Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s pretty big for his age but I’m hoping Barnett turns him self to unit like a Briggs. He isn’t that tall for a modern ruck (still decent height) and while he does have a decent leap he isn’t an athletic freak like most of the athletic rucks. As much as I want a compentent ruck, I really don’t want English as he is likely not gonna be there when we challenge again
I don't know, Barnett feels like he'll develop more into an English-mobile ruckman than a Briggs to me.

Three new customers in front of us spent the whole game barracking for their multi's, bit annoying. A woman and her bunter son behind us just shouted random words and grunts. Just to make me feel at home though the couple in the row in front still came out with "don't kick it there" every time we tried to switch the play, as they have done for the last 5 years.

'bunter son' ???? bunter usually refers to a low class whore.

I don't know, Barnett feels like he'll develop more into an English-mobile ruckman than a Briggs to me.
Probably a lot more of an English than Briggs. Briggs is a Beast with skills. pretty sure Jackson, English, Grundy, Cox Cameron, et al will struggle against him.

Reckon you’re probably right but I actually not huge on him with ball in hand. Yeah it’s early days but always thought he was shody with ball in hand.

#14 Liam Duggan

The above is from Alesana’s excellent thread of video highlights and is all Duggan’s involvements

And the below is his heatmap from the game

29FAC1DE-3FA2-44B2-8BE9-749497B54B47.jpeg

He was our leading disposal getter and in metres gained (albeit with 5 kickins) with a disposal efficiency of 79%

Seen plenty bagging him out as having a poor game which neither the video or stats support. In fact they show the opposite

Also seen complaints that Simpson needs to get him out of the midfield when that’s what he did. Duggan had zero CBA’s and 80% of his disposals were in the back half

At the ground I thought he’d had a pretty solid game and was surprised at his game being described as poor

He had a good game

The above is from Alesana’s excellent thread of video highlights and is all Duggan’s involvements

View attachment 1939567

He was our leading disposal getter and in metres gained (albeit with 5 kickins) with a disposal efficiency of 79%

Seen plenty bagging him out as having a poor game which neither the video or stats support. In fact they show the opposite

Also seen complaints that Simpson needs to get him out of the midfield when that’s what he did. Duggan had zero CBA’s and 80% of his disposals were in the back half

At the ground I thought he’d had a pretty solid game and was surprised at his game being described as poor

He had a good game
Agreed. Was far more composed than last week and kicked within his ability which were the two main differences. Fingers crossed Burgiel gets the call up this week, those two and Hough would be a good small/medium combo if we stick with the 3 other tall defenders in the back 6.

View attachment 1939567

He had a good game
I reckon the grand total of 0 CBAs on Sunday had a fair bit to do with it. Half-back is Duggan's best position without a doubt and we'd be remiss to change that going forward.

Duggans shown he can rack it and he’s also shown he can do it while using the ball well. Unfortunately a lot of his footy of late been either not finding enough of the ball or finding it but turning it over heap. He doesn’t need to be an. Elite ball ymuser but he’d be one heck of a player if he was using it well while racking it. He’s 27 so it’s now or really never for him to take that step up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

River room isn't 'the masses' you yuppy private school son of a bitch

Mad Arthur GIF by MOODMAN

Best my seats ever got was the occasional loaf of bread 🍞
LOL

It's no Sports Lounge where a can of smirnoff is loose change for a mere $14.90

65 points, I'll take it. Considering for our first 2 games we have played the 1st and 3rd ranked teams as the end of this round we haven't had any 100 point smashing yet.

Sure it's been a rough watch but there been plenty of green shoots and I think when we get teams that are not as clean and turn over a little more you'll see us be much more competitive. Looking at the stats and it's more encouraging again.

View attachment 1938584
For our inside work was reasonable again for the second week in a row. We were less effective in the centre but around the ground our inside game was actually pretty damn good.

The other thing we did reasonably well was putting pressure on and causing turn-overs. it might not have looked like it but...
View attachment 1938586
We had as much ball as they did and caused them to turn it over more than we did. The main issue was ours were so much more costly. once again got killed on the spread and on the outside of the contest. when we caused a turn over they were able to put more pressure on it where as when we did it went coast to coast.

Ginbey - 20+ possessions
Chesser - 16 possessions (Much better in the second half)
Another good game from Reid.

Gameplan has clearly changed. Excellent first Qtr pressure.
Plenty to take away from the first two games of the season.
this really highlights the damage our poor skill levels do to us. do all the hard work for a shitty handball and its a goal to them.
when we stuffed up, they always ran down to kick a goal. they they stuffed up, we tried a few things then turned it over again.

Was a much better game from Duggan than last week.

I read in another thread that Kelly's defensive running picked up which I must say I hadn't noticed. But I noticed the first goal to GWS where he was just cruising into the D50 without committing to help his teammates. Good to hear it may have changed after that. However something that irritates me with him is the one handed pick up or tap attempts in congestion. He never bodylines the ball and contests it fully. The amount of times the GWS player body lined the ball and only had to deal with a Kelly arm as opposed to his whole body happened too many times.

People harsh on Ginbey. I liked his game and worked into it.

Hough great job on Greene even if disposal was 50/50.

Darling a bit better at creating a contest when Taylor didn't mark the ball. in fairness to him our kicking made it easy for Taylor all day.

I like the look of Maric. I think there should be a spot for him in the team. He reads the play well has good skills and is clean.

Liked Waterman's game again. Good start to the season.

Something with our team that I have been annoyed at for a long time is the pants shitting disposal we have. Senior players unwilling to absorb the contact and make the right decision. Reid in 2 games has shown how drawing the player taking the contact and looking to move the ball on to the right option is what makes him stand out immediately. Our seniors need to be prepared to do that more than taking the easy option of sideways or bombing.

McGovern was good.
Barrass was solid. My only bug bear with him is I feel like he has to go to ground when taking the intercept mark even if it uncontested. Insted of hitting the ground on his feet still ready to move the ball he is getting up off the deck while our exists are being closed.

I feel like Yeo is building confidence back in his body and potentially soon we will see Yeo classic.

There is somehting else which could be a mindset thing. Is that a couple of times we won the footy and tried to exit the congestion sideways by hands to people out side of the congestion and they were back peddling or flat footed. there was a great example on our half forward flank where Yeo won the ball and flicked it sideways to what would have been just in front of Cripps had he been moving forward but he was flat footed and the ball went out of bounds. There were a few other examples not quite as glaring as this and I assume it comes down to having confidence that your teammate is going to win the ball and you can start moving.

Yep.Yo did a few shoddy handballs.
What’s with Waterman getting so close to the man on the mark? He then skies the ball , he can kick 50 no problem . Forwards coach where are you??

Was a much better game from Duggan than last week.

I read in another thread that Kelly's defensive running picked up which I must say I hadn't noticed. But I noticed the first goal to GWS where he was just cruising into the D50 without committing to help his teammates. Good to hear it may have changed after that. However something that irritates me with him is the one handed pick up or tap attempts in congestion. He never bodylines the ball and contests it fully. The amount of times the GWS player body lined the ball and only had to deal with a Kelly arm as opposed to his whole body happened too many times.

People harsh on Ginbey. I liked his game and worked into it.

Hough great job on Greene even if disposal was 50/50.

Darling a bit better at creating a contest when Taylor didn't mark the ball. in fairness to him our kicking made it easy for Taylor all day.

I like the look of Maric. I think there should be a spot for him in the team. He reads the play well has good skills and is clean.

Liked Waterman's game again. Good start to the season.

Something with our team that I have been annoyed at for a long time is the pants shitting disposal we have. Senior players unwilling to absorb the contact and make the right decision. Reid in 2 games has shown how drawing the player taking the contact and looking to move the ball on to the right option is what makes him stand out immediately. Our seniors need to be prepared to do that more than taking the easy option of sideways or bombing.

McGovern was good.
Barrass was solid. My only bug bear with him is I feel like he has to go to ground when taking the intercept mark even if it uncontested. Insted of hitting the ground on his feet still ready to move the ball he is getting up off the deck while our exists are being closed.

I feel like Yeo is building confidence back in his body and potentially soon we will see Yeo classic.

There is somehting else which could be a mindset thing. Is that a couple of times we won the footy and tried to exit the congestion sideways by hands to people out side of the congestion and they were back peddling or flat footed. there was a great example on our half forward flank where Yeo won the ball and flicked it sideways to what would have been just in front of Cripps had he been moving forward but he was flat footed and the ball went out of bounds. There were a few other examples not quite as glaring as this and I assume it comes down to having confidence that your teammate is going to win the ball and you can start moving.

I like the obvious changes to the way we are trying to play:

Handball through pressure
Win contested ball
Win ground ball
Bring the ball back through the middle

Nothing unique here but it is a good start for the future. Ideally we can introduce a number of new themes each week/fortnight/month that will further improve us (timelines may vary depending on how easy each is to get in place):

Clean up ball use, both kicking and handballing
Add speed to ball movement
Structure team defence when we have the ball (I.e. not all defenders and mids can run for possession - as a team they need to sacrifice at times to defend potential turnovers)
I50 entry improvement

There are many other areas as well of course, but if we keep the effort and contest up as well as slowly improving these basic areas the wheel will turn faster than we think it will

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not a lot of positives to be honest as the 4 games so far, including pre season have been pretty much the same regarding margins and issues which dosen't seem to have been addressed so far.

Losing Flynn structure wise has been far from ideal as highlighted in this game.

The real negative though is forward half pressure which has been abysmal. GWS had 13 tackles inside 50 compared to a paltry 2 from us. This leads directly to a lopsided Inside 50 differential.

With no pressure the ball is sling shotting back into our defense putting the team under a lot of pressure and is probably why there is a higher proportion of goals given up late in quarters.

Not a lot of positives to be honest as the 4 games so far, including pre season have been pretty much the same regarding margins and issues which dosen't seem to have been addressed so far.

Losing Flynn structure wise has been far from ideal as highlighted in this game.

The real negative though is forward half pressure which has been abysmal. GWS had 13 tackles inside 50 compared to a paltry 2 from us. This leads directly to a lopsided Inside 50 differential.

With no pressure the ball is sling shotting back into our defense putting the team under a lot of pressure and is probably why there is a higher proportion of goals given up late in quarters.
As I keep banging on its hard to pressure when we either kick it high for Taylor/Andrews etc to mark or we kick to a two on one with an undersized JD getting hammered in two on one contests.
Packing everybody in defence to limit the damage doesn’t help.
Can’t wait for Ryan’s return; somebody who can actually pick the right option and kick.
Does anybody think our forwards coach has instigated set plays? Kicking to space, using our mosquito fleet.Kicking over the leading forwards head making them stop and turn. Anything except the “bomb”

I don't know about that, betting might be our only solace and may provide some beer money to drown sorrows:

View attachment 1939417
Or in case we spring a surprise - only 2 games (GC away bizarrely and Bombers home) don't bring a positive return on betting $50 on every game as our first win, with some pretty juicy odds on pinching a late season win:

View attachment 1939418
Umm, is that Sportsbet?...asking for a friend. :rolleyes:

View attachment 1939567

He had a good game
I thought the same thing. Was unable to watch the game but watched some player highlights.

Duggan was pretty good, with one horrible handball completely missing the target but that looked like the only mistake.

Yeo was praised for his game but in his video highlights there were some pretty ordinary disposals (not that that makes it a bad game).

Watching Hunt's highlights and I think he might be my favourite Eagle at the moment, love his style of play

View attachment 1939567

He had a good game

I am probably one of the hardest on Duggan in here but he played a solid game, which I acknowledged.

There's definitely a broad spectrum of what different folks think constitutes good football.

I am probably one of the hardest on Duggan in here but he played a solid game, which I acknowledged.

There's definitely a broad spectrum of what different folks think constitutes good football.
I think the best way to break it down is:

Hitting targets = Good football.

OOBOTF = Bad football.

Hopefully Duggan can start playing more good football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back