The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone listening to the new Dre album? Its a bit of a mess in my opinion. Have some solid tracks but after listening to Pimp a butterfly for the last couple of weeks it just isnt stacking up.

Kendrick has highlights all over Compton but that's as expected, my big surprise was how smooth King Mez was sounding on that (essentially) opening track "Talk About It", which is probably my favourite from the record right now.

Nah listened to it for another few days. Its a corny, disjointed mess. Its Dre trying to stay relevant by doing stuff that just doesnt suit him. Compared to chronic and 2001 its seriously disappointing. The idea of a new Dre album was way better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah listened to it for another few days. Its a corny, disjointed mess. Its Dre trying to stay relevant by doing stuff that just doesnt suit him. Compared to chronic and 2001 its seriously disappointing. The idea of a new Dre album was way better.

No kidding, 99% of albums are gonna sound disappointing compared to The Chronic or 2001. Is it cool to hate on this album? Has universal acclaim on Metacritic but plenty of folks are sinking the boots in on forums

No kidding, 99% of albums are gonna sound disappointing compared to The Chronic or 2001. Is it cool to hate on this album? Has universal acclaim on Metacritic but plenty of folks are sinking the boots in on forums

Its all opinion man. I reckon a lot of the reviewers only listened to the first half though. From the Intro to All in a day's work is probably 8/10. Then Darkside happens that just *s it in my opinion. Darkside to Issues are just a struggle that the album just doesnt recover from I think, Deep water is very interesting though. One shot and Just another day feel so disjointed. For the love of Money is cool. Theres just to much going on in these later tracks though, heaps of needless layers that make the tracks to much I think. Then you get Premier on a dre album it just doesnt work. Medicine man is corny, talking to my diary is a meh last track.

bruh

11896105_380256738839472_4705579696849856087_n.jpg

A fan was at a Target store and he noticed Travis Scott‘s “Rodeo” album was on the shelves but, when he tried to purchase it, they didn’t let him and took all of the CDs off the selves. Before the fan got the CD taken away from him, he took pictures of the front and back of the CD which shows the tracklist.

http://www.rapdirect.net/2015/08/tracklist-travis-scott-rodeo-album/

Piss On Your Grave was meant to be on SWISH but Kanye gave it to Travis and it's ft Kanye and Paul McCartney.

Pray 4 Love is ft The Weeknd.

It sounds like it's made by somebody who is too busy being a full fledged business man to be making an album, which is fair enough. It's widely believed that Dre doesn't write a lot of his own lyrics, but he's always been a ridiculously good producer, and he delivered the lyrics written for him with a nice flow, and his trademark voice. On this one, he's all over the place, trying to be Kendrick Lamar at times, trying to be Dre at other times. There are some MC's out there who can switch up their style from track to track, and pull it off, but I don't think Dre is one of them.

As for his producing, well, The Chronic is a certified classic from start to finish; it defined what would become Dre's signature 'G-Funk' sound. Then 2001 came along, and it was different, but still unmistakably Dre. A G-Funk renaissance if you will, for a hip hop scene that had changed a whole lot in the 7 years between albums. The beats on this one for the most part, don't really sound any different to any other mainstream hip hop album, which is not what you'd expect from Dre, and disappointing from somebody who used to be one of the best. Each to their own, but the album does bugger all for me.

And if you're gonna get Premier on the album, I just don't know why you wouldn't put yourself, Eminem, Xzibit, Snoop and Cube on that track, and make a good old fashioned boom bap banger. Instead, he's got a guest vocalist/rapper, and himself.

Last edited:
Any of you guys heard of Epidemic? Rap duo that have been (imo) putting out some of the best hip hop I've ever heard. These guys are really flying under the radar. Hex One (2nd verse in the song below) in particular is just about flawless.

I actually had trouble deciding which song of theirs to link as everything they've made is ******* impeccable.

Dr Dre's Compton is pretty dope, long time coming.
Looking forward to seeing the film as well.

Annoyed though that i accidently bought the ''clean lyrics'' version on itunes.

Dr Dre's Compton is pretty dope, long time coming.
Looking forward to seeing the film as well.

Annoyed though that i accidently bought the ''clean lyrics'' version on itunes.

You can probably get a refund for that actually. It's weird, they have to by law offer refunds even though it's a digital file that you can't 'return'. I think there's a "report a problem" button on the iTunes store (google it) and then you basically just request a refund, say what happened and show you've purchased the explicit version (if you choose to) then best chances you'll get a refund on the clean version

Remove this Banner Ad

Back