Game Day 2015 E.W. Copeland Trophy night - Congrats Scott Pendlebury

Remove this Banner Ad

might know someone who engraves the trophies top 5 in order is pendles swan crisp adams sidey. he gave me the top 3 in order last year as well... fair effort by the steak knives if his mail is correct

Don't take this the wrong way but if you get the same info next year please don't post it. It doesn't benefit anyone to know it in advance and now that this correct result gives you credibility it would only spoil the suspense.

Yeah I'd back us in to take him if he'd nominated Hawthorn for example and we had a pick before them. It may not work out, but I'd still back us in for taking the risk on. No drama with disagreeing we just need to work hard to get ahead in the ND of those that think like me because we need him desperately with where our list will be in 12 months.

Surely if we get a pick in the mid teens he's has good as ours. Hard to see anyone risking anything before that on a guy who is likely to leave after a year. And in the event that we do get a pick that high, Brisbane would be bananas not to back down and accept it

Surely if we get a pick in the mid teens he's has good as ours. Hard to see anyone risking anything before that on a guy who is likely to leave after a year. And in the event that we do get a pick that high, Brisbane would be bananas not to back down and accept it

Adelaide are trading Dangerfield the deals done so they'll have two in the top 13. They may pass on him once, but not twice so the pick pretty much has to be in the top 12.

I wouldn't go that far because if we get that pick it'll be late in the peice, IMO, and beyond their control to get it from us. Having said that though they're so keen on this play being right for them that it wouldn't surprise me to hear them knock it back anyway.

In which case I'd say good luck to them because this isn't a vendetta against Collingwood as much as bigfooty may feel like it is.

Adelaide are trading Dangerfield the deals done so they'll have two in the top 13. They may pass on him once, but not twice so the pick pretty much has to be in the top 12.

I wouldn't go that far because if we get that pick it'll be late in the peice, IMO, and beyond their control to get it from us. Having said that though they're so keen on this play being right for them that it wouldn't surprise me to hear them knock it back anyway.

In which case I'd say good luck to them because this isn't a vendetta against Collingwood as much as bigfooty may feel like it is.
Yeah i agree with this in theory. Adelaide are a huge threat.

Although i wonder how they feel about aish selecting collingwood considering he is am SA boy.

Their threat all along was that guys like aish and scharenberg would come home after their initial contract. It seems both chose collingwood instead.

Interesting to see if they would still take aish even though he has stated he wants to play in melbourne. Its a bit of an insult to them really as it wouldve been much easier for aish to leave if he played the "home sickness" card.

I apologise in advance for this because some will take it as a clip. I spent a while trying to word it because there is some frustration behind it, but I don't think I've got it out perfectly...

I'll start with my positive. Jack Crisp to go from where he was this time last year to a top 3 finish in our B&F is a marvellous result.

Completely agree. Everybody loves a Cinderella story, and Crispy is a Cinderella story.

From there it really wasn't a good idea to have the players present awards, IMO. The speeches were clunky and they looked completely disinterested aside from Fasolo who loves the spotlight. My takeaway from being there on the night.

Yes, they were clunky. Yes they were awkward. But IMO it was a masterstroke from Bucks.

It was a friendly crowd. The players could have totally ballsed it up, and the audience would have still supported them.

It was great experience

Compare these two clips below. One of them is the 2015 AFL best and fairest (The Brownlow). The other is the 2015 NRL best and fairest (The Dally M). Have a squiz at both ...

In around five minutes on stage Nat Fyfe has given a stirling account of himself, and of the Fremantle Dockers, and of the AFL competition.

That five minutes that Nat Fyfe was suited up and on stage was probably more powerful than any five minute period he's spent in a Freo Guernsey out on the footy field.

Another example: There's a name behind the spoiler tag below, when you press it, what's the first thing that comes to mind about that player? ...

Benden Fevola

Did you think about something that happened on a footy field? Probably not.

How a footy player can carry himself up on a stage in front of his peers, and admirers, and employers is important.

Buckley gave a bunch of lads a bit of exposure to it. Hopefully it's the first opportunity of many.

A Collngwood player could reasonably be expected to get up on stage and wax lyrical in front of the Collingwood community. It's confidence. It's leadership. It being comfortable in their skin. It's all good stuff.

And hopefully the next Collingwood player who gets up on a podium to accept a Brownlow, or a Premiership Cup can speak confidently in a way that we can be all proud of.

- The night seriously drags. Anyone going for the first time would have a ball, but it was the exact same show as 2014 and when you're backing up its repetitive (I can understand why the players looked so disinterested at times).

For those folks watching at home - there was a big difference to 2014 ...

... Sarah Allen. She is a breath of fresh air. She is professional.

Things were noticeably better than last year.

Of course there is still plenty of room for improvement - streaming support for iOS would be great. The end of the night was handled poorly. But it'll continue to get better.

Curious do you think next year's Copeland will be at Crown again? Or will it be at our new social club?

It'd be good if they did mix things up from year to year, especially if it's coming across as being tired.

And especially if the players are getting a bit jaded by it. It is their night after all.

- Hine will have earnt that "in Hine we trust" moniker if he gets Aish over the line because at this stage he's less than a 1% chance of getting to Collingwood.

Do you think there's a chance that Brisbane are dong to us what we did to them last year? (announce that we have pulled out of the negotiations).

Maybe common sense will prevail? (Just as it did last year)

- Those that are not fully onboard with Buckley get on because he is a better option than the bloke McGuire has in store to replace him if things go pear shaped (little tip his replacement might already be at the club).

If anybody outside of the board are aware of our contingency plans - that is a bit concerning :eek:

Overall a lot of hope was sold last night, but Pendles speech aside there wasn't much of a "this isn't good enough" theme, IMO. We heard the odd comment from Brown and Swan saying another premiership would be great, but I'd have personally preferred a few of them be more demanding of themselves.

The night was a bit tired. The cheering was muted. Ed needed to rev up the crowd at one stage there. Maybe the night needs to be revamped a bit?

Overall I'm just tired of our club talking ourselves up as the biggest and the best ...

Completely agree with that :thumbsu:

We should be secure in ourselves so they we don't have to behave that way. Is it all we've got?

... whilst Hawthorn amass 3 premierships in a row and the meek acceptance of our decline over the past 4 seasons. We MUST be top 4 contenders next year it's non-negotiable.

IMO you're setting yourself up for disappointment there. As much as I want us to successful, I struggle to see us playing finals in 2016.

PS. I was asked a few weeks back my reasons were for wanting Oxley gone. At that stage it was 90-10 on-field to off well that's no longer the case!

That's disappointing. I like the lad (on field - never had a thing to do with him off-field)

Last edited:
Can I just say that having reflected all day, I do think Buckley has had some success with the off field culture of the club. I remember a few years ago (I think it was when the ruckman we picked up from Carlton was still there) watching the acceptance speaches at the Copeland a few years ago when Shaw, Swan and one or two others from that clique were in the top 5 and from the speaches the clique became very obvious. Compare that to the speaches last night and the all in attitude of the players and the off field harmony of the group definitely appears to have improved greatly.

Can I just say that having reflected all day, I do think Buckley has had some success with the off field culture of the club. I remember a few years ago (I think it was when the ruckman we picked up from Carlton was still there)

Chris Bryan?

Curious do you think next year's Copeland will be at Crown again? Or will it be at our new social club?

76, that will likely be a crude numbers game. The Crown venue can seat 1500; our new building has a function room which can seat 1000 (IIRC). Then there will be the cost of hiring the venue, which presumably we will avoid if we use our own building. Will we make more $ by abandoning Crown? It will probably come down to that, and not how many supporters we can squeeze in.

... Sarah Allen. She is a breath of fresh air. She is professional.

On Sarah Allen, we 'poached' her from the media department at Carlton. This will sound like 'I have a source', but my daughter's friend worked under Sarah at Carlton, in media, and has nothing but praise for her. I'm not entirely clear on the hierarchy of our media team, but on the CFC website, Sarah is listed as Media Manager which might make her Glen Moriarty's boss. Now Glen does a pretty good job, but he is more in the vein of a 'good bloke' with a friendly 'nudge nudge wink wink' relationship with the players. On Friday night, Sarah was the consummate professional, deftly leading the interviews with the right balance of warmth and sincerity. She was a good foil to Glen's blokey jokey repartee with the players. I thought it worked very well.

Last edited:
On Sarah Allen, we 'poached' her from the media department at Carlton. This will sound like 'I have a source', but my daughter's friend worked under Sarah at Carlton, in media, and has nothing but praise for her.

She was at Hawthorn at one stage ...

Sarah+Allen+Hawthorn+v+Gold+Coast+um5GRh2hcoRl.jpg

I'm not entirely clear on the hierarchy of our media team, but on the CFC website, Sarah is listed as Media Manager which might make her Glen Moriarty's boss.

She is media manager.

Now Glen does a pretty good job, but he is more in the vein of a 'good bloke' with a friendly 'nudge nudge wink wink' relationship with the players. On Friday night, Sarah was the consummate professional, deftly leading the interviews with the right balance of warmth and sincerity. She was a good foil to Glen's blokey jokey repartee with the players. I thought it worked very well.

Completely agree :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a guy i dont fully understand this but ive been told this is a girls nightmare. Magpie Girl and Vicky Park maybe you can explain how these two girls would have felt when they saw each other on friday night in the same frock........
View attachment 182714 View attachment 182715

PF, there is so much wrong with this. The same dress! I've already posted above about the sheer horror. Where to begin?

Firstly, the girls want to stand out at these events. They don't want to see someone in a matching outfit. Exclusivity and difference are the name of the game.

And then there is the issue of Alex Davis being the number one WAG, the very soon to be captain's wife. Adam's GF is way down the pecking order of WAGS, for now at least. She SHOULD NOT be in the same dress.

Tongues must have been wagging about this. Other WAGS whispering about the social disaster.

Of course, common sense could also have prevailed, with everyone not giving a toss, or pretending not to notice. I hope the latter was the case.:D

PF, there is so much wrong with this. The same dress! I've already posted above about the sheer horror. Where to begin?

Firstly, the girls want to stand out at these events. They don't want to see someone in a matching outfit. Exclusivity and difference are the name of the game.

And then there is the issue of Alex Davis being the number one WAG, the very soon to be captain's wife. Adam's GF is way down the pecking order of WAGS, for now at least. She SHOULD NOT be in the same dress.

Tongues must have been wagging about this. Other WAGS whispering about the social disaster.

Of course, common sense could also have prevailed, with everyone not giving a toss, or pretending not to notice. I hope the latter was the case.:D
Isn't it simply Adam showing leadership aspirations?
And thanks heavens the girls are similar build otherwise you would get that "who wore it better" discussion too.

Isn't it simply Adam showing leadership aspirations?
And thanks heavens the girls are similar build otherwise you would get that "who wore it better" discussion too.

Good insight Boo. Adams once again affirming his leadership qualities. And the latter outcome mercifully avoided.

Most of the blokes probably didn't give it a 2nd thought or were lucky to even notice it. Goes down in the WGAF column;)

The best thing in this situation if your a guy is you are best mates with the other guy for the night wearing the same shirt. Women....this doesnt apply

On Sarah Allen, we 'poached' her from the media department at Carlton. This will sound like 'I have a source', but my daughter's friend worked under Sarah at Carlton, in media, and has nothing but praise for her. I'm not entirely clear on the hierarchy of our media team, but on the CFC website, Sarah is listed as Media Manager which might make her Glen Moriarty's boss. Now Glen does a pretty good job, but he is more in the vein of a 'good bloke' with a friendly 'nudge nudge wink wink' relationship with the players. On Friday night, Sarah was the consummate professional, deftly leading the interviews with the right balance of warmth and sincerity. She was a good foil to Glen's blokey jokey repartee with the players. I thought it worked very well.
She came to us from Hawthorn and is the media manager.
She is great talent and is very accessible.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back