Richmond Season Launch

Remove this Banner Ad

RobsJourney

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Hey fellas, back from Japan for a week and had the awesome privilege, thanks to Dad shelling out on Inner Sanctum Memberships, of going to the Richmond Season Launch this eve.
Got a couple of photos with Dusty and Richo which I will post asap, but I'll just list a couple of things here.
Before that I'll just say awesome night, surreal to be having a drink with my dad and be surrounded by players and past greats, literally centimetres away and all chatting to strangers and friends alike, the club really is doing great things.

- Yes Astbury is out for round 1 cause of a stringray, wtf is up with his luck?! Didn't see him, Conca or C. Ellis all night. Did see Conca's brother though.
- Spoke briefly to Dimma. Confirmed he never gets the emails I send to the club and ask to be passed to him haha.. Will confirm he is a REALLY good bloke and gave me a real hard grip on the shoulder and said to have an awesome time back in Japan. Based on that alone I hope he coaches for a long time to come.
- Richo MC'd, he is very funny. Kudos to the man for doing it after he just lost his father. He was told not to worry about doing it and he said no way I'm doing it. Had a brief chat to him and as you can imagine, very friendly guy.
- KB spoke really well too, very very funny.
- Newman is part of the leadership group, Cotchin said that in his speech, so we will prob still be seeing a lot of him this year.
- Spoke to Foley with my dad for about 15 minutes. Honestly he is a really really *ing good guy, can't speak highly enough. Made eye contact with us as he was walking past and saw we were interested so just stopped and melded in with us and chatted very enthusiastically. Was walking no issue and said he is only really a couple of weeks away. I asked what he thought of Rance and he said no worries, Rance will stay. He also expressed his complete confusion at how the hell Essendon managed to get themeselves into their current predicament, given how monitored everything is in the AFL even down to a panadol.
- Milesy looks fit and speaks very well. Lambert also.
- Cannot speak highly enough of Brendon Gale's assistant Nikki, she took me the shy fool to get a photo with Richo and Dusty when I was too shy to go over myself.
- Morris is taller than I expected, I'm 6'2 and he was pretty much on par.
- Dusty is as shy as people say, barely uttered a word and kept to the corners.
- McIntosh looks like he can really work a room. He is pretty damn tall, looks happy with things and reckon he is a good chance for round 1.

Overall a really fun night. Again very surreal to just be mingling like that with the players etc.
Any questions and I'll try my best to answer, im a bit drunk right now so I might be forgetting things.
Otherwise carn the Tiges!
Cheers

If I was a little less shy I could have chatted to anyone yeah, it was really really cool.
Some of the boys were better than others at mingling and chatting, like Foley, Richo, obviously the coach and Benny Gale etc.
A lot of the boys stuck together in various groups otherwise.

If I was a little less shy I could have chatted to anyone yeah, it was really really cool.
Some of the boys were better than others at mingling and chatting, like Foley, Richo, obviously the coach and Benny Gale etc.
A lot of the boys stuck together in various groups otherwise.

Tell us about the cliques.

Sounds like you had a wonderful night. :)

Well done RobsJourney

I reckon Steve Morris would surprise many with his height as when we hear he takes a small forward we instantly assume he is short. Listed as 185 cm which seems pretty accurate if he's just about on a par to you.

How times change. G Ablett senior was 185cm, Dermie was 186cm and even Dunstall was only 188cm. Midfielder height today.

Well done RobsJourney

I reckon Steve Morris would surprise many with his height as when we hear he takes a small forward we instantly assume he is short. Listed as 185 cm which seems pretty accurate if he's just about on a par to you.

How times change. G Ablett senior was 185cm, Dermie was 186cm and even Dunstall was only 188cm. Midfielder height today.
from memory Royce was a similar height, he's actually the same playing height/weight as Dusty believe it or not!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they dont fire up hearing that i dont know what would

I haven't seen it yet. But going on previous things from KB . I look forward to seeing it in a few weeks...:thumbsu:

Tell us about the cliques.

Sounds like you had a wonderful night. :)
As far as I could tell, a lot of the first and second year players hung out together in pretty much the center of the room, including mature agers Lloyd, Lambert and Hunt. Nearby was an even younger kid who looked like Lennon, assuming he has a brother?
Vickery and Grimes mingled a little nearby, whilst McIntosh was moving around quite a bit. Riewoldt walked around a lot and Maric was very popular, always standing and talking to someone. Constantly smiling.
Deledio spoke to some elderlies at the start, someone important to the club perhaps, but otherwise he didn't seem too interested in anyone else at the place.

A smaller group was sitting together for a bit, Rance, Elton, Newman, Petterd, Vlas I believe.
Then later toward the front corner nearest the stage, Richo Dusty and Newman were chatting for a bit and very small groups of other people would occasionally go and engage them.

This is a close as I got to seeing any real cliques.
During Cotchin's speech, noticed Deledio and Newman sitting and laughing about something together, perhaps privately taking the piss or something who knows.

Loved listening to kb at the launch on the website
Haven't watched it on the site since I saw it live, not sure if they cut it or not but he made a great comment about the female nude streaker during a match, was it the 1982 GF?
Anyway he goes, something like "she was a blonde and a brunette, depending on where you were looking at the time"
That one got a good laugh from the room :)

Haven't watched it on the site since I saw it live, not sure if they cut it or not but he made a great comment about the female nude streaker during a match, was it the 1982 GF?
Anyway he goes, something like "she was a blonde and a brunette, depending on where you were looking at the time"
That one got a good laugh from the room :)
yep thats on there, great speech & yes that bit is left in.

Do you work away for months at a time at the oil rigs or mining?

Mostly survey type vessels, oil & gas. Five weeks at a time usually...

Mostly survey type vessels, oil & gas. Five weeks at a time usually...
I've read previously that you were a teacher. How did you get involved in this type of geology(exploration). Were you previously a geology teacher? Only asking because I'm keen on a similar career path having wrecked my body from my current one.

Great pics RobsJourney , thanks for posting them!! Study or working in Japan? (Hope you don't mind me asking?) . Pm me if you wish.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back