Review vs West Coast @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys just on Acres at Wa academy testing a couple of years ago got tested at 2.85 for 20 metres which is elite.
Watching him play for west perth colts he would often burn of players with his pace.
2.85 is seriously elite and I wouldn't have guessed that at all having seen him play a bunch of times now, but perhaps he's lost a touch of that pace since he's bulked up. He does have good toe though, when he really puts his foot down.

Happy to say another game another step in the right direction. Good fight back from the team.

Thought Sinclair, Acres & Templeton (albeit didn't get too much ball) showed some of their ability. I loved the moment when acres burst through the pack and the other time when he evaded two eagles to deliver a ball to bruce or was it sinclair?? (someone, they unfortunately missed their shot).

Hickey is better than that, but noone plays good every game,.... expect for maybe Len Dog and Harvey :):):).

Membrey was good too.

Shame about the Injuries, they may hurt us, hopefully Roo and Lonie are fit next week, let's also hope we get to see a Lee or Goddard in for Fisher.

Go Saints, good to watch Quarters 2 and 3:):):)

Happy to say another game another step in the right direction. Good fight back from the team.

Thought Sinclair, Acres & Templeton (albeit didn't get too much ball) showed some of their ability. I loved the moment when acres burst through the pack and the other time when he evaded two eagles to deliver a ball to bruce or was it sinclair?? (someone, they unfortunately missed their shot).

Hickey is better than that, but noone plays good every game,.... expect for maybe Len Dog and Harvey :):):).

Membrey was good too.

Shame about the Injuries, they may hurt us, hopefully Roo and Lonie are fit next week, let's also hope we get to see a Lee or Goddard in for Fisher.

Acres kicked it to Sinclair, but from where I was watching it looked like he didn't much control over where the ball was kicked. A bit lucky I'd say but he did really well to get a kick off at all.

Membrey was good too.

Quarter 3 was awful, we let them kick 7.2 for the quarter :eek:

Acres kicked it to Sinclair, but from where I was watching it looked like he didn't much control over where the ball was kicked. A bit lucky I'd say but he did really well to get a kick off at all.

True, but that said, he did fumble the ball in the first place which is why he had to put the jets on to get away from those two. Fumbled 3 times for the day, which I think is very unlike him. I think that's probably what happens when you feel like you have to make every touch count or you'll be back in the VFL again next week.

Blake BontemAcres
It's funny you should mention that because I was very keen on Bontempelli from the time I first saw him playing in the champs in his draft year (at the time he wasn't considered anything like a top pick, as he had done little in the TAC Cup to that point and only really had one good quarter in the champs games I saw him play) but just the way he moved across the ground really caught my eye and made me think he had something special about him and it's a similar deal with Blake.

As I've said previously, if their draft year circumstances were reversed (ie. if Bont had gotten injured when Acres did and missed the champs and the rest of the year- where he played by far his best footy, while Acres had gone through uninjured and had tested at the combine fully fit) it could very easily have been Blake going top 5 or 6 (if he reproduced his lead-up WAFL colts form at the champs and/or in the WAFL seniors or ressies, later in the year and if he then tested anything like he did earlier in the year, at the combine) and Bont going late teens or even in the 20's or 30's.

Not saying he's now going to be as good as the Bont, as he has done it at senior AFL level to a very high level already, but their draft order could have been approximately reversed had it been the Bont getting injured and Blake not.

Last edited:
2.85 is seriously elite and I wouldn't have guessed that at all having seen him play a bunch of times now, but perhaps he's lost a touch of that pace since he's bulked up. He does have good toe though, when he really puts his foot down.

What I have noticed is he's slow off the first couple of steps but he seems to motor when he's going. Steven is the opposite where he seems to hit peak speed from his first step. That passage of play where he ran between two Eagles made him look fast but doesn't seem to go to quickly in the ball up and when he's starting from standing still.

It's funny you should mention that because I was very keen on Bontempelli from the time I first saw him playing in the champs in his draft year (at the time he wasn't considered anything like a top pick, as he had done little in the TAC Cup to that point and only really had one good quarter in the champs games I saw him play) but just the way he moved across the ground really caught my eye and made me think he had something special about him and it's a similar deal with Blake.

As I've said previously, if their draft year circumstances were reversed (ie. if Bont had gotten injured when Acres did and missed the champs and the rest of the year- where he played by far his best footy, while Acres had gone through uninjured and had tested at the combine fully fit) it could very easily have been Blake going top 5 or 6 and Bont going late teens or even in the 20's or 30's.

Me too I was all over him but thought he'd end up going about pick 12 so we would miss out. He looked amazing in the champs. I loved the Dal Santo link too. Then I started to think he might grow too big for a mid too small for a KP and be a sort of Andreas Everett type.

I really liked Scharenberg and Kade Koladnashnij too, it was an incredible draft that one, so many potential superstars.

Me too I was all over him but thought he'd end up going about pick 12 so we would miss out. He looked amazing in the champs. I loved the Dal Santo link too. Then I started to think he might grow too big for a mid too small for a KP and be a sort of Andreas Everett type.

I really liked Scharenberg and Kade Koladnashnij too, it was an incredible draft that one, so many potential superstars.
I really thought Bont only played one good quarter in those two televised games (the last quarter of the last game), but the way he moved just really caught my eye prior to that quarter and made me think he had something special about him that most others don't have and I get a similar feeling watching Blake move/glide around a footy field.

Scharenberg was bloody good and very professional, very much like a Sam Fisher general-type, across HB, who just wouldn't make a mistake and who did something with pretty much every touch he had. I also liked the look of Lennon up forward for Metro and of course Billings beside him and Kelly in the midfield. Aish was meh. Caleb Daniel and Lewie Taylor terrific.

Last edited:
I really thought Bont only played one good quarter in those two televised games (the last quarter of the last game), but the way he moved just really caught my eye prior to that quarter and made me think he had something special about him that most others don't have and I get a similar feeling watching Blake move/glide around a footy field.

Scharenberg was bloody good and very professional, very much like a Sam Fisher general-type, across HB, who just wouldn't make a mistake and who did something with pretty much every touch he had. I also liked the look of Lennon up forward for Metro and of course Billings beside him and Kelly in the midfield. Aish was meh. Caleb Daniel and Lewie Taylor terrific.

I might be remembering him in a better light than the reality then. I was talking him up on SS afterwards though. He looked flashy from memory and was hitting the ball at full pace and moving it really well.

Scharenberg I watched the year before for SA with Colquhoun running along side him (a year before his draft year). He looked better than most of the draft agers. He will be a beauty if he gets the body right. They lucked out so far with him and Freeman who seems too quick for his hamstrings. I liked that kid the dogs got too Honeychurch. He looked a bargain. Lennon goes well too. Daniel was the guy I wanted instead of Lonie but very glad we got Lonie. He has the best forward line pressure in the team already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys just on Acres at Wa academy testing a couple of years ago got tested at 2.85 for 20 metres which is elite.
Watching him play for west perth colts he would often burn of players with his pace.

finally some common sense RE: acres

criminal that he hasnt been playing full games. absolutely criminal

Just a few random thoughts for what its worth .....

Lee's done his apprenticeship. It's time to see if he can make it as a defender, especially considering the state of our defence.
I'd really like a few players to start getting a solid block of games to see if they're up to it. Not just one bad game and you're out mate. I'm talking about the likes of Acres, Lee, Minchington, Ross, Membrey etc. Even Spencer. How will you ever know unless you have the confidence to give them 5-6 games at least. It's not exactly going to cost us a spot in the eight.

I also know that there's a lot of love for Longer on this board bur seriously I think he's pretty ordinary. I'd much sooner see them give Hickey his chance to bed down the number one ruck possie. Like someone else has already said, Longer is a poor man's Kosi. I think Hickey is a much better option looking forward.

I'd consider bringing Faz in to give us some run of half back too. I'm not sure what to make of the whole Wright/Curren/Webster scenario. Are we looking at them with rose coloured glasses ?

McCartin isn't ready. Let him learn his craft at Sandy this year. Maybe give him a couple of games late in the year just to whet his appetite for next year.

But above all.... start Acres on the ground and freakn leave him there !

I love how we fight back. We haven't really thrown in the towel at any stage this season, although late parts of this game, and v Coll & Carl were uncompetitive. But by the 2nd half on Saturday we were down Geary, Delaney, Fisher and Webster from the defence, either not playing or injured in game.

Josh Bruce's mark beating two players and then the kick to Sinclair was jaw-droppingly good. Bruce may be our best deep key forward since Fraser Gehrig RIGHT NOW. Apologies to the bloke sitting two rows behind me on Saturday (Kosi).

When we apply pressure and move the ball quickly we can be a very good side.

I love how we fight back. We haven't really thrown in the towel at any stage this season, although late parts of this game, and v Coll & Carl were uncompetitive. But by the 2nd half on Saturday we were down Geary, Delaney, Fisher and Webster from the defence, either not playing or injured in game.

Josh Bruce's mark beating two players and then the kick to Sinclair was jaw-droppingly good. Bruce may be our best deep key forward since Fraser Gehrig RIGHT NOW. Apologies to the bloke sitting two rows behind me on Saturday (Kosi).

When we apply pressure and move the ball quickly we can be a very good side.

Yeah we are really getting some special traits developed at the moment. Every little win is a bit more confidence gained. The Dogs losing that game to us seems to have derailed their self belief. If we keep winning these games we walk a little taller each time. It is the fastest way back from the bottom.

i really hope so

if he doesnt, you have to wonder wtf is going on

thing is we don't know what's going on. a lot of it is mental (see white), so maybe it's a deliberate strategy for Blake?

From the outside things look simple, but we don't know what is really going on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back