Autopsy Round 9, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Just noticed Collingwood play Adelaide at the MCG this week, so 2 home games in a row against interstate teams that finished outside the 8 last year.
Meanwhile we continue to play top teams week after week only having played one team near us on the ladder, whom we beat.
Gotta love this FIXturing.

Way too tall.
BWilliams out. Allen Williams Snake Maric might even be pushing it, though Maric & Snake are very agile.
We desperately need a very good opportunistic forward, and a couple quick & high pressure forwards. Noah Long doesn't fit either category. Not sure where he gets to.
Theres going to be mids and others rotating through.

No finals contending team would have witherden in defence. Brisbane paid his salary for him to join us .
Sure he is playing alright but its like when we had maginnity he played alright too but everyone knew he wasn't up to scratch going forward , he played anyway because its all we had at the time .
Witherden was in our top 5 yesterday under massive pressure.

Brisbane also told Jack redden he wouldn’t get a game in the midfield at the eagles.

Without Yeo our midfield stocks at this stage is abysmal in the short term

Against Collingwood we had Kelly as the only A Grade player then an undersized youngish ruckman in Williams, A couple of very young midfielders in Reid & Ginbey and Sheed who the game has well & truly passed by. Petro may have made a slight impact but got injured early.

The back end of the 2nd quarter was the last couple of years all over again so a positive was that we were more competitive after that so avoided a 100 point drubbing.

Quite a few of the young players continue to be reasonably impressive

I think that's why you never heard TK mentioned around leadership roles. It's just not his buzz
Has Yeo ever been in the leadership role ever? I think from a senior player you need at least an effort. To his credit he lifted immensely last week when Yeo went down and played with a high intensity. You need to see that form of effort each week

Just noticed Collingwood play Adelaide at the MCG this week, so 2 home games in a row against interstate teams that finished outside the 8 last year.
Meanwhile we continue to play top teams week after week only having played one team near us on the ladder, whom we beat.
Gotta love this FIXturing.
You do realise we’ve already played every top eight side from last year except Melbourne (Kings Birthday) already? Are we just not meant to play bottom ten sides at all?

I don’t think the fixture boogie man is out to get you.

You do realise we’ve already played every top eight side from last year except Melbourne (Kings Birthday) already? Are we just not meant to play bottom ten sides at all?

True but this year 4 of 9 so far - Haw, WC, StK and Bris with 5 of the next 6 also currently outside the 8

Not too bad for last years Premiers

Yes actually I noticed that when I checked but it didn't fit my agenda so it didn't get a mention.
But, including us that is now 3 teams that finished outside the 8 for you and 5 for us including Dogs that finished 9th by a draw.
Also the boogie man doesn't make the FIXture, the same people that do it every year do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Explain getting 2x 6 day breaks in a row, the first coming off the longest trip in footy against a team with a 9 day break, then having to travel against a team with a 7 day break, who hasn't left Victoria since gather round.

This is off the back of the AFL CEO admitting recently that the fixture is unfair on interstate sides, specifically the WA ones.

TK is just a different cat. Footy is just his job vs Yeo - all heart on the sleeve.

TK is bloody good at his job which is great but the optics aren't as palatable when we are being flogged.

What we know is TK has children that were a handful in Geelong and I presume nothing much has changed now they are older with disabilities..
He probably is still expected to carry his share of family life whilst being a professional footballer..
Excuses I know but some other players have no meaning ful life distractions and can concentrate more on the footy side of things ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Explain getting 2x 6 day breaks in a row, the first coming off the longest trip in footy against a team with a 9 day break, then having to travel against a team with a 7 day break, who hasn't left Victoria since gather round.

This is off the back of the AFL CEO admitting recently that the fixture is unfair on interstate sides, specifically the WA ones.
Did you get two six day breaks in a row? Every single game of yours this season has been a Saturday or a Sunday thus far so I don’t get how they can even be possible?

We play five of our nine games against interstate sides away this year, which is absolutely fine but I’m not quite sure where you expect us to play our games against fellow Victorian sides if not in the state?

Anyway, I see this is going to be a wasteful argument so I apologise for the intrusion. I mistook the post I responded to for being genuinely upset at the difficulty or lack thereof of our fixture over a two week cherry picked sample size and hoped to provide further context. All the best for the season.

Did you get two six day breaks in a row? Every single game of yours this season has been a Saturday or a Sunday thus far so I don’t get how they can even be possible?

You're right, that's my mistake but traveling off a shorter break, vs a team that hasn't traveled for 4 weeks, is poor fixturing, especially when the previous travel was off a 6 day break, where they lose a full day anyway, due to the distance traveled.

We play five of our nine games against interstate sides away this year, which is absolutely fine but I’m not quite sure where you expect us to play our games against fellow Victorian sides if not in the state?

Probably don't schedule teams coming off massive road trips to get shorter breaks, for starters. There's plenty of other clubs in Melbourne WCE could've been fixtures to play, for example.

Anyway, I see this is going to be a wasteful argument so I apologise for the intrusion. I mistook the post I responded to for being genuinely upset at the difficulty or lack thereof of our fixture over a two week cherry picked sample size and hoped to provide further context. All the best for the season.
We play Melbourne now coming off a 10 day break, btw, this one's the 6 day break I got confused with, after traveling.

I'm sure if we win, the travel factor will be made as an excuse for Melbourne.

This isn't a whinge about Collingwood, by the way. It's just the dumb AFL fixturing we have to put up with year after year.

Look how easy Geelong's start to the year has been compared to WCE, or instance? I was under the impression that the higher you are on the ladder, the harder the draw. Sure, they missed finals last year but they won the flag the year before and got the softest start imaginable.

You're right, that's my mistake but traveling off a shorter break, vs a team that hasn't traveled for 4 weeks, is poor fixturing, especially when the previous travel was off a 6 day break, where they lose a full day anyway, due to the distance traveled.

Probably don't schedule teams coming off massive road trips to get shorter breaks, for starters. There's plenty of other clubs in Melbourne WCE could've been fixtures to play, for example.

We play Melbourne now coming off a 10 day break, btw, this one's the 6 day break I got confused with, after traveling.

I'm sure if we win, the travel factor will be made as an excuse for Melbourne.

This isn't a whinge about Collingwood, by the way. It's just the dumb AFL fixturing we have to put up with year after year.

Look how easy Geelong's start to the year has been compared to WCE, or instance? I was under the impression that the higher you are on the ladder, the harder the draw. Sure, they missed finals last year but they won the flag the year before and got the softest start imaginable.
Feel I’m outstaying my welcome but there’s merit to your clarification so glad to respond (please indulge me :p ).

I personally hadn’t found Geelong’s early season form much to write home about as they’d scarcely played a contender in that winning streak. That said, I do feel (and have felt for a while) that the banded fixtures compromise the actual relative strengths of teams and their final finishing (ladder) position, but not to such a degree that any side that misses finals genuinely could have considered themselves to be contenders missing solely due to their draws. It does somewhat reduce the occurrence of drubbings and has been a good thing for the competition, and probably, overall, has been a good thing. Agree with you though that the comp could afford to give a little more focus to recovery equity and a little less to manufacturing attendance. It needs to be the next priority imo. The floating fixture in the last third of the year is a gripe of mine for similar reasons.

Witherden was in our top 5 yesterday under massive pressure.

Brisbane also told Jack redden he wouldn’t get a game in the midfield at the eagles.
🤷‍♂️ we are not a top 8 team are we ?

We also had almost all the goals kicked against us by small and medium size players .

I'm not potting witherden for his intent he just leaks goals due to being treacle slow

Scary how putrid our midfield is without Yeo. Not only can’t use the ball well but he now has lost the ability to accumulate. TK was non existent existent yesterday and too flaky without a Yeo
I think it's as simple as some players are leaders. They inspire those around them and have the authority, the presence and the ability to get more out of their teammates.

We've got one on each line:
  • Yeo
  • Gov
  • and Waterman(!) - probably Allen too but not as charismatic.

They're worth more than the sum of their, very good, parts.

Without them we're terrible as we lose their ability and in their cases - their structural importance - but also their intangibles.

Without Yeo our midfield stocks at this stage is abysmal in the short term

Against Collingwood we had Kelly as the only A Grade player then an undersized youngish ruckman in Williams, A couple of very young midfielders in Reid & Ginbey and Sheed who the game has well & truly passed by. Petro may have made a slight impact but got injured early.

The back end of the 2nd quarter was the last couple of years all over again so a positive was that we were more competitive after that so avoided a 100 point drubbing.

Quite a few of the young players continue to be reasonably impressive
Keep getting told how good Chesser is, why didn't he get a go if we were that depleted

Oh No Please GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back