Details on National Comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Article on Girls Play Footy http://www.[NB: girlsplayfooty doma...5/10/a-glimpse-into-female-footys-future.html

That is a fair basis for 6 teams, and I have watched the grand finals for the WAWFL, QWAFL, and Sydney AFL recently, and it would be fair to say each game had another 5 or 6 players as good as players already listed. Another 30 players to add to the lists would be readily available out of current players, and with another year of girls coming out of Youth girls, getting to 20 decent players per team by 2017 is feasible. The issue will be the next 8 - 10 on the list.

The other issue is the lack of details on the coming comp, and what will happen. I think they have it backwards here. The stakeholders in Female footy are the trailblazers here, and it is in the nature of trailblazing that no one can tell you where exactly to go, or the best way to get there. The AFL have not announced a framework or vision for the womens comp, for the female footy fraternity to move towards, because it is the female footy fraternity that is creating the vision and framework.

The AFL is not blazing a trail for womens footy to follow, womens footy is blazing a trail for the AFL to follow.

The female footy 'industry' has not announced a plan for one simple reason, it isnt ready.

When it comes, they will want it to be clear, developed and concrete. This number of teams, this number of players, this structure, this schedule, this process. They do not want to announce a vague plan of, hoping for this number of teams, would like this number of players, maybe start about then, hoping that this process may work.

Vague plans announced early that they cannot quite meet makes them look like the part time amateur somewhat dis organised female sport they used to be, when they want to be seen as a part of an organisation considered the most professional and organised in Australian sport.

I get that. But, I think it comes down to $$. If the dollars are there, then we will be viable in our own right. I do have ideas as to how this could assimilate and transition, but I'd need to talk to Gil about it. At present he isn't replying to my emails, but rest assured I will report back when he does.

I get that. But, I think it comes down to $$. If the dollars are there, then we will be viable in our own right. I do have ideas as to how this could assimilate and transition, but I'd need to talk to Gil about it. At present he isn't replying to my emails, but rest assured I will report back when he does.

This article on Womens footy has some more info "leaked" however these articles are keeping the footy public informed which is a big positive.
Really interesting to see the backgrounds/sports from where some of the players will come from. We all thought some of the Canadians would front up as they are the current International Cup holders.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/11/25/academy-brings-women-step-closer-afl-reality

Essendon announce interest in putting in bid for a womens team. Also noticed in an interview that Essendon hope Womens footy will be commercially viable and televised by 2027. Thought that interesting, is it based on briefings from the AFL? Also interesting that despite expecting a womens comp will not be commercially viable for at least 12 years, Essendon are putting up their hand now.

I think that is promising, in that if the current interest in hosting womens teams is despite thinking that we are years of commercial viability, this reduces pressure on the comp in the initial years. Clubs are going in expecting to have to carry the team in the short to medium term.

I also think expecting broadcasts in 10 years is of, I actually think it will be broadcast from the very first game. Although to be fair he may have meant it will be both broadcast and commercially viable in 2027, with broadcasting occurring much earlier of the 2.

Essendon announce interest in putting in bid for a womens team. Also noticed in an interview that Essendon hope Womens footy will be commercially viable and televised by 2027. Thought that interesting, is it based on briefings from the AFL? Also interesting that despite expecting a womens comp will not be commercially viable for at least 12 years, Essendon are putting up their hand now.

I think that is promising, in that if the current interest in hosting womens teams is despite thinking that we are years of commercial viability, this reduces pressure on the comp in the initial years. Clubs are going in expecting to have to carry the team in the short to medium term.

I also think expecting broadcasts in 10 years is of, I actually think it will be broadcast from the very first game. Although to be fair he may have meant it will be both broadcast and commercially viable in 2027, with broadcasting occurring much earlier of the 2.

I cannot find the article now but the boss of the Ch7 Media division said earlier this year that they would be very interested in covering the mooted National comp. That was after the match that CH7 broadcast nationally.
The FTA networks are under pressure from VOD (Streaming etc) and CH7 realise live sport (AFL) is a winner for them in key markets. So I think at least one game per week will maybe be covered initially.
Change of topic.....
We recently had a browse of the various Facebook pages that cover Womens footy in WA. We were surprised to find new clubs/competitions popping up in the regional centres across the state including the North West.
The growth of Womens footy is a huge plus for our game and strengthens it considerably.

I cannot find the article now but the boss of the Ch7 Media division said earlier this year that they would be very interested in covering the mooted National comp. That was after the match that CH7 broadcast nationally.
The FTA networks are under pressure from VOD (Streaming etc) and CH7 realise live sport (AFL) is a winner for them in key markets. So I think at least one game per week will maybe be covered initially.
Change of topic.....
We recently had a browse of the various Facebook pages that cover Womens footy in WA. We were surprised to find new clubs/competitions popping up in the regional centres across the state including the North West.
The growth of Womens footy is a huge plus for our game and strengthens it considerably.
I am from WA, but find it the hardest state to get any info on from women's footy. I have no real idea how it is structured here outside the wawfl, or what is happening in youth and junior ranks. Youth girls grand final had one of the teams lend players to the other so they could field a side.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I am from WA, but find it the hardest state to get any info on from women's footy. I have no real idea how it is structured here outside the wawfl, or what is happening in youth and junior ranks. Youth girls grand final had one of the teams lend players to the other so they could field a side.

Writing for Girls Play Footy, I found it hard to get weekly match info out of WA.

It was easy to write a NSW or Qld report, because in their match centre you'd have the six best players named and quarter-by-quarter scores.

Unfortunately in WA, they would post final scores and that was about it. Yes, I should pick up the phone and call people, but when you have limited time outside of work, plus other states to write, it doesn't make it easy.

That said, the video coverage of this year's Grand Finals by the WAWFL was brilliant!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...football-license/story-e6frf3e3-1227632017896

This Foxsports article on Melbourne based teams chasing a womens football license is interesting because of its underlying assumptions. It states a 6 team cap initially, with 2 interstate teams and 4 Victorian teams. It mentions Queensland as the site of 1 team, you would assume WA is the other.

It also lists the 6 Melbourne teams interested, but I have heard elsewhere that Geelong and Hawks are likely to be interested to, so that makes 8 after 4 licenses.

Not sure if the assumptions are based on inside knowledge or guesswork.

Writing for Girls Play Footy, I found it hard to get weekly match info out of WA.

It was easy to write a NSW or Qld report, because in their match centre you'd have the six best players named and quarter-by-quarter scores.

Unfortunately in WA, they would post final scores and that was about it. Yes, I should pick up the phone and call people, but when you have limited time outside of work, plus other states to write, it doesn't make it easy.

That said, the video coverage of this year's Grand Finals by the WAWFL was brilliant!

You are both right about the WA situation about info it is a bit scattered away from the WAWL. We did notice via the Facebook pages--
A new Womens club in Geraldton forming, A Womens comp in at least one of the Norwest towns and so on. Areas like the South West will likely have clubs as well.

Youth girls grand final had one of the teams lend players to the other so they could field a side.

They played the whole season like that. Half a dozen dominant players especially with smaller teams means you win. They didnt bother recruiting either. Most of the other clubs can get full squads. Coastal Titans (Subiaco) struggle while Claremont only field a team as the use Clontarf Aboriginal College.

Peel dominate and could field multiple teams.

Districts have started comps for junior girls under 13s as a pathway.

There are enormous issues with how WAWFL is run in WA (vested interest rather than common good) but the growth in the juniors is astounding.

Unless they get players to move state WA will dominate early seasons. WA did beat Vic this season and splitting Vic talent through 4 while WA have one team?

They played the whole season like that. Half a dozen dominant players especially with smaller teams means you win. They didnt bother recruiting either. Most of the other clubs can get full squads. Coastal Titans (Subiaco) struggle while Claremont only field a team as the use Clontarf Aboriginal College.

Peel dominate and could field multiple teams.

Districts have started comps for junior girls under 13s as a pathway.

There are enormous issues with how WAWFL is run in WA (vested interest rather than common good) but the growth in the juniors is astounding.

Unless they get players to move state WA will dominate early seasons. WA did beat Vic this season and splitting Vic talent through 4 while WA have one team?
Well hopefully they get there act together. All those juniors have to go somewhere, and at this stage, I am thinking for a lot it will be soccer. The VWFL have 7 divisions and I think they are adding a regional league as well. With premier division going to ten teams. WAWFL could find itself behind Queensland soon in terms of playing depth and quality (already might be in terms of depth).

Well hopefully they get there act together. All those juniors have to go somewhere, and at this stage, I am thinking for a lot it will be soccer. The VWFL have 7 divisions and I think they are adding a regional league as well. With premier division going to ten teams. WAWFL could find itself behind Queensland soon in terms of playing depth and quality (already might be in terms of depth).

Just when we thought the media articles on this topic might drop off a bit here is another one. The Geelong Cats have indicated they are taking a serious look at the new comp.
Actually the piece discusses items that have not been mentioned before -Team Cost to run -Season length -8 teams and player depth - Minimal players wages at first.
I think 6 teams is the only way forward at this time for the reasons mentioned earlier on this thread.
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...d/news-story/a6df15b455fe1ce05bc5dcda753fca7f

The 2 WA AFL teams are interested in getting involved they said last week and the Eagle CEO Trevor Nesbit seems the most keen of the 2. He said their club would rely on the WAWFL and Jan Cooper for the player selection of the WA team.
However ALL AFL Clubs are waiting for the model to be used.

A six team comp means 4 Vic, 1 WA and one Qld. I can't see that working. And a 10 game season. Way to go half hearted. You need one in each state. Preferably 2 in WA and maybe Qld to start.

There is a lot more talent around than some of the people think. Time in even a semi professional environment will improve a lot of the borderline players immensely.

The hard part will be ensuring an even competition. Something Womens Football is not good at.

The whole thing will cost less the AFL pay for GWS.

Just when we thought the media articles on this topic might drop off a bit here is another one. The Geelong Cats have indicated they are taking a serious look at the new comp.
Actually the piece discusses items that have not been mentioned before -Team Cost to run -Season length -8 teams and player depth - Minimal players wages at first.
I think 6 teams is the only way forward at this time for the reasons mentioned earlier on this thread.
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...d/news-story/a6df15b455fe1ce05bc5dcda753fca7f

The 2 WA AFL teams are interested in getting involved they said last week and the Eagle CEO Trevor Nesbit seems the most keen of the 2. He said their club would rely on the WAWFL and Jan Cooper for the player selection of the WA team.
However ALL AFL Clubs are waiting for the model to be used.
It is interesting that less than 10 years ago Jan Cooper did a survey on AFL clubs about a national womens football league, and the pretty universal response from CEOs was, great idea, hope it succeeds, nothing to do with me, I run an AFL club.

I suspect by the time the AFL finally runs out their plans, 75 - 100% of clubs will want to be part of it.

Huge change

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is interesting that less than 10 years ago Jan Cooper did a survey on AFL clubs about a national womens football league, and the pretty universal response from CEOs was, great idea, hope it succeeds, nothing to do with me, I run an AFL club.

I suspect by the time the AFL finally runs out their plans, 75 - 100% of clubs will want to be part of it.

Huge change
To reflect that huge change The Adelaide Crows have announced they want to be involved by appointing Jane Woodlands-Thompson to their Womens footy advisory committee. That lady is an ex Netball Championship winning coach, from which the Crows will tap into her Womens Sport expertise.
Really like the comments in the article about having as many people as possible involved our game.
The current buzzword in the media scene is "interuptor". Well I think the Womens League has the "potential" to be a major interuptor for the other National Womens sports leagues over time.
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2015-12-08/crows-want-womens-team

The comments above about the WA league -About 35,000 players and the QLD league About 60,000 players are valid but we believe the standard of coaching in a Aussie Rules heartland (WA) will be the difference between the two.

To reflect that huge change The Adelaide Crows have announced they want to be involved by appointing Jane Woodlands-Thompson to their Womens footy advisory committee. That lady is an ex Netball Championship winning coach, from which the Crows will tap into her Womens Sport expertise.
Really like the comments in the article about having as many people as possible involved our game.
The current buzzword in the media scene is "interuptor". Well I think the Womens League has the "potential" to be a major interuptor for the other National Womens sports leagues over time.
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2015-12-08/crows-want-womens-team

The comments above about the WA league -About 35,000 players and the QLD league About 60,000 players are valid but we believe the standard of coaching in a Aussie Rules heartland (WA) will be the difference between the two.

The chief Football writer for the Age newspaper Caroline Wilson who has very good contacts at AFL House has put together another article on the Womens League. Lots of topics in this article courtesy I would say of the head AFL honchos.
As predicted on here the Clubs are falling over themselves to be involved now and how about a televised first season mentioned- Can that be true.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...es-way-for-womens-league-20151209-gljoja.html
Any comments on this article.

The chief Football writer for the Age newspaper Caroline Wilson who has very good contacts at AFL House has put together another article on the Womens League. Lots of topics in this article courtesy I would say of the head AFL honchos.
As predicted on here the Clubs are falling over themselves to be involved now and how about a televised first season mentioned- Can that be true.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...es-way-for-womens-league-20151209-gljoja.html
Firstly, I think BF has discussed almost all the issues raised, and arrived through hints and deduction at a pretty good idea of most of that some time ago.

What I find interesting is the bits of info dropped about the clubs. That the Pies have made a strong pitch to the AFL (which they have kept pretty close to their chests), that Geelong have incorporated design changes into Simmons VFL developments to accommodate female teams, and commissioned an external feasibility study, that the Crows have devised a plan to get around the perceived weakness of womens footy in SA, to try to avoid the possibility of SA missing out completely.

What this shows is the clubs are viewing this really seriously, and the comp when it arrives will not consist of teams foisted on to clubs that do not really want them, but will be part of clubs that fought hard to get them. That is a good sign for the amount of support they can expect to receive from the club, and that the clubs are unlikely to sit them in a corner somewhere and forget about them.

The comments that concerned me was the wanting to get the AFL comp out of the way so not to hurt the local leagues. The old vested interest i want my club to win the comp mentality again. More interested in protecting there little empire than growing the game.

The national comp should be the centerpiece not a sideshow to the local leagues. If they are serious the GF should be in that finals gap.

And the local comps will be the better for it with evening out as fominant clubs losing players bring them back to the field so you don't have to play for the big clubs to get noticed.

The comments that concerned me was the wanting to get the AFL comp out of the way so not to hurt the local leagues. The old vested interest i want my club to win the comp mentality again. More interested in protecting there little empire than growing the game.

The national comp should be the centerpiece not a sideshow to the local leagues. If they are serious the GF should be in that finals gap.

And the local comps will be the better for it with evening out as fominant clubs losing players bring them back to the field so you don't have to play for the big clubs to get noticed.

As I understand it the first few years are mooted to be a transition from the current status quo to the desired competition.

Over those first few years that might see a 6-8 week competition between approximately 6 teams, gaining televised exposure through prominent timeslots scheduled around NAB Cup Matches.

This buys a little bit of time for more youth girls to come through, whilst initially allowing the top talent to go back to their state leagues to pass on their AFL experience.

Strong state leagues will be necessary to ensure that the second tier continues developing more quality players over the next few years and into the future.

There are also whispers that the interstate matches in 2016 will take on AFL branding to build a bit more exposure leading into 2017, with the final Demons v Bulldogs exhibition match trying to stake a claim to the week before the AFL finals.

As I understand it the first few years are mooted to be a transition from the current status quo to the desired competition.

Over those first few years that might see a 6-8 week competition between approximately 6 teams, gaining televised exposure through prominent timeslots scheduled around NAB Cup Matches.

This buys a little bit of time for more youth girls to come through, whilst initially allowing the top talent to go back to their state leagues to pass on their AFL experience.

Strong state leagues will be necessary to ensure that the second tier continues developing more quality players over the next few years and into the future.

There are also whispers that the interstate matches in 2016 will take on AFL branding to build a bit more exposure leading into 2017, with the final Demons v Bulldogs exhibition match trying to stake a claim to the week before the AFL finals.

I heard that two Vic sides will host NSW/ACT and Queensland in March. Most likely at Princes Park.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2nd Demons v Bulldogs match (if held in the pre-finals gap) was played at Whitten Oval, as a little test to see how many will show up at 'VFL' venues to watch women's matches. Only hiccup is, it would land smack bang during most women's leagues finals.

By the way, for those in PR, notice the timing of all the articles about club's be interested? Right leading up to the first WBBL. An attempt to steal some of the spotlight. You'd have good money on them pulling out some announcement before the first televised WBBL game, again, to take part of the spotlight.

I heard that two Vic sides will host NSW/ACT and Queensland in March. Most likely at Princes Park.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2nd Demons v Bulldogs match (if held in the pre-finals gap) was played at Whitten Oval, as a little test to see how many will show up at 'VFL' venues to watch women's matches. Only hiccup is, it would land smack bang during most women's leagues finals.

By the way, for those in PR, notice the timing of all the articles about club's be interested? Right leading up to the first WBBL. An attempt to steal some of the spotlight. You'd have good money on them pulling out some announcement before the first televised WBBL game, again, to take part of the spotlight.

Those academies sound like they will be having a joint weekend in March as you've said. Each state then likely having their own local exhibition match around April (ie Lions v Suns up here). What would usually be the state representative teams would then play one-off matches wearing AFL jerseys in June-July. All culminating in the final Bulldogs v Demons match prior to the AFL pre-finals gap. Not sure what other states will do about scheduling around those dates, but indications are that the QWAFL will have league byes on each of those weekends.

Those academies sound like they will be having a joint weekend in March as you've said. Each state then likely having their own local exhibition match around April (ie Lions v Suns up here). What would usually be the state representative teams would then play one-off matches wearing AFL jerseys in June-July. All culminating in the final Bulldogs v Demons match prior to the AFL pre-finals gap. Not sure what other states will do about scheduling around those dates, but indications are that the QWAFL will have league byes on each of those weekends.

The Adelaide Crows are still pushing their case to be involved. However they are behind in development to the other states. Dont like their prospects at this time but you never know.
It appears that the AFL Commission will meet next week to consider the AFL`s initial report. No major decisions will be made though.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...-are-encouraging/story-fnia3xzy-1227641082443

Greater Western Sydney have spoken up and are stating their case which will include the ACT Womens League. This particular league is growing strongly according to GWS.
We have not seen any participation figures for Sydney/NSW recently -Will have to check it out.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...to-be-part-of-womens-afl-20151210-glkej3.html

The Adelaide Crows are still pushing their case to be involved. However they are behind in development to the other states. Dont like their prospects at this time but you never know.
It appears that the AFL Commission will meet next week to consider the AFL`s initial report. No major decisions will be made though.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...-are-encouraging/story-fnia3xzy-1227641082443

Greater Western Sydney have spoken up and are stating their case which will include the ACT Womens League. This particular league is growing strongly according to GWS.
We have not seen any participation figures for Sydney/NSW recently -Will have to check it out.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...to-be-part-of-womens-afl-20151210-glkej3.html
SA should be involved. A six team comp is a half assed exhibition series. All states have to be involved and the WNAFL has to carefully balance the strengths of the states with the no of teams involved. You can live with poorer quality for a while if the matches are close are competitive. Ive seen many womens games where the skill is lacking but you enjoy the game because of the intensity and the competitiveness.

SA should be involved. A six team comp is a half assed exhibition series. All states have to be involved and the WNAFL has to carefully balance the strengths of the states with the no of teams involved. You can live with poorer quality for a while if the matches are close are competitive. Ive seen many womens games where the skill is lacking but you enjoy the game because of the intensity and the competitiveness.

Are you proposing an 8 team comp - 5 = Vic and 1 each WA SA QLD. That set up excludes NSW/ACT at the time. Or do you have different ideas.
WNAFL that could be the future name although the "AFL" is usually a prefix EG AFLQLD, AFLNZ
So perhaps AFLWNL.

Last edited:
Are you proposing an 8 team comp - 5 = Vic and 1 each WA SA QLD. That set up excludes NSW/ACT at the time. Or do you have different ideas.
WNAFL that could be the future name although the "AFL" is usually a prefix EG AFLQLD, AFLNZ
So perhaps AFLWNL.
I'd go 10. A second WA and a NSWACT. While WA lacks number depth one WA team without interstate relocations would dominate. Remember WA beat Vic in an interstste match this year. Qld would be pushing for the next expansion.

As long as it's not the AWFL!

I'd go 10. A second WA and a NSWACT. While WA lacks number depth one WA team without interstate relocations would dominate. Remember WA beat Vic in an interstste match this year. Qld would be pushing for the next expansion.

As long as it's not the AWFL!
I suspect if you split Vic into 5 and WA into 2. it is QLD who would dominate. I do not think they are that far off a full strength WA side, and WAs depth would start to be tested outside the top 30 or so. SA is the problem though, ideally they should be included but, QLD, half WA or 1/5th Vic would all dominate SA. If it was a weak Tas, or NT side, no one would even think of including them, not sure SA should get a pass for ignoring womens footy to long, just because it is SA.

A very interesting article here http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...e/news-story/842e6f0ed6e944a9740d5d30ff5127b4

The article states that the 2017 league is not a done deal because they have not stitched up broadcasts. No broadcast means no exposure, limited sponsors, no money. With no money, no real prospect of a meaningful draft, no relocations to even the comp, no prospect of a living wage.

Catch 22, they cannot build the sort of comp required without the exposure TV brings, TV will not commit to an unknown product.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back