Game Day St Kilda v Brisbane Round 1 NAB Cup 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

People knocking Bruce; he took plenty of solid contested marks which other blokes couldn't, he's quick and agile and his tackling and pressure is very good for a big bloke.

I hope he can become a versatile Spangher/Jason Blake type; can hold down a spot down back, hold a spot in the forward line and do some relief ruckwork and just show a lot of effort and work.

Just because I'm bored and dogs fans are fun to laugh at:

McCartin: 10 disp, 5 marks (0 contested, 2 inside 50), 1 tackle, 1 i50's, 1 goal 1 behind and 53 fantasy points from 75% game time in a team that had 35 inside 50's (7 less than their opponent).

Tom Boyd: 13 disp, 3 marks (1 contested, 0 inside 50), 4 tackles, 2 i50's, 1 goal, 1 goal assist, 2 hit outs, 2 clearances and 66 fantasy points from 93% game time in a team that had 62 inside 50's (35 more than their opponent).

7 million dollars well spent.

To be fair, we were incredibly poor given the side we put out there. Messing up the most simple things is enough to anger any side's supporters.
Maybe you're just not that good and supporters are overrating how good you actually think you are?

Either way it's NAB Challenge why would anyone give a crap about it or read into it.

Also you played the saints who since about 2009 have had plenty of close games and both teams have struggled to put each other away. Except for a couple of blowouts in that time.

Maybe you're just not that good and supporters are overrating how good you actually think you are?

Either way it's NAB Challenge why would anyone give a crap about it or read into it.

Also you played the saints who since about 2009 have had plenty of close games and both teams have struggled to put each other away. Except for a couple of blowouts in that time.
Too early to say anything like that. Can't speak for the others, but I expect an inconsistent season for us, so performances like today's will happen from time to time. Just sucks when it does happen because you know they're capable of so much more. I know it's only NAB Challenge, but that's no excuse for a good player like Dayne Zorko to miss from 2 metres out. Nor is it an excuse for a professional footballer like Daniel Merrett to have 7 clangers.

Saints forwards did very well with the delivery they got. Don't think you really had any chance of putting us way, really came down to how we controlled things. With that being said, Saints had a few crucial players out, bring them in and things would have been far different. Overall pretty impressed by the Saints (apart from the dodgy kicks from time to time). Enough experience and youth there to suggest they'll finish above Carlton, Dogs and Melbourne. Can't see it not happening.

I thought our endeavor was good and we seem like a fut unit being able to run games out. But our ball movement was atrocious.. its only the first practice match but overall as a whole team it was disgraceful at times.
The only reason we didnt get pumped by ten goals is because brisbane is a pretty s**t team too and they didnt make us pay on the scoreboard..
Having said that we have a really good amount of quality kids coming through.
Bruce needs to be given a break. He was really active i thought he played well.. As expected Roberton is back in a huge way. Our backline looks pretty good again. Lonie is a jet.
I have to say i dont think Ross is quite there yet.. He can win his own ball but doesnt dispose correctly but that will come in a season or 2. Reminds me of Steven in 2012 before it all came together for him in 13.
Dempster looks as solid as ever in defence.
Disposal under pressure and ball movement is really terrible. If we dont fix turning over the ball quickly were looking at another spoon this year.

Lots of good things, but like last season our team just did not combine. Playing more together will help, but we are so disjointed at times. Lots of work on the track. Fitness was pretty good.

Spoke to my sister who lives in Brisbane and she mentioned how horrible the conditions were up there. Hot and very humid. Can't have helped with the skills. No wonder there were so many errors.

And outside run is badly needed. Going to be a long season for sure, but that is to be expected. We will have our moments, but combining as a team and knowing your teammates will be the key long term.

Big ticks for McCartin and Lonie. At least we were having a crack. Plenty of endeavour. Another good draft this year please, and more depth required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But... but, white was cheating down the back... What about him! ;):p:D:rolleyes:

I feel sorry for our forwards, they don't stand a chance when every kick into the forward line is a bombed 50m in the air. Don't know why we don't value possession more. That was like watching a game from the 90's! Was only February though so won't get too carried away on anything good or bad.

Without seeing too much of the game, (I had it streaming on the laptop while having Sky Racing on the TV & the cricket through Fox Sports on the iPad Foxtel Go app) from what I saw of Eli, he going to be one of those blokes who gets 10-15 possessions of really high quality & goes at above 80% efficiency consistently... He doesn't get much of the ball at present, but when he does he's just about the best user of it in the team. He's not going to rack up huge numbers yet, but in time he will. Don't rush him, just let him average his 10-15 touches at 90% efficiency & worry about racking up the huge numbers later once he's developed a better footy body. In time it will all come together :thumbsu:

Hey Guys - what was the stream quality like last night? Was that provided by your club or the AFL?

Thanks.

My notes:

There must have been some humidity at the ground because the ball looked very slippery in patches. What other makeup can I put on the pig that was our disposal efficiency....nope that's it. Really struggled in that first half to get the ball out of defence. A lot of errant handballing or handballing to disadvantage. Missed Websters kickouts. I also notice that neither ruckman presents a strong marking option for the long ball to the wing, that we used to get from McEvoy. Tackling was good I thought. The ruck is a weakness. While there were moments when it looked good, on the whole our midfielders are going to start developing a defensive mindset at ball ups. Forward structure was hard to understand. Saad, Lonie and TC all in the same team is one too many in my opinion. On todays game I think Lonie is going to be a 300 game player for us...which would represent the best weight to game ratio in last years draft! His kicking looks elite and could be a real weapon on the flank. If I was on match committee, TC would probably be the one who should be most nervous about holding a spot. Lee is a non-entity in the ruck. Any energy he puts into those contests is just a waste. We should keep him forward of centre and let him use his extra run to attack. I can see how Bruce contributes 'structurally' to the forward line. But he plays like a backman in a forward line. I know, I know...he used to be a forward, TAC AA...yada yada...but he needs to switch his mindset and become a key position target. At the moment every time he marks he looks like he wants to pass off. Go back and take the set shot for goodness sake. Even if he is kicking four to five points a game he will really start to put pressure on how defenses setup. I think Weller was playing on Rockliff and did a reasonable job. Roberton needs to wrap his head around the new blocking rule, but played well generally. Newnes went past Armitage and Steven today IMO...hopefully both of those two bounce back from there. Geary was Saints best on ground for mind, just edging Newnes out, really good to have him back in the team. Templeton is a class act, makes really good decisions and backs his skills in, but his output is still lower than optimal. If we get the ball into Templeton's hands running forward 6 more times today we win the game. That simple. Acres was solid today so was Savage. Best of all, when the game was there to be won the boys showed fighting spirit and dominated. Some really positive signs.

A little bit of perspective from this time of the year it is a practice game in hot humid conditions in Queensland.
Happy the young players got another game and some of the kids showed something at this level.
All about getting games into players with no serious injuries .

Just relax and enjoy watching the kids guys and be patient ( with Coach too)

Pretty ordinary, but better than nothing. It was provided by the AFL but streamed through the club websites.

Thank you! How do you think it would look on a 65" ? Or better stick to laptop..

Hey Guys - what was the stream quality like last night? Was that provided by your club or the AFL?

Thanks.
Besides from being able to hear some bloke in the back ground yelling at some kids all the time.
Phil Collins music somehow coming over the top of the commentary .
And the sound dropping out more times than a broken hearing aid.
It wasnt all that bad vonn:thumbsu:

Besides from being able to hear some bloke in the back ground yelling at some kids all the time.
Phil Collins music somehow coming over the top of the commentary .
And the sound dropping out more times than a broken hearing aid.
It wasnt all that bad vonn:thumbsu:

The review this week at the club is going to be funny....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back