2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

What does this even mean. I have been on big footy for 6 months and dont know what this means/

Efa = essential fatty acids or electronic facilities Australia or edited for accuracy .not to be confused with FFs. That means fit for service or .ffs+1 that means fit for service and would like to bring a friend.

Geez we look deep!

danny-glover-s-thoughtful-nod-o.gif

Can't see Nelson or Hill keeping Masten out of the side.

Our depth is really starting to grow.:thumbsu:

I only chose Nelson as we would otherwise be playing a midfielder out of the backline.
Masten is the better player but can only really be selected as a midfielder and is probably with Hutchings and Duggan fighting for that last midfielder spot in the 22.
I don't see him as being a similar enough player to substitute him with Hill.

I only chose Nelson as we would otherwise be playing a midfielder out of the backline.
Masten is the better player but can only really be selected as a midfielder and is probably with Hutchings and Duggan fighting for that last midfielder spot in the 22.
I don't see him as being a similar enough player to substitute him with Hill.

Understand what your saying.

Out of that side Jetta, Yeo, Duggan and dare I say it Le cras could play off the half back flank. (reported that Le cras had trained down back this preseason and even said he could play back in spells this season). So could McGovern if the opposition played three tall forwards.

That's five players who could cover Nelson.

Sheed, Cripps, Duggan, Jetta, Redden, Shuey, Lycett, Naitanui, Darling, Gaff, Priddis and Masten can all play / rest in a forward pocket and cover Hill.

Both forward pockets will become a rotation position to rest other players due to limited rotations in 2016.

Nelson and Hill won't be able to run all day and collect 25-30 possessions and help cover lower bench rotations. Masten can.

Hill needs to start playing effectively further up the ground to claim a spot. Both Nelson and Hill are quality players but if everyone is fit and in form they would need to be in exceptional form to claim a best 22 spot. If they do we will be in great shape.:thumbsu:

Last edited:
What does this even mean. I have been on big footy for 6 months and dont know what this means/

Edited For Accuracy.
ew, Duggan still looks like a pre pubescent teen. On the other hand Darling looks like he was hand sculpted by god and gifted to us.

Facially, yes, but have you seen his beastly thighs? He's a penetrating kick for a reason.

My thoughts on the "interesting" components of our squad.

McKenzie - his return will necessitate a rethink of our defensive strategy from last year. The challenge will be juggling him, Schofield and McGovern in a way that doesn't result in our backline losing our rebounding power. Ultimately the web failed badly in the GF as the Hawks sliced it to pieces on the G, McKenzie would have been a huge in.

Duggin - arrived with the falling hook around kick into Kennedy's wheelhouse. Then he arrived again, and again and again and again... right up until Selwood returned and we decided to run Phar Lap in England...

Redden - dunno much about him seems injured a lot. Is he Priddis's ultimate succession plan or does he improve our midfield from day dot?

Jetta - will improve our midfield. Makes us dangerous with his imaginary spear.

Brown - Is behind McKenzie, McGovern and Schofield so has no role other than depth. I hope we don't "create" a role to accommodate his as it will stuff our structures.

Hill - I'm a fan of his, recognising that he plays in one of the hardest positions on the ground. I DONT CARE if he only gets 5 possessions for the game for 3 goals. That's his job. A confidence player I think benefits from the odd kick up the arse at selection. Might need the odd week or two midseason cooling his heels, just to re-stoke the fire in the belly.

Hurn - if McGovern plays CHB does Hurn unseat Sheppard or Wellingham at HBF? Just sayin'

Masten - I don't underestimate the value of link-up players - hard runners who create options through the midfield. But in modern footy that cant be your only role. Not enough goals, not enough contested footy, not exactly quick, tackles don't stick, doesn't rack up huge possessions - doesn't impact during clutch games. If there is general improvement from our up and coming mids he'll get overtaken

Yeo - love his marking power through our midfield but needs to reduce the gap between his best and worst. Fingers crossed he takes the next step

McGovern - I don't actually mind the thought of him in the ruck. Gives us marking power through the midfield to be a good foil for NicNat. Don't mind him at CHB either. Nor do I mind him at CHF...

Darling - overall had a really s**t year last year. Missed the first half, had a couple of good games then got progressively worse. Hopefully he's had a good pre-season because he could actually end up playing as our third tall if McGovern moves forward. If he finds top form in that structure we will have a dominant forward line

With Masten to be out for the next 10 weeks. my side for round 1.
FB Hurn Mackenzie Wellingham
HB Shepard Mcgovern Jett
C Sheed Priddis Gaff
HF Yeo Darling Lecras
FF Cripps Kennedy Lycett
C Naitanui Shuey Redden
B Duggan Schofield Butler Hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HB Shepard Mcgovern Jett
C Sheed Priddis Gaff
HF Yeo Darling Lecras
FF Cripps Kennedy Lycett
C Naitanui Shuey Redden

That's where it's at. Hutchings plays if one of Sheed/Redden aren't ready. Butler in competitor with Ellis.

Time to dispel some myths now that I have more stats from 2015...

Hurn launched the second most scores in the league from defensive 50 in the AFL. He is our best kick and rated as the third best kick in the league. He is the only player to be in the top 20 for both short and long kicks.

Hill had the fourth best kick rating of any general forward in the league and was the 12th most effective player at inside 50 entries. He rated elite for forward half pressure acts, generating the 14th most points from his pressure. This tells me he was a lot more valuable than just his 40 goals last season.

Priddis is polarising to fans because he is a defensive mid. A big part of why we win is because we stop our opposition from getting centre clearances. I love attacking play as much as the next fan but not much point if your points differential is in the negative.

All three of these guys are B22. Selection should be a bit easier now that Masten is out for a few weeks.

HB Shepard Mcgovern Jett
C Sheed Priddis Gaff
HF Yeo Darling Lecras
FF Cripps Kennedy Lycett
C Naitanui Shuey Redden
Thinking exactly the same B22 list of players. Just hope Sheed and Redden will be ready and we don't get any more midfield injuries before round 1. Although Hutchings slotting in will be fine. Not sure who would be next in line though? Could easily see them choosing one from a very diverse bunch of players.

Hurn launched the second most scores in the league from defensive 50 in the AFL. He is our best kick and rated as the third best kick in the league. He is the only player to be in the top 20 for both short and long kicks.

Hill had the fourth best kick rating of any general forward in the league and was the 12th most effective player at inside 50 entries. He rated elite for forward half pressure acts, generating the 14th most points from his pressure. This tells me he was a lot more valuable than just his 40 goals last season.

Priddis is polarising to fans because he is a defensive mid. A big part of why we win is because we stop our opposition from getting centre clearances. I love attacking play as much as the next fan but not much point if your points differential is in the negative.

All three of these guys are B22. Selection should be a bit easier now that Masten is out for a few weeks.

Our top 3 most underrated players right there.

Thinking exactly the same B22 list of players. Just hope Sheed and Redden will be ready and we don't get any more midfield injuries before round 1. Although Hutchings slotting in will be fine. Not sure who would be next in line though? Could easily see them choosing one from a very diverse bunch of players.
unfortunatley someone like mcginnity will be next in line. Lot of hype around partington and snadden this off season, maybe they could sneak in for a debut if they impress in the nab cup.

I've been watching through some replays of last year's games and Hill's field kicking in general play was sublime. It is an underrated aspect of his game.

Masten - I don't underestimate the value of link-up players - hard runners who create options through the midfield. But in modern footy that cant be your only role. Not enough goals, not enough contested footy, not exactly quick, tackles don't stick, doesn't rack up huge possessions - doesn't impact during clutch games. If there is general improvement from our up and coming mids he'll get overtaken
I'm not saying he's great but that's a bit off the mark. Up until Rd 18 he was averaging about 28 possessions a game with a season high 43 in Rd 7.

I'm not saying he's great but that's a bit off the mark. Up until Rd 18 he was averaging about 28 possessions a game with a season high 43 in Rd 7.
was also averaging 26 in 2013 and and averaged 25 disposals a game last year. for an outside player thats very good.

I'm not saying he's great but that's a bite off the mark. Up until Rd 18 he was averaging about 28 possessions a game with a season high 43 in Rd 7.
Essential Fatty Acids

Remove this Banner Ad

Back