Injury Ben Reid - is back at training

Remove this Banner Ad

It's obviously worse than "superficial".

At this point, we should definitely be preparing, planning, structuring our side as if Reid doesn't exist.
I agree with the second point, we simply can't rely on him, but until the scans come back even Reid wouldn't know how bad it is, and he's probably in a pretty negative head space at the moment, so that's where the comment came from.

I'd expect him back in the VFL in 2-3 weeks, but that means as far as senior selection goes it's a 4-6 week setback.

Yeah some serious overreaction going on. You'd think we were on the BF Collingwood board .

Yep, what is up with people?

If you watched Buckley on 360, he's body language (and words) clearly indicated that he wasn't worried.

Can we please change the thread title to "Ben Reid has a corkie :)"

It's obviously worse than "superficial".

At this point, we should definitely be preparing, planning, structuring our side as if Reid doesn't exist.

It is not obviously worse than superficial. It may ultimately be shown to be more than superficial but at this stage nothing the club or Reid has said would lead to your 'obvious' conclusion.

Take a deep breath, a Bex, and have a good lay down.

Last edited:
Haha. This is ****ed up. No way Reid will play this week, injury scare or not. At any level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wayne Arnold I can't really disagree much with your post.

What I would say though is that I think it's grossly unfair to generalize on what posters thoughts might be. For instance I can justify the outgoing moves we've made its the incoming moves that have shitted me off (not the thread for it though)!

We need to deal in known quantities and one of those is that a 4 year deal for Ben Reid was silly so how do we fix things moving forward? Is it a case of do we trade him and cash in on the value that still remains or come at it from a completely different angle? I have a toe in the trade corner mainly because of the doubts I have on our sports science team.

Despite my belief that he's injury prone it's one that I've held for half a dozen years and I'm confident Reid can get back out there to some degree and maybe put together another 50-60 games. That confidence is just not with us...

Edit: Buckley's tweet, whilst fantastic news, raises some questions re Reid's comments to Stevens.

I'm sick of this.. Dawes requested to be traded ffs. He didn't want to stay at the club.
Oh yummy! Another Dawes' thread!!

giphy.gif

I'd just play him one more game as sub to ensure he gets to 100 for father son :p
Way ahead of you there...

Make him the sub for a game. At least then he'll have his 100 games and we can look forward to seeing his son perpetually getting injured in 20 years :drunk:

What I would say though is that I think it's grossly unfair to generalize on what posters thoughts might be. For instance I can justify the outgoing moves we've made its the incoming moves that have shitted me off (not the thread for it though)!

We need to deal in known quantities and one of those is that a 4 year deal for Ben Reid was silly so how do we fix things moving forward? Is it a case of do we trade him and cash in on the value that still remains or come at it from a completely different angle? I have a toe in the trade corner mainly because of the doubts I have on our sports science team.

Despite my belief that he's injury prone it's one that I've held for half a dozen years and I'm confident Reid can get back out there to some degree and maybe put together another 50-60 games. That confidence is just not with us...

Edit: Buckley's tweet, whilst fantastic news, raises some questions re Reid's comments to Stevens.

Decisions regarding contracts are always easy in hindsight. Decision to sign Reid despite injury concerns silly, decision not to sign StevieJ due to injury concerns silly. You win some you lose some.

Suns (or someone else) will sign Ablett despite his shoulder. We signed Swan up for more years despite his age and series of injuries/operations.

With free trade you want to lock up your best talent, and Reid is this, to long term deals. I will not be criticising the Club for the four year deal regardless of how it turns out. Plenty of water to skill flow under the bridge.

In all seriousness though, I felt like spewing up when I wacthed Buckley talk about a "nicked" quad for Reidy. I simply cannot believe his bad luck with soft tissue injuries. Poor Reidy must be a bit of a headcase and at his Jarrod Witts end wondering what he has to do.

At least Bucks did say he'll be back probably next week, training and building towards full fitness. He just left out the bit where full fitness for Reidy is August 2016.
and given bucks normaly eerrrs on the side of caution to give a specific date is a good sign

@_AMcCormack: Nathan Buckley says the club is looking at Ben Reid returning for the 2nd half of the season but they have "no time frame" outlined

Fair enough.

As for what to do now? I would wait another couple of months to see if he actually strings more than three or four games together, be that VFL or AFL. I think if he can, the club will keep him and believe that things are turning the corner. If he's injured for the majority of the year I would consider trading him but doubt we'd get much value. However, I would still consider trading him on compassionate grounds; not really much of a football/business decision. If he wants to get out of Collingwood and away from our quality fitness/rehabilitation team to start afresh elsewhere, then I would seek to get a reasonable pick (prob late second rounder at best) from whoever he wished to go to.

On a more serious note, I honestly hope Collingwood has put a games threshold or something of the kind into Reid's contract. Right now we're paying 500k+ (roughly) to a guy who hasnt been on the park in almost 2 years. Big dent of a salary that could drop us bringing in a quality player or being able to keep one. I really hope theres some renegotiating going.
and Goldcoast are paying over 1 million for a player who hasn't played.. it sucks but it's the reality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back