Review R3: Port v North Melbourne Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Did hurt us a lot unfortunately. Unconvinced about the smarts.
His pass to Mitchell was as smart as they come, many would have had a ping.

He's done exactly the same thing during so called clutch moments in a number of games. That is team first and shows smarts, vision and the ability to handle pressure.

O.k I'm going to claim being the first one to suggest Pittard could become our version of Andrew Mackie ( maybe he could even go higher ) now wait for it Aaron Young could become our version of Nat Fyfe .

Both of them need a decent haircut.

With all the north supporters sooking about the frees did anyone think the Lindsay thomas one was a shocker when they were 8 pts down with 7 mins left ??

yeah just like Port supporters sooking about the umpires last week when they clearly got a better run than Sydney.

Umpires helped get Kangaroos back in the game in that last quarter.

Great win by Port last night..it was gutsy. It's wins like that, that can change the course of the season. If they had of lost last night season would of been looking almost shot instead they rallied against a great opposition at Edihad....sign of a good club. Inspirational win that will instill so much confidence and belief in the playing group.

Port about to go on a massive roll and secure a spot in the top 4. Jag 1 of the next 2 or both and it's look out.

I will take the win...but f*** me we have gone backwards...

That gamestyle wont hold up against the top 4 teams.

north had some outs and lost ziebell early..

But a wins a win is a win...i will take hope it kicks start our season.

yeah just like Port supporters sooking about the umpires last week when they clearly got a better run than Sydney.

Umpires helped get Kangaroos back in the game in that last quarter.

Great win by Port last night..it was gutsy. It's wins like that, that can change the course of the season. If they had of lost last night season would of been looking almost shot instead they rallied against a great opposition at Edihad....sign of a good club. Inspirational win that will instill so much confidence and belief in the playing group.

Port about to go on a massive roll and secure a spot in the top 4. Jag 1 of the next 2 or both and it's look out.

LMAO did you watch the first half?!

No he is just looking at the numbers. What we hated about the refs that game was the inconsistency. Absolutely rolled us the first qtr and a half to then turn around and go the other way when we we already out of the game in the second half.

Disagree on the reasoning why. Freo and Sydney always play with lots of numbers back so Schulz doesnt have room. Its why he lead to and had shots from the 5th row of the members stand last week. North dont play that way.

Also the umpires paid Schulz several frees for holding with Thompson which they didnt pay against Freo or the Swans.

Given how much time Westhoff and our small forwards spend outside our forward 50 an extra ruckman isnt going to cause a real problem.

I am actually not so sure about this. I think this week Schulz was superior to the North Melbourne defenders, and the free kicks represented that. When you are holding the players arm while he is marking the ball it will always be a free.

I think he deserves a lot more frees than he gets, but I feel that the reason North Melbourne's defenders gave away more is because don't know how to play the game the way Sydney and Fremantle's do, rather than due to the umpires.

That moment you realise North were a top 4 team last year ...

I'm a supposed supporter that can't handle Mitchell. He kicked a clutch goal to win the game, good on him. Doesn't mean he still doesn't have limitations and we can't analyse the negatives in his game (remember Petrenko kicking the winner against the Roos?).
Happy that he kicked the goal. He also hit some nice kick passes to leads. His kicking seems to have improved. Saying a port supporter wanted him to play poorly and we lose is silly. When they are out there they have support, but not unconditional bandwidth to spud it up.
People can celebrate Mitchell today and still have reservations for his spot in the best 22. I'm happy for Mitchell.
Don't get your 2nd point, Monfries is cool.

The post wasn't intended to attack yourself or people who hold the same quite rational opinion that Mitchell should be considered a depth player. There were posts in the gameday thread and a couple early on in here that lamented the fact that Mitchell played a hand in helping us win the game.

Likewise with Monfries, he's got some flaws but the good far outweighs the bad and he absolutely bleeds for the club. I just feel as though reading on here there is an undercurrent of discontent from a sizable minority about him which I do not believe is warranted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- So happy for Youngy especially, thought he was terrific last night
- Brad Ebert superb all round game, BOG
- Pittard damaging, quality
- Hombsch another terrific game
- Our tackling stinks right now, disappointed with a couple of Polec's efforts, didn't think he deserved a 2 tho Macca, harsh
- Paddy Ryder fantastic game and looked to run out the whole game very well
- Our defence were great outside a couple of costly lapses
- Westhoff is either injured or being played out of position
- Robbie Gray speed and agility is clearly amongst the best in the league
- Ollie - so sad but the bloke is a truck, loved the Nth bloke reaction to hitting a brick wall lol
- Bobby Carlisle ditto

Fremantle were a significantly better side than North last year. Polar opposite finals fixtures distorted the expections of both clubs all summer.

Freo are genuine contenders. And as at round 3 North are shaping up to be this seasons pretenders.

Wrt Monfries he's as smart as they come but one criticism is that he needs to keep his feet.

He goes to ground quite a bit and in a lot of those cases the opposition turns defence into attack. A number of those rebounds can hurt us if/when we are streaming forward.

Very much so, it's one of the most common ways rebounds (that lead to goals) happen. Watch Hill and Darling play for the Eagles.

Carn BMW.

1. We haven't beaten North for two years.
2. As pointed out, North were in the prelim last year.
3. Not sure if stats back this up, but I feel our ball control has improved this year.
4. Our defence has been just as resolute as last year, if not better.

Footy ain't linear. Should Hawthorn supporters have been slitting their wrists when they were in a bad patch last year around the time of Clarkson's illness when GWS almost did them and were belted by North? Should we have been slitting our wrists when our early season form looked like disintegrating playing like absolute shite for a month against the Crows, Dons and Demons?

We've got plenty to work on if we want to contend this year, it won't just happen but need to settle down a bit. Apologies for plagiarising the lovely analogy someone made on here earlier on in the week, but will reiterate their theme of not getting too carried away with the crests and troughs and sit back and watch the tide come in.

Wrt Monfries he's as smart as they come but one criticism is that he needs to keep his feet.

He goes to ground quite a bit and in a lot of those cases the opposition turns defence into attack. A number of those rebounds can hurt us if/when we are streaming forward.

He does it at every contest where he feels pressure. He has a case of the Matty Lloyds where he deliberately doesnt land on his feet in marking contests on the lead to entice the umps to give a push in the back free that isnt there.

Great victory last night, the forward line was more fluid however it still needs to improve further.

Plenty of positives and thought Ah Chee showed great composure when he handballed to Young late in the game.

Hoff showed a better work rate and had an impact on the game at various stages last night.

Bring on the Hawks!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back