Review Post Game vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm happy with the win, and I won't take anything away from our pressure and tackling. We were better than them all over the park, there's not doubt about it.

But, 90% of that bombers side failed to even show up. I saw effort out of Heppell, Hurley and Hooker, but not much out of anyone else. The passage of play that netted Joey's long goal was a result of him continuing to run while his opponent, Dempsey, pretended to give chase. Big problems at Bomber land. Their supporters have the right to be upset with that pathetic effort. I'm an advocate of staying until the final siren but when the players are half-arsing it, why bother sticking around?

Anyway, it's good to see the bests turn out like this:

Riewoldt pretty stiff not to be named in the best!!

They didn't even cater for coaches boxes or the sun getting into player's and spectators eyes when the roof is open because the ground is orientated incorrectly. It's amazing they managed to get the right names for the ends but you're right Lockett should have been at the South Melbourne/St Kilda end.

Didn't they actually forget the coaches boxes? They just added them in later.

I love Jack Sinclair. :D

anigif_enhanced-buzz-1268-1404011046-4.gif

I'm going for a massive call here, I must be still on the adrenalin high -

Jack Sinclair is already one of our best players.

I know he doesn't do the hard work of Armo or Steven or Roo or Bruce, but imo we are a 4 goal better team when he plays.
I actually agree with this.
He is one of the quickest thinkers in the game atm imo. As Defacto said earlier we'll see him in the midfield more and more from now on.

How the H3LL did he make it to the rookie draft???? Absolute steal.

Didn't they actually forget the coaches boxes? They just added them in later.

Yep. So they have to cordon off the level 1 concourse at each break so the coaches can get onto the ground. I would have though that it would be a non-negotiable that a sports stadium would require two coaches boxes and safe, efficient passage for them to get onto the oval. But then I'm not an architect.

Membrey is such an important player for us. Only played game number 9 today, if he continues the gradient in which he's improved so far this year we are gonna have one hell of a dangerous multi-pronged forward line. He played a great first quarter, could've been more accurate however.

Would love to know how much ground Bruce is covering per game at the moment.

Frawley mentioned his GPS readings were on a par with Riewoldt's, which is pretty impressive.

A double team blowing up the opposition defence means they cant switch fresh defenders on to Riewoldt as easily as Bruce will then run them off their feet.

Saw him taking marks all over the ground today. Fantastic running and must have a huge tank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, um this is a game day thread so I guess I should talk about the game. Obviously I absolutely loved watching the game today.

Our forward line set up was fantastic, with Bruce deep and Membrey in front of him, then Roo roaming up the ground - reminiscent of the second half of the Doggies game. Then Roo goes deep forward after half time and starts to hit the scoreboard. Lonie was magnificent in the forward line as well. Probably my only disappointment was that Membrey faded out of the game.

Our pressure was again outstanding, and our work off half back was first rate. Roberton was just about best on and Boogie Dempster was magnificent as well. The others all did their job, with Sav having some great moments - you can't give him that much space and not expect to get hurt.

Generally we moved the ball really quickly, and were willing to go through the middle of the ground, often bringing it back in from the wing, willing to go backwards but only if necessary - it was quite flexible I thought. We split them open and were able to get a heap of marks inside forward fifty, often in dangerous positions. Our goal kicking was great too, obviously.

Low light - Sam Gilbert just stopping in front of Armo (I think it was) as he was streaming towards 50 in the second quarter to have a shot at goal. Classic Sammy brain fade.

Of course, it was a little hard to judge considering how much Essendon sucked. I was fascinated to see that EVERY TIME they showed Hird, he was just staring into space. Not once was he on the phone or talking to his colleagues in the box.

Oh how thoroughly enjoyable it was to see that rout. I'm pretty much not fussed about what happens from here for the rest of the season. That'll do pig, that'll do.

I actually agree with this.
He is one of the quickest thinkers in the game atm imo. As Defacto said earlier we'll see him in the midfield more and more from now on.

How the H3LL did he make it to the rookie draft???? Absolute steal.

There's a story somewhere on the saints site about how Ameet and Elshaug actually asked his good mate, Jack Billings what he thought of him. Jack gave him a good wrap and the rest is history...

The fact he was an over-ager last year and spent a bit of time playing VFL (for Port Melbourne) looks like it might have helped him slip through the cracks.

I've been going to post this for a while now but today is as good as any other time. The success of Sinclair (rookie) and the likes of Lonie, McKenzie, Acres etc proves that you don't have to stress over picks 1-10 in the draft. There's always hidden gems in the draft, it's just up to your recruiting staff to unearth them. Clearly we are well very placed in that regard atm, judging by our recent strike rate at the draft.

What we need now, even more so than more young draft talent, is a couple of established stars to add to the mix. Like when we picked up Gehrig and Hamill. Players around the 24-25 age bracket.

But the most important thing is that established stars won't come to a cellar dweller team that can't win games and get flogged every week. They need to see a team with a bright future and clearly on the rise. After a performance like today that obviously describes us.

So, I wish Saint supporters would stop worrying about draft picks now and take all the wins we can get in 2015. Who's to say that McCartin will turn out any better than Sinclair or Goddard for example. Just keep on racking up the wins and players from other clubs will be wanting to come to us, rather than us having to mortgage the grandstand to get them interested.

After all, even if we win 8 or 9 games or so we'll still get a first round pick inside the top 10.

I'm going for a massive call here, I must be still on the adrenalin high -

Jack Sinclair is already one of our best players.

I know he doesn't do the hard work of Armo or Steven or Roo or Bruce, but imo we are a 4 goal better team when he plays.

haha, settle.

I really like him and when he gets the ball, makes good decisions but only had 9? touches today.

Not a knock on the bloke, he is soooo much better than Minchington and that showed today.

We were simply fantastic today and Essendon were simply terrible.

Lonie, Bruce, Ross, Longer were great.

Love how we've got our contested ball right up over the past three weeks.

Richo seems to be able to fix issues week to week. I'm really happy he's our coach.,

I've been going to post this for a while now but today is as good as any other time. The success of Sinclair (rookie) and the likes of Lonie, McKenzie, Acres etc proves that you don't have to stress over picks 1-10 in the draft. There's always hidden gems in the draft, it's just up to your recruiting staff to unearth them. Clearly we are well very placed in that regard atm, judging by our recent strike rate at the draft.

What we need now, even more so than more young draft talent, is a couple of established stars to add to the mix. Like when we picked up Gehrig and Hamill. Players around the 24-25 age bracket.

But the most important thing is that established stars won't come to a cellar dweller team that can't win games and get flogged every week. They need to see a team with a bright future and clearly on the rise. After a performance like today that obviously describes us.

So, I wish Saint supporters would stop worrying about draft picks now and take all the wins we can get in 2015. Who's to say that McCartin will turn out any better than Sinclair or Goddard for example. Just keep on racking up the wins and players from other clubs will be wanting to come to us, rather than us having to mortgage the grandstand to get them interested.

After all, even if we win 8 or 9 games or so we'll still get a first round pick inside the top 10.
Well said mate and to add to that, let's get a winning culture back at the club. Let the kids get used to as many wins as possible. We don't want to do what Melbourne did a few years ago, keep losing to get high picks. As you said, players don't want to go to a club that shows no future by losing. Melbourne got those picks and some ended up leaving anyway because they could not get a winning culture going, amongst other things. Keep winning I Say. GO SAINTS!!!

The game today had feelings of 2003. I remember when we smashed Carlton late in that season at Princes Park with our kids running riot and just knowing that it was the start of a special period. Just so much to love about the way we are playing, hard to single out anything particular today.
I was there that day. F***, me & my matesgave it to the Carlton supporters that day. Awesome. Thanks for letting me reminisce.

Would you guys welcome Goddard back on a 500k contract?
We gave him life membership and offered him a contract just under 2 mill for 3 years. He still decided to walk to what he thought were greener pastures. Personally, I'd tell him to stay with his new friends at Bongerland. In the meantime Rooey and Joey stayed loyal and have consolidated their places as St.Kilda legends. Goddard made his bed, so he can lie in it.

Roberton 24 yo - 76 games
Steven 25 - 103
Longer 22 - 38
Lonie 18 - 10
Newnes 22 - 60
Sinclair 20 - 11
Webster 22 - 31
Bruce 23 - 37
Dunstan 20 - 28
Weller 23 - 59
Ross 22 - 31
Savage 24 - 82
Membery 21 - 9

That's just players from today. Then add in

Billings
Goddard
McCartin
McKenzie
Acres

Who I'm very comfortable in saying will be good AFL players.

How quickly we've transitioned our list and injected (EssendonBombers) really top end young talent is a real credit to all involved.

We are going places !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back