Port, Bulldogs, Demons and St Kilda DENIED top up players - AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I get that but the actual club who were the architect of the whole thing do get top up players. Go figure
Surely you realise why we have top up players. I mean, we can sit out for the year if you'd like, but watch how channel 7 and Fox will react to that.

12 players suspended, 10 top up players.

Surely you realise why we have top up players. I mean, we can sit out for the year if you'd like, but watch how channel 7 and Fox will react to that.

Yep, you nailed the problem right there.

TV rights and money before integrity.

If the league had any integrity it wouldnt matter what Fox or Seven thought. And even accounting fort that inevitability, 12 players out should have resulted in a greater club penalty - as ive said, shut down the VFL side for a year, allow the Bombers to use their VFL top ups, but that should have been it.

I do get it. I also think the other clubs should have been allowed to top up and also given the go ahead at the same time Essendon did so they could have a crack at the players Essendon had already signed if they liked

Yep, you nailed the problem right there.

TV rights and money before integrity.
Well the AFL is a business.

Channel 7 and Fox wouldn't be happy with an uncompetitive Essendon getting smashed by 100+ points every week like people on here want. The AFL also can't have us sitting out for the year because of the number of games that they have to meet as per the TV rights deal.

So the best alternative for them to keep Essendon competitive is topping up with players without it affecting other competitions too much.

I do get it. I also think the other clubs should have been allowed to top up and also given the go ahead at the same time Essendon did so they could have a crack at the players Essendon had already signed if they liked
Hey take that up with the other 13 clubs that weren't so keen on them topping up.

If the league had any integrity it wouldnt matter what Fox or Seven thought. And even accounting fort that inevitability, 12 players out should have resulted in a greater club penalty - as ive said, shut down the VFL side for a year, allow the Bombers to use their VFL top ups, but that should have been it.
Like I mentioned, the AFL is a business. They'll lose a lot of money with having a completely uncompetitive Essendon side, so they have used this top up system as an alternative to keep channel 7 and Fox happy, while minimising the impact on other state leagues.

Like I mentioned, the AFL is a business. They'll lose a lot of money with having a completely uncompetitive Essendon side, so they have used this top up system as an alternative to keep channel 7 and Fox happy, while minimising the impact on other state leagues.

Im well aware the AFL is a business. Im saying that its a stupid situation that has been poorly and insufficiently dealt with.

Im well aware the AFL is a business. Im saying that its a stupid situation that has been poorly and insufficiently dealt with.
I think that surprisingly, it actually had been dealt with in a good way from a business perspective. There are so many different parties involved in the current situation and allowing top ups with the current criteria to be used by Essendon keeps most involved happy. It doesn't compromise any state league, while keeping the tv stations happy, while keeping Essendon supporters satisfied enough to buy memberships/attending games, without upsetting other clubs for the most part seeing that we won't gain any advantage over others by essentially using rejects.

Yeah some opposition supporters that want to see Essendon burned to the ground aren't happy, but their outrage won't affect the AFL much. They'll keep watching, attending and buying memberships.

This is the closest to making everyone happy while maximising the AFL's ability to profit in this situation, which in turn, will go back to the other clubs' benefit

I think that surprisingly, it actually had been dealt with in a good way from a business perspective. There are so many different parties involved in the current situation and allowing top ups with the current criteria to be used by Essendon keeps most involved happy. It doesn't compromise any state league, while keeping the tv stations happy, while keeping Essendon supporters satisfied enough to buy memberships/attending games, without upsetting other clubs for the most part seeing that we won't gain any advantage over others by essentially using rejects.

Yeah some opposition supporters that want to see Essendon burned to the ground aren't happy, but their outrage won't affect the AFL much. They'll keep watching, attending and buying memberships.

This is the closest to making everyone happy while maximising the AFL's ability to profit in this situation, which in turn, will go back to the other clubs' benefit

It is what every decision of the Commission has been for the last 10 years, a watered down compromise that doesnt actually deal with a specific issue outright, just implies it as discretely and quietly as possible. Few people are happy with how this has gone down. And the average supporter doesnt give a crap about AFL profitability.

It is what every decision of the Commission has been for the last 10 years, a watered down compromise that doesnt actually deal with a specific issue outright, just implies it as discretely and quietly as possible. Few people are happy with how this has gone down. And the average supporter doesnt give a crap about AFL profitability.
Which I understand. While few people may be happy about the decision, it won't affect memberships, nor TV rights (which otherwise, might have affected the other clubs as well). In fact, Essendon's membership is ahead of this time last year despite a late start.

You can want Essendon to burn to the ground, but it isn't going to happen. That's the AFL for you.

The outrage on here is really pointless. Surely one exposed to the same stimilus every time will adjust to that stimilus and adopt accordingly? "THE AFL ONLY CARES ABOUT MONEY". That's not something new. Look at the fixture imbalance. If this surprises anyone, then they'll need to adapt their expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which I understand. While few people may be happy about the decision, it won't affect memberships, nor TV rights (which otherwise, might have affected the other clubs as well). In fact, Essendon's membership is ahead of this time last year despite a late start.

You can want Essendon to burn to the ground, but it isn't going to happen. That's the AFL for you.

The outrage on here is really pointless. Surely one exposed to the same stimilus every time will adjust to that stimilus and adopt accordingly? "THE AFL ONLY CARES ABOUT MONEY". That's not something new. Look at the fixture imbalance. If this surprises anyone, then they'll need to adapt their expectations.

You cant expect people to be happy with the system. Its just not going to happen.

Channel 7 and Fox wouldn't be happy with an uncompetitive Essendon getting smashed by 100+ points every week like people on here want. The AFL also can't have us sitting out for the year because of the number of games that they have to meet as per the TV rights deal.

So the best alternative for them to keep Essendon competitive is topping up with players without it affecting other competitions too much.
I'm not entirely sure - the only AFL games I watched last year were the ones where Hirdie was squirming and pouting in the coaches box. Sometimes you just can't resist a good train-wreck in progress!

What is the reason efc are allowed top ups and other sides are not?

"buyer beware" is a pretty rubbish reason

What is the reason efc are allowed top ups and other sides are not?

"buyer beware" is a pretty rubbish reason
Health and safety reasons: fear of exposing many unready EFC players to the elite level too soon.

At least that what "she" said.

For Power, WB, Saints, Demons - should be able to upgrade rookies to replace suspended players ... Then replace those rookies.

For Essendon, I want 100% one year top ups so they get no advantage of being able to keep an upgraded rookie over an older washed up player when the suspended players return.

I feel SO sorry for these clubs that used the supplements saga to poach players from us.

Poor Port Adelaide, who pressured Ryder to break his contract so they wouldn't have to trade.

Poor St Kilda, who threatened the same with Carlisle.

Melbourne, at least, played it above board. I feel for them.

I suspect neutral viewers would be more interested in watching a gutted Essendon than a plain ordinary one, but the AFL might be right. We will never know.

Broadcasters would be better off taking a long view and accepting that sport is more interesting when people feel they can trust the results - when they/we are feeling confident that play and results are not being twisted by betting or PEDs. The AFL and its pet media with their determination to let Esdendon down as easily as they can get away with is leaving a lot more distaste and loss of trust than they realise.

I think it's funny that the only club that have an issue with this decision is port.

Port knew the CAS decision was coming when the draft was on last year. I thought it would have been list management 101 to draft a mature Ruckman onto the list or rookie list just in case the worst scenario was realized.

Instead, they want the AFL to grant special permission because of list management failure.

I mean who goes into the season with only 2 rucks that can play AFL? It's why west coast recruited Giles, we recruited Sinclair etc Geelong recruiting Smith etc... ....

I 100% agree with the decision. I see it as no different to an LTI, a normal drug suspension etc.... This is why clubs have a rookie list. That is its purpose in addition to unearthing talent.

I also agree with Essendon getting top ups because they wouldn't be able to field a team.

Last edited:
Shut down the VFL side?

Surely you're taking the piss?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back