Mosquito fleet

Remove this Banner Ad

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
We've added some artillery with Yarran and Bennell. I think this will have a positive effect on the goal kicking of Ballas, Walters and Hill, and to a lesser extent, the rest of the midfield group. I don't really like the idea of our biding our time until one of McCarthy or Hogan comes home, as seems to be the case, and if these even eventuate, but I do like that we've got something different to work with now for this preseason.

We've added some artillery with Yarran and Bennell. I think this will have a positive effect on the goal kicking of Ballas, Walters and Hill, and to a lesser extent, the rest of the midfield group. I don't really like the idea of our biding our time until one of McCarthy or Hogan comes home, as seems to be the case, and if these even eventuate, but I do like that we've got something different to work with now for this preseason.

I agree, lets pin our hopes on getting Vickery and Hooker in free agency.

Seriously, high quality skills and brilliant delivery are key because we can't rely on our forwards to beat their man with out some assistance from further up the field.

Quick kicks out of the pack need to be limited as well.

Pavlich has got to be thinking to himself why did I play on if Freo won't even help themselves by picking any key forwards!

IMHO Moore is the best left available & hope we pick him in the rookie draft.

I agree, lets pin our hopes on getting Vickery and Hooker in free agency.

Seriously, high quality skills and brilliant delivery are key because we can't rely on our forwards to beat their man with out some assistance from further up the field.

Quick kicks out of the pack need to be limited as well.
Leg speed, skills, goal kick nouse, marking ability and X-factor. We have this in spades now. Our delivery to Pav and Tabs and hopefully Apeness should improve but our smalls will also hopefully be a handful, if Ross doesn't have them all playing negating roles.

Pavlich has got to be thinking to himself why did I play on if Freo won't even help themselves by picking any key forwards!

Something tells me that Pav didn't agree to play on thinking that a key forward taken after pick 26 in this years draft was going to step up straight away and give him support in 2016

Which Key forward would have been available at 26 for us to take that will be ready to play round 1?

In a top 4 side?

With a complex game plan and defensive accountability?

Everyone loses their mind on the draft and not selecting anyone over 194cm.

Apeness and Tabs are better options for round 1 than anyone else. I think Pav would prefer someone with a few pre seasons under their belt to a newbie.

Yarran's not that little (Not kpp height but not a midget). And recruiting Collins means Alex can possibly go forward. So I think we've done well getting guys to balance out our current best 22. Getting guys like Apeness on the park is just going to be extra gravy now

Which Key forward would have been available at 26 for us to take that will be ready to play round 1?

In a top 4 side?

With a complex game plan and defensive accountability?

Everyone loses their mind on the draft and not selecting anyone over 194cm.

Apeness and Tabs are better options for round 1 than anyone else. I think Pav would prefer someone with a few pre seasons under their belt to a newbie.
With the mids we just picked up, could've traded Weller and our first pick (even next years pick) to get McCarthy and not lost too much.

With the mids we just picked up, could've traded Weller and our first pick (even next years pick) to get McCarthy and not lost too much.

So GWS were interested in that were they? I can't recall ever seeing any evidence that they would have been interested in Weller plus 2 first round draft picks.

Do you think McCarthy is worth 3 first round draft picks? Because if so, I'm glad Body and Co. didn't.

GWS were never going to trade him, Freo clearly tried every option they could without getting the club.

My original point remains. Who would we have taken above pick 26 that could slot into our team as KPF for round 1?

Except GWS didn't want to trade McCarthy and Weller probably didn't want to go to GWS. And we couldn't have done that anyway because besides from the aforementioned, the club didn't know who would be available come draft day, so on what basis would they have tried to get rid of Weller without that knowledge?

Yarran's not that little (Not kpp height but not a midget). And recruiting Collins means Alex can possibly go forward. So I think we've done well getting guys to balance out our current best 22. Getting guys like Apeness on the park is just going to be extra gravy now
He's a good size, Yarran, without being a tall. Not slender like a Jetta or Walters. Strong-bodied.

Something tells me that Pav didn't agree to play on thinking that a key forward taken after pick 26 in this years draft was going to step up straight away and give him support in 2016

We have known for years that Pav & McPharlin would retire at some point & we haven't prepared for this. Yet another year has passed by without selecting a KPF.

Are either of our first 2 picks going to break into our best 22 next year? So it was another wasted year not developing a KPF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So GWS were interested in that were they? I can't recall ever seeing any evidence that they would have been interested in Weller plus 2 first round draft picks.

Do you think McCarthy is worth 3 first round draft picks? Because if so, I'm glad Body and Co. didn't.

GWS were never going to trade him, Freo clearly tried every option they could without getting the club.

My original point remains. Who would we have taken above pick 26 that could slot into our team as KPF for round 1?
We will never know if GWS was interested because we didn't even off up Weller to them or for an upgrade of another pick. The best forward in this draft went pick 2. How many late first round, early 2nd rounds (what we so-called offered) will get you pick #2? How much is Schache better than McCarthy?

We will never know if GWS was interested because we didn't even off up Weller to them or for an upgrade of another pick. The best forward in this draft went pick 2. How many late first round, early 2nd rounds (what we so-called offered) will get you pick #2? How much is Schache better than McCarthy?
We do know whether GWS were interested because GWS pretty much said, unequivocally, the entire time, that they were not trading McCarthy.

I think our drafting is fine and we have upped the skill level around the ground. Look at Hawthorn, they really only have Roughhead as a tall in their forward line, the damage is done by their mobile flankers and midfielders (Bruest, Rioli, Gunston, Puopolo, etc..).
We now have Ballantyne, Walters, Bennell, Yarran, Hill, Mayne, Crozier running around. Not bad IMO.
IF Tabs and A.Pearce can progress as expected then we will be very hard to stop.

Is this the discussion we should have had?

Freo - "We want McCarthy"
GWS - "You're not having him"
Freo - "We'll give you two first round picks"
GWS - "You're not having him"
Freo - "We'll throw in our most promising young mid as well"
GWS - "F*@# off desperados"

According to McCarthy's manager, a player trade was on the table and GWS were NOT INTERESTED.

Get over it, you can't kidnap players.

I think Yarran is a smart pick. He can have an impact next year and at the very least should make sides think twice about double teaming Pav all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apart from Moore, who clearly no club rated, which player would you have drafted to play alongside Pavlich next year that would be a better option than Taberner or Pearce (assuming Collins frees him to play forward). Feel free to be quite specific and let us know at which selection you take him.

The whole point is to be able to score goals. Height is useful only if you can take marks and kick goals.

With the addition of Bennell and Yarran, we already have more firepower up front. It'll be interesting where Alex Pearce train in the preseason. He may be pushed forward if Colin is plug and play.

It'll be really handy if we landed another tall target who can kick goals up front, but well, damn you doggies :)
Still, it'll be interesting playing with what we have now. We actual did ok with a small forward line in 2013 when Pav and Kep were injured. Let's just wait and see what happens.

Yarran will play next year, you don't pick a 26yr old to play in your reserves. He will either replace Mayne or Sunny in the forward line I feel.

If he replaces Mayne it would mean a giant shift in RTB's gameplan. Mayne's role isn't to kick goals, if it was he wouldn't have polled so well in the Doig. So replacing Mayne with Yarran will be risky acquisition for RTB but I feel it's essential for us kicking more goals.

If he replaced Sunny, Sunny then would move into the midfield. I'm not against the idea, but Sunny is more valuable to us up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back