Food, Drink & Dining Out The Scotch thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit late but JW Green has been gone for a few years. Pity.

I have about half a bottle left. My cheapo go to is JW Black.

Lately been drinking Elmer Lee, Old Rip Van Winkle, Evan Williams SB 2002 and that Slow & Low (sort of like a pre mixed Old Fashioned with Rye).

Probably just cheaper for Diageo (who also water down one of my favourite drinks, Bulleit, for Aus :rolleyes:).

They can put all of the malts that went into Green int their other blends and dilute them with cheaper whiskies...then relabel at that price point as 'JW Double black' etc.

Because it's JW, they can get away with it.

Green would have been running at a lower margin for them than their current lineup.

Nicks in East Doncaster carry the ten year old Bulleit, which will be correct proof. They should also carry a variety of 4 Roses (i.e. the distillery which as I understand, makes Bulleit). They'll also have Bulleit Rye.

www.nicks.com.au

Old Faithful on King St in Perth has Old Pulteney 21yo in their line up. Not at a price where you'd want to get more than once, but it was definitely worth trying out.

I went to an olympic fundraiser a few months back and had 12 yr Glen fiddich neat, it was sensational for a drink that is not overly expensive. JW Blue label IMO is horrible compared to the Black Lable and Double Black.

Just got my tix for the Sydney whisky show in May.:)

Current collection:

Auchentoshan Springwood
Auchentoshan Heartwood
Penderyn portwood (Welsh)
Penderyn madeira cask (Welsh)
Lark small cask aged (Tassie)
Overeem port cask (Tassie)
Ardbeg uigeadhal
Balvenie cuban selection
Benriach 14yo rum cask
Aberlour a'bunadh
Benriach15yo pedro ximenez cask
Benromach 10yo
Redbreast 12yo (Irish)
Wild Turkey 101 (American)

For those special bottles say $150 or more, once opened how long can you keep them for before the quality is affected? What's the best way to keep them?

Quality should not drop. Bottle will 'open up' due to exposure to air - you'll note sometimes a bottle tastes better towards the end. Obviously keep it out of extreme weather. If it is a corked bottle, be wary that they can cause issues if kept on the side for a long, long time. Potentially might need to drain the liquid through a strainer to get rid of cork.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was in Hobart the other weekend on business and, naturally, went to Lark's bar to sample the finest whiskies the apple isle has to offer. I tried Larks single cask (and bought a bottle), Sullivan's Cove American oak and McHenry Three Capes. All terrific drops, stuff I'd happily put up against the finest Scotland produces.

Our local stuff is gaining further recognition: Sullivan's Cove has picked up another major gong at the world whisky awards and Bill Lark was inducted into the Whisky Hall of Fame.

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-sty...n-at-world-whisky-awards-20150320-1m3rvw.html

There are so many great whiskies not from Scotland, and some of the best of them are being produced in our own backyard. Try them, you'll like them.

It's nothing ridiculously pricey, but my favourite is The Macallan 18. Absolutely wonderful and oaky. Splash some Antipodes on it, serve with or without ice. Heaven in a glass.

The old man always has a couple of spares behind the bar, as every week or two we tend to have a Macallan session and discuss the happenings of the world, have a laugh and listen to music. :thumbsu:

Picked up a bottle of Glenrothes Select Reserve on a whim the other day. Not a bad drop. Quite different in taste.

People seem to like it or dislike it. Never had it. Just read some reviews and am not sure myself.
It's a bit like the some of Old Pulteneys needs 5-10 minutes in a glass to really open up.

It's a bit like the some of Old Pulteneys needs 5-10 minutes in a glass to really open up.

I'll try it if I see it at a bar. Going to the Kilburn on Monday for an Ardbeg night (5 different expressions including 2014 Supernova).

I was in Hobart the other weekend on business and, naturally, went to Lark's bar to sample the finest whiskies the apple isle has to offer. I tried Larks single cask (and bought a bottle), Sullivan's Cove American oak and McHenry Three Capes. All terrific drops, stuff I'd happily put up against the finest Scotland produces.

Our local stuff is gaining further recognition: Sullivan's Cove has picked up another major gong at the world whisky awards and Bill Lark was inducted into the Whisky Hall of Fame.

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-sty...n-at-world-whisky-awards-20150320-1m3rvw.html

There are so many great whiskies not from Scotland, and some of the best of them are being produced in our own backyard. Try them, you'll like them.

The Three Capes is lovely stuff. I gave a nip to a cousin of mine who traditionally HATES whisky, and even he liked it. I'm yet to try the Larks single cask (I've got a tiny 100ml bottle of it stashed for a special occasion) or the Sullivan's Cove American Oak, though I've tried the French Oak which is fantastic.

If you end up back in Hobart, pop in to the Nant Whisky Bar in Wooby's Lane (Battery Point/Salamanca) and try their offerings. Great drops! The cask strength one will definitely put hairs on your chest... or burn them off if you spill it down your shirt.

They definitely seem to know what they're doing on the whisky front down in Tas.

Went to the Sydney whisky show on Saturday afternoon.:) I tried over 30 different whiskies from all over. I tried to stick with whiskies I hadn't tasted before but sampled a few favourites as well.

Then I went home and watched Carlton play. The whisky certainly helped.:drunk:

Last edited:
Couldn't find a bourbon thread, and I guess that this is a sort of general whiskey thread anyway.

But just a bit of a whinge - bought a bottle of Jim Beam Black - it was actually quite good when it was 8 years old and 43%. Now it is marginally better than white label. Yet again a good product is screwed up for Australia :rolleyes:

Couldn't find a bourbon thread, and I guess that this is a sort of general whiskey thread anyway.

But just a bit of a whinge - bought a bottle of Jim Beam Black - it was actually quite good when it was 8 years old and 43%. Now it is marginally better than white label. Yet again a good product is screwed up for Australia :rolleyes:

Yes. NFI why they did that. Best stick with Beam Bonded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back