Discussion on Phil Walsh killing; Warning: Disturbing content

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Look I don't really want to get into a mudslinging match if some people don't think people could be ****ed in the head. Or mentally ill - however you choose to express it. (I get the sense some are happy with the first term, but not the second.. and i don't understand why).

And let me say it doesn't really change my opinion much on what the outcome of the trial should be.

I'm just trying to appreciate what was meant by 'nasty'?

Look I don't really want to get into a mudslinging match if some people don't think people could be stuffed in the head. Or mentally ill - however you choose to express it. (I get the sense some are happy with the first term, but not the second.. and i don't understand why).

And let me say it doesn't really change my opinion much on what the outcome of the trial should be.

I'm just trying to appreciate what was meant by 'nasty'?

Yeah, possible inflammatory post deleted.

Which, as my previous example clearly illustrates, has been entirely ineffective
Depends on what particular mental health services, as varying - acute, community, forensic, etc

Also, one thing to upgrade & it's another to fund.

Finally, also mental health has been disjointed in it's administration for a while.

Last edited:
Pure conjecture on my part, but this will boil down to yet another failure of the mental health system. Why? Because I'm sure this wasn't the first time the Walsh's experienced difficulties with their son.

Consider the circumstances of a person who was hospitalised with a mental health issue that included psychosis and suicidal thoughts. This person, within a supervised hospital, is then assaulted by another patient. Consequently, this person is then sent to another hospital more equipped to deal with the abuse the person suffered. By taxi. And not admitted, but dropped off in the carpark. By a mental health professional who was accompanying the person.

I'd like to say that was a hypothetical circumstance, but its not. It happened last month.

Our entire mental health system is stuffed. It's under resourced and staffed by ill equipped "professionals". The person I refer to has since overdosed twice on prescription medication. Once during a subsequent hospital visit where they gave the person 30 days of medication on a " trust" basis, despite the person having a history of prescription drug dependency and abuse, and multiple suicide attempts.

This, in an affluent and supposedly enlightened society. And it happens to hundreds of people. Every. Single. Day.

Most of this sounds like something that could be addressed with simple bloody common sense.

What a massive ****** you have to be to refer to yourself as a "pick up artist" let alone seek to associate with other like minded tools.

Rhymes with anchor

I worked with one in Japan and almost beat the s**t out of him. Everytime we'd all go out if he saw me taking to a girl, he'd make a beeline over and try and use his 'PUA' skills to take her off me. Would ruin my night every time. I just wanted to have a good time and relax but it just became so ******* tedious. Now that I'm older I just laugh at how ducking stupid PUA are. If any man out there wants to know how to pick up women, and this includes women half their age, I'll tell you the secret. Are you ready? I really should charge for this info it's really good...you're going to be shocked by this....ok here it is....smile at her. Yep that's it folks. Smile as much as you can and show her you're a relaxed and confident individual and then talk to her and make her laugh. That's it. All these young guys are so insecure and overcome with egos desperate to prove themselves in life they scare women away. The guys who do the best with women are the ones who can look at a girl and smile and then say hi without placing any kind of pressure or expectation on her. I've got several women all half my age who look at me like I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread and all I do is smile and say hi and chat a bit about anything. It took me years and maturity to realise that's all I needed to do. A lot of young men today really have no idea how to be a man.

I worked with one in Japan and almost beat the s**t out of him. Everytime we'd all go out if he saw me taking to a girl, he'd make a beeline over and try and use his 'PUA' skills to take her off me. Would ruin my night every time. I just wanted to have a good time and relax but it just became so ******* tedious. Now that I'm older I just laugh at how ducking stupid PUA are. If any man out there wants to know how to pick up women, and this includes women half their age, I'll tell you the secret. Are you ready? I really should charge for this info it's really good...you're going to be shocked by this....ok here it is....smile at her. Yep that's it folks. Smile as much as you can and show her you're a relaxed and confident individual and then talk to her and make her laugh. That's it. All these young guys are so insecure and overcome with egos desperate to prove themselves in life they scare women away. The guys who do the best with women are the ones who can look at a girl and smile and then say hi without placing any kind of pressure or expectation on her. I've got several women all half my age who look at me like I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread and all I do is smile and say hi and chat a bit about anything. It took me years and maturity to realise that's all I needed to do. A lot of young men today really have no idea how to be a man.
so what is your definition of a man?

Exactly. Make them laugh and don't creep them out. Works a charm.

Smiling like this? image.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For good reason.

Total collapse of the banking industry, building industry, the share market and a decade of recession while the economy recovers.

Agree with that; I was more referring to Family Tax Benefits and the like, but I mentioned negative gearing, so I can see how the link was made.

Still - I wouldn't abolish negative gearing, but I'd restructure it.

I have no idea why him being a pickup artist has any bearing on anything.

Any 20 something year old guy ideally likes to pick up women.

Completely irrelevant.

Do you know what a PuA, in this context?

Agree with that; I was more referring to Family Tax Benefits and the like, but I mentioned negative gearing, so I can see how the link was made.

Still - I wouldn't abolish negative gearing, but I'd restructure it.

Do you know what a PuA, in this context?

Neil Strauss - The Game

Probably somebody who doesn't need a manual telling him how to deceive women into liking him.
That would apply for a woman too?

a lot of people that need help with meeting women, hence the huge amount of dating services.

you call it deception, but is that any different to shaving you legs or face?

I find the disconnect with his Dad is a bit of a cop out. I wonder what Phils daughter Quin and Phils relationship was like? How are Paul Roos, Mick Malthouse, Neil Craig's etc. kids managing emotionally? Their Dads are /were all in the same environment working similar hours with similar workloads/pressure.
My Dad worked huge hours when I was younger, all of my brothers and myself have a great relationship with our Dad. We realised at the time Dad was making sacrifices for his family, enjoying his career, and without us knowing teaching us a great work ethic.
I know this is a broad generalisation and every relationship is different, I just see it as an excuse, usually I have found, the weaker the individual the more excuses they will make.

I hope you're older than 36 ;)

I find the disconnect with his Dad is a bit of a cop out. I wonder what Phils daughter Quin and Phils relationship was like? How are Paul Roos, Mick Malthouse, Neil Craig's etc. kids managing emotionally? Their Dads are /were all in the same environment working similar hours with similar workloads/pressure.
My Dad worked huge hours when I was younger, all of my brothers and myself have a great relationship with our Dad. We realised at the time Dad was making sacrifices for his family, enjoying his career, and without us knowing teaching us a great work ethic.
I know this is a broad generalisation and every relationship is different, I just see it as an excuse, usually I have found, the weaker the individual the more excuses they will make.
a lot of it is about maturity too. I'm far less critical of my folks now than when I was younger.

I agree

My Dad and I had a very fractured relationship however I always accepted personal accountability to be the person that I wanted to be

I've thought its a bit, I don't know, unfair to draw the direct link between Phils comments about a disconnect and work/live balance and what has happened.

They tried to make the direct connection on AFL360 last night, and Nathan Buckley (who Paul Roos implied Phil had turned to for advice about managing work and family time) spoke up and said something along the lines of it being dangerous to make those conclusions, that it was likely Phil acknowledging he needed to spend time above and beyond what he has in the past, and what most 26 year old children need to help his son, as well as a father looking for an answer as to why he can't help and putting blame on himself.

Sadly these kind of situations happen in a lot of families, there is no straight forward solution, you cant just call somebody, have the child treated until its fixed and then move on. From what I've seen no matter how much the parents try these things can go on and on with highs and lows for decades until they either accept the help or find the right help or something tragic happens.

A cop out from what?

I don't think anyone is saying the disconnect was directly responsible for the tragic event?
Or even that the disconnect was directly responsible for any mental health issues.
It's just an acknowledge that there WAS a disconnect. I more look at it that other issues may have caused the disconnect.

A cop out from what?

I don't think anyone is saying the disconnect was directly responsible for the tragic event?
Or even that the disconnect was directly responsible for any mental health issues.
It's just an acknowledge that there WAS a disconnect. I more look at it that other issues may have caused the disconnect.
The implication I had from watching Today Tonight was that the disconnection was a strong factor. That was the way they presented it. I was disappointed that they aired that whole segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back