Training 2024 training updates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t have a great feeling about Murph unfortunately ☹️

I personally believe the club is making sure the fans adjust to his absence before announcing the worst. Happy to be wrong.
I don't think the club would be holding off on our account.

It's Murphy's decision.

If you watched today's VFL game, you would realise how good Long is.
I watched the game he was good. Remembering of course that JC was playing an entirely different position so direct comparison wasn’t possible.

I think the main difference based on past games with JC as a mid is that Long is a better decision maker and safer with his disposal.

The way I see it, after the bounce, our midfield is really the three who started at the centre bounce plus one pushes up into the midfield from defence as does one forward - plus the wings. So 4 different midfield roles really. But even then there's 3 different roles in the centre square.

There are some who only play centre bounce - Mitchell and Finn. Some who can play a couple of different roles - Pendles - behind the pack or centre bounce. Lippa - mainly ahead of the pack, but can play centre bounce and on the wing. Jordy forward and centre bounce. Nick who plays 3. Crisp they use in all 4 from time to time - including wing, but mainly behind the ball and centre bounce. Plus the small forwards sometimes play Lippas role or wing. Sidey and Josh mainly just wing.

It's a flexible group. But if you can only play one of the roles - you've got to nail it or it's tough to get a game. As many of them play their best from the centre square.
I think this highlights really well the need for patience on some guys coming through. Let’s take Demattia and your suggestion he’d be groomed to replace Crisp long term. That’s 4 different roles he needs to learn, a different mindset within each role and different movement patterns. The versatility of Crisp is insane (Yeo being the only other I can think of that offers it) and it means the badger will take time to transition into a mid role if he even gets there. It also probably sheds some light on why we’re seeing so much growth in Frampton’s game this year. It’s possible he wasn’t cut out to get the best out of himself across multiple roles and needed that stability to thrive.

Last edited:

If Ned Long has nominated for the MSD, he probably won't get through to us.
Can someone tell me if is it possible for us to add a player from our VFL list if an AFL listed player goes on the LTI list (Murphy)?

Can someone tell me if is it possible for us to add a player from our VFL list if an AFL listed player goes on the LTI list (Murphy)?
It isn’t and I wouldn’t be getting too caught up in it anyway. Long right now if he were on our list might sit somewhere around 30 on the depth chart, he’d be behind Macrae who’s struggling to get a look in, we haven’t seen Demattia yet and he’s not one I’d be banking on to have a long term career. Get around him if he makes it on to our list, but like Hutchinson I wouldn’t bother getting too attached to him for now.

doesn't work that way. Just means you'll have a MSD pick and you still have to go through the draft and hope said player is there.

Given how things have played out over the the last few months, it was inevitable that Murph would decide to retire.
His incredible courage has been a double edged sword.
Thanks for the memories Murph, you are a star!

Does Sofrinidis now become a viable option for midseason draft?

Do any of the VFL watchers think he can make it?
Not so sure.

We have Moore, frampton (who’s only going
To improve with confidence), dean, eyre, then jiath. Sof isn’t really a 2nd tall kind of player. He has looked good in limited time he’s played however.

Not to mention Maynards capacity to play on smalls or talls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes as supporters, we have blind spots to certain players and unrealistic expectations of others.
I think I might have blind spots when it comes to Carmichael and Sofrinidis - I just don't see how they make us better. I'm not convinced on McCrae either, but get it that I'm in the minority with this opinion.

Sometimes as supporters, we have blind spots to certain players and unrealistic expectations of others.
I think I might have blind spots when it comes to Carmichael and Sofrinidis - I just don't see how they make us better. I'm not convinced on McCrae either, but get it that I'm in the minority with this opinion.
I’m not so sure it’s the minority. I think his supporters and detractors are vocal with the ebb and flow of his career. The supporters are vocal at a time such as this when he’s outside the best 23 and detractors vocal usually after his senior performances when he hasn’t done much.

I’m in your camp and don’t really see it, but I’m open to being proved wrong. Gut feel on him making it is that he needs to lift his running game because I don’t think his stoppage craft is anything special at the top level. I thought we saw that running improve through the pre-season just not enough on the basis of his year to date.

I’m not so sure it’s the minority. I think his supporters and detractors are vocal with the ebb and flow of his career. The supporters are vocal at a time such as this when he’s outside the best 23 and detractors vocal usually after his senior performances when he hasn’t done much.

I’m in your camp and don’t really see it, but I’m open to being proved wrong. Gut feel on him making it is that he needs to lift his running game because I don’t think his stoppage craft is anything special at the top level. I thought we saw that running improve through the pre-season just not enough on the basis of his year to date.
Per bolded - We don't have anyone in the VFL side who's been proven on that metric.
And we don't get a definitive answer until Fin or others get a block of games in the AFL.

Per bolded - We don't have anyone in the VFL side who's been proven on that metric.
And we don't get a definitive answer until Fin or others get a block of games in the AFL.
We don’t, but that doesn’t mean he’s any more or less likely to make it at the top level. Take Mitchell these days a good, not great, stoppage player at AFL level. If he were playing VFL footy he’d average 15 clearances a game. Fin’s brother is now a rotation mid and was absolutely dominant at VFL level a few weeks back. The step up for these guys is massive which is why it takes time, but Fin’s not going to be able to rely on a strong VFL stoppage game at the next level because it’s not enough.

Long’s putting up matching numbers and was cut last year by the Hawks despite having a significantly better athletic profile. Macrae needs that other string to his bow in order to elevate his game and lock in a best 23 spot. It’s the main reason I bought in over the pre-season, but he’s lost it the past month.

Training: Tuesday April 16th.

A delayed start this morning obviously with the Murphy news, but it started at 10am and finished by 11:30 or a bit afterward, so your usual 1 1/2 hr session during game week.

Rehab group:

Eyre
DeMattia
Ryan

* Josh Eyre started with some running, then began some drills, some line group work with the defenders (it's the first time since his injury) and some fundamental drills, then went back and did a big running block for the rest of the session. So slowly.

* Harry actually completed most of the drills through the session. He looked really advanced, but then didn't participate in match play, but did some agility and running work

* First time on the track since his hand injury, Jakob Ryan started some agility and running as he starts his rehab as he waits for the injury to heal.

Absentees:

Steene
McStay
Kreuger

Those that played VFL on Sunday, only spent about 45 mins on the track, they went inside before the seniors did some match play. Probably understandably given they did play 48hrs ago, and would need to focus more on recovery before thurs main session.

But before that happened, they went through some ground balls drills, line group drills; some work with ball movement. The usual fundamental stuff as well.
The boys looked good.

Pendles completed the whole session without issue, so I reckon he'll get the tick of approval. Didn't seem to be any pain during any of the drills.

Nigel on FB Side by Side page...
TRAINING THURSDAY 18th APRIL:- A rather cool morning for training today. Around 15°, overcast and a gentle breeze. Training got underway at 9.30am. Just the usual players in rehab which were Nathan Kreuger, Josh Eyre, Dan McStay, Harry Di Mattea and Jakob Ryan. As expected there was no sign of Oscar Steene. Kreuger was moving very well and must be getting close to resuming playing. Harry did a few of the drills and actually played on the match sim although he was wearing the blue cap which means no tackling. Hopefully he will resume playing in 2-3 weeks. Good news was Pendlebury completed the full session including the whole match sim and he looked fine. He did do a short test but nothing major before rejoining the main group. I guess they will see how he pulls up but I would expect him to be playing on a Saturday. He was doing some midfield drills at the end of the session so I’d expect that is where they intend playing him rather than half back. Interesting that Harvey Harrison was in the black jumper today. He could be a chance to play but Fly wasn’t giving much away in his press conference so not sure about that. The players went into a huddle at the start of the session and I think it was a happy birthday for someone. They seemed to be quite pumped up when the started the session. There were the usual exercises followed by handballing drills. And once again they all took part in the handball and tackling exercise in the 30m x 10m area in teams of 8 players. I thought Nick Daicos, Tom Mitchell, De Goey and Bobby Hill were the best in the handballing while Mitchell, Beau McCreery and Harvey Harrison laid some awesome tackles. They also practiced bringing the ball out of the backline quickly then a long kick to players on the spread. That looked really good so let’s hope they bring that to the game on Saturday. After a short break there was a match sim with 2 AFL umpires officiating. Most in the black team were the regular seniors but included Harvey Harrison, while the white team had (from memory) Quaynor, Lipinski, Cox and Fin Macrae. I was really impressed with Tew Jiath’s game. He is really starting to show he has what it takes. Ned Long was very good again. He’s big and strong and knows how to win the ball. Unless the recruiters have their eye on another player in the mid-season draft that we don’t know about, let’s hope we can pick Ned up. Joe Richards had another good game too. He’s very clever and reads the play well. Just wish he was a bit bigger. Darcy Cameron took a couple of strong pack marks. And so did Darcy Moore. De Goey featured prominently as usual and Josh Daicos too. Pendles played in the midfield and got quite a bit of the ball. After the game most players had goal kicking practice while the entire midfield of about 10 players practiced different set moves. They are really going to need to be on their toes on Saturday against Port’s midfield. Players had mostly left the field by 11.30am. It was a very good session overall. I don’t think there will be any changes this week from the Hawthorn game. I notice Mason Cox’s parents arriving with their suitcases at the end of training. They are staying for the ANZAC game which is good because we have a good winning record when they are here. Coxy usually has a good game too when they are in the stands. Go Pies. 👍💪💪

Nigel on FB Side by Side page...
TRAINING THURSDAY 18th APRIL:- A rather cool morning for training today. Around 15°, overcast and a gentle breeze. Training got underway at 9.30am. Just the usual players in rehab which were Nathan Kreuger, Josh Eyre, Dan McStay, Harry Di Mattea and Jakob Ryan. As expected there was no sign of Oscar Steene. Kreuger was moving very well and must be getting close to resuming playing. Harry did a few of the drills and actually played on the match sim although he was wearing the blue cap which means no tackling. Hopefully he will resume playing in 2-3 weeks. Good news was Pendlebury completed the full session including the whole match sim and he looked fine. He did do a short test but nothing major before rejoining the main group. I guess they will see how he pulls up but I would expect him to be playing on a Saturday. He was doing some midfield drills at the end of the session so I’d expect that is where they intend playing him rather than half back. Interesting that Harvey Harrison was in the black jumper today. He could be a chance to play but Fly wasn’t giving much away in his press conference so not sure about that. The players went into a huddle at the start of the session and I think it was a happy birthday for someone. They seemed to be quite pumped up when the started the session. There were the usual exercises followed by handballing drills. And once again they all took part in the handball and tackling exercise in the 30m x 10m area in teams of 8 players. I thought Nick Daicos, Tom Mitchell, De Goey and Bobby Hill were the best in the handballing while Mitchell, Beau McCreery and Harvey Harrison laid some awesome tackles. They also practiced bringing the ball out of the backline quickly then a long kick to players on the spread. That looked really good so let’s hope they bring that to the game on Saturday. After a short break there was a match sim with 2 AFL umpires officiating. Most in the black team were the regular seniors but included Harvey Harrison, while the white team had (from memory) Quaynor, Lipinski, Cox and Fin Macrae. I was really impressed with Tew Jiath’s game. He is really starting to show he has what it takes. Ned Long was very good again. He’s big and strong and knows how to win the ball. Unless the recruiters have their eye on another player in the mid-season draft that we don’t know about, let’s hope we can pick Ned up. Joe Richards had another good game too. He’s very clever and reads the play well. Just wish he was a bit bigger. Darcy Cameron took a couple of strong pack marks. And so did Darcy Moore. De Goey featured prominently as usual and Josh Daicos too. Pendles played in the midfield and got quite a bit of the ball. After the game most players had goal kicking practice while the entire midfield of about 10 players practiced different set moves. They are really going to need to be on their toes on Saturday against Port’s midfield. Players had mostly left the field by 11.30am. It was a very good session overall. I don’t think there will be any changes this week from the Hawthorn game. I notice Mason Cox’s parents arriving with their suitcases at the end of training. They are staying for the ANZAC game which is good because we have a good winning record when they are here. Coxy usually has a good game too when they are in the stands. Go Pies. 👍💪💪
Good to hear about Mr & Mrs Cox's arrival.. because yes, Mason typically does have good games when they're in attendance.

Training: Main Session - April 18th.

Absentees:

Steene

Rehab:

• Eyre
- He continued his progression with more running, then some kick to kick with Mcstay and Ryan. Was involved in some of the early drills, that didn't involve too much pressure or ground balls. But the kicking drill they do every session, he was a partipant in that.

• McStay - Similar to Eyre, did some running.
  • Ryan - Running freely, minus the hand support. Some agility work, running and kicking drills. Just needs to build up his conditioning.

• Kreuger - Did a bit less than the others, but some intense running and agility work. He is the closest to return, so its just about building up his conditioning before he goes into full training (next week, I assume)

Harry DeMattia told fans post session he would be back next week, and that was clear when he completed the whole session, even match play -- even though he wore the blue no contact cap. He did everything, and looked to be travelling well. Looking forward to him playing some footy.

Ned Long was also a participant this morning as I figured he would be, given he wasn't at VFL training last night. Whether it was true or not, I was told he would be training with the seniors at every session.
Usually when he trains with us, he trains in the midfield and plays there in match play; and while he did train with the midfielders, he was deployed in the forwardline during match sim. Which a different change for him.

Match sim teams:

Defence: (Black)
  • Frampton
  • Moore
  • Noble
  • Frampton
  • Howe
  • Nick D

v

Forwards (white)

• Carmy
  • Long
  • Johnson
  • Richards
  • Bytel
  • Beau

Forwards (black)

• Checkers
  • Reef
  • Schultz
  • HH
  • Hill
  • Jamie

Defence (white)

• TJ
  • Markov
  • Parker
  • IQ
  • Harry
  • Dean

Midfield (Black)

• Pendles
  • Crisp
  • Jordy
  • JDaicos (wing)
  • Sidey (wing)
  • Cox

Midfield (white)
  • Mitchell
  • Lippa
  • Sullivan
  • Allan (wing)
  • Fin (Wing)
  • Begg

• Crisp and Nick rotated between back and mid
  • Fin rotated with mitchell and sometimes Sullivan between wing and inside mid
  • WHE was on the bench and played forward it appeared.
  • Long forward and wing/mid

When leaving training, I bumped into Mr and Mrs Cox, who are here for the next month. We know that Cox plays well when his parents are in town so hopefully this is a good omen.

What I noticed was that the vibes were up from the very start. Lots of energy, banter and talking.

Lippa played through the midfield, which is where they seem to be heading with him. Mid and wing. Bit of forward. Versatile.

They got to work on the pressure game early on as well. Some goal kicking, working on the simple things. The more you do something, the better you get, that's what they say, yeah? So hopefully this past week being able to train and nail down these fundamentals will help going forward, after the bye and they had time to refresh.

They will get their chance next year, this year we still have our legends playing for one big tilt again. Fin will benefit just as much from a block in the VFL. They don't just turn up and play VFL like they do in the bush, they will have instructions and expectations with every VFL game they play

We as supporters might not, but the coaches will be watching his stoppage work closely at training when he's playing with and against quality AFL mids.

My limited view is that Mitchell isn't his real competition in terms of stoppage. He's not really a ball hunter - Pendles more defensive back of the back role is where he's more suited. Cover off the outlets, distribute by hand and run the lines from there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back