GFL Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright guys im not being silly here, just a genuine opinion and want to hear your thoughts.

What do you guys think of having next year 3 saturday games, 1 saturday night game and 2 sunday games every week?

So you can watch different games, probably draw bigger crowds too?

What do you guys think? Thoughts?

Personally I'd just leave it as is. I couldn't care less about other gfl games that don't involve Grovey so I wouldn't bother going to watch other sides play on a Saturday night or Sunday and I reckon most other people would have the same thinking. Would be good if clubs were able to play Saturday night games if they wanted to tho.

Alright guys im not being silly here, just a genuine opinion and want to hear your thoughts.

What do you guys think of having next year 3 saturday games, 1 saturday night game and 2 sunday games every week?

I don't think the demand for watching multiple matches on a weekend is that strong personally. Most people involved in local footy typically spend from 10am-6pm at the club watching all three grades so come Saturday night or Sunday, I couldn't imagine many wanting to go see another match unless it was a real blockbuster like a GFL Anzac match or Battle of the Bridge. At the end of the day it's amateur sport and players have other things they want to do on a weekend.
So l went up to have a look at Joeys train tonight!
Just to see if everyone was telling the truth about not training & resting up.
Hahaha...Watched Maxwell take training & the boys look tight.
Can't wait for Saturday.
One of the most exciting squads to come out of the GFL for a long time. Deserved premiership favourites but I just fear with so many young players it could work against them late in September. But given their age, if that group sticks together they could seriously win the next five premierships.

Footy at all levels should be a Saturday afternoon affair only I reckon. Even the AFL, which I hate, have seen the light and attempted to come back to some Saturday Afternoon games this season. But that's your opinion URGOT and that's what this forum is all about.

Mostly predictable results today but very surprised to see Leopold thrash St Albans by 100. The supersaints started the fourth quarter with just one goal on the board. That leaves four sides (Leopold/St Albans/Bell Park/Newtown) all locked on 28 points so percentage in these last six games now becomes very crucial. Leopold climbed 10% to 142. St Albans started the day on 154% and are now 135. Today's result could come back to haunt them.

I've looked at the draw and here's my predicted final ladder for what it's worth:

Joeys 18-0 72
Colac 15-3 60
Grovey 14-4 56
Leopold 11-7 44
Bell Park 11-7 44
----------------
St Albans 10-8 40
Newtown 10-8 40

The winner of Bell Park and St Albans in round 18 looks likely to take 5th spot (I tipped BP). Sides that have played Lara typically enjoy a 20% increase in percentage and of the top 7, Colac, Grovedale, Bell Park and Newtown meet them before the end of the season. It's gonna be very tight. How good's local footy!

Don't know if the rest of the ladder means too much after what I saw from joeys today. They will take some beating!! Made Newtown look very slow

Don't know if the rest of the ladder means too much after what I saw from joeys today. They will take some beating!! Made Newtown look very slow

Was worried at 1/4 time today when south lead Grovey 7.2 to 1.2. South turned to s**t from then on kicking 1.4 for the rest of the game and the tiges ended up having a pretty comfortable win. I know South aren't the powerhouse they once were but after being on the end of some pretty big drubbings over the past 15 years, I'm not going to complain about knocking the swans off twice in a year!

Really looking forward to Grovey taking on joeys next week. Agree that joeys look close to unbeatable but Grovey probably should've beaten them earlier this year so hopefully the boys will put on a good show and give joeys are a serious challenge.

St. Albans has expected have been found out after such a cruisey draw to start the season. Expect them to drop out of the 5 and be replaced by Newtown or Bell Park by seasons end. Joeys, Colac, Grovey and Leopold all safe IMO.

They are certainly the team to beat, but at their core are still very young and inexperienced. Colac and Grovedale will have a lot more "big game" players having participated in the past 2 GF's. When an undefeated side finds themselves 2 goals down in the 3rd quarter of a grand final, young players begin to panic. In saying that I hope Joeys take it out but finals footy is capable of dealing some cruel hands.

They are certainly the team to beat, but at their core are still very young and inexperienced. Colac and Grovedale will have a lot more "big game" players having participated in the past 2 GF's. When an undefeated side finds themselves 2 goals down in the 3rd quarter of a grand final, young players begin to panic. In saying that I hope Joeys take it out but finals footy is capable of dealing some cruel hands.
So, what are u actually saying? Because you have about 3 different takes on it here Falsenine. They are the team to beat, but they are young, and other teams are more experienced, and finals footy deals cruel hands? So will they win or not? As usual we get your sitting on the fence, nonsense comments. Go out on a limb for a change, and make an interesting, viable statement.

So, what are u actually saying? Because you have about 3 different takes on it here Falsenine. They are the team to beat, but they are young, and other teams are more experienced, and finals footy deals cruel hands? So will they win or not? As usual we get your sitting on the fence, nonsense comments. Go out on a limb for a change, and make an interesting, viable statement.
Fortunately your subjective opinion holds no weight in this forum and I don't feel obliged to justify myself to some flog from Portarlington. Given your club's rich history I wouldn't expect you to understand about finals pressure.

Tipping the tigers to really push joeys this week, once again they are beatable if you play man on man footy and shut down the Carson's and limit the influence of lovick, you will give yourself every chance. Im worried about Dale but i think Grovey have the players to cover the rest of there forward line and if the mids fire then Erskine will get a good match up if Dale is forward. Not tipping Grovey but i think they will compete alot better then all the other sides have this year Joeys by under 20 points

Fortunately your subjective opinion holds no weight in this forum and I don't feel obliged to justify myself to some flog from Portarlington. Given your club's rich history I wouldn't expect you to understand about finals pressure.
Yawn!!!!!!!

4 Facts that make Falsenine the biggest tosser on Big Footy:
1/ He has no concept of the word FORUM, ie. his opinion is the only one that counts to him, he sooks when you disagree with him (see his quote above).
2/ He resorts to personal attacks when he is lost for words ie. he is not a very strong arguer, loses the plot easily, and takes the easy way out. Uses the word Flog a lot (a real lot), he obviously doesn't have a great vocabulary (see his quote above).
3/ Obviously he has a very limited knowledge of footy, he resorts to clichés to get his boring points across.
4/ He follows St Marys and Ammo's (enough said, he barracks for a church and a golf course.)

4 Facts that make Falsenine the biggest tosser on Big Footy:
1/ He has no concept of the word FORUM, ie. his opinion is the only one that counts to him, he sooks when you disagree with him (see his quote above).
2/ He resorts to personal attacks when he is lost for words ie. he is not a very strong arguer, loses the plot easily, and takes the easy way out. Uses the word Flog a lot (a real lot), he obviously doesn't have a great vocabulary (see his quote above).
3/ Obviously he has a very limited knowledge of footy, he resorts to clichés to get his boring points across.
4/ He follows St Marys and Ammo's (enough said, he barracks for a church and a golf course.)

Quality post that one!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a great spectacle yesterday at the Joeys Grovey game but it was a very hard contested game of footy. First half cost the tiges dearly in the end. Dominated the first quarter but didn't convert that dominance onto the scoreboard and Joeys made them pay in the 2nd with the breeze to have a 5 goal lead at half time. Grovey came back hard in the 3rd then kicked the first 2 goals in the last to actually hit the front until joeys kicked the last 4 goals of the game. Couple of big injury blows as well with Dean's copping a punctured lung in the first quarter and McKenzie limping off with an ankle early in the fourth term. Just on Nathan Dean's, is there a tougher more courageous player in the comp ? For mine there isn't anyone that comes close.

Joeys would have to have a very off day to get beaten in the finals, but Grovedale have shown twice this year that they're capable of matching them and I think Colac could match them as well. Don't think anyone can get close to them tho.

Everyone - if your club does some great stuff for the community (raise money for someone in need / help out around the town) then apply to this competition.

http://www.foxfootyclubrewards.com.au/

The prizes are meeting senior coaches for seminars, or visiting a clubs facilities and getting a tour / training there.

Have to sign up by today though! So get in quick.

Not a great spectacle yesterday at the Joeys Grovey game but it was a very hard contested game of footy. First half cost the tiges dearly in the end. Dominated the first quarter but didn't convert that dominance onto the scoreboard and Joeys made them pay in the 2nd with the breeze to have a 5 goal lead at half time. Grovey came back hard in the 3rd then kicked the first 2 goals in the last to actually hit the front until joeys kicked the last 4 goals of the game. Couple of big injury blows as well with Dean's copping a punctured lung in the first quarter and McKenzie limping off with an ankle early in the fourth term. Just on Nathan Dean's, is there a tougher more courageous player in the comp ? For mine there isn't anyone that comes close.

Joeys would have to have a very off day to get beaten in the finals, but Grovedale have shown twice this year that they're capable of matching them and I think Colac could match them as well. Don't think anyone can get close to them tho.

I understand they are the best but i think they could be beaten by any of the top 4 sides on any given day. On saturday they had 3 or 4 players that i don't think can qualify for finals if Grovedale had of made better of the 1st quarter then the game would have been a fair bit closer. They will get back Howe which will help

thought it was a great game to watch, pressure was very high which saw the skills of both teams suffer. grovey are the only team to have challenged joeys, and they have done it twice. i reckon they're the only ones who can stop them. to be fair, ive watched lots of joeys this year and that wasn't their best performance

I understand they are the best but i think they could be beaten by any of the top 4 sides on any given day. On saturday they had 3 or 4 players that i don't think can qualify for finals if Grovedale had of made better of the 1st quarter then the game would have been a fair bit closer. They will get back Howe which will help
think youre underselling them there a bit mate. they are undefeated and until yesterday, nobody was really coming close to them. and they didnt have the best day yesterday, but still managed to win by 4 goals despite grovey coming at them very hard for most of the game. the only team i can see beating joeys are grovey, the other 3 teams in the top 5 are making up the numbers.

Was told by one of their supporters on the weekend that they have 4 VFL listed players to come into team and they had 2 playing on weekend that can't play finals.
They had an off day on the weekend with horrendous wind and still never really looked like losing in my opinion. Their depth is huge - but football is a funny game!! Win loss records at the start of finals get wiped as Colac showed last year. One thing that joeys are confident of is the bloke in the box. If they get ahead of themselves he jumps on them they reckon - lost his crap at 3 qtr time - wasn't happy with his players in the 3rd

think youre underselling them there a bit mate. they are undefeated and until yesterday, nobody was really coming close to them. and they didnt have the best day yesterday, but still managed to win by 4 goals despite grovey coming at them very hard for most of the game. the only team i can see beating joeys are grovey, the other 3 teams in the top 5 are making up the numbers.

Nah im not i think they are very good but i just think they are beatable as is anybody on any given day

Was told by one of their supporters on the weekend that they have 4 VFL listed players to come into team and they had 2 playing on weekend that can't play finals.
They had an off day on the weekend with horrendous wind and still never really looked like losing in my opinion. Their depth is huge - but football is a funny game!! Win loss records at the start of finals get wiped as Colac showed last year. One thing that joeys are confident of is the bloke in the box. If they get ahead of themselves he jumps on them they reckon - lost his crap at 3 qtr time - wasn't happy with his players in the 3rd

Well pretty sure Rees cant qualify and Tudor...and correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure Dan Gibbs has played vfl for most of the year? so you replace them with Howe and i dont think hickey and measures played.

Ok and Grovey had a good day? they werent good in the first quarter with a very handy breeze and lost Deans early and as far as never looking like losing, when Grovey kicked the 2nd goal of the last quarter to go 7 points up i was pretty confident, but no disrespect to joeys they are undefeated for a reason all im saying is they can be beat, and there twos obviously are going very well aswell

Dunno how you came to the conclusion that they never looked like losing. Grovey dominated them in the first quarter and if not for dumb decision making and ordinary skill levels would've had a handy lead at quarter time. They also dominated the 3rd quarter and then hit the front at the start of the last quarter. Losing Dean's in the first and Mckenzie at the start of the last didn't help either. Agree that joeys probably weren't at there best but on the flip side I've also seen Grovey play a lot better this year. Joeys clearly favourites for the cup but both Grovey and Colac can definitely cause them some headaches.

Well pretty sure Rees cant qualify and Tudor...and correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure Dan Gibbs has played vfl for most of the year? so you replace them with Howe and i dont think hickey and measures played.

Ok and Grovey had a good day? they werent good in the first quarter with a very handy breeze and lost Deans early and as far as never looking like losing, when Grovey kicked the 2nd goal of the last quarter to go 7 points up i was pretty confident, but no disrespect to joeys they are undefeated for a reason all im saying is they can be beat, and there twos obviously are going very well aswell
Gibbs is right on - can't play anymore VFL. The other one is Ryan Williams - due to his injury he hasn't played enough VFL games. Has one more joeys game to qualify.
I take nothing away from Grovey on Saturday!! I thought they were well planned and executed a game plan to shut down joeys well. Problem is 60 isn't going to beat them - healthy debate!!

Agreed, Reece Woods and Matt Scarlett were involved in similar incidents. Reece got hit by the karma bus in the last quarter and got a taste of his own medicine. Scarlett can at least play the game somewhat.

I wanted to keep my post postivite and about the footy as it was a fantastic game but I also think it is worth noting Trompf and how he goes about his footy. He is a blight on the GFL. I will refer you back to this post in the future when he gets a life ban.

Hahaha.Where's Scarlett off to tonight.
Oh that's right the tribunal!!

Gibbs is right on - can't play anymore VFL. The other one is Ryan Williams - due to his injury he hasn't played enough VFL games. Has one more joeys game to qualify.
I take nothing away from Grovey on Saturday!! I thought they were well planned and executed a game plan to shut down joeys well. Problem is 60 isn't going to beat them - healthy debate!!

Gibbs has played 10 vfl games, my understanding is once you reach double figures that's too many games.

Yes i forgot about Williams he will be handy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back