Player Watch #8: Jack Riewoldt

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone else kicked 6 against the swans this year or recent years?

What a legend!
I was not able to find summary stats but did check the following players back to 2011 using the footy wire data base:-

Kennedy
Cloke
Cameron
Tom Lynch (GC)
Charlie Dixon
Pav
Roughnut
Gunston
Buddy (Whilst with the Dawkes)
Shultz
Petrie
L Thomas
Pods
Riewoldt N
Walker
Betts
Stevie J
Bazza Hall (whilst with the WBD)
Tex Walker
Darling
LeCras
Monfries
Jono Brown
Rioli
Mayne

and of course

Jacka

Aside from Jack, 2 others kicked 6 goals in that period, both back in 2011 being
* Cloke almost 4 years to the day on 25 June in Round 14 at ANZ stadium where Collingwood, despite having 11 more scoring shots, won by just 6 points; and
* Buddy when playing for the Dawkes in round 9 on May 22 at the SCG where the Hawks won by 46 despite Sydney being slight faves.

Roughy has kicked 5 on a couple of occasions (2014 and 2012), Pav kicked 5 in 2013, Tex Walker and Milne kicked 5 in 2012, Bazza Hall kicked 5 against the Swans in both 2010 and 2011 and a number of others have kicked 4's including Jack on a couple of occasions.

I was at a black tie event last night whilst the game was going on. Sitting on a table with some distinguished people and during the night had the game going on as me and another fella being big Richmond fans.

Anyway another guy made a comment that Jack was overrated and a sook. It was all about him.

I proceeded to hammer the * out of him verbally. Just let him have it that a few others just clapped.

He's no doubt the most underrated player in the league.

Other than Franklin and Roughead. In my opinion the best, most complete forward in the league.

I think the vision of DH not to chain him to a goal post is proving to be correct. We cant rely on him kicking our only goals, and what is missed a lot, is he is a gun decision maker either side of his body. His kicking into our fwd line is elite. The fact that by doing it this way(his role), he still will get the same amount of goals.

I think the vision of DH not to chain him to a goal post is proving to be correct. We cant rely on him kicking our only goals, and what is missed a lot, is he is a gun decision maker either side of his body. His kicking into our fwd line is elite. The fact that by doing it this way(his role), he still will get the same amount of goals.
His last 6 or 7 weeks have been outstanding a hell of a lot of shots on goal.

Opposition supporters only see Jack in a one dimensional light. They believe if he is not kicking goals he is of little value. I wish we had two of him as we could play one up the ground as his ground play, skills below the knees and delivery skills are excellent. It is a bonus that he is also a decent mark and kick for goal. He is enormous for us and love his passion. He has become the complete player and I always feel confident when the ball is in his hands.

One thing i hated was when Jack kicked that goal late in the 3rd he went off as part of this kick a goal your off senerio that all clubs do.Not Jacks fault but we were on top at that stage and Jack was on song and with 2 mins only left surely he could have stayed on.Luckly it didn't cost us the game but its still an annoying part of our game.

Opposition supporters only see Jack in a one dimensional light. They believe if he is not kicking goals he is of little value. I wish we had two of him as we could play one up the ground as his ground play, skills below the knees and delivery skills are excellent. It is a bonus that he is also a decent mark and kick for goal. He is enormous for us and love his passion. He has become the complete player and I always feel confident when the ball is in his hands.
I agree, and I think Jack also feels confident of getting the ball in his hands when Deledio is about to kick the ball...

I had a thought actually. Jack's role has changed and he is now a roaming forward rather then a deep forward/stay-at-home forward in the Forward 50, and most likely Jack will continue to get better at this new role as the seasons go by (if he is continued to be used in this way)....could Jack be a smokey for the Brownlow in th next lets say 2-4 years if he really shines in this new role? We all know what happened when Richo was used as a roaming forward - finished 3rd in the Brownlow. I guess you just never know.

Spot on. And it makes match ups impossible at times. Only the best defender will be able to cope with Jack roaming into the back half then turning them inside out on the way back, all the time wondering whether he'll stand on your head or lead into space.
What makes our setup particularly lethal is that if it ain't Jack then Tyrone or Griffo will mark and goal. Previously it was just Jack or bust.
Very good development and even when they aren't all firing they still must be respected.

Tbh I never understood the Jack hate , I seriously don't get why people hate players who show their emotions on the field . When Jack was complaining about a free back in the day I would be doing the same thing .

Jack has also never been selfish at all . I've never remembered a time he did anything overly selfish. Hes always tackled hard .

I'm never gonna understand the hate he used to get , maybe it's because my fav player of all time is richo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always thought he would have been a great player in Sydney. Game style is ideal for that ground.

Jack's SCG record so far: 7 games - 16.8 = 66.66% accuracy, 2.28 goals per game

I'm going to start a thread called 'dumb things opposition supporters say about Jack Riewoldt'.

Here's a beauty from the North board (I won't shame the poster by naming them):

"Give me Lachie Hansen over Riewoldt everyday of the week."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back