Analysis Adam Goodes - the gentle art of making enemies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was premeditated and you would think he'd planned to do it to opposition supporters. Poor taste. I love seeing these dances before games between combatants, but directed at the crowd?? Bad stuff I think. Doesn't this welcome the booing that Goodes is so distraught by?
No doubt every part of it was planned. It's no coincidence that at a Swans home game he managed to direct it towards one of the few bays full of rabid Carlton supporters.

And there can be no claims to it being to "celebrate culture" because as others have already pointed out... Why not invite all the other indigenous players out there tonight to join in and do it pre-game where the context and intent of the whole thing is clear and can actually be celebrated and used to educate people?

No doubt every part of it was planned. It's no coincidence that at a Swans home game he managed to direct it towards one of the few bays full of rabid Carlton supporters.

And there can be no claims to it being to "celebrate culture" because as others have already pointed out... Why not invite all the other indigenous players out there tonight to join in and do it pre-game where the context and intent of the whole thing is clear and can actually be celebrated and used to educate people?

A bit p155 weak of Lingy to say you can't second guess him because he's been AOTY.

Post 540 by Eastern Rangers on the main board....It's a beaut.:thumbsu:

I don't mind his celebration, i just think the context is wrong. If it had of been directed on field towards his opponents then i think it could be tasteful, otherwise it seems like he's lashing out at the fans and the fans aren't liable to just sit there and take it. They'll continue to boo him and he'll continue to take offense to it.

Goodes has a problem with how he's perceived by the public and it started with his on field antics, his staging and his overt portrayals of emotion that are never tempered with anything close to humility. His unnecessary Australian of the Year award didn't really help his cause either. At stages he reeks of arrogance on field and appears to take himself a little too seriously. Sure you can have passion, but if that passion isn't directed properly then people will interpret it as plain old arrogance.

Goodes comes across as a little bit narcissistic and he wouldn't be the first star to buy into their own story a little too much. I think the football public has this sense and made him a target and he doesn't at the moment seem to understand why that is the case.

Cries of racism are in a large part platitudes that distort what is really going on and are divisive attempts to highlight other social issues. Sure there would be people who might be driven by some racial prejudice but most people just have him set as the principle dick of the AFL and one that will react as predicted when toiled with.

I would've thought Indigenous Round was a celebration and acknowledgement of the contribution indigenous players have made to this great game. Every player wore a celebration strip, even the umpires, as a sign of respect and unity. That one action by Goodes tonight spits in the face of everything Indigenous Round represents.

Once again, Adam Goodes has pissed on the matches.

I was just watching the footage of this on news.com.au .... Goodes loves the headlines that's for sure, his ego knows no bound. Did anyone else notice the police evicting the carlton supporter afterwards? You can also see another big bloke a row back several seats down trying to stop them taking him. Thank %^K this is his last season in the AFL.

Post 540 by Eastern Rangers on the main board....It's a beaut.:thumbsu:

I don't mind his celebration, i just think the context is wrong. If it had of been directed on field towards his opponents then i think it could be tasteful, otherwise it seems like he's lashing out at the fans and the fans aren't liable to just sit there and take it. They'll continue to boo him and he'll continue to take offense to it.

Goodes has a problem with how he's perceived by the public and it started with his on field antics, his staging and his overt portrayals of emotion that are never tempered with anything close to humility. His unnecessary Australian of the Year award didn't really help his cause either. At stages he reeks of arrogance on field and appears to take himself a little too seriously. Sure you can have passion, but if that passion isn't directed properly then people will interpret it as plain old arrogance.

Goodes comes across as a little bit narcissistic and he wouldn't be the first star to buy into their own story a little too much. I think the football public has this sense and made him a target and he doesn't at the moment seem to understand why that is the case.

Cries of racism are in a large part platitudes that distort what is really going on and are divisive attempts to highlight other social issues. Sure there would be people who might be driven by some racial prejudice but most people just have him set as the principle dick of the AFL and one that will react as predicted when toiled with.
Came across that post and thought the same, very well written and sums it up very well in my opinion.

I would've thought Indigenous Round was a celebration and acknowledgement of the contribution indigenous players have made to this great game. Every player wore a celebration strip, even the umpires, as a sign of respect and unity. That one action by Goodes tonight spits in the face of everything Indigenous Round represents.

Once again, Adam Goodes has pissed on the matches.
Yup, you'd get suspended if you pretended to shoot someone, apparently pretending to spear someone is ok.

Good to see Franklin play a solid game in a round that no doubt is significant to him. Let his footy do the talking.

Let's be honest here - while it was a good return and he played well, it was against the team sitting 18th and with no defenders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given past recipients include Ita Buttrose, Robert de Castella, John Farnham and Alan Bond, I reckon people get a bit carried away with their outrage over Goodes winning Australian of the Year. Sure he doesn't truly deserve it, but only a handful on this list do. What's that Fred Hollows guy ever done???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_of_the_Year_Award_recipients

Given past recipients include Ita Buttrose, Robert de Castella, John Farnham and Alan Bond, I reckon people get a bit carried away with their outrage over Goodes winning Australian of the Year. Sure he doesn't truly deserve it, but only a handful on this list do. What's that Fred Hollows guy ever done???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_of_the_Year_Award_recipients

You're coming off as a Goodes apologist mate....The AFL generated 'Bride of Frankenstein' has fully lost the plot...He is representative of all that is fabricated, phony & corrupt with our sport today.

The lad is nothing more than the AFL'S puppet par-excellance....He is not a ground-breaker or an innovative thinker. He is representative of one ginormous farce.....And it is us HAWKS supporters who are responsible for his un-masking.

Absolutely livid at Caro's comments on 3AW.

"What makes you think it's racial?"
Caro: "Sydney think it's racial."
Lloyd: "Yes, but what is the evidence to make the claim that it's racial."
Caro: "Look... *circumstancial thoughts* and Sydney think it is, and I can't think of a single other reason because they don't boo Selwood (or something)."

It's Mabo, it's the vibe ...

You know the media is full of campaigners when we have to rely on Gillon Mclachlan, Brendan Goddard and Tim ******* Watson to make our case

You know that in the case of Watto and Goddard it is more to do with them attacking the journos that have had a go at the bombers than about supporting us. You realise that don't you

Dunno about anybody else but I didn't even realise Adam Goodes was Indigenous until the 13th year of his career...

I was so enraged at his charade that all of my inner racism managed to bubble over and manifest itself into an almighty boo.

Felt good. Racism was proving to be quite addictive.

Be right back. Need another hit...

... Geez I hope there are some Muslim women on the train...

I know you are being funny but really you just needed the line about beating them up and you would have been hilarious

(your racism is really hilarious I think you need to go into comedy - geez it's crap what we have become)

And you know what? Hawthorn are so proud we have 70,000 members, well how about the club stick up for its membership and make a statement to the media. We don't need to condone the booing, but I think we should attack the media for insinuating our members are racist. I'm rather offended by the media's accusations and I think the club should do something about it.

Totally disagree.

The Club has played this perfectly (If I am looking at Hawthorn as a Business/Brand name trying to get a hold in an already crowded market place)

They didn't make any statement against the booing. They did some players to say they didn't like it. But they certainly didn't give the media the ammunition to use against its supporters but in not backing your booing they kept their corporate nose clean and didn't do anything to bring undue pressure on the club or its sponsors.

Perfectly played by the best run sporting club in Australia.

Totally disagree.

The Club has played this perfectly (If I am looking at Hawthorn as a Business/Brand name trying to get a hold in an already crowded market place)

They didn't make any statement against the booing. They did some players to say they didn't like it. But they certainly didn't give the media the ammunition to use against its supporters but in not backing your booing they kept their corporate nose clean and didn't do anything to bring undue pressure on the club or its sponsors.

Perfectly played by the best run sporting club in Australia.

Hopefully you boo him even louder next time :D

You're coming off as a Goodes apologist mate....The AFL generated 'Bride of Frankenstein' has fully lost the plot...He is representative of all that is fabricated, phony & corrupt with our sport today.

The lad is nothing more than the AFL'S puppet par-excellance....He is not a ground-breaker or an innovative thinker. He is representative of one ginormous farce.....And it is us HAWKS supporters who are responsible for his un-masking.
I def don't like him, but don't hate him with a passion either like others.

Get ready for yet another week of BS media spin Via the AFL incorporated machine....Goodes the ground-breaker....Goodes the agenda maker....Goodes takes back what is rightfully his in standing up for his people!

I'M GONNA be ******* sick to the stomach by MONDAY!

Replace sport with society :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back