VFL VFL Round 1 - Sandringham v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

How did Tom Simpkin go?

Squizzy, you said he was good?

I still haven't lost hope on him yet.

You have to have played pretty decent footy to be promoted off the rookie list in the Lyon era, cruelled by injuries. Was hoping he'd have a good run at it this year, but knee, then broken jaw.

Someone update me please?

Was Payne playing? If so how did he look?
Noticed Payne in one of Dave Savell's photos from today. So that's how he looks. :)

http://www.davesavell.com/img/s5/v117/p1120404058-3.jpg?sn=2YH
How did Tom Simpkin go?

Squizzy, you said he was good?

I still haven't lost hope on him yet.

You have to have played pretty decent footy to be promoted off the rookie list in the Lyon era, cruelled by injuries. Was hoping he'd have a good run at it this year, but knee, then broken jaw.

Someone update me please?
Named in the best according to the Saints website. Bashed and crashed with gay abandon! :eek:

Last edited:

Were you as cold as I was? The ground may have been extended but it's still not a good ground to develop AFL quality players, can't wait till we head back to Moorabbin.

Done a little bit of work at Moorabin oval, the ground itself is in good enough nick but it's just as cold and blustery and it's still a ways off in terms of facilities, plus it's not fenced off to the public.

What's the timeline like in terms of getting it back up to speed and heading back there?

Done a little bit of work at Moorabin oval, the ground itself is in good enough nick but it's just as cold and blustery and it's still a ways off in terms of facilities, plus it's not fenced off to the public.

What's the timeline like in terms of getting it back up to speed and heading back there?

Start of 2017 is the aim at the moment. Was originally 2016 but was delayed for unknown reasons (my guess is the falling through of Junction Oval opened the door to moving back to Moorabbin but we still needed to work out details).

Was Payne playing? If so how did he look?
Did Pierce offer anything up fwd?
Payne didn't get heaps of it, but tends to use it pretty well by foo when he gets it. What I do notice is that he is very mobile. Not tall, or imposing, but moves across the field very very well and has a leap on him. I like him, I'm not sure where he fits going forward, whether it's a Gilbert type running tall defender, or whether its a roaming type Jack Gunstan medium forward.

He is a fair way away from knocking down the door, but if things go right for him there is every chance of him being a decent player for us in the years ahead.

All due respect to Head as he was ok but I'm not quite sure how he gets in the bests, especially when Minchington isnt named.

Article on saints site up now saying Hugh was battling illness, says a lot about the kid. Beaten by a beast of an opponent, dealing with gastro in (at times) woeful conditions - still gets up and about to take a pack mark in the last five minutes of the game when scores are level. As was previously said, today will be an excellent learning experience as he probably hasn't had to play on many guys bigger than him in his career so far.

Only because I'm in a good mood after pinching one off those _uckers - and as a distraction to the pissy baiting that has been going on of late, which generally keeps me away from posting.

1ST

Lee at FB. Bummers have a strong wind adv.

Hickey gives away ruck free (very soft) to Giles who goals from 25.

Hickey again unlucky - this time a mark not paid.

Dmac wins a holding the ball and kicks long for a point.

Hickey a good smother and tackle.

And again with a strong tackle.

Saunders didnt get last week's memo and hb'd when he should have kicked.

Brown gathers a loose ball and streaks away to goal. Ong had kicked to him and has been busy.

Ordinary chase by Eli and bummers goal. Comes off fairly knackered.

Acres going ok as a mid.

Decent spoil by Lee.

Lee oversteps on a kick-in.

Glies scrags Holmes and lets the ruck contest bounce. Ess goal off the ground. Possibly was touched too - zebs not happy.

Brown causing major problems. Wins a free and kicks well into the wind for a goal.

Minch playing. No major stats thus far.

Jwebb slow to come back off the mark and gets pinged for 50. Goal.

Simpkin has been very good but his opp gets a lace out pass and goals.

Was going ok at 13-19 but blew out to 13-32 at the break. Wind not as strong now.

2ND

Head marks well at chb and spots saunders who kicks a pretty ordinary ball i50.

Great by Hickey. Spoils on the wing and gives to Spence who gives back. Hickey then holds the hb for spence again who'd gone oob and he gets, dodges and hits saunders. He hits the post from 40 in front.

Hickey goals from 40 on an angle after bummer runs too far.

Lee good spoil on Pears.

Ong gathers in the pocket, improves the angle and snaps it through.

Another soft ruck free in front of goal to Giles. Pierce this time. The ruck get sucked into giles manhandling, but when they do the same he plays for the free.

Hugh not playing so well today. Went for a mark earlier when he should have spoiled. Now he effectively pushed his opp into the drop of the ball 20m out. Goal.

Acres good in traffic but misses the snap under pressure.

Ong misses kicked on the left from 40 in front.

Eli runs 30m backwards and then kicks 40 backwards and misses Payne badly.

Now TC has Brown wide open at half fwd and butchers the pass horribly.

Tdl marks at 55 and tries to hit Hickey running to the square. But it goes through for a goal!

Acres roves but misses from 10m on his left on a tight angle.

Spence flies and should have marked 30 out.

Hugh really struggles below his knees.

Minchi getting plenty of ball this qtr and he hits brown with a nice pass on the siren. Brown splits the middle from 40.

42-45.

3RD

15 seconds in CJ goals after good work by Minchi, who ducked a tackle and threaded a hb.

Acres a good clearance but it bounces badly for Brown on Gwilt. Gwilt gathers and starts a chain of kicks that ends in a goal.

TC a very ugly attempt to bounce and then is holding the ball.

Acres a fine mark floating over the top on the wing.

Dmac drops a kick-in but recovers well enough.

Lee spoils Jenkins ok.

But it gets over the back the next time (not Lee) and ess goal.

Hickey gathers but his hb under pressure is a bit hot. Ess kick a point.

Holmes outmarked on the wing and then Hugh gets done on the lead. Mckernan (called him jenkins before) misses badly.

Saunders has done a couple of slashing runs off hb. Muffed one kick but hit the next one. Spence misses the set shot.

Holmes gathers and screws the pass badly. But gets another chance and goes well by hand. Brown misses from similar spot to Spence.

Lee passes well and spence takes a contested mark. But plays on and hbs to a hot player for a TO.

Webster gets run down but gets a lucky free. Then throws one and it gets reversed.

Dmac gets it at hb and tdl is on the end of it. Great set shot on the angle for a goal.

Lee does nicely in the air but kicks badly and turns it over. CJ then gets it and switches oof! Ess hit the post.

Jwebb drops a mark without pressure and it costs a goal.

A couple of very good clearing kicks by lee. One is marked by spence at half back but he turns it over.

Hickey takes a top grab on the wing after acres had taken a saving grab. Spence demands it over the back and gets it - and a good shepherd. Threads a nice one on the run just as the siren sounds.

Crucial goal. 62-69 at the last change.

4TH

Good work CJ but TC turns it over again. Lee was unable to spoil pears this time. Goal.

Simpkin shows courage to spoil but ess have the numbers on the ground and goal again.

Good hustling sees TDL intercept and hit brown nicely. Goal.

Spence kicks oof on the run under some pressure.

Wind strong but zebs not able to get run.

Brown marks but misses from 60.

Minchi the intercept in pouring rain and a thumping 55m goal.

Spence sloppy to give away 2 frees in 2 plays on the wing.

But now he just hangs onto a tackle i50. Poor kick for a point.

Hickey marks at 60 but turns it over.

Lee marks well but jwebbs kick is awful.

Another top grab lee.

Gwilt got a crazy lucky free then should have been holding it. But zijai roves and goals!

Lee another grab.

A sensation. Ess goal but the boundary ump heard it touched. Scores level!

Thrilling at both ends.

Wowee. Ess player tries too much and is holding it!!!!!!

SIREN SOUNDS!

Zijai kicks it 53.5m when he needed 53. A point and an amazing win.

Squiz welcome back to you and your marvellous updates. Fantastic

Gilbert hasn't played any footy for 2 years might not play again and Lee has played one good game at VFL level, don't think any of them will be on our list at the end of next year

Was told today Gilbert will play next week at VFL level

AussieRules

After watchiNg Lee for a few years I observe the following

He is not an elite jump... In fact never really seen him take off or take a pack mark
Have you not seen him jump when in the ruck? He can well and truly get up there, that's why he's been trialled in the forward/ruck role at times. He's got some serious spring. If he has no leap and is only medium sized as you have suggested, there's no way in hell we'd have tried him in the ruck. You don't see us trying the likes of Siposs or Murdoch in the ruck and I doubt we'll ever see Markworth in there either, because they actually are more "medium sized" and don't have Lee's spring.

He isn't 194cm
Don't care about listings, they are rubbish
He's shorter than Roo... And barely has Siposs, Markworth and Acres Covered.
I'd say he is right around the 194cm mark. There were articles at the time we picked him up talking about how he'd grown from 191cm to 194cm since he was first drafted by Adelaide and immediately after the draft combine in the year we picked him up he was even described as 195cm in an article, which I presume was taken from his combine measurement, which they do with a laser. A few months later I saw him and White running sprints (and at times walking back side by side, right past me) just a few metres away from me along the boundary line at one of the open training sessions and there was pretty much nothing in it between them height-wise and Spencer is listed at 196cm. Spencer just looked a fraction taller.

I agree that he is not quite as tall as Roo, as I've seen them standing side by side from ground level, but Roo is without a doubt around the 196cm mark, as I've said numerous times before (and I was told he was measured just over 196cm at the club a few months ago as well). As for Markworth, he is without a doubt over 190cm, as pretty much anyone on here who has seen him in the past 12-18 months has said and Acres is listed at 190cm.

Ps
He kicked 16 in 10 games
No, he didn't. He kicked 17 in his 10 games for the year. I was talking about the 8 game stretch he played at the back end of that season, in which he kicked 16 goals, including 3 lots of 3, which you don't do by accident at AFL level, I wouldn't have thought (especially when you've got two shoulders that need reconstructing, a wonky knee and a compartment syndrome type issue in your calf, on top of generally lacking fitness and strength). He did it because he's got some genuine ability and some positive athletic attributes.

It's no surprise to me at all that he's taken a while to get back into good form this season, as he probably lost a heap of confidence in himself after a disastrous 2014 and all the shoulder issues he's had, but I reckon yesterday will be a sign of things to come if he has a good run with his body for the rest of the season. He'd only just be starting to hit his straps again.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't be fooled by where he gets name each week, Savage is far from our best defender. He's a terrific attacking player who plays in the back half.

How would he go at centre half back?

It's great to keep saying you would like to see Newnes and Webster in the backline week in week out but who is going to play at CHB when you drop Fisher?
would be hoping fisher stays fit and plays every game this year and next, we lack ready made chb but have plenty of flankers who are not chb"s. in a couple of years it would be hoped goddard will take over from fish. patience is required for the next two or three years, making bulk changes is not the answer for saints or sandy.

Only because I'm in a good mood after pinching one off those _uckers - and as a distraction to the pissy baiting that has been going on of late, which generally keeps me away from posting.

1ST

Lee at FB. Bummers have a strong wind adv.

Hickey gives away ruck free (very soft) to Giles who goals from 25.

Hickey again unlucky - this time a mark not paid.

Dmac wins a holding the ball and kicks long for a point.

Hickey a good smother and tackle.

And again with a strong tackle.

Saunders didnt get last week's memo and hb'd when he should have kicked.

Brown gathers a loose ball and streaks away to goal. Ong had kicked to him and has been busy.

Ordinary chase by Eli and bummers goal. Comes off fairly knackered.

Acres going ok as a mid.

Decent spoil by Lee.

Lee oversteps on a kick-in.

Glies scrags Holmes and lets the ruck contest bounce. Ess goal off the ground. Possibly was touched too - zebs not happy.

Brown causing major problems. Wins a free and kicks well into the wind for a goal.

Minch playing. No major stats thus far.

Jwebb slow to come back off the mark and gets pinged for 50. Goal.

Simpkin has been very good but his opp gets a lace out pass and goals.

Was going ok at 13-19 but blew out to 13-32 at the break. Wind not as strong now.

2ND

Head marks well at chb and spots saunders who kicks a pretty ordinary ball i50.

Great by Hickey. Spoils on the wing and gives to Spence who gives back. Hickey then holds the hb for spence again who'd gone oob and he gets, dodges and hits saunders. He hits the post from 40 in front.

Hickey goals from 40 on an angle after bummer runs too far.

Lee good spoil on Pears.

Ong gathers in the pocket, improves the angle and snaps it through.

Another soft ruck free in front of goal to Giles. Pierce this time. The ruck get sucked into giles manhandling, but when they do the same he plays for the free.

Hugh not playing so well today. Went for a mark earlier when he should have spoiled. Now he effectively pushed his opp into the drop of the ball 20m out. Goal.

Acres good in traffic but misses the snap under pressure.

Ong misses kicked on the left from 40 in front.

Eli runs 30m backwards and then kicks 40 backwards and misses Payne badly.

Now TC has Brown wide open at half fwd and butchers the pass horribly.

Tdl marks at 55 and tries to hit Hickey running to the square. But it goes through for a goal!

Acres roves but misses from 10m on his left on a tight angle.

Spence flies and should have marked 30 out.

Hugh really struggles below his knees.

Minchi getting plenty of ball this qtr and he hits brown with a nice pass on the siren. Brown splits the middle from 40.

42-45.

3RD

15 seconds in CJ goals after good work by Minchi, who ducked a tackle and threaded a hb.

Acres a good clearance but it bounces badly for Brown on Gwilt. Gwilt gathers and starts a chain of kicks that ends in a goal.

TC a very ugly attempt to bounce and then is holding the ball.

Acres a fine mark floating over the top on the wing.

Dmac drops a kick-in but recovers well enough.

Lee spoils Jenkins ok.

But it gets over the back the next time (not Lee) and ess goal.

Hickey gathers but his hb under pressure is a bit hot. Ess kick a point.

Holmes outmarked on the wing and then Hugh gets done on the lead. Mckernan (called him jenkins before) misses badly.

Saunders has done a couple of slashing runs off hb. Muffed one kick but hit the next one. Spence misses the set shot.

Holmes gathers and screws the pass badly. But gets another chance and goes well by hand. Brown misses from similar spot to Spence.

Lee passes well and spence takes a contested mark. But plays on and hbs to a hot player for a TO.

Webster gets run down but gets a lucky free. Then throws one and it gets reversed.

Dmac gets it at hb and tdl is on the end of it. Great set shot on the angle for a goal.

Lee does nicely in the air but kicks badly and turns it over. CJ then gets it and switches oof! Ess hit the post.

Jwebb drops a mark without pressure and it costs a goal.

A couple of very good clearing kicks by lee. One is marked by spence at half back but he turns it over.

Hickey takes a top grab on the wing after acres had taken a saving grab. Spence demands it over the back and gets it - and a good shepherd. Threads a nice one on the run just as the siren sounds.

Crucial goal. 62-69 at the last change.

4TH

Good work CJ but TC turns it over again. Lee was unable to spoil pears this time. Goal.

Simpkin shows courage to spoil but ess have the numbers on the ground and goal again.

Good hustling sees TDL intercept and hit brown nicely. Goal.

Spence kicks oof on the run under some pressure.

Wind strong but zebs not able to get run.

Brown marks but misses from 60.

Minchi the intercept in pouring rain and a thumping 55m goal.

Spence sloppy to give away 2 frees in 2 plays on the wing.

But now he just hangs onto a tackle i50. Poor kick for a point.

Hickey marks at 60 but turns it over.

Lee marks well but jwebbs kick is awful.

Another top grab lee.

Gwilt got a crazy lucky free then should have been holding it. But zijai roves and goals!

Lee another grab.

A sensation. Ess goal but the boundary ump heard it touched. Scores level!

Thrilling at both ends.

Wowee. Ess player tries too much and is holding it!!!!!!

SIREN SOUNDS!

Zijai kicks it 53.5m when he needed 53. A point and an amazing win.
YAY! This thread just got a thousand times better! Special thanks, because I know how hard it is for you type all that detail on little keys on a FREAKING FREEZING day at TB Oval.

YAY! This thread just got a thousand times better! Special thanks, because I know how hard it is for you type all that detail on little keys on a FREAKING FREEZING day at TB Oval.

Well don't take my word for it. (edit - note earlier posting by dewah)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=XrFbiuXsgno&app=desktop

Without wanting to be a tool about it (albeit sometimes this comes naturally), this is the sort of stuff that can be sourced AND SHARED by anyone - along with:

http://m.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/zebras-win-onepoint-thriller-against-essendon-20150419-1mof7m.html

"Sandy, with the breeze at their back, showed enormous resilience to hit back hard when it mattered most. Mitch Brown, an ex-Cat and temporary Bomber over the off-season, kicked his fourth and soon after Darren Minchington's booming kick reduced the margin to a goal.

Sandringham's come-from-behind victory seemed a fait accompli given the momentum shift strongly created by Tom Lee's superb drive from defence and Clint Jones' usual hard work in the clinches."

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-04-19/zebras-triumph-in-a-thriller

"It was a great win for the boys," Hudson told SAINTS.com.au.

"I was so pleased we were able to hold them up defensively towards the end and grind out the win in challenging conditions.

"Tom Lee was terrific down back, as was Hugh Goddard who had pushed through a bout of gastro. That just shows the character of a young man in his first year of senior football."

http://www.sandringhamfc.com.au/news.aspx?id=360

After falling behind further early in the last, Sandringham again clawed their way back into the contest. They hit the lead as the game ticked into time on when Zijai snapped around the body for a goal.

After holding out an Essendon bombardment, Zijai stepped up again, winning a dropping the ball decision just seconds before the siren to set up a game-winning shot.

Clinton Jones was sensational in midfield, collecting 25 touches and laying nine tackles. Darren Minchington (19 touches, eight tackles and a goal), Josh Saunders (21 touches) off halfback and Yllber Zijai (15 touches, eight tackles and a goal) were among a chorus of Zebra players who helped claw back the margin.

Mitch Brown was a stand out on debut, kicking four goals and clunking eight marks.

Tom Lee continued his impressive development as a key defender, beating his opponent and failing to concede a contested mark.

And Paul Hudson's usually superb player reviews.

If people make just a little effort in this regard for the benefit of others, and give the silly s**t on the board a rest, then others might be encouraged.

edit (again) - I'd post the Daily Filth report, but this is so biased towards the bummers (it's like they are trying to make up with them of late with complete puff - I'd call it the Daily Bummer but possibly this name is already taken) it's not worth reading including how great their players were, how it was only Essendon's mistakes that let Sandringham back into the game (errr ... the gale-force wind???). And how "much-hyped St Kilda-listed forward Spencer White kicked a contentious goal" (forgetting that there was an apparent touched ball given a goal to the bummers earlier in the game). And this gem "Former Essendon NAB Challenge top-up player Mitch Brown was the standout for the home side".

Last edited:
Simpkin played his normal ferocious game. Was sent into the middle a couple of times as an onballer to "get some physicality into the contest" the coaches said. He sure does that - just fearless . Caused a couple of train wreck collisions. He just doesn't get enough of the ball.

Thanks, hopefully he gets a chance to pay seniors again this year. Maybe they could reinvent him. I like his mettle...

So Tom Lee has played one good game down back at VFL level and he is penciled in as an AFL backman...?

Sounds like we missed out big time not putting Brown on our rookie list, he would probably be playing in the ones at the moment.

How did big Spencer go today?

Also, how did Webster look? Is his fitness up to scratch to come straight back or could he do with another run?
I think Lee has played a few good games back there. And while it certainly doesnt maketh the AFL backman, we might as well trial him. We are going to finish bottom 3 anyway.
No point being being left wondering. We need to be looking fwd not trying to re-live 2010 'almost' glory.
As for Webster - looks like he needs another run - but we rushed Nate Wright back as a Sub.

I think Lee has played a few good games back there. And while it certainly doesnt maketh the AFL backman, we might as well trial him. We are going to finish bottom 3 anyway.
No point being being left wondering. We need to be looking fwd not trying to re-live 2010 'almost' glory.
As for Webster - looks like he needs another run - but we rushed Nate Wright back as a Sub.

Or maybe Lee won't make it, it's happened once before.

Hope he does mind you, but it's looking like Bruce has his spot for now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back