AFL Canberra Season 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

You cant please some of the people some of the time, You don't try to please the country teams anytime. As I've said many times ACTAFL don't want regional teams in there comp .They do however want there Money .Why don't ACTAFL want our code to grow ???

Hang on..So AFL Canberra have given us the 'game day' experience that we've all been asking for?? No problem with that for mine. The fact that 6 clubs that don't have a higher level available get to have their 1s and 2s play same venue same day is a massive plus for local footy. Supporters have one destination, resources aren't stretched. It is ideal! Ainslie and Tuggers have the benefit of this in their higher grades so they can't complain. The regional teams haven't got a much different set up than before other than fewer opponents. Travel is part and parcel of playing remotely. I personally think this is the best thing that could have happened to AFL Canberra.
To say the regional setup is the same only fewer opponents is very naive. They will be travelling an extra hour almost every second week. But again you would know travel having to cross Canberra can take along time.
The league speaks of match day experience. I'm sure supporters turning up to ANU and say Harman in 4th grade will be on the edge of there seats watching that nail biter (sorry Harman). The unevenness of these competitions is ridiculous.
The last model was by far the best.

Why wouldn't they just fold Coota and Goulburn (or Yass) into Div 3, and have Yass (or Goulburn) and Cooma in Div 4, with Ainslie and Tuggeranong also in Div 4...

Anyone heard that the league "expects" ADFA and ANU will play off in the next few grand finals?

The only difference I can see from the previous set up they had proposed is that ANU and ADFA have swapped spots with Tuggerenong and Ainslie. That will lead to ANU and ADFA being strong in Div 4 and Ainslie and Tuggers being weak in Div 5. But I don't know what you can do about it. I don't know of many other leagues in Australia where Senior sides play against reserves sides as has been here in the past and will happen in Div 5.

I can only speak from a Canberra clubs point of view, but having senior and reserves teams playing different opponents at different ground on different days was killing clubs here. I think what AFL Canberra have done is a great thing for football in this town. I can understand how regional teams feel shafted by this, but I would say to them if you really feel like you are being shafted put the hard yards in and get yourself a reserves side and you will be bumped up into div 3 & 4. Reward for getting things right.
In this situation AFL Canberra have improved game day experience for 12 teams and left game day experiences the same for 6 teams, but upset them because they feel left out.
Looking at the alternative lets keep the 6 teams happy whilst we have the other 12 teams battling each week to hold things together.
I think its pretty obvious which is the right decision in terms of growing the game.
Well done AFL Canberra, I'm sure they haven't heard that too much lately, but I think they have done the right thing here.

Maybe if the 6 left out teams are so upset they should merge with another regional team so that they can create a reserves team, and then take it in turns for their home ground. ie Goulburn merge with Yass create a seniors and reserves (maybe goluburn :Div 3" is the senior team, yass the reserves team "div 4") and when it comes to home games Goulburn has the first home game and then Yass get the second home game and so on. Maybe that's a plan to think about for next year. That way everyone is happy. Haha

The only difference I can see from the previous set up they had proposed is that ANU and ADFA have swapped spots with Tuggerenong and Ainslie. That will lead to ANU and ADFA being strong in Div 4 and Ainslie and Tuggers being weak in Div 5. But I don't know what you can do about it. I don't know of many other leagues in Australia where Senior sides play against reserves sides as has been here in the past and will happen in Div 5.

Can't see Tuggeranong's third side wanting much to do with this comp at all... Does anyone know why they've decided this restructure was necessary so close to the season?

I can only speak from a Canberra clubs point of view, but having senior and reserves teams playing different opponents at different ground on different days was killing clubs here. I think what AFL Canberra have done is a great thing for football in this town. I can understand how regional teams feel shafted by this, but I would say to them if you really feel like you are being shafted put the hard yards in and get yourself a reserves side and you will be bumped up into div 3 & 4. Reward for getting things right.
In this situation AFL Canberra have improved game day experience for 12 teams and left game day experiences the same for 6 teams, but upset them because they feel left out.
Looking at the alternative lets keep the 6 teams happy whilst we have the other 12 teams battling each week to hold things together.
I think its pretty obvious which is the right decision in terms of growing the game.
Well done AFL Canberra, I'm sure they haven't heard that too much lately, but I think they have done the right thing here.

Maybe if the 6 left out teams are so upset they should merge with another regional team so that they can create a reserves team, and then take it in turns for their home ground. ie Goulburn merge with Yass create a seniors and reserves (maybe goluburn :Div 3" is the senior team, yass the reserves team "div 4") and when it comes to home games Goulburn has the first home game and then Yass get the second home game and so on. Maybe that's a plan to think about for next year. That way everyone is happy. Haha

AFL Canberra are presumably paying you, are they not?

AFL Canberra are presumably paying you, are they not?
Haha, you are a foolish man. I see you criticising almost everything that happens in this comp, but never see you coming up with alternatives. Why don't you share with us all what you believe would should happen. Being so wise and all, surely you have the answer to make everyone happy and to save football in this town. Or are you just old and bitter and want to complain about everything you can?

Haha, you are a foolish man. I see you criticising almost everything that happens in this comp, but never see you coming up with alternatives. Why don't you share with us all what you believe would should happen. Being so wise and all, surely you have the answer to make everyone happy and to save football in this town. Or are you just old and bitter and want to complain about everything you can?

I suggested just above that division 5 should be removed completely, and the teams integrated back into division 3 and 4.

I don't dislike the move towards two team clubs playing on the same day, only it's going to result in 2 years of more or less predetermined results in lower grade football, until NEAFL contracts are up, and Ainslie/Eastlake can filter down.

All AFL Canberra are doing at the moment is losing a bunch of players who aren't interested in getting flogged each week. Not sure why they just couldn't wait a couple of years to start tinkering with the lower grades, rather than risk losing participants. At the moment, it appears as though they have bowed to the requests of one two team club who demanded to know why their teams weren't playing same place, same day.

I'm at a loss as to why you even care, given you have zero involvement in the lower grades of Canberra football now, unless of course, they are paying you, which you deflected quite nicely there.

I suggested just above that division 5 should be removed completely, and the teams integrated back into division 3 and 4.

I don't dislike the move towards two team clubs playing on the same day, only it's going to result in 2 years of more or less predetermined results in lower grade football, until NEAFL contracts are up, and Ainslie/Eastlake can filter down.

All AFL Canberra are doing at the moment is losing a bunch of players who aren't interested in getting flogged each week. Not sure why they just couldn't wait a couple of years to start tinkering with the lower grades, rather than risk losing participants. At the moment, it appears as though they have bowed to the requests of one two team club who demanded to know why their teams weren't playing same place, same day.

I'm at a loss as to why you even care, given you have zero involvement in the lower grades of Canberra football now, unless of course, they are paying you, which you deflected quite nicely there.
I've stated before that my involvement is wanting football to be the best it can be. That's not just for my club, but for the whole competition. The last few years have not been good for football in this town, and as you mentioned participation has dropped. I'm sure every team in Canberra can back me up on that, as I said I can't speak for the regional teams.
I can understand where you are coming from with the NEAFL licenses finishing up, no doubt there will be more changes there, but I think if AFL Canberra sat on their hands for the next 2 years we'd all be complaining about that as well. To me this move looks to improve culture within the majority of football clubs, which is a great thing.
Another point is every league across Australia you'll find a team that gets flogged each year. If that team then decides to throw it in because its too hard then that's a cultural problem, and something clubs have to sort out, not a league administration problem. If the league is run to please teams, rather than run it improve the overall competition then we'll end up like we were in the past few season, going downhill quickly.

Unfortunately I'm not getting paid be the league, but if you think I'm doing a good enough job to warrant it, please send through a request to the league headquarters and I'll happily accept any donations they want to send my way.:D

I've stated before that my involvement is wanting football to be the best it can be. That's not just for my club, but for the whole competition.

So surely then, you'd want the most competitive leagues for teams of varying ability to play in, rather than just lumping teams together because their 3s play same day?

The last few years have not been good for football in this town, and as you mentioned participation has dropped. I'm sure every team in Canberra can back me up on that, as I said I can't speak for the regional teams.

Not sure "every team in Canberra" will back you up on dwindling participation, seems odd that Ainslie could put in a 4th side only 3 years ago if that was truly the case, let alone have that team get better every season.

I can understand where you are coming from with the NEAFL licenses finishing up, no doubt there will be more changes there, but I think if AFL Canberra sat on their hands for the next 2 years we'd all be complaining about that as well. To me this move looks to improve culture within the majority of football clubs, which is a great thing.

I don't think anyone would be complaining/was complaining before the latest restructure. The lower grades were realigned late last year, and whilst not perfect, represented a far more even set of leagues.

Another point is every league across Australia you'll find a team that gets flogged each year. If that team then decides to throw it in because its too hard then that's a cultural problem, and something clubs have to sort out, not a league administration problem. If the league is run to please teams, rather than run it improve the overall competition then we'll end up like we were in the past few season, going downhill quickly.

So Gungahlin not working in the upper grades was a cultural problem last time? I seem to remember them being far better placed to enter the AFL Canberra reserve grade that time than they are to make a push into AFLC first grade now. At least they had their own capable players. What makes you think it will work this time? Is it because you are on board? Belconnen players seem quite fond of you from some of the posts I have seen here. Or do you think Ainslie NEAFL players will stick around to make sure that culture develops?

Unfortunately I'm not getting paid be the league, but if you think I'm doing a good enough job to warrant it, please send through a request to the league headquarters and I'll happily accept any donations they want to send my way.:D

Maybe any donations you receive can be sent through to Belconnen as a thanks for the exercise programs that showed up at the Jets?

Last edited:

I can see how this is good for Canberra teams. But that's it. It's good for ONLY Canberra based sides excluding Ainslie and Tuggers in Div 5.
You mention that the regional teams should put in the hard yards and get a reserves team. Have you ventured to Yass or Cooma etc. to see how hard it can be to fill one side. These teams do it with minimal support and theses resources you mention that are stretched don't exist. Players are strappers, players who are injured or don't make the side are given other jobs. Hard to attract support staff and it will be harder again having to say to them to travel 2 hours for volunteer work.
Let's say a side does manage to put in the hard yards and gets a 2nd team. They then jump 2 divisions in a year and leave a 5 team comp assuming Tuggers stay in. So while everyone in Canberras backyard has been looked after, the regional teams have been shafted. 1 month out from the season starting doesn't give them many opportunities to explore other options. To me it's just deal with, we think you're irrelevant yet they have given them no other options. Hard to grow your team culture and gather interest in a 6 team 5th grade comp. New players and sponsors will love that

I can see how this is good for Canberra teams. But that's it. It's good for ONLY Canberra based sides excluding Ainslie and Tuggers in Div 5.
You mention that the regional teams should put in the hard yards and get a reserves team. Have you ventured to Yass or Cooma etc. to see how hard it can be to fill one side. These teams do it with minimal support and theses resources you mention that are stretched don't exist. Players are strappers, players who are injured or don't make the side are given other jobs. Hard to attract support staff and it will be harder again having to say to them to travel 2 hours for volunteer work.
Let's say a side does manage to put in the hard yards and gets a 2nd team. They then jump 2 divisions in a year and leave a 5 team comp assuming Tuggers stay in. So while everyone in Canberras backyard has been looked after, the regional teams have been shafted. 1 month out from the season starting doesn't give them many opportunities to explore other options. To me it's just deal with, we think you're irrelevant yet they have given them no other options. Hard to grow your team culture and gather interest in a 6 team 5th grade comp. New players and sponsors will love that

Exactly, Yass now has to compete with the Yass Magpies and I know a few Coota boys have already either swapped code or are playing in a different league. Goulburn blokes are getting older, and they certainly only have enough for one side once the competition gets going.

I don't see why Ainslie and Tuggeranong should be punished for Belconnen and Eastlake failing to fill their quota of teams. Also can see 12Magpies would be happy, his club gets a number of top up players from a higher competition who won't even want to be there. So what type of club culture would that create? When blokes who have done a pre-season with the club get a game in a lower grade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think People should stop thinking of div 5 as a lower grade, maybe the AFL an move what number it is. Its the equivalent to Clubs XVIII in the Victorian Amateurs, in terms of building a league around a senior and reserve grade clubs, and the 'remaining' clubs that don't fall in that mold being put into a still competitive competition. the logic they are applying is the game day experience which to their credit is the one they have been spruiking since the restructure started. I agree this is late, they could have gone with the structure they had, evened out the draw and ran with it this year, and then tried this next year, but they are doing it and that's done.

In terms of ANU & ADFA possibly dominating the 3rd and 4th grade this year, that could happen, lets face it, but it gives extra incentive and push for clubs to improve to get to their level. Teams go through highs and lows over a season and over a 10 year period in terms of results, having those teams back might even push their opponents to improve to meet that benchmark. they were on the other side of it last year, and all reports are that ANU really stood up and took on the challenge and pencilled in some wins or close games with the 'better teams'

I do feel for the country teams, and as a player in the same grade as them for years, our team always looked forward to the road trip (not so much the flogging). But I guess the point that is being made on here is that the league cant please everyone. There has to be some take (even if there isn't enough give). By the sounds the leagues hands were again tied by the a couple of 'big clubs' not meeting their team commitment and pulling out. I think in such a small league we are going to deal with these changes every year until a few more clubs can come into the fray. But I don't think the accusations that the league doesn't want country teams is correct. I have heard the league is hoping to bring in other rural teams in the future such as the Moruya / Brollee giants who were formed last year in the juniors. I guess the structure they have set is for this year. It will change again next year or the year after when the NEAFL changes again.

I think People should stop thinking of div 5 as a lower grade, maybe the AFL an move what number it is. Its the equivalent to Clubs XVIII in the Victorian Amateurs, in terms of building a league around a senior and reserve grade clubs, and the 'remaining' clubs that don't fall in that mold being put into a still competitive competition. the logic they are applying is the game day experience which to their credit is the one they have been spruiking since the restructure started. I agree this is late, they could have gone with the structure they had, evened out the draw and ran with it this year, and then tried this next year, but they are doing it and that's done.

In terms of ANU & ADFA possibly dominating the 3rd and 4th grade this year, that could happen, lets face it, but it gives extra incentive and push for clubs to improve to get to their level. Teams go through highs and lows over a season and over a 10 year period in terms of results, having those teams back might even push their opponents to improve to meet that benchmark. they were on the other side of it last year, and all reports are that ANU really stood up and took on the challenge and pencilled in some wins or close games with the 'better teams'

I do feel for the country teams, and as a player in the same grade as them for years, our team always looked forward to the road trip (not so much the flogging). But I guess the point that is being made on here is that the league cant please everyone. There has to be some take (even if there isn't enough give). By the sounds the leagues hands were again tied by the a couple of 'big clubs' not meeting their team commitment and pulling out. I think in such a small league we are going to deal with these changes every year until a few more clubs can come into the fray. But I don't think the accusations that the league doesn't want country teams is correct. I have heard the league is hoping to bring in other rural teams in the future such as the Moruya / Brollee giants who were formed last year in the juniors. I guess the structure they have set is for this year. It will change again next year or the year after when the NEAFL changes again.

Not arguing with much here, but a 6 team 5th grade competition is completely unnecessary. Split the teams as Coota/Goulburn/Yass and Ainslie/Tuggeranong/Cooma into the two divisions, when your 1s play at Coota, your 2s play at Ainslie, and so forth. Sure, it won't be ideal, but at least the home leg of that fixture would be a double header. Is it that bad? It'll happen less than once a month, per club.

Just as an aside, I have nothing but respect for the way ANU went about playing up last year, it is absolutely disgraceful that AFL Canberra have sent them back to the lower grades in place of Gungahlin. Would have made a nice feeder team for Marist too.

I wouldn't believe it of you Lemon, but that actually sounds like a sensible idea.

Keeps the country sides interested because they get to play a wider range of opponents and don't have long road trips as often, means that MOST of the time teams with 2 sides are still playing at the same ground and allows for a pretty balanced competition, with the strongest country sides adding to the strength of the competition in 3rd grade, setting a challenge for both themselves and the other sides in the comp.

I wouldn't believe it of you Lemon, but that actually sounds like a sensible idea.

Keeps the country sides interested because they get to play a wider range of opponents and don't have long road trips as often, means that MOST of the time teams with 2 sides are still playing at the same ground and allows for a pretty balanced competition, with the strongest country sides adding to the strength of the competition in 3rd grade, setting a challenge for both themselves and the other sides in the comp.

Would eliminate the bye as well. Maybe AFL Canberra should be paying me.

Can you country team reps please start your own thread and stop polluting the AFL Canberra thread please?

Think you will find that Canberra will get there wish next Year. Yass want be the only team looking to join another comp next year, rumour has it that two other country clubs are also looking to opt out of ACTAFL. Its not like the travel will hurt us as we are training for that this year by doing the extra kilometres every second week.

Think you will find that Canberra will get there wish next Year. Yass want be the only team looking to join another comp next year, rumour has it that two other country clubs are also looking to opt out of ACTAFL. Its not like the travel will hurt us as we are training for that this year by doing the extra kilometres every second week.
So two of either Coota, Cooma and Goulburn are rumoured to be looking into other comps? And Yass is definitely looking? Any other competition would mean a lot more travel.

So two of either Coota, Cooma and Goulburn are rumoured to be looking into other comps? And Yass is definitely looking? Any other competition would mean a lot more travel.
Hello oily .
Don't think it would be fair of me to confirm or deny what other clubs are doing. Yes the idea has been floated at Yass but not by current committee .Its been floated by those who put up the cabbage that is needed to see our players, our team, and our town, put a side on the paddock. We want AFL to be a part of Yass for ever , We pay the same fees as Canberra teams be it men's or woman yet we get treated like s**t and we are expected to were whatever is throne at as under the disguise that its for the good of the game. I actually believe that it is for the good of whoever works in ACTAFL . If we here at Yass had an employee like other clubs who worked there then it would be a different story I guarantee . Last year I spent 30 k of my own company's money with clubs such as Yass, Belconnen NEAFL , Batemans bay , and one more that I don't want to mention . This year I have committed 3k not that I believe money should entitle you to any advantage .Just simply stating a fact , So at the end of my rant ill ask how do we here at Yass grow the game or create a footy coulter without moving on ? If its to be that Yass decide to stay at ACTAFL and they are expected to continue to swallow then Yass will die ,For some on here I know that would be good !!! but for those of us who just love the game that will be the end of all that's been done, enjoyed, and achieved here in Yass . * I miss Rusty .AKA Juicy Fruit. These are my own views and thoughts and have nothing to do with the club .I have stepped back completely from the club due a conversation that took place with the football operations manger at ACTAFL at the Woden tradies .And therefore hope that the Roos are not judged or disadvantaged by this .

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back