On the weekend I played...

Remove this Banner Ad

Played BSG again the other day for the first time in like half a year. Cylons won one turn before the humans could jump and get the win. Man that is such a great game.

Game day yesterday for a mate's birthday.

Roll for the Galaxy - Always a good one. Came equal second.

Blood Rage - Absolutely great game, even though I came 4th... of 4 players. Get it if you don't have it. I would have played this again gladly.

Libertalia - I was getting a bit pissed by this point so I had no faculties to deal with this as a 6-player game. Also have a cold or virus or something so just wasn't making any good decisions.

Galaxy Truckers - Another great, fun game. I won! I must have sobered up...

Other people played Kemet, La Granja (Spanish farming??), Greed and Splendor

Apart from RftG and Libertalia which I own, Blood Rage, Galaxy Trucker, Kemet and Splendor are all on my bucket list to play one day.

Played BSG again the other day for the first time in like half a year. Cylons won one turn before the humans could jump and get the win. Man that is such a great game.

Apart from RftG and Libertalia which I own, Blood Rage, Galaxy Trucker, Kemet and Splendor are all on my bucket list to play one day.
I haven't played Kemet either but it does seem to be a regular for a few other people - that is they play it once or twice a year when they get the chance.

And Cards Against Humanity. Not for the politically correct.
This game so lends itself to the AFL, particularly the Off-Season. You don't even need an AFL themed expansion, the base sets work.

Luke Hodge - I drink to forget ... drinking alone.
Kim Duthrie and Ricky Nixon - Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's .. Daddy issues.

This game so lends itself to the AFL, particularly the Off-Season. You don't even need an AFL themed expansion, the base sets work.

Luke Hodge - I drink to forget ... drinking alone.
Kim Duthrie and Ricky Nixon - Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's .. Daddy issues.
And AFL expansion would be awesome though.

This weekend, finally broke out the expansions for Lords of Waterdeep (Skullport and Undermountain) last night, for a game against the other half. The corruption track (extra resources available at a cost), makes it more interesting.

The eldest son likes Smallworld (and one must encourage the spread of geek from one generation to the next), so him, the wife and I played it (base game plus a few expansions) this afternoon.

Got in games of Between Two Cities, City of Horror (which was more fun this time as we worked out that cards are very limited), and Roll for The Galaxy which I won on 51 points - my best score ever.

RftG I just had good luck with cheap planets with the same colour dice, and a development that gave bonus money for consuming goods. Ended the game with 27 VP chips alone.

I played Robo rally today. Man that's a fun game. Basically you have cards that order your piece to move around the board to get to the flags first (and in the right orderl
). each movement you do can be affected by other players' moves, and conveyor belts - players can bump you off course completely changing your turn.

In both the games we played, the players whose robots died first won! (you get 3 lives).

Takes about an hour and a half with 3 players, (we had one newbie and no times on turns, but the wait was never too long).

The only problem is that if your robot gets damaged you have to miss a turn to recover, which makes that turn a bit boring as other players make their moves.

I think it'd be even more fun with 4 players, but you can play up to 8 on a map! (never tried that though!)

Played Machi Koro yesterday and had great success with a Convenience Store overload (4 of them). Not something that will work again as the wife won't let me monopolise them I'm sure (plus would be harder with more players).

Today broke out Dark, Darker, Darkest for it's first run. Post Apocalyptic search through the infested manor of the zombie plague creator. Avoid / destroy the zombies as you try to get the code keys to break into his lab and get the cure. Co-operative, so everyone lives or dies.

Setup and ready to go. Just the two of us, so playing 2 survivors each.

DDD - Setup.jpg

Getting a bit too much love from the zombies.

DDD- Progress.jpg

And it didn't end well, the house burning, zombies all around and out of time. Not too far off, a few too many mistakes, with overlooked options for the first run through. Hopefully next time will reach the final encounter.

DDD - End.jpg

Played our weekly RPG last Sunday. My turn to GM Call of Cthulhu. The party solved WTF was going on in snowbound Colorado and defeated the local Big Bad without too much damage to themselves. Except for the party member who got bitten by the werewolf and doesn't know if biting is how lycanthropy is transmitted. He'll just have to wait and see... snicker.

Tomorrow it's back to one of the other guys DMing Pathfinder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played Zombicide after watching the Superbowl on Monday. Played one of the Easy scenarios (Grindhouse). After winning we all had that sense of "that seemed a bit too easy". A quick look at the special rules for the scenario showed us what we'd stuffed up. Opening one door in a building also opens the other door in the building; no wonder we had a bunch of zombies milling about in one room (with a door) doing stuff all.

Despite that mistake and some other small ones, I enjoyed it. I liked the multiple scenarios factor, with varying difficulties, too. Look forward to another chance to play it.

Played Zombicide after watching the Superbowl on Monday. Played one of the Easy scenarios (Grindhouse). After winning we all had that sense of "that seemed a bit too easy". A quick look at the special rules for the scenario showed us what we'd stuffed up. Opening one door in a building also opens the other door in the building; no wonder we had a bunch of zombies milling about in one room (with a door) doing stuff all.

Despite that mistake and some other small ones, I enjoyed it. I liked the multiple scenarios factor, with varying difficulties, too. Look forward to another chance to play it.
That is my problem with Zombicide, they bury some pretty pivotal rules in paragraphs. When you're trying to get the game going with a group of new players, or when you haven't played in a while, it is easy to start a paragraph, assume it is just descriptive and skim it or jump to the next paragraph.

That is my problem with Zombicide, they bury some pretty pivotal rules in paragraphs. When you're trying to get the game going with a group of new players, or when you haven't played in a while, it is easy to start a paragraph, assume it is just descriptive and skim it or jump to the next paragraph.
I dunno. Each scenario does have the heading Special Rules, so I'd have thought it fairly obvious.

http://zombicide.com/dl/Mission_07.pdf

I dunno. Each scenario does have the heading Special Rules, so I'd have thought it fairly obvious.

http://zombicide.com/dl/Mission_07.pdf
I'm thinking of the main rules where we missed two pretty important things. A simple diagram would have done the trick. More game designers need to allow for the fact people are trying to get the game going quickly with people who have never played before. Stuff like Fury of Dracula where they have a getting started booklet, then specific rules in a reference booklet that you can look up when you hit that part of the game. Separate specifics from generalities and flavour text.

Played our weekly RPG last Sunday. My turn to GM Call of Cthulhu. The party solved WTF was going on in snowbound Colorado and defeated the local Big Bad without too much damage to themselves. Except for the party member who got bitten by the werewolf and doesn't know if biting is how lycanthropy is transmitted. He'll just have to wait and see... snicker.

Tomorrow it's back to one of the other guys DMing Pathfinder.
Do you swap between campaigns? Or do you do discreet adventures every time? Weaving a few different systems and GMs in would be interesting.

Do you swap between campaigns? Or do you do discreet adventures every time? Weaving a few different systems and GMs in would be interesting.

Swap between campaigns. For ages it was just one guy doing all the DMing and the rest of us playing. Over about 10 years he DM'd us through two 1st to 20th level D&D 3.5 campaigns (Shackled City and Savage Tides), 1 D20 Modern campaign, a RuneQuest campaign and a D20 Future one.

A couple of years ago I stuck my hand up and said I'd like to have a go at DMing Call of Cthulhu as I'd owned the system for ages but never actually played it(*). So I've just finished running the guys through The Masks of Nyarlathotep and recently started them on a CoC Modern campaign called Nocturnum that will take at least a couple more years to complete.

We take turns and we usually decide at the end of one session which one we'll play next week. If we're in the middle of something we'll generally stick with what we're on for continuity purposes but it balances out at about equal time between both campaigns.

(*) As you can tell by my avatar and previous BF existence, I'm a fan of the genre.

Wings of War, then Cash & Guns, then another Wings of War.

WoW is a great little game. Helps when your host has BOXES AND BOXES of models so you get a bit of variation.

We played three on three, first game with even planes, the second game with three tough British planes against two lighter German planes plus a two-seater with rear gun. The glorious British destroyed the dirty Hun twice.

IMG_1453.JPG

IMG_1454.JPG

Star Wars: X-Wing is one of the illegitimate children of Wings of War, or as they sell it now Wings of Glory. It's a good pedigree.
Yes I got the full history from our host. I have to get the starter and a few planes now. It is good fun.

Last weekend played 7 Wonders twice....then Pandemic....then Dominion with Hinterlands and ended up with a very drunk game of Yahtzee!

Played 7 wonders too, it was... ok. I like the simplicity of the gameplay, in contrast to, say, civilisation, which is just seriously complicated and difficult. Mind you, I'm not sure it'd have the best replayability.

Yahtzee, brings back good memories for me :)

One game a highly recommend with 5 or 6 players is Libertalia. This is a game in which each player gets a selection of pirates, collecting treasures and earning money each round.

Sort of a bluffing game with a high degree of variation - everyone starts with the same cards to select from, but might select them in different order, which impacts which treasure you get and the order of actions. Each round, there'll be a different selction of pirates available, so there's plenty of variation. Pretty text heavy, but if you get to know the cards, it's great fun!

Other game I played was Istanbul, which is a worker placement style game. Not bad, but again, seemed a bit limited for replayability. You are a merchant and have to acquire gems, by earning money or trading goods. It's nice and accessible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back