day this year?

I have a feeling they do that every year...but could be wrong.

I know we've kicked the s**t out of channel 7 for their appalling commentary, and rightly so (I wish they'd all lose their vocal chords in a horrible accident, bar Hewitt) but the US Open commentators make the likes of Bruce and Fitzy look like Richie Benaud. And their fapping over Fed is on another planet.

The US Open Final has always been like that, as far as I know.

I remember waking up on a Sunday morning in 1998 and watching back to back Semis, Rafter first and then Philippoussis against Moya followed straight after. Both Rafter and Philippoussis played the following morning in the Final, but from memory I only got to see the first set cause I had to leave for school.

I also recall a couple of years ago both men's semis were on the Sunday morning. Gasquet v Nadal in one and I think Djoker and Wawrinka in the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back