How long will it take for Hird to regain his reputation with the general public.

Remove this Banner Ad

As an Essendon supporter, the actual question you should be asking is when will Hird and the Essendon Football Club be transparent and honest about what PEDs and drugs not fit for human consumption were administered to their players.

I believe the answer to that question and the one posed in the op will be the same ... Never!

Which was
Stole this from the Mitchell thread.

X5AbD8h.jpg

Australia has more chance of producing a male tennis player who isn't a complete twat than Hird has of regaining his standing in the game.
haha yes, my god he is a tosser isn't he?!

but getting back to Hird, I see no indication that he really wants to be part of football now that he's not a player. Coaching EFC is clearly something he's trying his hand at while he's upskilling for his next corporate job.

I doubt he'll care if he is forgiven or not in AFL circles, I don't think he wants it.

Many people have mentioned Carey - good yardstick.

Remember, 'offenders' don't need to be forgiven and forgotten, just need enough time to pass for the stench to lessen. Many people (myself included) still think Carey is a grade-A douche for his shenanigans, but Channel 7 figured 3-4 years later was enough for the outrage to die down. And I guess they are right. Most fans just move on. And Channel 7 get to ignore the personal life stuff and focus on his footballing legacy.

I think Hird's cooling-off period will be longer. Carey's issues were seen as (appalling) personal character flaws. But it affected his personal life, not his football life (OK, shagging VC's wife an exception). But Hird's issues are much more football related. That will taint his football legacy and that makes it harder for Channel 7 or whomever to unofficially pitch 'forget the bad stuff, we've all made mistakes, think of how good Hirdy was. There is no way we could NOT have him on our panel'...

Oh, and as some have said, he's going to have to do a big 'I've made mistakes, I'm so sorry interview' before he makes his comeback. I assume for Hirdy that will make for extremely uncomfortable / disingenuous viewing....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to mentioned allededly bashed a fee women and some cops. Or did he get charged for that?
Carey was slightly before my time so I did a little research into his past indiscretions and seriously, the bloke is a grade A ****. His record is utterly astounding:
96: plead guilty to indecent assault after grabbing a passing woman's breast on a Melbourne city street allegedly told her to "get a bigger pair of ****".
02: "had an extramarital affair with then-best-friend North Melbourne stalwart and Vice Captain Anthony Stevens' wife, Kelli" that resulted in the entire team uniting against him to remove him from the club.
04-06: faced misdemeanour battery charges that were followed by him abandoning his pregnant wife for model Kate Nielson (a relationship that's early period was tainted by numerous allegations of assault on Carey's behalf).
07-08: 2008 disturbance in his Melbourne apartment resulted in him being capsicum sprayed by police after attempting to assault police officers.
Was then revealed that Carey had been arrested and charged with assaulting a police officer and Neilson in Miami, Florida during October 2007, after which he allegedly glassed Neilson in the face and neck with a wine glass. Furthermore, "when he was in the police car, he used his head as a battering ram and tried to smash a hole between the front compartment of the police car and the prisoner compartment."
12: finally, "Carey was attempting to visit Barwon Prison in February 2012 to speak to indigenous inmates as part of a mentoring program, however he was found to have traces of cocaine on his clothing following a routine drug scan. Carey was informed that he could enter the prison if he submitted to a strip search. He declined and left the correctional facility."/

None of this is even taking into account his prolonged use of drugs (cocaine, specifically) and alcohol.

Seems to me at least, that Carey's record--one that is disturbingly and chronically criminal--must be nearly on-par with the stain Hird's action have left on the game? Feel free to disagree obviously, but when a guy like Carey can do disgusting stuff like this for prolonged periods of time and then return to the AFL spotlight a mere 6 years later, acting like nothing has happened, it doesn't really inspire confidence in the notion that Hird's potentially imminent exodus from the AFL community will be anything near permanent.

It depends on whether his relationship with Charter during his career, and then during his time as coach is queried.

If he continues to dodge that bullet, then maybe 5 or more years.....if he can't get around it and Charter spills the beans, then he can kiss any thoughts of being welcomed back into the sport goodbye.

If I was a betting man, I'd say that the Charter/Hird relationship will continue to be left alone by an AFL journo who wants to keep their job.

When will he gain back his reputation with me "When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves"

I think Hird's brand is set in stone now. Where Hird differs from just bout every other figure in the centre of a major scandal is that he has failed to take any responsibility or apologise and ask forgiveness. In fact, like Belle Gibson, he still won't admit he has done anything wrong.

He's had 3 years. My guess is that he has made his bed and will now never admit otherwise.....and that is why he will forever be viewed in the football world as self centred and delusional.

Carey was slightly before my time so I did a little research into his past indiscretions and seriously, the bloke is a grade A ****. His record is utterly astounding:
96: plead guilty to indecent assault after grabbing a passing woman's breast on a Melbourne city street allegedly told her to "get a bigger pair of ****".
02: "had an extramarital affair with then-best-friend North Melbourne stalwart and Vice Captain Anthony Stevens' wife, Kelli" that resulted in the entire team uniting against him to remove him from the club.
04-06: faced misdemeanour battery charges that were followed by him abandoning his pregnant wife for model Kate Nielson (a relationship that's early period was tainted by numerous allegations of assault on Carey's behalf).
07-08: 2008 disturbance in his Melbourne apartment resulted in him being capsicum sprayed by police after attempting to assault police officers.
Was then revealed that Carey had been arrested and charged with assaulting a police officer and Neilson in Miami, Florida during October 2007, after which he allegedly glassed Neilson in the face and neck with a wine glass. Furthermore, "when he was in the police car, he used his head as a battering ram and tried to smash a hole between the front compartment of the police car and the prisoner compartment."
12: finally, "Carey was attempting to visit Barwon Prison in February 2012 to speak to indigenous inmates as part of a mentoring program, however he was found to have traces of cocaine on his clothing following a routine drug scan. Carey was informed that he could enter the prison if he submitted to a strip search. He declined and left the correctional facility."/

None of this is even taking into account his prolonged use of drugs (cocaine, specifically) and alcohol.

Seems to me at least, that Carey's record--one that is disturbingly and chronically criminal--must be nearly on-par with the stain Hird's action have left on the game? Feel free to disagree obviously, but when a guy like Carey can do disgusting stuff like this for prolonged periods of time and then return to the AFL spotlight a mere 6 years later, acting like nothing has happened, it doesn't really inspire confidence in the notion that Hird's potentially imminent exodus from the AFL community will be anything near permanent.

A few things going in Carey's favour compard to Hird:

He's the GOAT on field.
Half of the crap he did was while playing football. He was a w***er on the 6 oclock news during the week, then the GOAT on the week end to reset the w***er-ometer to 0 for a new week.
He didn't lie. Rightly or wrongly people find it harder to get past a liar than a bloke having "a bit of a blue."
His more serious acts after football could be rationalised as a sort of "post football" problem.
People can average out people's ills if they see it elsewhere. We've seen violence and drug use. "everybody does that." - However people don't employ that rationalisation for climbers because they see it as advantaging the campaigners.
Seriously he's the GOAT.

A few things going in Carey's favour compard to Hird:

He's the GOAT on field.
Half of the crap he did was while playing football. He was a ****** on the 6 oclock news during the week, then the GOAT on the week end to reset the ******-ometer to 0 for a new week.
He didn't lie. Rightly or wrongly people find it harder to get past a liar than a bloke having "a bit of a blue."
His more serious acts after football could be rationalised as a sort of "post football" problem.
People can average out people's ills if they see it elsewhere. We've seen violence and drug use. "everybody does that." - However people don't employ that rationalisation for climbers because they see it as advantaging the campaigners.
Seriously he's the GOAT.
The one other difference that has been overlooked is that he has a fairly decent football brain and offers some insight that creates discussion. Hird has yet to show any real analytical or strategic ability.

Carey was accepted back because he knows footy, not because he is a good bloke.

The one other difference that has been overlooked is that he has a fairly decent football brain and offers some insight that creates discussion. Hird has yet to show any real analytical or strategic ability.

Carey was accepted back because he knows footy, not because he is a good bloke.
but but but someone said that hirdy wouldn't be sacked because he is a great strategic thinker!

:drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back