First final

Remove this Banner Ad

THE SYDNEY Swans could be without lockdown defender Nick Smith for a likely qualifying final showdown against a Fremantle side boasting Michael Walters and Hayden Ballantyne.

That is the suspicion of leading medico Dr Peter Larkins, who said the right hamstring injury Smith suffered against St Kilda on Sunday may sideline the All Australian back pocket for up to three weeks.

The Swans must, of course, account for Gold Coast at the SCG on Saturday night to book their top-four spot.

"It won't be a high-grade strain but it will be enough, you would suspect, that it's going to cost him a couple of weeks and maybe three," Larkins told AFL.com.au.

"So he's not going to be around this weekend and I wouldn't expect him to be around for the first week of the finals as a minimum."

But the news may be worse for Docker defender Cameron Sutcliffe, who faces a tough decision about whether to undergo season-ending shoulder surgery or a short conservative rehab period and return later in the finals.

"Sutcliffe dislocated his right shoulder in the final quarter of yesterday's (Sunday's) game against Melbourne," Larkins said.

"I believe it's a first-time dislocation so that puts him in a really difficult position. It's extremely rare when players have a had a complete dislocation and not had the surgery that they can carry the loose shoulder all season although we've seen it with (Hawthorn's) James Frawley this year.

"I would've thought that's a really bad situation for Sutcliffe's prospects to play in the next three to four weeks."

Larkins labelled star midfielder Nat Fyfe a "week-by-week proposition" as he tries to recover from stress inflammation of the fibula in his left leg.

Fremantle expects Fyfe to be available for a likely match-up with the Swans in the first week of the finals, although Larkins doubts whether he will be 100 per cent fit.

"It depends on how much the inflammation in the bone settles down into week three as to whether he can do much running, so it's going to be based on the pain that he's got," Larkins said.

"I'm not expecting him to be recovered by the first week of the finals but it's also possible that he can play if the bone stress has gone down to a lower level."

Larkins also said:

- Docker forward Michael Walters, who was a late withdrawal against Melbourne because of a tight calf, would benefit from another week on the sidelines before finals.

But the news may be worse for Docker defender Cameron Sutcliffe, who faces a tough decision about whether to undergo season-ending shoulder surgery or a short conservative rehab period and return later in the finals.

"Sutcliffe dislocated his right shoulder in the final quarter of yesterday's (Sunday's) game against Melbourne," Larkins said.

"I believe it's a first-time dislocation so that puts him in a really difficult position. It's extremely rare when players have a had a complete dislocation and not had the surgery that they can carry the loose shoulder all season although we've seen it with (Hawthorn's) James Frawley this year.

"I would've thought that's a really bad situation for Sutcliffe's prospects to play in the next three to four weeks."

Larkins labelled star midfielder Nat Fyfe a "week-by-week proposition" as he tries to recover from stress inflammation of the fibula in his left leg.

Fremantle expects Fyfe to be available for a likely match-up with the Swans in the first week of the finals, although Larkins doubts whether he will be 100 per cent fit.

"It depends on how much the inflammation in the bone settles down into week three as to whether he can do much running, so it's going to be based on the pain that he's got," Larkins said.

"I'm not expecting him to be recovered by the first week of the finals but it's also possible that he can play if the bone stress has gone down to a lower level."

Larkins also said:

- Docker forward Michael Walters, who was a late withdrawal against Melbourne because of a tight calf, would benefit from another week on the sidelines before finals.
So from that we can assume that Fyfe and Sutcliffe will be fit to play next week, but Walters is out for the season.

I'd say he is spot on about Sutcliffe on because his injury was obvious.

Cam is a run and gun player so his role isn't affected greatly, he wont be going up for any more spoils though.

I'd say he is spot on about Sutcliffe on because his injury was obvious.

Cam is a run and gun player so his role isn't affected greatly, he wont be going up for any more spoils though.
Ross on radio tonight said he should be fine but won't play this week.

Suttcliffe, as much as dislike saying this, is looking like he'll miss the first week. Dislocating the shoulder is bloody hard to bounce back from, let alone first time. Can't raise the arm past chest level. Decisions, decisions.

Suttcliffe, as much as dislike saying this, is looking like he'll miss the first week. Dislocating the shoulder is bloody hard to bounce back from, let alone first time. Can't raise the arm past chest level. Decisions, decisions.

Should be able to cover him. C Pearce or Mzungu to the backline

The AFL has established clearly that the QF finals are played on Friday night and Saturday afternoon. You have to go back to 2010 for the last time this didn't happen. Doesn't mean it is set in stone, but the odds would heavily be in favour of maintaining the pattern from recent years.

The AFL should really give Freo whatever timeslot we most prefer, but I doubt we'll have any say in the matter. I would lean towards WC v Hawks on Friday night, then Freo v Syd on Saturday arvo.

All of the top 4 sides effectively have byes in the last round. WC, Hawthorn and Sydney will have their games won early in the first half, and then go into cruise mode to conserve energy. Not sure if WC or Sydney playing on Sat evening will come into calculations for how much rest they are given prior to their finals games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst I don't think it happen, I wouldn't be opposed to playing on Friday night given it will also mean a 6 day break plus travel for the Swans and that half of our best 22 are going to be fresh.

We should be after the Friday night game - six day break prior for both teams, but half our 22 won't be playing, whereas they have to play to ensure 4th. Can only advantage us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back