Scape Goat Recreational drug saga

Remove this Banner Ad

So what do you guy think will happen now ?.
Will the club come out tomorrow and sack him, or do they come out and say that it was dealt with back in 2013 under the afl's drug code

They shouldnt sack him. Not yet. As an example Michael Johnson in 2010 got an 5 week ban for cocaine use in 2010. Hasnt put a foot wrong since then. He's now an AA player and just cracked 200 games. Harley needs to be punished and there needs to be an example set, but at the same time whatever punishment needs to be down the track of rehabilitation and can't be so severe that it just drives him back to the lifestyle the club wants him to leave behind. At the end of the day I believe drug use needs to be treated as a health issue primarily and it should be no different here.

This photograph opens up the proverbial can of worms.

Will WADA and or ASADA become involved?
Does the AFL integrity commission become involved?
Will other players be implicated?
It would appear unlikely Harley will be playing this weekend.

The fallout from this is going to be huge.

They shouldnt sack him. Not yet. As an example Michael Johnson in 2010 got an 5 week ban for cocaine use in 2010. Hasnt put a foot wrong since then. He's now an AA player and just cracked 200 games. Harley needs to be punished and there needs to be an example set, but at the same time whatever punishment needs to be down the track of rehabilitation and can't be so severe that it just drives him back to the lifestyle the club wants him to leave behind. At the end of the day I believe drug use needs to be treated as a health issue primarily and it should be no different here.
Spot on.

This photograph opens up the proverbial can of worms.

Will WADA and or ASADA become involved?
Does the AFL integrity commission become involved?
Will other players be implicated?
It would appear unlikely Harley will be playing this weekend.

The fallout from this is going to be huge.

This isnt a PED issue, which warrants ASADA/WADA in determining the penalty.

He will just get a couple of weeks ban as the AFL is piss weak in dealing with recreational drugs.

Deserves the punishment coming his way if the article is correct that he had 2 random in the room.

When doing drugs it should be alone or with other team mates who cant rat.

Last edited:
Is there any chance he plays this weekend? I really hope he does and comes and just dominated North. Played well against them before.
3 games. 23, 21, 27 possessions with 2,2,3 goals.

Feel so incredibly bad for Harley. He did the deed but to be singled out when so many others at all clubs would do this is just not fair. Not sure how he will react.

I tell you who really needs rehabilitation. The campaigner who took the photo, the campaigner who sold the photo to the papers, the campaigner of a "journalist" who bought the photo and that campaigner of a newspaper the Courier Mail itself for publishing it.

Money is the root of this. campaigners thinking they can make a quick buck by sensationalising it. I feel dreadfully sorry for Harley. Hope the club sticks by him. They said they'd stick by Karmichael.

It's a terrible thing to wake up to:(
I guess we know he lived with Hunt so he was at risk
I just hope this doesn't destroy him because he is a genuinely nice person
If he has a problem I hope he gets help to overcome it from the Club and his family
Whoever took that photo and sold it and the awful people who published it are trading in human misery
Just too sad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His lucky his at at qld club
The melbourne or W.A media would hound him.. Sit out fron of his hoise for weeks!!
Mmm wow

You think the Melbourne and Perth media are bad? Come to Adelaide.

They're still going on about the Ramsgate fight and that happened in 2002.

The Crows salary cap scandal was front page news for months, and had about 10 pages of coverage every day for weeks.

This drugs saga up at the Gold Coast is disgusting to be perfectly honest. When are players finally going to realise that they can't do this s**t as an AFL player? It's illegal to begin with, but as a professional sportsperson there are added constraints. If you want the big bucks, accept the added responsibility of not getting high mid-week or doing lines of coke off of a hookers arse, or oh, I don't know, representing your club and your supporters with a bit of class.

Someone said that the players come here to read this? Great. You're a role model to children, who have your number on the back of their guernsey and who dream of being a footy player like you. You represent a club who has nearly 15,000 paid up supporters off of only five years of existence and who expect you show the same amount of loyalty that they have over the journey. You walk around with bluster and boorish bravado at being an untouchable AFL player, yet can't act with basic common decency with regards to drilled in drug policies which have stemmed from past experiences at other clubs.

This isn't a troll. This isn't a melt. This is serious s**t. I expect people to laugh at me and to call me a whinger and whatever have you. That's fine, I don't care. These players had a choice at one point in their lives. They made the wrong choice, and I'm not going to sit here like "Oh, the poor AFL player had to deal with the demands of professional sport, so doing coke is excusable, and we must help him during such a difficult time". It's pathetic, pure and simple.

As a lover of football, I just wish all this s**t would stop.

Last edited:
Wouldnt be surprised if no one sees Harley and he heads home to W.A to think about whether he wants to play AFL.

When really he should face upto a Media appearence.. Say he made a misstake 2 years ago.. Apologise to the AFL the Club his friends family and team mates..
Grow a pair and play this weekend get 30 touches and 3 goals.
Then everyone will drop it..

They're only after Blood.. Or they'd never of posted the images

Last edited:
Its doing illegal drugs on the front page of a major newspaper. Getting 30 touches on the weekend wont make people get over it.

The hardest part for me to deal with at the moment is that just like the following clubs we are now tainted forever

Essendon - doping and salary cap cheating
Eagles - drug culture
Melb / carl - tanking
Crows -salary cap cheats

whether its true or alleged the mud sticks :cry:

Chin up, only real clubs have a taint. You've made it to the big leagues
Hawks - <injunction>
Pies - history of grand final failure

The more I hear, the more I hope Harley gets the support he needs. At the end of the day he is a kid in his early 20's who has had his face wiped across the front of a lot of newspapers for doing something a lot of kids his age do. By the sounds of it, the club has said they are only worried about Harley's welfare at the moment which is the kind of response you want to hear.

As someone who has had close friends pass away due to drug related issues and/or overdoses, I really hope Harley has a good support network around him, something like the exposure in today's HS could begin a massive spiral for him. Seriously I hope he comes out better after this, as a man and as a footballer.

Shame on the HS too, will do anything for a dollar while they don't give a * about the mental/physical wellbeing of the player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back