Yazz, Chapman and Bullying.

Remove this Banner Ad

If you don't like the shorthand 'PC' then let's call it what it is - Hypocrisy. The game has always been violent, and has always sold itself on violence and sold tickets on violence as entertainment. Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer wasn't famous for repartee, good grammar and diction. He was famous and lauded and 'a top bloke' because he was a guernsey away from common assault on a weekly basis. He left a trail of battered and bloodied opponents week in and week out.

That's what the game has always done. The only difference now is that it's supposed to be clean, free of animus and violence and something our kids can play without being belted senseless. AFL 360 is a classic show of the contradiction. Robbo loves the biff, and has the IQ of a deflated Sherrin. Whateley has a pigeon-chested rationalism that abhors violence and will call for the heads of those who go in 'too hard'. The ex-players who pontificate at half-time on Fox Footy chortle about the good old days, when 'men were men', and other euphemisms for brutality in footy shorts.

Hypocrisy. The AFL lives on it, thrives on it.

I don't have a problem with it. I just won't pretend it doesn't exist.

Mmmm. PC is shorthand for political correctness, which has nothing to do with hypocrisy.

Picture Barry Hall at home replaying the footage, smiling ear to ear! Yazz might be his favourite player now, sublime skills and a hard **** too!

Mod edit: Don't evade the swear filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please tell

Summary of what he said:
-Chapman is an expert at getting away with jumper punches.
-Yarran's response was an almost instinctive jab, a glancing blow that happened to hit Chapman in the right spot.
-Should get a week or two, but would prefer no weeks.

Basically strongly suggesting that Yarran was responding to Chapman being a bully and that Chapman got his just deserts from the incident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Summary of what he said:
-Chapman is an expert at getting away with jumper punches.
-Yarran's response was an almost instinctive jab, a glancing blow that happened to hit Chapman in the right spot.
-Should get a week or two, but would prefer no weeks.

Basically strongly suggesting that Yarran was responding to Chapman being a bully and that Chapman got his just deserts from the incident.
Chapman instigated the incident & as Finey describes, got in a few jumper punches before Yaz landed the blow which felled Chapman. This blow was clearly instinctive.

The disappointing thing about this incident was that despite their being 9 umpires on the field & another one on the bench, not one of them saw Chapman start the incident & it took some time before umpire Schmitt finally became aware of the incident, by which time Chapman had already got in a number of jumper punches.

1. Note the repeated commentary from a very biased C7 team on the day....
2. I too wondered at the umpire who clearly stated no more elbows into the back to Chapman - clearly he was aware of teh goings on - but let it go...until Yarran threw a punch in retaliation to jumper scragging and legal punching BS
3. Then speculation about concussion from C7
4. then two goals from Chapman - after JTurd had milked the BS for all it was worth

and Carlton's response-

yeah throw the book at Yarran - yeah he was bad...yeah we leaders will give him a sound talking to...
what 'leaders'? - eh???

what utter crap

I cannot speak for the Hyphen but the Hyphensback loved it - sure I would prefer if he got away with a clean hip and shoulder that knocked him out and saved him from fronting the tribunal but I am absolutely sick of the Blues being bullied by teams ie Murphy getting rag dolled and never getting protected
Good to see a few of the boys turn into men and grows some balls
Now they just gotta figure out a way to do it and not be rubbed out

I want to see Bell, Gibbs and Casboult start enforcing out there. They have the size and weight behind them to do some serious damage. And lets be honest... if Gibbs starts throwing his weight around like he did to Goddard and a couple of years back where he absolutely nailed that useless little dreadlocked shithead in red and bleak with a perfect tackle right on the siren.

The way people are going on about him, we apparently won't miss Gibbs if he gets a couple of weeks for putting someone little shitbag into next week and in fact, I reckon that his stocks would go up amongst the supporters if he started throwing his weight around more.

As for Yarran, Chapman and the whole bullying s**t... who gives a *. If Scarlett got 3 weeks for this:

and lets admit it people... everyone wants to do it and applauded Scarlet for doing it... then Yazz should only get 2 weeks. There was nothing wrong with that bald headed w***er apart from a cut over his eye. Hird milked the concussion sub rule to maximum effect and will do everything he can to get an opposition player suspended.

If I was on the MRP, I would tell Hird that he has used up all his good will at the tribunal and Chapman can have a couple of weeks for damaging Yarrans left fist.

PS: Just say the whole incident... which is what the AFL will use and I am pretty certain that Chapman said something derogatory towards Yarran which is why Yazz wanted to keep it going on the way to the boundary line. If it was just elbows in the back, then he would have kept going away from Chapman.

Blah blah blah. Yarran hit him. Good. We need to show something and I am reminded of the quote from The Mighty Ducks "2 minutes? Well worth it." He will get his punishment and all will be evened out in the eyes of the AFL. There is no telling what will happen as a result. People to show Yarran more respect, or is he volatile and they will send an antagonist to him. We will see when he returns from suspension. We need to angry though. We need to show some mongrel.

Dramoth - you beat me to the point that I was going to make. If it were Hayden Ballantyne that Yarran belted the media would have been all over how good it was that another player finally snapped. Instead, it's an Essendon player who for far too long has gotten away with dirty tactics similar to Ballantyne's. I know a number of Geelong supporters who always held the opinion that Chappy was someone who you loved having on your team but would absolutely loathe if he wasn't. The media story on Geelong for the past decade was always portrayed in a positive fashion (Ablett Sr aside) so the media looked past any dirty tactics that were employed - even Stevie Johnson is portrayed as a hero in the media rather than a villain (the ultimate lovable larrikin). Chapman goes to Essendon and is played up as a part of the so brave media portrayal (he obviously wasn't linked to the drugs scandal as he arrived after). Chapman has gotten away with being a dog of a bloke for far too long.

Let's put these irrefutable facts out there:
  • Chapman ran 15-20 meters to do something underhanded/dirty to Yarran
  • The umpire told Chapman off for his behavior all of the way until Yarran finally belted him. Notice that said umpire did not once tell Yarran off.
  • The umpire watching the entire thing unfold (and I'm presuming the emergency umpire would have done the same thing) refused to report Yarran
  • Not one Essendon player went to Chapman's aid
Over the years we've labelled our players soft, etc. in lack of retaliation towards opposition players. However, I don't remember a single specific incident where a Carlton player was physically punched where we didn't retaliate or form a melee. What does that say about the Essendon players and what happened to Chapman? What it should tell you is that there was much more to the incident than what the media will and has written up about it and that it's not good for Chapman.

There is no question that Yarran should be suspended for a week or two. He's guilty of the crime so he should do the time. However, rather than basing the entirety of its decision upon an isolated part of a whole the AFL really needs to take a good long hard look at what started it to instigate it. If Yarran goes for 2 or 3 weeks then the instigator of the incident, in this case Chapman, should be suspended for twice as long. The AFL conveniently forgets that it takes two to tango and that even though they may consider what Yarran did as an over reaction there would be absolutely no need for a reaction at all if the instigator didn't start it.

Well said Wickzki. Unfortunately the AFL have always been soft on instigators who play in the grey areas of rules.

They will most likely look at the incident in isolation rather than looking for any reason for an otherwise clean player has taken such drastic action.

This is exactly why I have never admired players like Crowley, Baker etc. who are always protected from scrutiny because a hundred punches/pinches/scrags behind play or off the ball go unpunished but one reaction to these tactics either results in free kicks or suspension.

The excuse of insufficient force and using medical reports has skewed punishments to create confusion among fans and encourages underhand tactics from those willing to exploit the AFLs lack of leadership in stamping out otherwise unacceptable behavior.

Can't believe people actually believe what Carrazzo said on tv yesterday. He has to say that. Like I said in another thread. Behind closed doors Carrazzo would have been the first one to say well done

I cannot speak for the Hyphen but the Hyphensback loved it - sure I would prefer if he got away with a clean hip and shoulder that knocked him out and saved him from fronting the tribunal but I am absolutely sick of the Blues being bullied by teams ie Murphy getting rag dolled and never getting protected
Good to see a few of the boys turn into men and grows some balls
Now they just gotta figure out a way to do it and not be rubbed out
Oh great. Now what do I do? I had no idea I had to punch someone to be a man. Very confused and a little scared right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back