Autopsy Round 7, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Free Kick Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Jake Waterman is having some sort of year, and the great thing is if he does get an elite lock down defender put on him he has the capacity and willingness to push up the ground and work into the game. He's a very hard guy to match up on.

Really missing Allen and Flynn, goes without saying. Allen is a superstar, think with how long he's been out we've forgotten slightly how good he is. With the emergence of the Snakes final form they can wreak havoc for the next decade. Both can play CHF or FF. Love Jake in the goal square and Allen doing Riewoldt impressions up the ground

Without Reid or Hewitt there's a lack of real power and class around stoppage. Yeo as incredible as he is can't do it by himself.

There's plenty of time for Luke Edwards Ginbey and Chess, young men struggle for consistency at the best of times, I see this year as a building year for them to firstly enjoy playing together and secondly become aware that they belong and can impact games individually if they first learn how to play as a collective.

Sheed- thanks for your contributions to the eagles, you'll go down in folklore but it's time to stop man.

This result was significantly engineered by the AFL.
This result was obvious as GC are hard to beat at home.

It played out like many of their home games.

They had periods where the oppo get on top of them and periods of dominance.

Unfortunately their dominant period was longer

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

This result was obvious as GC are hard to beat at home.

It played out like many of their home games.

They had periods where the oppo get on top of them and periods of dominance.

Unfortunately their dominant period was longer

both things can be true

the umpiring heavily favoured GC, and we were weakened during the week by a ridiculous tribunal decision against our key defender

it doesn't mean it's the reason we lost, but it doesn't exactly leave a good taste

Tk has been really underwhelming this year. He has had games he’s got plenty but butchered the ball. He’s also had games where he just has been quiet. Really expected him to thrive and be that classy receiver with Yeo and Reid in the side
Given how brilliant TKs best is, he certainly can look really average at times - be it poor kicking, giving away frees etc.

We.need.to.find.some.real.wingers

Enough said.

I’d like to move Ginbey to a wing permanently. Reads the play well and covers for his poor pace. On the other wing just a rotation of Hough, Brockman and Petch. Move Hunt back to the HBF

I think the times come to give up on Chesser, Edwards and Hunt in these roles

would be easy to expect a lot given our past two weeks but whilst today we may have been a bit down we’ve still come so, so far from where we were.

A 6 goal loss, now add Barrass back and some impartial umpires and that conservatively is back to 3 goals against a team built on top 10 picks that just took 3 to 12 kids in the country for heck all, on their deck on the biggest trip across the country with one of our best players rested.

Miles ahead of where we were.

The bullshit is that the AFL were never going to let us win that game and it showed. The worst team since Fitzroy all of a sudden beating a team solely compiled through the top of the draft with the amount of concessions they’ve received and their hotshot new coach installed. Just too embarrassing for the WWEAFL to allow. I’m glad we rested Harley.

AFL needs to stop this academy rort bullshit when it comes to picking three top players for a handful of magic beans. This league is about to become unwatchable and I sat through every game of 2020-22.

Enough said.

I’d like to move Ginbey to a wing permanently. Reads the play well and covers for his poor pace. On the other wing just a rotation of Hough, Brockman and Petch. Move Hunt back to the HBF

Chesser needs to go back to the WAFL and given a different position. Whether thats inside mid, half back or whatever. His current role isnt working for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this was a winnable game by WC who didn’t seem to want to pick a side that would do the job

I felt a bit like this too early in the week when the news of Harley rested announced.

At that point I thought we aren't really balls to the wall serious about flying up the ladder

I think resting HR was fair though but just thought he could've matched GC where they are clearly superior, in the guts.

Great effort from the team besides that third term. I'm not disappointed that we lost the game. We were missing some of our best players such as Reid (being rested), Allen, Hewitt, Long and Flynn plus we had to travel all the way to the other side of the country which likely fatigued us add to the bad umpiring that favoured them one sided and we are in rebuild mode.

This likely would've been one of those 100 point losses last year and we got that down to 37 against a team that's filled with top 10 picks, in decent form and at home plus bad umpiring is a great effort regardless. Next week we face Essendon who are an improving side at home, if we get Reid and Long back then it'll help the team a lot and the club will be a chance to win.

I'd persist with Chesser but put him on the inside since he looks to be better being an inside receiver since he lack positional knowledge required to be a wingman. If he's playing a Marsden defensive wingman role then that needs to stop and get him into the contest to provide extra numbers on the inside while being ready to receive.

I'm for leaving H.Edwards back into the side but dropping Witherden when Barrass returns. Rotham can play on those mid sized forwards or smaller Darling sized KPFs.

With the efforts we've shown, the club looks like it can finish anywhere from 15th at worst to 12th with us being competitive against top contending teams and being able to put away the bad teams. Main goal would be no more 100 point losses EVER again.

Enough said.

Culley!!

Couldn’t watch live and just finished the replay.

Third quarter aside it was a pretty solid effort. Those 3 goals late also hurt shifting a credible 3 goal loss into dropping a game by 6 goals

Free kicks were bullshit. We did give away several ill disciplined frees that were genuinely there but there was also a lot of soft frees they got which we didn’t seem to get in similar circumstances. King was also paid two marks that he didn’t control for long enough imo

Negatives
• Centre clearances were dismal courtesy of an armchair ride from Witts and the men in green
• Simply couldn’t get it out of our back half in the 3rd quarter as the quick and daring ball movement from recent weeks dries up. Too many kicks down the line to a contest or, even worse, to nowhere in particular
• Too much left to too few with several players unable to make the same sort of contribution as the last 2-3 weeks

Positives
• Didn’t give up and kept fighting until the last 5 minutes where it was evident they had run out of petrol tickets
• All things considered, the defence held up pretty well with the amount of ball coming in
• Another 4 goals from limited opportunities for Waterman. He worked hard up the ground too
• Ryan got through the game unscathed. Had little impact unfortunately but should be better for the run
• Yeo had another strong game but weight of numbers through the middle eventually wore him down
• Rotham was solid again in defence and I thought Harry Edwards played pretty well for his first game of the year
• Petruccelle had some good moments through the midfield. Drifted out a bit too but he continues to show something
• Took the goal scoring opportunities that did present that helped keep us in the game
• Darling moved to second all time on our goal kicking list

Disappointing result in some ways and a bit of a regression from what had been some really positive growth

Need to make sure this is our floor as to what’s acceptable as we hit a tough patch of games against Essendon (h), Collingwood (a) and Melbourne (h)

It should also be noted that Gold Coast had 13x R1 picks with most weighted towards the pointy end

We had 4 with only one of those in the top 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back