Other Lawn bowls

Remove this Banner Ad

Northern Gateway winners of Region Sides Championship if I am correct against Yarra?
Yes. Played in ordinary conditions, but considering the forecast a few days out most thought that all they would be doing is drinking all weekend.

Northern Gateway definitely handled the conditions better than anyone else. Yarra put in a good showing and flogged pre tournament favourites Metro West in the semi final to such an extent that Metro West pulled the pin with 6 ends to go.

What was on display was the fact that there is a clear gulf between the West/North West of Melbourne and the East/South East as far as depth goes.

Well Melbourne Premier Division has got the grand final of the two best teams for the season in Altona v Bundoora, but only just. Bundoora pulled one out of the bag from nowhere in prelim against Essendon who must be gutted. 59-72 down with 10 ends left and then to go on an 18-3 run to win by 2 is pretty amazing stuff any in division let alone Premier. So big road trip for both clubs this week as they head down to Mulgrave CC for the grand final.

Question for all you lawn bowl experts,

How does one go about joining a club, Is it as simple as just going to my nearest club?
Should I be looking at certain clubs over others?

any help would be appreciated.
Just suss out your nearest mate. Clubs love new members and will do all they can to help you get started, to coach you etc

Pennant starts this weekend (Geelong region anyway)

Anyone else playing? I'm only able to play every few weeks this season, and was only a last minute inclusion this week so playing div 7! Lol

Good Luck Willo_... lol.
We start our Pennant season this week as well. (Northern District in the Murray Mallee Region).
Surprising to note that the Sunraysia BD have been playing for 7 weeks.
Their season is finished before Christmas, to try and beat the heat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good Luck Willo_... lol.
We start our Pennant season this week as well. (Northern District in the Murray Mallee Region).
Surprising to note that the Sunraysia BD have been playing for 7 weeks.
Their season is finished before Christmas, to try and beat the heat.
I'll be disappointed if I need luck in div 7!

Just remember... If you're down, you gotta be up... Hahahaha...

I'd imagine you will do just fine, and have a few whinging and whining before the day is through.
The last time I played I played div 1/2 season before last... so lets hope i have some sulking :D

We played Friday night pennant last weekend.

Div 1 in Geelong - Bareena V Leopold (was played on a Friday due to one of the Bareena skips getting married on the Saturday and the whole side basically were in and or going to the wedding)

Was good fun, we (Leopold) are up from Div 2 last year, they were down from Premier Div last year... lost by 16 overall, 3 rinks down, mine got up by 3 shots.

Good crowd, plenty of noise.. felt like a final

Hopefully something they look at doing reguarly.

Love a Friday night game - not that I've ever played one but I've seen a couple and it's a great atmosphere. They had a go at a few games over here a few years ago but clubs didn't want to keep doing them.

Love a Friday night game - not that I've ever played one but I've seen a couple and it's a great atmosphere. They had a go at a few games over here a few years ago but clubs didn't want to keep doing them.
Our association tried one a couple of years back. I thought it was great. Get people hanging around after their pennant practice, bbq going and great conditions at the biggest club in our association. Certainly can be a financial reward to clubs involved if done correctly.

Our association tried one a couple of years back. I thought it was great. Get people hanging around after their pennant practice, bbq going and great conditions at the biggest club in our association. Certainly can be a financial reward to clubs involved if done correctly.
My club is going to push to try host one next year apparently and to quote the bloke that organizes some of the stuff 'we will do it properly'

Hopefully the video above works - I ripped it from someone else's Facebook.

Anyway, yesterday saw the final of the Premier League in WA and it was a battle between 2012 winners and minor premiers Cambridge and Bassendean, a club which had never made the finals in the top division in its 82 year history. Cambridge won the second semi over Basso quite comfortably on their own (synthetic) track, but at the neutral venue of Yokine, and on beautifully-running grass, the gap between the two narrowed.

Going into the last end, it was all square. Cambridge's lead plonked one right on the kitty, and their third added another, tucking it around the corner to make it harder. Basso's third played with weight to open up the head and then the skip, Blake Nairn, drove at it in an attempt to kill the end. The kitty spat out into open space, reducing Cambridge one shot and allowing skip Pieter Harris to draw within four feet to give them two shots. And with the last bowl, Blake draws within a foot to give Basso victory!

Anyway, yesterday saw the final of the Premier League in WA and it was a battle between 2012 winners and minor premiers Cambridge and Bassendean, a club which had never made the finals in the top division in its 82 year history. Cambridge won the second semi over Basso quite comfortably on their own (synthetic) track, but at the neutral venue of Yokine, and on beautifully-running grass, the gap between the two narrowed.

Going into the last end, it was all square. Cambridge's lead plonked one right on the kitty, and their third added another, tucking it around the corner to make it harder. Basso's third played with weight to open up the head and then the skip, Blake Nairn, drove at it in an attempt to kill the end. The kitty spat out into open space, reducing Cambridge one shot and allowing skip Pieter Harris to draw within four feet to give them two shots. And with the last bowl, Blake draws within a foot to give Basso victory!

Nothing like an underdog getting up. Great stuff indeed.
We won our Regional Pennant yesterday. It is a real pity that Bowlsvic don't run the State Pennant anymore.
Would have been a great experience to have a dip at the big boys from around the state. Oh well...

What page was that video on, i can't seem to see it on my phone...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back