2016 Aussie Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't say lock with his age and ta's policy with that but I say he should be getting one.

Groth lost his final this morning after having match point in the 2nd tb

5 players in top 100 and 13(!) players in top 200 is a really solid result for Australia. That level of depth is almost comparable to the United States, and we haven't really been able to say that in a long long time.

Things are looking up. Will be interesting come Aust open time a lot of aussies pushing to get a gig on the main courts, will end up with some good aussies still on the outside courts

My tennis app is giving me updates on one Alexandra Nancarrow. Canberra-born, 21yo, top 400. Seems to have solid results in both singles and doubles although they are probably minor events.

Won doubles in a Spanish event in October, Switzerland in August, Finalnd in June.

Won singles and doubles in Serbia in July.

Must be promising.

My tennis app is giving me updates on one Alexandra Nancarrow. Canberra-born, 21yo, top 400. Seems to have solid results in both singles and doubles although they are probably minor events.

Won doubles in a Spanish event in October, Switzerland in August, Finalnd in June.

Won singles and doubles in Serbia in July.

Must be promising.

I wouldn't say promising. All she does is play 10K events so hard to judge.

Millman into another final. Will take on Kyle Edmund in Yokohama.

A win here for Millman and he heading to around the 150-odd mark. Racing to that top 100 mark. Plays Duckworth in the first round of Toyota as well.

Millman wins that final in straight. Did watch it, he is certainly as solid as he was before the injury but he certainly didn't win that match by blowing the player off the court, going to be very interesting to see how he goes during the summer. His athletism is certainly top notch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow
He looked like a decent singles player, what happened there.....
He looked ok at times in singles but he was always a better doubles player for mine - was pretty one-dimensional in singles play. He actually won the doubles event in the challenger with Matt Reid; beat Bolt and Whittington on the way to the final and Albot/Ebden in the final. Lost in singles qualifying to Whittington after taking out Grills and Peperzeel.

I don't have overly great hopes for him but it's something to keep an eye on. Not sure what happened to him to be honest.

A few big jumps up the rankings for the men and women. Jordan Thompson is in the semi's of Launceston and will be playing Burnie winner and #129 Chung, he's already gone up 36 places this week to 232 and could go into the top 200 if he ends up winning. Ben Mitchell who he beat in the quarters also had a good week going up 21 places to 212 and came off a semi final in Burnie so maybe he's primed for a big year.
Matthew Barton made a good return at Burnie after getting into the draw as a lucky loser making the semi finals. He was ranked as high as 201 in 2013 before he got a knee injury. 18 year old Harry Bourchier made the QF beating Moriya and Klein before losing to Chung in 3 , good week for him.

Gavrilova is on a good run of form, she won Burnie and is currently in the semi's of Launceston, up to 124 in the world.Alison Bai and Viktorija Rajicic also did well in Burnie going up 70 and 100 spots respectively. One to watch for the future potentially is the prodigious 14 year old Destanee Aiava who beat world 323 Jia-Jing Lu 6-1 6-1 in Launceston , then lost in the 2nd round 6-4 6-4 to world 229 Mrdeza.

Duckworth up to 107 in the world after making the Qfs of Kolkata, will be in the top 100 if he wins the event.

Made the semis, 2 wins to go, would be very surprised if he pulled it off

Duckworth ended up losing the final 7-6 6-1. Didn't play the doubles final so not sure if there is an injury there or not. Millman lost the final of Koyto 6-3 3-6 6-3. Good week for him. Rogowska is in the final of a 25K on the clay in Brazil. Good to see her finding some form.

Disappointing one of Millman or Duckworth couldn't win their challengers. Duckworth especially because Albot isn't anything special at all.

A lot of good results from the Aussies this year in challengers and futures.
JP Smith is at a career high ranking of 153 after making the QF of Le Gosier. Omar Jasika also made the QF of this event going up 66 places to 378. He's having a good year, taking it up to top 100 players including beating Bedene in the first round of Miami qualifying and also making the 3rd round of Australian Open qualifying. Jordan Thompson went up 36 places to 207 after winning the Melbourne futures event.
Alex Bolt doing well ranked 157 , after making the SF of the Mornington futures.
Priscilla Hon won her first title in Mornington after coming through qualifying , good work from the 16 year old ; that brings her up to 530 in the rankings.
Rogowska has slumped a bit down the rankings to 187, shame because she was 1 win away from top 100 a couple of times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back