Opinion The Official Brad Scott Thread - Back, at the club (Relax - bumped thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

:stern tic
Yeah somehow Wild Bills sees a stern look, which of course is a serious sort of look devoid of not much facial movement and makes the quantum leap that it's a nervous tic. I'm dealing with an intellectual giant here ye. :stern look

Dear Brad

I am writing this with the expectation that you are an avid watcher of the North Big Footy board and your personalized thread in particular. As you would well be aware, the brethren and sistren are divided in their views on your performance this year.

Personally, I regard you as a good coach, who has been a terrific advocate and servant of the club since signing on board in 2010. However, I don't yet feel you have reached the level of being described as a great coach, which is the level you must reach to become a premiership coach at Arden Street in the coming years.

Although I have never formally coached a football team, I have been a lifelong footy lover and analyst and I am a coach of sorts by profession. So, for what they are worth (a packet of Twisties and a bag of mixed lollies perhaps) I would like to offer my suggestions for taking you to the next level as a football coach.

As I often work in conflict situations, I will use this as a convenient source of analogy. In your time as coach, you have worked impressively to build the foundations for a tilt at the top. You have developed a united squad with healthy comraderie, a strong culture, and good character traits. However, there are questions as to whether this North squad of 2015 is sufficiently prepared for the battle on the field.

There is more than enough evidence that this transition from developing side into premiership contender is not going as hoped or predicted. In my mind, there are two major underlying issues, and they are not the fixture and our injuries, despite being a factor in our current 12th placed predicament. The major concerns are two of the foundations you have shown unwavering, but excessive, faith in: roles and structures.

In terms of roles, you are clearly coaching the players to perform defined tasks, to play their role. WIthout saying this is invalid, there is always a risk of turning the human into the automaton, the rigid functionary in the machine. The danger is that the configuration of the machine can start to take on more importance than its performance. The argument that a football side requires certain players to play certain roles is clear, evident in the importance of the mobile ruckman, the contested midfielder, the rebounding half back, and so on. At the same time, the adherence to determining the composition of a side based on role playing can dull the unique abilities of players through an over-emphasis on ‘role’. It can also undermine that other critical component – the in-form footballer bringing their quality to the team. This appears out of kilter down at Arden Street, as 'role' often supersedes 'form' in team selection.

This also relates to the structures mantra, my other bugbear, which, at North, is starting to struggle under its own weight. Of course, when we go to war, we typically adopt a strategic formation approach, but the great generals and soldiers operate with the understanding that the best-laid plans will often be thrown into disarray. This is due to the simple but commonplace problem, that our enemies often do not behave as we expect or hope.

Brad, you often speak of your respect for opposition teams, but I actually don't see that in your coaching. From the outside, there is a sense of stubbornness, as you assert the importance of team structures, yet there appears to be insufficient acknowledgment of the fact that many teams have the talent to undermine our structures, the tactics to unravel them, or simply the greater motivation to succeed. Where is the preparation for subverting the opposition’s structures, or in the language of this board, “where is the Plan B?” Too often, you are being outcoached, and it seems to stem from your excessive focus on implementing our structures as against the insufficient effort to undermine our opponent’s structures.

In my work, I use the term ‘structured improvisation’ as a useful modus operandi in many areas of group practice. Yes, create the solid framework, those well-researched structures, but then adapt, to respond and react, to provoke and surprise, to be instinctive and unpredictable. Beyond the effective structures, the improvised acts are often those that break the deadlock, that transform the conflict, that define the premiership. North Melbourne circa 2015 is very predictable. The same midfield group, whether being beaten or not, the same ‘first gear’ level of intensity at the start of every game, the same spare man in defense, the expected corralling, the preservation endgame, and so on. Opposition teams know what they are going to face and, as such, get a free shot at unraveling or even dismembering it. This does not make us a dangerous opponent, but an inviting target.

In essence, you need to bring flexibility into your coaching. Sometimes you appear to be all carrot and no stick, to be all Rudolph Steiner and no Mr Grimsby, to be all mentor and no provocateur. You might have brought some discipline to the systems and process, but that hasn't translated sufficiently to the practice. Your much loved micro-performance targets, goals, and indicators can cloud more crucial factors, such as physical presence, intent, desire, a want and will to win, not to mention the scoreboard.

To pinpoint one example, your ‘flying the flag’ criticism was unwise, as while it can have some ‘dumb’ consequences, it also sets important benchmarks in terms of physical presence. Ironically, your premiership playing years included plenty of flag flying as you were part of building a culture of intimidation at the Lions. Do the (unsociable) Hawks and (Bloods) Swans fly the flag? Very much so, whether contrived or not. The current North Melbourne side has quite the opposite sense, as a band of nice guys, carrying the Shinboner label as some anachronistic form of historical relic rather than a genuine team identity.

Brad, it is time to fire up. The side has a sense of lethargy, as if going through the motions of a 9-to-5 public service job. What I would love to see is:
· Some inspirational coaching, to animate the side;
· Rewarding good VFL form and being more forthright in sending a message to underperforming established players through team selection;
· Taking some risks on game day, with some courageous, ‘left-field’ moves and tactics and win a game from the coaches box;
· Quicker countering of opposition moves with a bit of counter-insurgency-like strategy.
· Some ‘smart’ calculated flying of the flag when need be;
- And you seeking out your own mentors to improve your coaching game.

This is a defining year for yourself as North Melbourne coach. As you speak about the team needing to improve to step into the top echelon, you, too, need to challenge yourself to reach the same levels. Become a great coach and a top four position will likely follow.

In anticipation of better things to come,

Black2Blue

Dear Brad

I am writing this with the expectation that you are an avid watcher of the North Big Footy board and your personalized thread in particular. As you would well be aware, the brethren and sistren are divided in their views on your performance this year.

Personally, I regard you as a good coach, who has been a terrific advocate and servant of the club since signing on board in 2010. However, I don't yet feel you have reached the level of being described as a great coach, which is the level you must reach to become a premiership coach at Arden Street in the coming years.

Although I have never formally coached a football team, I have been a lifelong footy lover and analyst and I am a coach of sorts by profession. So, for what they are worth (a packet of Twisties and a bag of mixed lollies perhaps) I would like to offer my suggestions for taking you to the next level as a football coach.

As I often work in conflict situations, I will use this as a convenient source of analogy. In your time as coach, you have worked impressively to build the foundations for a tilt at the top. You have developed a united squad with healthy comraderie, a strong culture, and good character traits. However, there are questions as to whether this North squad of 2015 is sufficiently prepared for the battle on the field.

There is more than enough evidence that this transition from developing side into premiership contender is not going as hoped or predicted. In my mind, there are two major underlying issues, and they are not the fixture and our injuries, despite being a factor in our current 12th placed predicament. The major concerns are two of the foundations you have shown unwavering, but excessive, faith in: roles and structures.

In terms of roles, you are clearly coaching the players to perform defined tasks, to play their role. WIthout saying this is invalid, there is always a risk of turning the human into the automaton, the rigid functionary in the machine. The danger is that the configuration of the machine can start to take on more importance than its performance. The argument that a football side requires certain players to play certain roles is clear, evident in the importance of the mobile ruckman, the contested midfielder, the rebounding half back, and so on. At the same time, the adherence to determining the composition of a side based on role playing can dull the unique abilities of players through an over-emphasis on ‘role’. It can also undermine that other critical component – the in-form footballer bringing their quality to the team. This appears out of kilter down at Arden Street, as 'role' often supersedes 'form' in team selection.

This also relates to the structures mantra, my other bugbear, which, at North, is starting to struggle under its own weight. Of course, when we go to war, we typically adopt a strategic formation approach, but the great generals and soldiers operate with the understanding that the best-laid plans will often be thrown into disarray. This is due to the simple but commonplace problem, that our enemies often do not behave as we expect or hope.

Brad, you often speak of your respect for opposition teams, but I actually don't see that in your coaching. From the outside, there is a sense of stubbornness, as you assert the importance of team structures, yet there appears to be insufficient acknowledgment of the fact that many teams have the talent to undermine our structures, the tactics to unravel them, or simply the greater motivation to succeed. Where is the preparation for subverting the opposition’s structures, or in the language of this board, “where is the Plan B?” Too often, you are being outcoached, and it seems to stem from your excessive focus on implementing our structures as against the insufficient effort to undermine our opponent’s structures.

In my work, I use the term ‘structured improvisation’ as a useful modus operandi in many areas of group practice. Yes, create the solid framework, those well-researched structures, but then adapt, to respond and react, to provoke and surprise, to be instinctive and unpredictable. Beyond the effective structures, the improvised acts are often those that break the deadlock, that transform the conflict, that define the premiership. North Melbourne circa 2015 is very predictable. The same midfield group, whether being beaten or not, the same ‘first gear’ level of intensity at the start of every game, the same spare man in defense, the expected corralling, the preservation endgame, and so on. Opposition teams know what they are going to face and, as such, get a free shot at unraveling or even dismembering it. This does not make us a dangerous opponent, but an inviting target.

In essence, you need to bring flexibility into your coaching. Sometimes you appear to be all carrot and no stick, to be all Rudolph Steiner and no Mr Grimsby, to be all mentor and no provocateur. You might have brought some discipline to the systems and process, but that hasn't translated sufficiently to the practice. Your much loved micro-performance targets, goals, and indicators can cloud more crucial factors, such as physical presence, intent, desire, a want and will to win, not to mention the scoreboard.

To pinpoint one example, your ‘flying the flag’ criticism was unwise, as while it can have some ‘dumb’ consequences, it also sets important benchmarks in terms of physical presence. Ironically, your premiership playing years included plenty of flag flying as you were part of building a culture of intimidation at the Lions. Do the (unsociable) Hawks and (Bloods) Swans fly the flag? Very much so, whether contrived or not. The current North Melbourne side has quite the opposite sense, as a band of nice guys, carrying the Shinboner label as some anachronistic form of historical relic rather than a genuine team identity.

Brad, it is time to fire up. The side has a sense of lethargy, as if going through the motions of a 9-to-5 public service job. What I would love to see is:
· Rewarding good VFL form and being more forthright in sending a message to underperforming established players through team selection;
· Taking some risks on game day, with some courageous, ‘left-field’ moves and tactics and win a game from the coaches box;
· Quicker countering of opposition moves with a bit of counter-insurgency-like strategy.

This is a defining year for yourself as North Melbourne coach. As you speak about the team needing to improve to step into the top echelon, you, too, need to challenge yourself to reach the same levels. Become a great coach and a top four position will likely follow.

Black2Blue

You my good sir have elevated yourself to post of the year >>>> I truly hope that Scott some how reads this.

BRILLIANT POST !!! 2 THUMBS UP FROM ME AND YOU GET ALL THE VOTES GIVEN TO YOU FROM LAST WEEKS DEBACLE.

Dear Brad....

"To pinpoint one example, your ‘flying the flag’ criticism was unwise, as while it can have some ‘dumb’ consequences, it also sets important benchmarks in terms of physical presence. Ironically, your premiership playing years included plenty of flag flying as you were part of building a culture of intimidation at the Lions. Do the (unsociable) Hawks and (Bloods) Swans fly the flag? Very much so, whether contrived or not. The current North Melbourne side has quite the opposite sense, as a band of nice guys, carrying the Shinboner label as some anachronistic form of historical relic rather than a genuine team identity."

Black2Blue
This still makes me shake my head,
The fight or flight mechanism in humans still plays a massive role in sports. The hormones the body produces during a perceived treat can make an individual do incredible things.

The actions of one can affect the whole group. If someone back downs and cowers away, the whole group senses it and tends to run away. If someone stands up, everyone around tends to walk ten foot tall. It's how humans were able to take down sabre tooth tigers or woolly mammoths.

It's crazy Brad who played like that doesn't believe in it.

Yes. There no doubting that there is a lack of substance to your posts. So c'mon Wild Bills, time to turn over a new leaf. Why do AFL teams have coaches? Why do all sports for that matter have coaches? What is the purpose of a coach? Throw away answers only make you look a fool. :stern look
And what does stern look at the end of each post make you look like?

Dear Brad

In my work, I use the term ‘structured improvisation’ as a useful modus operandi in many areas of group practice. Yes, create the solid framework, those well-researched structures, but then adapt, to respond and react, to provoke and surprise, to be instinctive and unpredictable. Beyond the effective structures, the improvised acts are often those that break the deadlock, that transform the conflict, that define the premiership. North Melbourne circa 2015 is very predictable. The same midfield group, whether being beaten or not, the same ‘first gear’ level of intensity at the start of every game, the same spare man in

Black2Blue
Incredible post, totally gave me a new understanding of our team and how we are coached. Please send this letter to Brad, it's very constructive , insightful, and accurate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Incredible post, totally gave me a new understanding of our team and how we are coached. Please send this letter to Brad, it's very constructive , insightful, and accurate

It's a solid post, however only the inner scrotum can advise how the team is coached...

Honestly, send it. But leave out the big footy part in the first sentence. it probably puts you in the one eye toothless yokel brigade, and he may not read the rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dear Brad

Black2Blue
Very good!

The only thing you missed is Scotts in ability to plan for what is expected. Several time after a lose Brad has said the opposition set up and gavee exactly what was expected. BUT we couldn't deal with it. Why not?

I'm maintaining my commitment to the Bradwagon (and it's feeling kind of spacious here right now) but i do get why people would question whether our playing style is aligned to our strengths at the moment.

The "slingshot" certainly lacks a bit of effectiveness when the first or second pass goes straight to an opponent's chest.

I'd love to hear that we are in the middle of a fitness loading campaign that might explain why we are too knackered to execute basic disposal skills, or maintain focus for a whole quarter.

Surely Dal Santo isn't that good that he carried the whole team for most of last year?

Anyway, based on how we've played since round 2, I expect us to beat Collingwood and West Coast, to get touched up by Sydney, and for the GWS game to be a bit like the Port game. Either 3-1 or 2-2.

I may be a glutton for punishment, or punch-drunk, but I'm not as devastated by the Haw and Freo smashing as the general BF population.

The season is still very much alive IMO.

Dear Brad

Black2Blue
Brilliant post Black2Blue

Sums up our predicament perfectly without reverting to insults or overreactions. We lack leadership across the board and need to work on a "Plan B".

It's a solid post, however only the inner scrotum can advise how the team is coached...

Trust your eyes. What you observe over a period of time is a pretty sound indication of how effectively what's planned and what's actual compare.

Dear Brad

Black2Blue
Brilliant post sir!

Appreciate the comments, folks. Had a terrific day yesterday, with my daughter getting her acceptance for high school next year, picked up a big job myself, and got through a slightly provocative event without the military shutting it down, so was well lubricated and had a relaxed evening to do some scribbling.

Appreciate the comments, folks. Had a terrific day yesterday, with my daughter getting her acceptance for high school next year, picked up a big job myself, and got through a slightly provocative event without the military shutting it down, so was well lubricated and had a relaxed evening to do some scribbling.
Great to hear. You're an asset to this forum, mate.

Fitzroy Street still paved with late night gold?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back