2015 Roland Garros

Remove this Banner Ad

Coric wins against Robredo who's no slouch on clay... The young kids are coming! Some very talented kids coming through, you feel like there's definitely going to be a world number one out of this group and will all probably replace the 'big 4' in the future: Coric, Kygios, Kokkinakis, Chung and Zverev. Then you got slightly older guys in Sock, Tomic, Thiem, Vesely. Then there's another young group who haven't quite broken through, guys like Tiafoe, Kozlov and Donaldson (all 3 are Americans and all look like they'll be pretty darn good), Ymer (beat Kyrgios earlier this year), Quinzi (was rated extremely highly as a junior but still in futures and can't break through, might not make the step up), Nishioka (extremely small japanese kid but has a heart of a lion) and Rublev (future of Russian tennis).

Pretty exciting era of tennis I reckon, you've got Nadal/Fed starting to fade away, Murray and Novak still probably in their primes for a few more years but you've got a whole bunch of teenagers/early 20's coming fast.

Last edited:
Chung is going to pretty awesome (maybe not on clay), his backhand is a little different but it is a really sound shot. Zverev I'm not as sold on, going to be one of these up and down players I feel. Ymer is amazing athlete with a lot of talent, am curious to see how he goes in a few years. Nishikola and Rublev have a lot of hype but I have not seen them yet. Seen a bit of Kozlov and while I never rated him (thought he was average tbh) he has had some good results so far and a fair bit of hype as well.

Chung is going to pretty awesome (maybe not on clay), his backhand is a little different but it is a really sound shot. Zverev I'm not as sold on, going to be one of these up and down players I feel. Ymer is amazing athlete with a lot of talent, am curious to see how he goes in a few years. Nishikola and Rublev have a lot of hype but I have not seen them yet. Seen a bit of Kozlov and while I never rated him (thought he was average tbh) he has had some good results so far and a fair bit of hype as well.
Chung will be very good, from the good old Bollietieri factory. He does have weird stroke mechanics on both sides. I feel like his forehand is even less conventional than his backhand. On both sides he has long straight arm take backs. Extremely clean hitter of the ball but you feel like if you hit hard and deep to especially on his forehand side you might have success against him. Funnily enough though grass seems to be his best surface. He's pretty effective off both sides though but ATP level events are a different kettle of fish and your weaknesses will get found out. He's been killing it at challenger level, he needs to step up and play more tour events with the big boys. He got destroyed by Donaldson in qualifying for Roland Garros but that's because he didn't have any clay preparation at all.

If i was a betting man though out of the lot I feel Coric will be the best out of the lot. Playing style wise he's very similar to Djokovic. For an 18 year old he is so so solid. Does everything very well already, hard to find a weakness. Defensively he is awesome already, he will only get more athletic and stronger- when he fills out he will be an animal defensively just like Novak. His feel for the game, mental toughness and competitiveness are awesome. Tactically for an 18 year old he is really good. All round he just looks the package and there aren't many 18 year olds who already have such a high ranking who don't go on to do pretty damn good things. For me he looks the safest bet to be the best out of the lot, Kyrgios and Kokkinakis will be right there with him for sure though.

Chung will be very good, from the good old Bollietieri factory. He does have weird stroke mechanics on both sides. I feel like his forehand is even less conventional than his backhand. On both sides he has long straight arm take backs. Extremely clean hitter of the ball but you feel like if you hit hard and deep to especially on his forehand side you might have success against him. Funnily enough though grass seems to be his best surface. He's pretty effective off both sides though but ATP level events are a different kettle of fish and your weaknesses will get found out. He's been killing it at challenger level, he needs to step up and play more tour events with the big boys. He got destroyed by Donaldson in qualifying for Roland Garros but that's because he didn't have any clay preparation at all.

Yes but the forehand is a bit of weakness and he can make some bad errors out of it. The backhand is also an unconventional shot as well but is so sweetly played and he can hit anywhere he likes. I look forward to seeing how he goes on the main tour in the next few months. It's going to take a few years but he'll be up there once that fore hand improves a bit and builds up that athleticism.

Kyrgios is for me the outstanding one for me, the guy pretty much has everything (bar maybe injury issues). But Coric has to be up there as well, he will be scary good too in a few years once he builds up his strength, his win over Robredo really impressed me. He is very solid and your right he has all the shots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just noticed that Bacsinszky takes on Keys in the third round. They are my two favourite women in the game! Bacsinszky is a slight favourite. I'm so excited for this one.

Bacsinszky should win fairly comfortably on a clay court.

He is the most likeable out of the 3 due to his on court demeanour and qualities as an athlete. But I don't think he has the game to reach the heights of Kyrgios.
I agree completely. Though I actually like Tomic more than Kyrgios. I think Tomic can be quite silly, but Kyrgios just exudes the fact he's madly in love with himself and I can't stand it. Then there's the getting close to being defaulted from matches thing. Entitled flog.

He is the most likeable out of the 3 due to his on court demeanour and qualities as an athlete. But I don't think he has the game to reach the heights of Kyrgios.

Disagree - the mental side of the game is such a major factor at these higher levels. Tennis is mostly between the ears. So often it comes down to just playing the crucial points better.

I agree completely. Though I actually like Tomic more than Kyrgios. I think Tomic can be quite silly, but Kyrgios just exudes the fact he's madly in love with himself and I can't stand it. Then there's the getting close to being defaulted from matches thing. Entitled flog.

I cringed reading an article on Kyrgios talking up how much punami he's getting on tour. He's not an attractive man.

I cringed reading an article on Kyrgios talking up how much punami he's getting on tour. He's not an attractive man.

You and me both. Would rather Tomic do well than him any day of the week. Kyrgios is the biggest FIGJAM in Australia, can't believe people used to complain about Hewitt, now look who we got haha.

Disagree - the mental side of the game is such a major factor at these higher levels. Tennis is mostly between the ears. So often it comes down to just playing the crucial points better.
Disagree, you need weapons. Look at Ferrer, he just can't make it due to not having a weapon. Same with Lleyton in his later years, he was just getting over powered

Kyrgios is like a rock star tennis player, brings the whole show with entertainment and acts the same way. Not a hater even though he does come across as very self entitled
Yep, despite his doucheness, I'd rather his matches than anyone else frankly. There will be something to see, unlike most of the other robots

Remove this Banner Ad

Back